Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

I'm still scarred from seeing The Shining for the first time as a freshman at UT.  You've got to understand, I wasn't allowed to watch anything with violence (i.e. horror movies) growing up.  My parents weren't religious; they just had a thing about violence.  Anyway, I had seen exactly one "scary" movie up until that point - Dreamscape.  So, I'm watching the movie with a few friends on West Campus.  Scared the everliving shit out of me.  THEN, I had to walk to Jester at 2AM and down a couple of those long, at-that-time, empty hallways to get to my dorm.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I don't like slasher movies.  Zombie movies are ok if done correctly - i.e. Romero.  My preference is for the twist and/or shocking moment like...

"You weren't supposed to help her" from The Ring.

I know this isn't a popular opinion but the "standing in the corner" scene from The Blair Witch.

"How do you know somebody died?"  "Because she's standing beside me" The Sixth Sense.

• Like 1

All time favorite is the 80’s The Thing. Just an absolute classic and scared the bejeezus out of Jr High me.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street is up there too.

Hellraiser freaked me out. Event Horizon did too.

Not horror but Predator and Alien had their moments. Gremlins gave me nightmares as a kid.

More recently I thought It Follows was pretty good.

• Like 1

The most disappointing movie I've seen lately was a remake of a 70's horror movie whose name escapes me.  Something about a ballerina going to College Station, I mean, Eastern Europe to dance for a troupe run by witches or some dumb shit.  It was horrible.  What was the name of that movie?

Oh yeah.  Suspiria. Perhaps the original was better.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I agree with The Thing. The John Carpenter version. Snake Plisskin on ice.

Alien is a classic. Its miss-classified as sci-fi. Its horror, and very good, imo.

A more recent movie I liked was The Witch. Starts slow and creepy and rises to outright horror.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Jaws also works as a good horror flick imo. The building tension, the shark appearing when you aren't expecting it, and not appearing when you do expect it. Seeing the barrels pop up rather than seeing the shark. Good stuff.

Too late to edit, so I"ll quote myself:

The soundtrack (for which it won an academy award) adds to the horror. That unmistakable "dahhhh dum" trains the audience to expect the shark. Until the end when the shark appears without the musical intro, which adds to the surprise.

First “scary” movie I remember as a kid was The Terror, mainly for the melting face at the end.  The Legend of Boggy Creek scared the shit of me also.  Then there is The Exorcist, read the book for the swearing but the movie was a whole other level.  Jaws is the greatest movie ever made but never really considered it as horror, more like an adventure movie with some scary parts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i always watch the halloween movies in october and try and watch 5-10 other horror movies throughout the month.

this year i'm gonna try and do more than that.  on my agenda:

rosemary's baby (have never seen)

the thing (have never seen)

the witch (have never seen)

the conjuring (have never seen)

it chapter two (planning on seeing this weekend)

28 days later (have never seen)

the new pet sematary (haven't seen)

the others

the strangers

scream

psycho

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i always watch the halloween movies in october and try and watch 5-10 other horror movies throughout the month.

this year i'm gonna try and do more than that.  on my agenda:

rosemary's baby (have never seen)

the thing (have never seen)

the witch (have never seen)

the conjuring (have never seen)

it chapter two (planning on seeing this weekend)

28 days later (have never seen)

the new pet sematary (haven't seen)

the others

the strangers

scream

psycho

Nice I like this list. I am huge horror movie guy but my gf does not like them at all so trying to get her to start watching some

57 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If you have HBO "Room 104" is pretty awesome. Anthology of horror, sci fi, suspense shorts. Some are just weird, others kind of feel good, but all pretty good to great.

Thanks.  I'll check this one out.  Some channel, perhaps AMC, does a thing every year about this time with the time 50 (or so) scariest movies/scenes.  Love to watch that.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Never got the hype for TCM, Shining or Poltergeist.  All three of Halloween, Nightmare and Friday 13th originals were great and worth many repeat viewings. 

Poltergeist is a scary AF classic.   It fucked me up as a kid...  especially since TV stations went off the air back in the day ...  oh shit was that scary after poltergeist...   anthem>test pattern>snow

you turn the TV off.

No fuck you you turn it off!

Edited by Loco
  • Like 4

On 10/2/2019 at 5:45 PM, Deej said:

Count me in the camp that thinks the original was overrated. 

Old horror is a special experience because they're unpredictable. The usual structure of a horror flic wasn't really in place. 

On that note I recently saw Haxan; a History of Witchcraft (1922).  It barely qualifies as a "movie" as we use the word today.  But I had absolutely no idea what would happen next and that's the best way to build sense. 

On 10/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Jaws also works as a good horror flick imo. The building tension, the shark appearing when you aren't expecting it, and not appearing when you do expect it. Seeing the barrels pop up rather than seeing the shark. Good stuff.

The Terminator is a horror movie trying to escape itself with action and scifi.  But it cannot do that and ends with the flight of the Last Girl. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm still scarred from seeing The Shining for the first time as a freshman at UT. 

Saw The Shining for the first time in the mid-80s when I was in about the sixth grade.  As a 44 year-old man, it still freaks me out.  I may be in the minority of Stephen King fans for this opinion, but I thought it was one of the very few instances where the film adaptation was better than the novel.

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness is also another one from my childhood that can still give me the creeps.

The Howling series are good for some tits.  Fapped to Sybil Danning back in the day.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A TV movie that messed me up as a kid was Dark Night of the Scarecrow.  I was way too young, but it was a cbs movie I think. I’m guessing it’d feel tame if I watched it now, 35 years later. 

Fucking this right here. I have a copy on DVD. Amazing that it was made for TV. It still holds up.

Image result for dark night of the scarecrow gif

Some perhaps lesser known horror movies. They aren't necessarily scary or Halloween themed, but I think can fall into the horror category if you've seen most of the genre and are looking for more options. Some of these aren't scary at all, some are more thriller, etc., so do your diligence. 

The Wailing

The Blackcoat's Daughter 

Antichrist 

A Dark Song

The Orphanage

The Devil's Backbone 

Hereditary

The Witch

It Follows 

I Saw the Devil 

Memories of Murder

Beyond the Gates

Starry Eyes

Neon Demon

It Comes at Night

Audition

Train to Busan

Session 9

Event Horizon

Creep

VHS 

Funny Games (Original)

Let the Right One In

Babadook

The Ritual

In the Mouth of Madness

• Like 2

Don't remember the last time i watched it, may have to give it a search for it.  

The Legend of Boggy Creek scared the beejeezus out of me, watched it a few years ago and couldn't stop laughing.  I had forgotten it had singing in it for one part.  The dead cat and paw reaching through the window were a couple of scenes i remembered.