C-Man

2019-20 NHL

Season started tonight. Linda Cohn really likes the Stars in the following link. (She's not alone.) Go Stars!

The puck drops on the 2019-20 NHL season on Wednesday night, including the St. Louis Blues raising their championship banner and the San Jose Sharks visiting the Vegas Golden Knights for a renewal of their budding rivalry.

But we're looking way ahead, answering the big questions: Who will win the Stanley Cup? Who are the favorites for all the major awards? Here are our picks:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27749572/2019-20-nhl-season-picks-stanley-cup-division-winners-awards

For the first time in my life, my team are the defending Stanley Cup champions.  Life is good.

4 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

I hope the Bruins lose.

My sentiment towards the Penguins. Crosby is an incessant whiner and Malkin is a pussy posing as a tough guy. Both expect the league and zebras to fly cover for them. 

Is it apparent that I’m a Caps fan?

In Columbus for work. Got a ticket off seat geek for 15 dollars. This town loves hockey. At first the arena seemed minor league to me but I kind of enjoy the non huge ticking place like other arenas I’ve been to. 

cfa95be1cb0e2382762c88a01d5f0381.jpg

a791aa591c6d3cf36bb54b3718e3637d.jpg

Don Cherry went and got himself fired.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/11/11/don-cherry-fired-from-sportsnet-following-toxic-rant.html

Don Cherry is going off the air.

The long-time host of Coach’s Corner will not be back on Hockey Night in Canada following inflammatory comments he made over the weekend regarding new Canadians.

Rogers Sportsnet confirmed the decision with a statement Monday afternoon.

“Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night’s broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down,” Sportsnet President Bart Yabsley said in a statement released on Twitter Monday afternoon. “During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.

“Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada.”

oJge5ieE_normal.jpg

I want to sincerely apologize to our viewers and Canadians. During last night's broadcast, Don made comments that were hurtful and prejudiced and I wish I had handled myself differently. It was a divisive moment and I am truly upset with myself for allowing it. (1/2)

I have worked with Don for 30 years, and we both love hockey. But last night, I know we failed you. I see hockey as part of what unites us. I have the honour of travelling across our country to celebrate Canada's game, and our diversity is one of our country's greatest strengths.

Though he has been branded xenophobic, his comments had not come back to hurt him until Saturday night when he went on a rant during his first-period intermission segment, saying he’s seeing fewer people wearing poppies to honour fallen Canadian soldiers, singling out those he believes are immigrants in Toronto and Mississauga.

“You know, I was talking to a veteran, and I said, I’m not going to run the (annual Remembrance Day montage) anymore, because what’s the sense? I live in Mississauga, nobody wears, very few people wear a poppy,” said Cherry. “Downtown Toronto, forget it, downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy. And I’m not going to, and he says, wait a minute. How about running it for the people that buy them?

“Now you go to the small cities and you know, the rows on rows, you people love — that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price. Anyhow, I’m going to run it for you great people and good Canadians that bought a poppy.”

It quickly became controversial, with even his broadcast partner, Ron MacLean, apologizing during Sunday night’s Rogers Hometown Hockey broadcast.

“I want to address what happened last night on Hockey Night in Canada,” MacLean said. “Don Cherry made remarks which were hurtful, discriminatory — which were flat out wrong.

“So, I owe you an apology, too. That is the big thing that I want to empathize. I sat there. I did not catch it. Did not respond.”

The NHL has also pushed back against Cherry’s comments, calling them “offensive” and saying “Hockey is at its best when it brings people together.”

More to come

47 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Kind of always felt he was going to have a Cosell exit but still, what a bunch of pussies.

Huh.  Ok--you want to defend his comments?  Please go ahead.  I can't wait to hear this.

For the record, we all always knew Don Cherry was a retrograde racist.  He's like your retrograde racist uncle who is nonetheless fun and endearing.  But you don't let him express his racism in front of you without comment.  And you damned sure don't let him spout it at your place of business where his comments can be imputed to you.

He was a loudmouthed racist bastard with a bullhorn. I am not going to miss him. He never saw a Euro player he liked. He could have apologized, even halfheartedly, and might have kept his gig. But no that would have offended his ego. He would never back down from a statement, unless of course he contradicted himself in the very next broadcast. 

He could have said a lot of things about honoring veterans and spending a couple of bucks to get a poppy, but nope he had to say it was YOU PEOPLE that ain't from around here that are messing up Toronto. 

He made his own bed and shit in it.

Give an old white man a mic and allow him to speak about “foreigners” will always end up bad. Asking him to speak about any grouping of people will most likely be insulting, but narrow that group to minorities or foreigners and someone will be looking for a new job.

First thing I thought of was the Bill Burr bit where he says you get what you ask for when you give an old man a microphone. Former Clippers owner and a few others he called out. Its true.