Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

Hereditary is my favorite horror movie of the past several years, but it's a slow burn. It's not a crowd-pleasing movie night kind of movie like Scream or Drag Me to Hell. It's got a great 70's era feel, Toni Collette is incredible, and the build-up to the last scene is terrifying -- lights off, sound up. The final scene is a bit of a let down, but the rest of the movie is so good that it doesn't really detract. 

tumblr_pdzslb8bwc1v3hlj3o6_250.gifv

Haven't seen Rec listed yet -- my favorite found footage movie with an awesome payoff at the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Hereditary is my favorite horror movie of the past several years, but it's a slow burn. It's not a crowd-pleasing movie night kind of movie like Scream or Drag Me to Hell. It's got a great 70's era feel, Toni Collette is incredible, and the build-up to the last scene is terrifying -- lights off, sound up. The final scene is a bit of a let down, but the rest of the movie is so good that it doesn't really detract. 

Haven't seen Rec listed yet -- my favorite found footage movie with an awesome payoff at the end. 

I yelled, "WTF!!!!" @ the car scene when the kids were on the way home from the party.

Here's The Midnight Hour scene I spoke of earlier if anyone is interested.  Not bad for a tv movie in 1985.

Watched “The Witch” a couple months ago with my wife. It was like the new Sabrina Netflix show, Blair Witch, and The Village all had a fuckchild. Really, really enjoyed that one. Also watched “The Boy” on Sunday. Maggie from walking dead is hot, and it had a very creepy, unsettling vibe throughout. Wasn’t the best movie I’ve ever seen but it did exceed my expectations and I thought it was pretty good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I don't think the final was a let down at all, I think it does the movie justice 

48 minutes ago, Tom said:

Hereditary and Midsommar were both great and pretty unsettling.  The kind of movies that stick with you long after it's over.

My favorite horror movie of the past decade is still probably:

MV5BMmU0MjBlYzYtZWY0MC00MjliLWI3ZmUtMzhl

I thought Midsommar really sucked 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Hereditary and Midsommar were both great and pretty unsettling.  The kind of movies that stick with you long after it's over.

My favorite horror movie of the past decade is still probably:

MV5BMmU0MjBlYzYtZWY0MC00MjliLWI3ZmUtMzhl

Midsommar fell flat for me, but probably because my expectations were too high after watching Hereditary. It Follows is my second favorite horror movie of the past 5 years. Pretty unsettling leaving the theater after watching that one...

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m surprised how many people liked Hereditary. The last 15-20 minutes were good but god damn it was long and boring leading up to that (obviously other than the car ride home from the party scene which was pretty shocking). Maybe I had too high expectations after it was recommended to me.

I think The Strangers is a good suspenseful movie that keeps you on edge throughout.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, Fud said:

Some perhaps lesser known horror movies. They aren't necessarily scary or Halloween themed, but I think can fall into the horror category if you've seen most of the genre and are looking for more options. Some of these aren't scary at all, some are more thriller, etc., so do your diligence. 

The Devil's Backbone 

En Espanol with English subtitles ...

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

I guess I need to go back and watch The Witch again because I remember the first half being more graphic than the second.

It's been a while for me too but I'm pretty sure I remember a baby getting snatched and turned into food in the first five minutes.

Yep.  Baby got snatched, but nothing was really shown. I was kind of thinking it would have been cooler if the movie just implied that there was a witch, then, at the end, there was a reveal that, a) there never was a witch; they were all just going crazy per their extreme beliefs in evil/born with sin OR, b) a little bit of a, then a real witch reveal. As it was, we all knew there was a witch from the start.

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  Baby got snatched, but nothing was really shown. I was kind of thinking it would have been cooler if the movie just implied that there was a witch, then, at the end, there was a reveal that, a) there never was a witch; they were all just going crazy per their extreme beliefs in evil/born with sin OR, b) a little bit of a, then a real witch reveal. As it was, we all knew there was a witch from the start.

Spoiler alert: The movie is entitled "The Witch."

Why can't AMC and TCM do a better job at Halloween?  They used to have a great lineup of classic horror movies, old Hammer films, etc.  Now it's a bunch of crap.  And Netflix should do a lot better too.  Why not have several different horror categories (Classic/Zombie/Supernatural/Occult/Snuff/) when you login around this time of year? Or some network should pay Elvira to host a movie marathon in October.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...