Anyone use steamer for their clothes?

52-80

I used to have one that was on wheels with a hook for your clothes with a vasin on the bottom.  That thing was awesome but it would steam the hell out of your hands if you weren't careful.  

Quick and easy to use.

When it broke I got a handheld one off Amazon.  It was useless.  Had to send it back.

If your using it a lot go with the heavy duty one.  

I'm sure you can make the little handheld things work if you're patient enough to make multiple passes

My wife has the stand-up variety with the steamer on a hose in her closet and she uses it all the time.  It has a a reservoir tank at the base.  

I made the mistake of trying to freshen up some dress pants I was still wearing.....thinking it was like one of the little hand held units.   Don't do that.

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Sooo moral of the story is buy a standing steamer?

Getting really annoyed at ironing shirts.  I also don't prefer getting them pressed by the cleaners, and don't want to drop off woolen goods either

I too am paying attention to this thread.  I hate ironing, never could get the hang of it.  I am very anal about my laundry, and don't like anyone else doing it.  

Steamer okay on synthetic or synthetic blends. Fair on 100% cotton dress shirts. Good on 100% cotton Polo style shirts. Steamer will not give "crisp" look that iron gives. Hand held holds about enough water to do one garment so there is much down time refilling, therefore floor model much better for home use. Hand held okay for taking out suit case wrinkles when traveling. Distilled water makes more steam and doesn't clog up the unit.

tl/dr: Steamer faster and easier than ironing if you don't need that "crisp" look. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

My wife has the stand-up variety with the steamer on a hose in her closet and she uses it all the time.  It has a a reservoir tank at the base.  

I made the mistake of trying to freshen up some dress pants I was still wearing.....thinking it was like one of the little hand held units.   Don't do that.

Me too! Burned the fuck out of my knee and the tip of my pecker!

On 10/3/2019 at 11:15 PM, William_Cannon said:

I have a handheld that I use on my wrinkle free shirts if they don’t get pulled from the dryer in a timely manner. Works to get wrinkles out easil and faster than ironing. However as the previous poster said it won’t crease fabric.

So basically any time the wife washes my shirts? Will it unshrink the sleeves?