Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, ajax said:

"REC" freaked my wife out so much that she made me turn it off halfway through. I have no idea how it ends.

Is this the same Spanish flick dubbed over in English that I tried to watch last week? The audio made me feel like i was watching a video game cut scene the entire time and i had to turn it off 20 min in. 

Is this the same Spanish flick dubbed over in English that I tried to watch last week? The audio made me feel like i was watching a video game cut scene the entire time and i had to turn it off 20 min in. 

I recently wanted to rewatch REC and was frustrated to find that it appears it is virtually impossible to find it streaming/available anywhere (at least legally) with the original Spanish audio/English subtitles...only a comically bad English dub. It’s a real shame as I think it’s up there as one of the best found footage horror flicks.

Rec is my favorite found footage film and REC2 is just as good. You’ve got to stay away from the dubbed version. As stated above it’s not easy to find an original but I watched them both with original audio maybe 2 months ago on either Tubi or Pluto. Keep checking the “Justwatch” app periodically. I will go ahead and give an update since we saw some quality stuff over the weekend (in addition to TCM at the theater):
Phenomena - I hadn’t watched an Argento film in a long time and I’ve never seen this one and damn I don’t know how I missed it. It’s a little slow and a bit all over the place but what an ending! Jennifer Connelly’s first film I think (and the chimp bit her finger off - for real). I think this is a must see just for the crazy-ass ending. (Amazon Prime)
Ticks - Another “how the hell have I missed this?” movie. As far as creature features go, this instantly goes very close to the top. You think when you see Seth Green and Alfonso Ribeiro that it’s going to be just another cheesy B movie from the 90s - but it packs a major punch. The ticks are awesome, the gore is top-notch, and it has what has to be considered one of the best death scenes in horror history. (Tubi)
The Mortuary Collection - This is a Shudder Exclusive and is definitely worth seeing. It’s basically an R rated Goosebumps. One of the better anthologies I’ve seen. (Shudder)
Scare Me - I’ve seen some good reviews but it just didn’t work for me. (Shudder)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Yeah, we watched the Spanish version of REC

On 10/18/2019 at 11:41 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’m surprised how many people liked Hereditary. The last 15-20 minutes were good but god damn it was long and boring leading up to that (obviously other than the car ride home from the party scene which was pretty shocking). Maybe I had too high expectations after it was recommended to me.

I think The Strangers is a good suspenseful movie that keeps you on edge throughout.

Yeah Hereditary was a letdown for me, although I watched it over 2 nights. Maybe I was just drunk.

saw The Omen for the first time and scribbled down some notes:

I've been saying "It's all for you Damian" wrongly all these years.

Too heavy in opening moments.  But I like the timing of noose girl.

Monkeys gone wild.  

The shot of the antiquity was great. I'm surprised Damian was such a minor character. 

So this is from where they got the idea for Case 39.

Was it shot as an action flic?

I didn't actually follow the story.  But I think it's a classic thanks to the strong presence by Dr Who and Atticus Finch. I'll watch it again. 

• 9 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Going back a page.

I think the cool thing about Midsommer and Hereditary, at least for me, was how much the movies play in your mind after they're over.  I know I've seen probably 30+ horror movies over the past 5 years, but very few are memorable.

both those movies wild. and they still gives me chills thinking about it

Midsommar GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

• 2 years later...

Been going through a horror binge with Mrs popabitch

1. Incantation (Chinese film)

2. The strangers ( liv Tyler sucks but the movie is awesome. Some one kicking ur door down and killing you is more likely then ghost and zombies)

3. The house of the devil  (film released in 2009 but had a fun 80s nostalgic feel. Slow burn but pays off in the last 30 minutes) 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Ooh, snap, I didn't know or had forgotten we had a thread on this. 

I've got multiple horror movies I want to watch but haven't yet.  Talk to Me (still in theaters), Possum, Influencer, Knock at the Cabin, Brooklyn 45, Saint Maud. 

Only one I've really checked off my list in the last few months was Infinity Pool (which is very twisted).  I did also watch Evil Dead Rise and The Pope's Exorcist and both were as silly as I hoped they'd be. 

Also on team #livtylerdoesn'tsuck

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I've got multiple horror movies I want to watch but haven't yet.  Talk to Me (still in theaters), Possum, Influencer, Knock at the Cabin, Brooklyn 45, Saint Maud. 

Only one I've really checked off my list in the last few months was Infinity Pool (which is very twisted).  I did also watch Evil Dead Rise and The Pope's Exorcist and both were as silly as I hoped they'd be. 

Her elbows are pointy as fuck wood not fuck!

On 10/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, Loco said:

Poltergeist is a scary AF classic.   It fucked me up as a kid...  especially since TV stations went off the air back in the day ...  oh shit was that scary after poltergeist...   anthem>test pattern>snow

you turn the TV off.

No fuck you you turn it off!

Random story - my oldest son watched Poltergeist a few years back with my SIL. When they got to the part where they start reciting the Lord's Prayer during the bird's funeral, my non-religious child goes "Isn't that Metallica?" 😂

On 9/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, MissingInAction said:

Mandy starring Nic Cage.

That movie was amazing and I wish more people would watch it. It's like two separate movies - first, a calm relationship drama, and then the last half is like if a death metal album came to life. I mean, at one point 

Spoiler

he welds a battleaxe, then wields that motherfucking battleaxe. To great effect. Against a demon motorcycle gang. It's WTF is the absolute best way. 

To this list I'll add

Evil Dead Rise

Talk to Me

Barbarian

Malignant

• Haha 1

Maybe this goes on the unpopular opinion thread but....

Hubie Halloween starring Adam Sandler and a Happy Madison production made as a Netflix original (2020) has been a Halloween staple for the past couple of years and is watched multiple times. 

We also watch Ernest Scared Stupid at least once.

Edited by animaltobacco11
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Knock at the Cabin was not a horror, thriller, slasher, or anything else that could be considered "scary" in the least. It was a pile of dogshit. Actually, that's not fair to dogshit-- dogshit doesn't put me to sleep, nor do I laugh at dogshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bama Llama said:

Saw the original, just-released The Howling at a midnight show from the balcony of a small but packed theater with my wife and her big goofy cousin.  When that dumbass mousy woman was rifling through a file cabinet in the office, and the baddest werewolf put his big paw on top of the cabinet, that place went into batshit panic mode.  It was like the rotted severed head boat hole scene in Jaws.  Instant, massive audience raction.  My wife's cousin was yelling and pushing his feet into the guy in front of him, trying to back out of his chair but he couldn't move.  He was still shaking some time later when we dropped him off at his mom's house.  The next day we found out that when he, still spooked, came into the dark house, his head bumped his stepdad's mounted wild boar head, all  tusks and black bristles.  He proceeded to shriek like a little gir and ran all the way upstairs to his bedroom, bellowing like a maniac, waking up everyone in the house.  Good times.  And John Carradine as grampaw werewolf, no less.  The black leather chick werewolf wasn't bad, either, until she started ripping out throats.  Favorite line: "Silver bullets my ass."  Second favorite: "I going to have to give you a piece of my mind."

The Things They Do With Special Effects These Days: An Appreciation of THE  HOWLING (1981) - Cinepunx

Best product placement ever: Slim Pickens eating a can of Wolf brand chili.

IIRC, American Werewolf in London was pretty good also.

On 8/28/2023 at 6:07 PM, LCHorn said:

Talk to Me is amazing. Knock at the Cabin is horseshit, even though Dave Bautista is great in it - at most you could call it a drama/thriller, but it's in no way a horror movie. And (slight spoiler)

Spoiler

it doesn't have the typical Shyamalan twist ending, which I kept waiting for, hoping it would justify the rest of the movie. I feel like people should know that going in but I don't want to spoil it.

I loved Saint Maud, and it has a great final scene.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, austingirl said:

Talk to Me is amazing. Knock at the Cabin is horseshit, even though Dave Bautista is great in it - at most you could call it a drama/thriller, but it's in no way a horror movie. And (slight spoiler)

Hide contents

it doesn't have the typical Shyamalan twist ending, which I kept waiting for, hoping it would justify the rest of the movie. I feel like people should know that going in but I don't want to spoil it.

I loved Saint Maud, and it has a great final scene.

The worst thing about Knock at the Cabin is that one could have easily come up with a twist given the story and buildup.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

The Five Night at Freddy's movies is going to be a big time Halloween movie this year. 

image.jpeg.c60f651dd0ac547713f81d812f2642ee.jpeg

My son is very excited about this because he loves the game, and I'm having a hard time figuring out if this will be anything approaching kid-appropriate. Rotten Tomatoes says it's PG-13, but it also says "strong violent content." They need to pick a lane.

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

My son is very excited about this because he loves the game, and I'm having a hard time figuring out if this will be anything approaching kid-appropriate. Rotten Tomatoes says it's PG-13, but it also says "strong violent content." They need to pick a lane.

The app scares me, so I'm sure the movie is too scary for me.

I couldn't watch 1/20th of the movies talked about on here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

The app scares me, so I'm sure the movie is too scary for me.

I couldn't watch 1/20th of the movies talked about on here.

Unless you count Dreamscape, I didn't see a single scary/horror movie until college.  Weird upbringing.  My parents were not religious at all but didn't drink or watch R rated movies so... I didn't either.  Anyway, I ended up watching The Shining at a house on West Campus, then had to get the nerve to walk back to Jester, down the long hallways, to my room.  It was unpleasant.

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Unless you count Dreamscape, I didn't see a single scary/horror movie until college.  Weird upbringing.  My parents were not religious at all but didn't drink or watch R rated movies so... I didn't either.  Anyway, I ended up watching The Shining at a house on West Campus, then had to get the nerve to walk back to Jester, down the long hallways, to my room.  It was unpleasant.

I watched The Shining in 2019. By that age, it wasn't scary to me and I appreciated the Key & Peele skit and understood it.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:16 PM, austingirl said:

To this list I'll add

Evil Dead Rise

Talk to Me

Barbarian

Malignant

Love all of these except for Evil Dead Rise. Evil Dead II is a stone cold classic, but I found the 2013 and 2023 reboots a snooze.

I lose track of our horror threads so maybe I’ve already mentioned in this thread, but a few other favorites include Empty Man, Rec, Terrifier 2, The Babadook, Green Room, and, last but absolutely not least, The Invitation (2015).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/28/2023 at 4:13 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

2. The strangers ( liv Tyler sucks but the movie is awesome. Some one kicking ur door down and killing you is more likely then ghost and zombies)

Watching this now, but I don’t hate Liv. 

Sidenote: JustWatch fucking sucks lately, that shit has been inaccurate as hell. Had to find it was on Tubi thanks to IMDb. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Shit, I liked it, but the dude from Felicity was the much bigger problem. He is definitely a network sitcom actor. 

I typically watch dumbass shark attack movies when I’m bored, so you kids keep these similar recs coming. 

I'm sure you've seen Open Water.  I believe there was a second one.

I'm not a fan of slasher movies, ghosts (unless there's some kind of twist i.e. The Others), or 95% of what applies to horror movies these days.  Get off my lawn! I do like movies like Open Water.  I think I mentioned this a few pages back, but there was a entire sub-genre of "what would you do?" type movies about 10 years ago.  One was called Frozen and had teens trapped on a ski lift.  To name a couple more - Break, folks stuck on a tram, Scenic Route (I think), teens stranded in a desert, 247 F, group of friends locked in a sauna.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new one with the girls trapped on top of a cell tower or somesuch.

I'm also a fan of the Ari Aster movies.  I mean, F's sake, the car scene in Heredity and/or the old couple in Midsommar.  Still somewhat haunted by those.  Looks like he has a new one called, Beau Is Afraid.  I somehow missed this news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I did phrase it wrong though, I meant keep the recs like The Strangers coming. Those I don’t know a ton about. 

I’ve probably seen ~40 shark attack movies, but they’re not technically horror. 

Hush. Mike Flanagan is a damn good director.  I feel that Hush is his weakest movie but its a fun watch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm sure you've seen Open Water.  I believe there was a second one.

I'm not a fan of slasher movies, ghosts (unless there's some kind of twist i.e. The Others), or 95% of what applies to horror movies these days.  Get off my lawn! I do like movies like Open Water.  I think I mentioned this a few pages back, but there was a entire sub-genre of "what would you do?" type movies about 10 years ago.  One was called Frozen and had teens trapped on a ski lift.  To name a couple more - Break, folks stuck on a tram, Scenic Route (I think), teens stranded in a desert, 247 F, group of friends locked in a sauna.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new one with the girls trapped on top of a cell tower or somesuch.

I'm also a fan of the Ari Aster movies.  I mean, F's sake, the car scene in Heredity and/or the old couple in Midsommar.  Still somewhat haunted by those.  Looks like he has a new one called, Beau Is Afraid.  I somehow missed this news.

I started a thread on Beau is Afraid here back when it first came out. It's a great movie, but definitely not horror - more like a 3-hour fever dream. 

2 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Hush. Mike Flanagan is a damn good director.  I feel that Hush is his weakest movie but its a fun watch. 

Haven't seen Hush yet but I love Mike Flanagan - Oculus is great. Also, Absentia is worth seeking out. It's really low-budget and I think was his first movie, but nice and creepy.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, austingirl said:

Haven't seen Hush yet but I love Mike Flanagan - Oculus is great. Also, Absentia is worth seeking out. It's really low-budget and I think was his first movie, but nice and creepy.

I’m also a Mike Flanagan fan but my memory of Absentia is that it was a short film extended to feature length and WAY too long.  

Has anyone seen “The Vigil”?  I tried twice and fell asleep both times but the premise is interesting.  

Also, if you know the film there’s a certain irony in that I keep falling asleep trying to watch it.