Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So, trade for offense or ride with what we have?  Not that I know who would be available at what cost. 

I think a move for offense would be prudent, provided it makes sense and is affordable. I'm not sure what would be available either but would love a Zuccarello-like move.

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

EOVhANtWoAUK8Tg?format=jpg&name=large

Are those guys all on expiring contracts? Who intrigues you? Wondering why Galchenyuk is on there since the Penguins are having a really good season and are just getting Crosby back? Is he a bad fit? Again, I think I like the forwards better there. We don't (knocks on wood) need a goalie.

52 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Are those guys all on expiring contracts? Who intrigues you? Wondering why Galchenyuk is on there since the Penguins are having a really good season and are just getting Crosby back? Is he a bad fit? Again, I think I like the forwards better there. We don't (knocks on wood) need a goalie.

For starters, I see Fedun and Kiviranta going back down. However, I also see Fedun as trade bait. When Johns returns (assuming he does), that leaves Fedun as the only 2-way player on D. 

In looking at next year's contracts: Janmark (UFA), Faksa (RFA), Perry (UFA), Gury (RFA), and Hintz (RFA) are all due for new contracts on offense. One defense it's only Polak and Sekera. I see us retaining Faksa and Hintz. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, we may not see any of the rest on the roster next season. That means I think Dowling and Gurianov could be trade bait. Add in Honka and I could see us going after someone like JG Pageau, who would be a great fit.

I don't know how Nill is going to make the cap space work. Right now we have $3.8M, but when Johns comes back we're gonna be about $1.5M away from the cap. If we dealt Dowling and Gurianov and picked up Pageau, we'd have $25 in cap space (if my math is correct). If Fedun was also traded (or sent down) then we'd have a little more room. 

FWIW with the expansion draft and all I see it pretty unlikely that we retain Dobby after this season. I hope we do, but I'm not getting my hopes up either.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

The Nyberg trade means there is nobody from the shittastic 2014 draft with the Stars organization anymore.  

Colorado, who is currently sitting second in the Central over the Stars on the basis of regulation wins, is trailing St. Louis 2-1 right now.  Hopefully that holds up and the Stars play themselves into second at the All Star Break tonight.