Work Gloves .. any of them worth a shit?

Loco

tl/dr  Every pair of work gloves I keep in garage or truck turn into ragged out POS after just a few uses.  I don't work with my hand so they don't get a lot of use, but I am a man so when I do need gloves it's for something awesome and dangerous /nogundy

Anybody else feel like this???   Got any recommendations???

I use gloves quite alot, obv. & find there are really 2 options:

1.  Buy a low priced but somewhat "decent" pair, the generic "long cuffed" variety.  My usual fail point on those is the stitching & they get gaps in the thumb web area or the index finger.

2.  Get a quality pair of goatskin / calf skin & use 'em until the fingers get a wear spot.

I'd dig up some Homer Despot links & pics, except lazy right now.

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I use the "mechanic's" style gloves.  They make versions with leather reinforced palms and fingertips.  Those are my go-to these days. 

I have had several pairs...  many of them the rubber "armor" just dry rotted and fell off.  I do like the concept of those, as I have gotten older my skin has become much more susceptible to cuts and scrapes.  Plus I like to torque things a solid 1/4 past failure.

I don't want tactical barbie/dress up badass gloves, but I wonder about the guys deployed overseas and the gloves they use...  I figure they have a vested interest in durable useful gloves.

Edited by Loco

8 minutes ago, Loco said:

I have had several pairs...  many of them the rubber "armor" just dry rotted and fell off.  I do like the concept of those, as I have gotten older my skin has become much more susceptible to cuts and scrapes.  Plus I like to torque things a solid 1/4 past failure.

I don't want tactical barbie/dress up badass gloves, but I wonder about the guys deployed overseas and the gloves they use...  I figure they have a vested interest in durable useful gloves.

My kid's infantry and has done a couple of tours.  I will ask him and get back to you.  I suspect that they wouldn't have covered fingers, but  I'll find out. 

Edited by Gil Bang

I have a pair of Wells Lamont fingerless gloves that are of the sort of hi-tech variety.  Synthetic shit on the palms and fingers, velcro closure.  A nice patch of absorbent terry cloth on the back for sweat wiping.  Cheap from some big box store.

They have held up really well, surprisingly so.  I have concluded that not having fingers keeps from stressing some of the seams that usually pop on work gloves.  My theory, anyway.  If you don't need fingers, I would suggest trying some.

I've had the best luck with these...  But they are pricey for shoveling and wrenching gloves and I hate having to look in the tool box or dive bag.  They are getting old and worn hence this thread. 

2018-Obrien-Ski-Skin-Gloves.jpg

Bought the Mechanix Original Coverts Based on Gil Bangs post above.  For$20 we will see if they survive a few bulk trash days.  Dexterity seems really good and I decided to forgo the rubberized armor types since it seemed they add a lot of bulk.  The genesis of this thread was showing my son how to test/change a car battery. My fingers keep slipping out of torn seems and I didn't have enough dexterity to mess around with the battery tray hold down J hooks.

91YTSAiVxkL._SX425_.jpg

PS bought in store I could try them on ...  and it seems like there are a lot of knock offs.  I went a size down from what their website recommended for a snug fit and I assume they'll loosen up a little.

Edited by Loco

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

They have held up really well, surprisingly so.  I have concluded that not having fingers keeps from stressing some of the seams that usually pop on work gloves.  My theory, anyway.  If you don't need fingers, I would suggest trying some.

I think I would find it difficult to hold my tools without any fingers.

• Like 1

Gloves are like any other tool. You need the right one for the job. Mechanix type gloves are fine if you are just trying to keep your hands clean and aren't doing heavy work. For heavy work, a pair of Wells Lamont like davidg posted are my go to.

Bionic tough pro.  They use fabric in spots to relieve the stress points.  https://www.amazon.com/Bionic-Mens-Tough-Gloves-X-Large/dp/B000K3JIF0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bionic+tough+pro+gloves&qid=1570108171&s=office-products&sr=8-1

81gxqW77KJL._AC_SY606_.jpg81isIp8V31L._AC_SY606_.jpg

I think Duluth has a one year guarantee on their work gloves. The framer gloves are good for when you need finger dexterity. https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-dt-leather-framer-gloves-70266.html?dwvar_70266_color=DEV#q=gloves&prefn1=StarRatingBase&prefn2=gender&prefv1=4&prefv2=Men&selectedRef=StarRatingBase&start=270266_alt_01.jpg?sw=1350&sh=1000&sm=fit

Otherwise for Costco members they have 3-4 packs of the above mentioned Wells Lamonts, minus the wrist strap, for $20 every Spring.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

23 hours ago, Loco said:

racing team techs use Mechanix.  Army dudes use Mechanix.  they might very well be overpriced barbie gloves, but i use them for wrenching shit and gardening and household shit and they work well enough

On 10/2/2019 at 1:50 PM, Loco said:

I've had the best luck with these...  But they are pricey for shoveling and wrenching gloves and I hate having to look in the tool box or dive bag.  They are getting old and worn hence this thread. 

2018-Obrien-Ski-Skin-Gloves.jpg

Bought the Mechanix Original Coverts Based on Gil Bangs post above.  For$20 we will see if they survive a few bulk trash days.  Dexterity seems really good and I decided to forgo the rubberized armor types since it seemed they add a lot of bulk.  The genesis of this thread was showing my son how to test/change a car battery. My fingers keep slipping out of torn seems and I didn't have enough dexterity to mess around with the battery tray hold down J hooks.

91YTSAiVxkL._SX425_.jpg

PS bought in store I could try them on ...  and it seems like there are a lot of knock offs.  I went a size down from what their website recommended for a snug fit and I assume they'll loosen up a little.

Second those two exact brands.  Clearing mesquite.  Working cattle.  Chainsaw work.  Moving stone, etc.  Love them.  Great for shooting as well.  I have a few pairs of insulted leather options for when it's cold.  Mechanix are great because they protect your hard while still giving you a level of dexterity you don't have with the older leather options (that also don't breath worth a crap).

For LE/military, the Oakley are so popular because of the reinforced knuckles.  Same with shin guards.  Guys always knocking hands, elbows, knees into crap...especially in the dark.  

Tearing off a roof or doing a roof repair kills any of those pretty fast, all but the thick leather (cuffed) variety.  Again, I end up with problems @ the seams or the fingers burning out.  Even when I'm doing cedar work, that doesn't cause problems for me anywhere near as fast as the grit from shingles will.

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

racing team techs use Mechanix.  Army dudes use Mechanix.  they might very well be overpriced barbie gloves, but i use them for wrenching shit and gardening and household shit and they work well enough

Mechanix is general issue PPe in all the oilfields I’ve ever worked in. 

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Yeah I use the shit outta my work gloves. Heavy yard & tree trimming work, working on cars, etc ... & Mechanix have been great for me.

15 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Tearing off a roof or doing a roof repair kills any of those pretty fast, all but the thick leather (cuffed) variety.  Again, I end up with problems @ the seams or the fingers burning out.  Even when I'm doing cedar work, that doesn't cause problems for me anywhere near as fast as the grit from shingles will.

I fix a lot of barbed wire fence.  The only gloves that I've found that will hold up to barbed wire are those that are so damn thick it feels like you have mittens on.  Some are good for a week or so, but the barbs eventually shred everything.  Before I die, I will find what I am searching for, if it's the last thing I do.

48 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I fix a lot of barbed wire fence.  The only gloves that I've found that will hold up to barbed wire are those that are so damn thick it feels like you have mittens on.  Some are good for a week or so, but the barbs eventually shred everything.  Before I die, I will find what I am searching for, if it's the last thing I do.

Duluth makes some with Kelvar for this kind of work.  https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-fence-menders-kevlar-gauntlet-gloves-50230.html?cgid=mens-accessories-gloves&dwvar_50230_color=STW#start=5&cgid=mens-accessories-gloves

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

thought about these, but too bulky

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Holy shit- $60.  Thanks, I will look into these.  Was at a Duluth store in South Dakota a couple of years ago and picked up a pair of those fire hose pants.  Expensive, but no telling how many pairs of blue jeans they've saved.  

23 minutes ago, Loco said:

thought about these, but too bulky

My dad's still alive, but elderly and doesn't work much anymore.  He wore a different brand of these gloves, but had a pair in every vehicle and a few around the house.  Even if I don't get these gloves, thanks for making me go have a cup of coffee with Pops this afternoon.

Got my brother a pair of Oakley Flexion gloves a couple of weeks ago.  We run a side business doing LV wiring on new homes.  Hes constantly crawling around attic framing and dealing with tools, so its fairly rough on gloves.  The Flexions are perforated, so they breathe somewhat.  If you need a sealed grip, I think the factory lite is the better way to go.  So far hes happy with them, durability is still TBD.  

i wouldnt recommend them for general use because they dont provide any dexterity, but for barbed wire, and especially bbq/chimney/firepit/hot shit, i just use leather welding gloves.  get ones with all the certification stamps on them.  same $15 as those trash silicone / or thick cotton ones, but theyre actually functional and durable

If you get some driver's gloves, turn them inside out so that the seams are on the outside.  Much more comfortable (no sarcasm).

Choices:  Pigskin is great for longevity, and they wont get hard after getting wet a bunch of times like cowhide
Deer/Elk is great for better feel, but they wont last as long.  
Mechanix gloves are great if you get the synthetic leather so you can machine wash them.

14 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I need some that I can still use my iPhone while wearing. I have to instagram for all to see how hard I work.

You laugh, but when I looked at gloves at Home Depot, a lot of them have a special pointer finger that works with a touch screen.

35 minutes ago, markstanco said:

If you get some driver's gloves, turn them inside out so that the seams are on the outside.  Much more comfortable (no sarcasm).

Choices:  Pigskin is great for longevity, and they wont get hard after getting wet a bunch of times like cowhide
Deer/Elk is great for better feel, but they wont last as long.  
Mechanix gloves are great if you get the synthetic leather so you can machine wash them.

Wash work gloves?  Is that a thing?  Because I didn't know that was a thing

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Sure, why not?

I make gloves for a living (mainly high heat out of Kevlar and fiberglass) but work gloves also.  A lot of foundries (Nucor Steel, etc.) will actually launder their leather gloves once or twice before discarding.

IDK,

I guess I don't want to put gloves with axle grease, dirt, rust, oil in my washing machine...  I don't use them to change lightbulbs or dust.  I can see if you had a dedicated washing machine, but since I don't, I'll just hose them off every now and then...

PS looking forward to the Surly Driving Glove & Grey Poupon Thread of Domination!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Loco said:

IDK,

I guess I don't want to put gloves with axle grease, dirt, rust, oil in my washing machine...

If they are really dirty (like SA's mom) then I will hand wash them first in a bucket of soap water to get most of the bad stuff off.  Takes <5 minutes. 

3 hours ago, Loco said:

PS looking forward to the Surly Driving Glove & Grey Poupon Thread of Domination!

Caught a mountain of shit from friends that took me to a high-brow skeet shoot.  Show up wearing matching black, wet-weather golf gloves.  Screw it, it was short notice and I don't own shooting/driving gloves.

All day affair, summer, O/U barrels get damn hot.  Have to have a set of gloves.  

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Caught a mountain of shit from friends that took me to a high-brow skeet shoot.  Show up wearing matching black, wet-weather golf gloves.  Screw it, it was short notice and I don't own shooting/driving gloves.

All day affair, summer, O/U barrels get damn hot.  Have to have a set of gloves.  

I was @ a skeet shoot on Tuesday.  50 rounds total over 5 stations (5 sets of 2 per station).

Not a single person was gloved.

8 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I was @ a skeet shoot on Tuesday.  50 rounds total over 5 stations (5 sets of 2 per station).

Not a single person was gloved.

We blasted so much more than that. Not sure.  Same guys that went to Argentina.  Said without gloves you're ending the day quite a bit sooner.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We blasted so much more than that. Not sure.  Same guys that went to Argentina.  Said without gloves you're ending the day quite a bit sooner.  

Yeah, 1st wife's F-I-L told me about going down to MXX 2 or 3x where you brought 2 or 3 guns & they had "bird boys" who would both swap you out on loaded guns & in between that, they are racing into the field to collect downed doves (apparently no regs on daily bag limit; they wipe out a lot of planted fields down there from what I've been told).

I work at a chemical plant, so we have to use gloves of all types, but the best all around work gloves we use are sheepskin tig welding gloves. They provide enough dexterity for general wrenching and stuff as long as you don't need a ton of fine motor control, but they also last well and protect from cuts and abrasions and stuff. Kidskin comes in a close second. For fencing you need something heavier to protect against barbed wire, though. I'm one of those types that detests wearing gloves for anything except working with barbed wire, but we have to wear them at work and I'm pretty picky about what I use. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/west-chester-protective-gear-mens-water-resistant-cowhide-leather-driver-116541599--1?cm_vc=-10005

I like these westchester aqua armour for working in the yard, mowing, chainsaw, trimming, planting stuff, and shit. nice and thick cowhide.

you tube says it keeps your hands dry when they are wet outside. which it does for about 5 min and then my sweaty hands soak them through from the inside out. what is nice is instead of slick sweaty hands I still have grip even when the sweat has soaked the gloves. Stays pliable even after wetted and dried out.

got em at Tractor Supply.

We use a lot of Wells Lamont. Mechanix are my go to for most stuff. You can use an iPhone with them on.

I had a pair of carhartt leather gloves that were awesome but I lost one.

The cheapo gloves like rofl box is taking about suck ass for everything except tearing shingles off.

Stanco, pm me on where to sample some of your leather gloves. I need a good pair. Or at least better than the ones I keep in the truck now.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/noble-outfitters-outrider-glve/p/X1-39165/

I am not sure why this isn’t imbedding, but except for barbed wire, these are the best all-around gloves I’ve ever owned. Surprisingly warm, and very tough- finally tore them to shreds when I was desperate to fix some fence and they were the only gloves in my pickup.