Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

btw, FSSW is showing all of the '99 Cup wins starting tonight with the first two wins against EDM. Kinda fun to watch again.

I'll probably watch some of the WCF, but the weird thing I remember about that team is that when they were playing really well, I didn't think, "Wow, these guys are great!", I thought, "Man, this team they're playing can't do anything right."  They just destroyed the opponent by suffocation.  

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, wood said:

WTF? No hockey on Abbott's list of pro sports that can apply to have games without spectators ... but basketball and football are ok?

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/organization/opentexas/OpenTexas-Checklist-Professional-Sports-Without-In-Person-Spectators.pdf

I'm sure it was an oversight. Not sure how some of those others would be OK but not hockey.

I'm not sure I want to consider Stanley Cup playoffs with no fans in the arena. I think they might be better off just bagging the season and concentrating on starting again in October with the hope of having actual butts in seats in early 2021, if not the fall.

"it's not the same without fans so we should cancel the whole thing" may be the dumbest argument I've ever heard. For anything. 

Matt Duchene says it better than I did:

3e5907384ae91fadc2fb509971052c7c.jpg

Bag it. Hit the reset button and start getting ready for 2020-21. I can wait until October.

new playoff format being voted on soon.  it's conference-based, instead of division-based.  Dallas gets a bye.  doesn't get screwed like under the other proposed system.

The NHL Players’ Association’s executive board is voting on a 24-team playoff proposal as a possible return to play format, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday night because the vote was still ongoing. The results of the vote could be in as soon as Friday night.

Even if the executive board votes to approve the format, it doesn’t yet seal the deal for the NHL season resuming. The league and players union still need to negotiate other details, including health and safety protocols.

But the format is a substantial piece of the return to play puzzle.

Under the plan proposed by the joint NHL/NHLPA Return To Play Committee, the top four teams in each of the Eastern and Western Conferences would play each other for seeding while the remaining 16 teams face off in a best-of-five series play-in round to set the final 16 to compete for the Stanley Cup.

That would mean byes for Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia in the East and defending champion St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas in West. Pittsburgh, Carolina the New York Islanders and Rangers, Toronto, Columbus, Florida and Montreal would also make it in the East and Edmonton, Nashville, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Arizona and Chicago in the West.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2020/05/22/nhl-playoff-format-24-teams-proposal-vote-coronavirus

On 5/22/2020 at 6:45 PM, Jive Turkey said:

new playoff format being voted on soon.  it's conference-based, instead of division-based.  Dallas gets a bye.  doesn't get screwed like under the other proposed system.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2020/05/22/nhl-playoff-format-24-teams-proposal-vote-coronavirus

Could be fun. Won't be the same, though. Winner will always carry an asterisk.

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

no more so than lockout-shortened seasons. I'm stoked about this. gonna be fun

This is a different deal than lockout-shortened seasons. Those seasons led into a typical NHL postseason. This will be far from it, with no fans and none of the other stuff that goes along with the best playoffs in sports.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:25 PM, C-Man said:

This is a different deal than lockout-shortened seasons. Those seasons led into a typical NHL postseason. This will be far from it, with no fans and none of the other stuff that goes along with the best playoffs in sports.

Then don't watch it and shut the fuck up already. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all, we're getting practice updates!

For serious, though. Are you guys excited for this?

I'll admit, I'm kinda stoked. It's gonna be weird and the champ will forever have a stigma associated with the win, but it's also uncharted territory. There may have been tangentially similar circumstances, but i think this one will stand out. And i think whoever wins this season- and even those who make it far- should be easy favorites going into next season. Whatever that looks like. 

Tl;dr: I'm stupidly excited for these playoffs

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

I just want shit to watch at night. Most of you know I’m 1000% Rangers, but being able to flip back & forth will be awesome. And the Rangers won’t start ‘til 8 most weeknights, I assume we’ll get hockey at 7? 

Random question but what's the skinny on the future of the Texas Stars? With the San Antonio Rampage moving to Nevada, I assume it's a matter of time before the Stars move that team westward. Curious what the latest is with that. 
I haven't heard anything about that.

11 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Random question but what's the skinny on the future of the Texas Stars? With the San Antonio Rampage moving to Nevada, I assume it's a matter of time before the Stars move that team westward. Curious what the latest is with that. 

lol, where are you getting that? unless the D Stars move I don't see the T Stars going anywhere

I'm pretty stoked about these playoffs. It's weird and atypical, but I think it's going to be fun

On 7/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, where are you getting that? unless the D Stars move I don't see the T Stars going anywhere

Not getting it from a specific source, just speculation and from following minor league hockey for 40 years. Distance has killed plenty of teams and leagues for years. Adding Salt Lake City was the beginning of the end for the IHL and distance proved to be the death blow for the old Central Hockey League. 

Five years ago, the A had teams in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Oklahoma City. Now only one of those teams remain. Austin works out beautifully for Dallas but I can see the rest of the league pushing for a relocation out west at some point. 

Hard to believe twenty years ago, Texas had pro hockey in San Angelo, Abilene, Amarillo, Waco, Houston, Killeen, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, etc. etc.....and they're all gone. Amazing how quickly minor league hockey lost its luster. 

• Like 1