Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

On 10/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, Scraps said:
On 9/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:
I watched Us from Jordan Peele the other day. Thought it was pretty solid

Watching it now and think it sucks lol

Yea, Us sucked. Especially after how good Get Out was. I haven't seen Nope.

I like old low budget horror because you don't really know what is going to happen next.  

That was true of Messiah of Evil 1975 but the love ended there.  It crossed the line from unpredictable to nonsensical.  Seems like a few first time out of film school flics where a set of scenes are grouped together into a movie.  And the cast were Stepford robots.

Edited by notre dame joe

Movies I’ve watched this month:

- When Evil Lurks (Shudder) This lived up to the hype for me but isn’t a perfect movie by any means. First half is absolute bonkers and I love how foreign horror doesn’t care about our moral restrictions. Nothing is off limits. I think I liked his first movie Terrified more, but it too loses me a little in the final act. (4/5)
- The Boogeyman (Hulu) I put this off forever because it looked terrible but I was pleasantly surprised and wish I had seen it in the theater. Some legit jump scares. Sophie Thatcher can act her ass off. Plus Midnight Sun by Nilufer Yanya is a banger. You might hate it - but I think my expectations were so low, it kinda worked for me. (3/5)
- Lamb - (Sho) Very divisive and probably not horror. If you like art-house folky weird shit like I do, there is something to appreciate here. Beautifully shot and I think Noomi Rapace is fun to watch. (3.5/5)
- Totally Killer - (Prime) If you like Back to the Future and teen slashers, this is for you. Hard not to enjoy. Plus - Julie Bowen. (3/5) Maybe 3.5.
- Masters of Horror/Imprint - (Tubi) If you haven’t watched this series, you should definitely check it out. There are several episodes that are good - I think Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter) is the most well known. This is about Imprint, which is the final episode of season 1 and I think was the only episode Showtime wouldn’t allow to be aired. If you like messed Japanese horror this is up there. One of Takashi Miike’s most f’d up productions. (4/5
- No One Will Save You - (Hulu) I really liked this, but this is absolutely not what you think it’s going to be. What starts off as a pretty straight forward alien abduction plot - turns in to something completely different and actually tells a story that stays with you. What is actually going on is up for debate for sure. (3.5/5)
- Hippopotamus - (Tubi) Not a great movie by any means imo - but definitely worth checking out if you like abduction thrillers with a lot of twists. Would love to get some feedback on what you think is going on in this one. (3/5)
- Alligator - (Tubi) If you are over 45-50 you probably remember this being a big deal when you were a kid. Baby alligator gets flushed, eats toxic waste and turns in to a giant in the sewer. I came across this on Tubi and just threw it on for nostalgia and DAMN does this hold up! Robert Forster is a badass and this movie has some truly epic scenes (wedding). (4/5)
- You Won’t Be Alone (Rent) This is a slow burn, beautifully shot fantasy/horror about an ancient witch that can take the form of humans that she kills. Once again - I’ll watch anything with Noomi Rapace but she’s really on in it for a short time. People lose their shit over this movie so you may too, but for me, it fell a little short of being extraordinary. (4/5)
- Tumbbad - (Prime) Looking for something really different, check out this Indian folk/horror film that follows a man over 30 years and his quest for a family treasure that is being guarded by a demon. (4/5)
- Titane - (Hulu) Does watching a crazy chick serial killer being impregnated by a car do it for you? (4/5)
- Superdeep - (Shudder) Russians drilling the deepest borehole in to hell. Underrated and generally creepy. I liked this more than most. (3.5/5)
- Sputnik - (Hulu) Russians bringing shit back from space. Interesting plot, legit dread. (3.5/5)

Some lesser known “must see” movies that I may have posted about before - Kill List (Shudder), Bone Tomahawk (Tubi), Triangle (Shudder/Tubi), Wicker Man 1974 (Tubi), Host (Shudder), Lake Mungo (Tubi), Psycho Gorman (Shudder), The Loved Ones (Pluto), Bloody Hell (Tubi/Shudder), Hunter/Hunter (that ending holy shit) (Hulu), and knock out Martyrs if you like extreme shit and haven’t seen it. It’s rough but has an interesting plot.

Those of you talking about the Saw movies - maybe check out The Collector and The Collection.

If you have a Letterboxd - follow me at Wutang75.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Alligator - (Tubi) If you are over 45-50 you probably remember this being a big deal when you were a kid. Baby alligator gets flushed, eats toxic waste and turns in to a giant in the sewer. I came across this on Tubi and just threw it on for nostalgia and DAMN does this hold up! Robert Forster is a badass and this movie has some truly epic scenes (wedding). (4/5)

giphy(1).gif.59fa937fd7aaccec19057018a0fdd966.gif

Big fan of that movie...  RIP, Robert. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Movies I’ve watched this month:

- When Evil Lurks (Shudder) This lived up to the hype for me but isn’t a perfect movie by any means. First half is absolute bonkers and I love how foreign horror doesn’t care about our moral restrictions. Nothing is off limits. I think I liked his first movie Terrified more, but it too loses me a little in the final act. (4/5)
- The Boogeyman (Hulu) I put this off forever because it looked terrible but I was pleasantly surprised and wish I had seen it in the theater. Some legit jump scares. Sophie Thatcher can act her ass off. Plus Midnight Sun by Nilufer Yanya is a banger. You might hate it - but I think my expectations were so low, it kinda worked for me. (3/5)
- Lamb - (Sho) Very divisive and probably not horror. If you like art-house folky weird shit like I do, there is something to appreciate here. Beautifully shot and I think Noomi Rapace is fun to watch. (3.5/5)
- Totally Killer - (Prime) If you like Back to the Future and teen slashers, this is for you. Hard not to enjoy. Plus - Julie Bowen. (3/5) Maybe 3.5.
- Masters of Horror/Imprint - (Tubi) If you haven’t watched this series, you should definitely check it out. There are several episodes that are good - I think Cigarette Burns (John Carpenter) is the most well known. This is about Imprint, which is the final episode of season 1 and I think was the only episode Showtime wouldn’t allow to be aired. If you like messed Japanese horror this is up there. One of Takashi Miike’s most f’d up productions. (4/5
- No One Will Save You - (Hulu) I really liked this, but this is absolutely not what you think it’s going to be. What starts off as a pretty straight forward alien abduction plot - turns in to something completely different and actually tells a story that stays with you. What is actually going on is up for debate for sure. (3.5/5)
- Hippopotamus - (Tubi) Not a great movie by any means imo - but definitely worth checking out if you like abduction thrillers with a lot of twists. Would love to get some feedback on what you think is going on in this one. (3/5)
- Alligator - (Tubi) If you are over 45-50 you probably remember this being a big deal when you were a kid. Baby alligator gets flushed, eats toxic waste and turns in to a giant in the sewer. I came across this on Tubi and just threw it on for nostalgia and DAMN does this hold up! Robert Forster is a badass and this movie has some truly epic scenes (wedding). (4/5)
- You Won’t Be Alone (Rent) This is a slow burn, beautifully shot fantasy/horror about an ancient witch that can take the form of humans that she kills. Once again - I’ll watch anything with Noomi Rapace but she’s really on in it for a short time. People lose their shit over this movie so you may too, but for me, it fell a little short of being extraordinary. (4/5)
- Tumbbad - (Prime) Looking for something really different, check out this Indian folk/horror film that follows a man over 30 years and his quest for a family treasure that is being guarded by a demon. (4/5)
- Titane - (Hulu) Does watching a crazy chick serial killer being impregnated by a car do it for you? (4/5)
- Superdeep - (Shudder) Russians drilling the deepest borehole in to hell. Underrated and generally creepy. I liked this more than most. (3.5/5)
- Sputnik - (Hulu) Russians bringing shit back from space. Interesting plot, legit dread. (3.5/5)

Some lesser known “must see” movies that I may have posted about before - Kill List (Shudder), Bone Tomahawk (Tubi), Triangle (Shudder/Tubi), Wicker Man 1974 (Tubi), Host (Shudder), Lake Mungo (Tubi), Psycho Gorman (Shudder), The Loved Ones (Pluto), Bloody Hell (Tubi/Shudder), Hunter/Hunter (that ending holy shit) (Hulu), and knock out Martyrs if you like extreme shit and haven’t seen it. It’s rough but has an interesting plot.

Those of you talking about the Saw movies - maybe check out The Collector and The Collection.

If you have a Letterboxd - follow me at Wutang75.

head-nod-stanley-the-office-sc85zydmg5ox

Saw Crawl a couple years ago and really liked it.  Love a good creature movie, and sometimes even moreso when it's a real world threat, not a sharktopus or a zombeaver.

Watched Feast last night (2005, Freevee on Prime) and it was decent.  Violent creatures trap a lot of people in a bar and try to get in to eat them.  The creatures were a bit low-budget, but the gore was very there and the comedy worked most of the time.  Couldn't predict who would survive, despite the movie itself providing actual written character info for everybody on the screen.  One creature humped a person, another creature face-raped a gal, and two creatures had full on sex with each other - I guess you don't see that a lot in creature flicks.  I see online that it has two sequels - not sure it needs that, but I haven't seen 'em, so who knows. Grade: B, maybe B+.

Then watched We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021, Max).  Didn't get it.  This is horror?  This is what I always pictured Gossip Girl was like.  Grade: D for horror, B- for Gossip Girl.

Edited by TexLonghorn
The two creatures were in the parking lot making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:19 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

maybe a top 10 movie for me all time. bat shit crazy is right. My life for Isabelle Adjani. 

Well, if you like Isabelle Adjani, I'd recommend you watch the 1978 version of Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski.  Not a really scary, gory flick, but very creepy, and beautifully filmed...and Isabelle is rather attractive.

• Drool 1

On 10/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Never seen that, but I do like me some shit on Tubi. 

On the subject of gators, anyone seen this? It’s on my Prime list. 

Crawl

On 10/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, wutang75 said:

Maaaan Crawl is legit. One of those movies where you ask yourself “what would I do in this situation”. You’d get eaten is what.

This was fun, but not good. Worse ways to kill 86 minutes. 

Lead chick is hot (as always), dog is cool. 

On 10/30/2023 at 2:16 AM, TexLonghorn said:

Then watched We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021, Max).  Didn't get it.  This is horror?  This is what I always pictured Gossip Girl was like.  Grade: D for horror, B- for Gossip Girl.

The lead actress is really great, but this was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. It had an interesting premise but just didn't work for me.

I read about Lake Mungo in a list of movies that Mike Flanagan loves, and noticed it streaming on Shudder so I watched it last night. It starts as a "documentary" about what happens to a family after the daughter dies, but it turns into something else as it goes along. I enjoyed it a lot and will be thinking about it for a while.

12 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I always watch 1978 Halloween and 1980 The Changeling, with George C. Scott, during the Halloween season.

I also like 2018 Halloween.  In my head canon, I just pretend 1978 and 2018 are the only Halloweens.

The Changeling with Scott is one of my favorites 

So in Halloween II (1981) Lance Guest’s character Jimmy falls after slipping on some blood and hits his head hard. Later we see him in his car with Laurie in it and he’s trying to start it. Then he passes out with his head on the horn. We never know what happens to him. The TV version had him with his head bandaged in the ambulance with Laurie and they hold hands. But the movie version doesn’t show that. Just leaves it ambiguous but there is a line where one of the cops responds to someone asking what the body count is—10 he says (which probably doesn’t include Jimmy.) it’s really weird. Because I remember as a kid seeing the version on tv where he’s alive and then the other version where he’s just not shown. 
odd as fuck imo. Since they are playing it on TV now on AMC just wish they’d show the other version/ending. 

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So in Halloween II (1981) Lance Guest’s character Jimmy falls after slipping on some blood and hits his head hard. Later we see him in his car with Laurie in it and he’s trying to start it. Then he passes out with his head on the horn. We never know what happens to him. The TV version had him with his head bandaged in the ambulance with Laurie and they hold hands. But the movie version doesn’t show that. Just leaves it ambiguous but there is a line where one of the cops responds to someone asking what the body count is—10 he says (which probably doesn’t include Jimmy.) it’s really weird. Because I remember as a kid seeing the version on tv where he’s alive and then the other version where he’s just not shown. 
odd as fuck imo. Since they are playing it on TV now on AMC just wish they’d show the other version/ending. 

I feel the same way about Brian Dennehy not appearing in Rambo sequels. 

Was the best Hammer Horror Dracula film the first one they made, Horror of Dracula?   It is hard to distinguish the many iterations as they were later known for blood and bewbs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fud's Horrortober wrap-up. Thanks for tuning in

Kwaidan- "Ghost Story" in old Japanese dialect, this is a old anthology of ghost tales from 1964 with an eerie trancelike soundtrack and visuals that are absolutely gorgeous. I have too much horror movie scar tissue to be scared at any moment from a movie like this, but I wonder how people felt watching it back in the day. 10/10 

Scream 6- this was fine, with a mix of good Scream shit and stupid EW level writing. 6.5/10

Terrifier- this is really good for what it is; a throwback grindhouse type of b horror. 7.5/10

Terrifier 2- got damn. The Terrifiers are the best slashers since the early installments of the Halloween, Elmstreet, and Friday the 13th classics, although it's more considerably gory than any of those. 8/10

All Hallows Eve- More Art the Clown. Good low budget gore fest. 7/10

Talk to Me- Solid horror that's talked up as the best horror of the year more due to the lack of competition than anything. I think it's on a similar level to Megan, Smile, and The Black Phone. 7.5/10

Pulse- another movie by Kurosawa that has a large following (I thought Cure was fucking amazing). While there were a couple of effective creepy/scary scenes, I lost track of what was happening in the movie and it mostly didn't do much for me. 6.5/10

VHS 85- I thought the last two sucked, but this one was pretty good, and included a classic and another good episode. 6.5/10

Possession- what the fuck did I just watch? 8/10

When Evil Lurks- Reminded me of "Terrified" (not to be confused with Terrifier). Good shit. 7.5/10

The Wolf House, and Tetsuo The Iron Man- two shorter weird and incoherent avant garde movies that I half watched

Dog Soldiers- 5/10

Pieces- a good old slasher- 7/10

The Boogeyman- solid newer horror. 6.5/10

Come True- more dark sci-fi than horror. Interesting ending. 7/10

Roadgames- I liked the rated R version of this, The Hitcher, better. A braver ending would have been better, but it was a PG movie, so they couldn't do that. 6.5/10

You Won’t Be Alone- if Terrence Malik made a euro witch folk horror. 7/10

Opera- out of the four Argento movies I've now seen, I thought this was the best, but I'm still not a fan. His movies do have smokeshows, and the lead kept up with tradition. 7/10

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, austingirl said:

I really enjoyed this A24 film - I read a list of horror movies Mike Flanagan recommends and this was on it, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Want to do a rewatch soon. And there's a creepy song that'll get stuck in your head.

This movie is excellent 

I mentioned it on this list

• Hook 'Em 1

Fud's Horrortober wrap-up. Thanks for tuning in
Kwaidan- "Ghost Story" in old Japanese dialect, this is a old anthology of ghost tales from 1964 with an eerie trancelike soundtrack and visuals that are absolutely gorgeous. I have too much horror movie scar tissue to be scared at any moment from a movie like this, but I wonder how people felt watching it back in the day. 10/10 
Scream 6- this was fine, with a mix of good Scream shit and stupid EW level writing. 6.5/10
Terrifier- this is really good for what it is; a throwback grindhouse type of b horror. 7.5/10

Terrifier 2- got damn. The Terrifiers are the best slashers since the early installments of the Halloween, Elmstreet, and Friday the 13th classics, although it's more considerably gory than any of those. 8/10

All Hallows Eve- More Art the Clown. Good low budget gore fest. 7/10

Talk to Me- Solid horror that's talked up as the best horror of the year more due to the lack of competition than anything. I think it's on a similar level to Megan, Smile, and The Black Phone. 7.5/10
Pulse- another movie by Kurosawa that has a large following (I thought Cure was fucking amazing). While there were a couple of effective creepy/scary scenes, I lost track of what was happening in the movie and it mostly didn't do much for me. 6.5/10
VHS 85- I thought the last two sucked, but this one was pretty good, and included a classic and another good episode. 6.5/10
Possession- what the fuck did I just watch? 8/10
When Evil Lurks- Reminded me of "Terrified" (not to be confused with Terrifier). Good shit. 7.5/10
The Wolf House, and Tetsuo The Iron Man- two shorter weird and incoherent avant garde movies that I half watched
Dog Soldiers- 5/10
Pieces- a good old slasher- 7/10
The Boogeyman- solid newer horror. 6.5/10
Come True- more dark sci-fi than horror. Interesting ending. 7/10
Roadgames- I liked the rated R version of this, The Hitcher, better. A braver ending would have been better, but it was a PG movie, so they couldn't do that. 6.5/10
You Won’t Be Alone- if Terrence Malik made a euro witch folk horror. 7/10
Opera- out of the four Argento movies I've now seen, I thought this was the best, but I'm still not a fan. His movies do have smokeshows, and the lead kept up with tradition. 7/10

Love the Kwaidan mention. I own this and Onibaba on BluRay. Nothing else like these two films in the world.

• 4 weeks later...