Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

We’re not gonna pull comebacks with this team. This is a team that is as potent as the Avs except they just got their stud back. I’ll be slightly surprised if we make it 6 games. 

Stamkos played 2:30 tonight. He’s not “back.”

Tampa is fucking loaded. They won 62 games last year and added some nastiness for this year. This has been the best team in the NHL the last two seasons. We probably aren’t still playing without the bubble environment. We’ve relied on grit and want-to — that wasn’t there tonight. We better find it quick or this thing is over by Saturday’s 10PM news.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Tampa is fucking loaded. They won 62 games last year and added some nastiness for this year. This has been the best team in the NHL the last two seasons. We probably aren’t still playing without the bubble environment. We’ve relied on grit and want-to — that wasn’t there tonight. We better find it quick or this thing is over by Saturday’s 10PM news.

God you're turning into Satynash on this thread. We whipped their ass in G1. We outplayed them for 40 minutes in game 2. We came out strong tonight and dominated for a significant stretch after being down 2-0.

We need to:

1. Quit committing stupid penalties, whether the refs are calling ticky tack stuff or not.

2. Quit turning the puck over in our zone.

3. Show a little more urgency when shooting the puck.

Win game 4 and it's a Bo3 with game 5 the next night. We could wake up Sunday needing one win for the Cup.

Let's not forget all of the hockey we played to get here. This team has dug and dug and dug and I don't think they're done yet. If we do lose it won't be because of lack of effort. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

They’re loaded without him, yes, but something tells me if the Stars stop playing horse hockey and make a game tight, he’d reappear. If the Stars win Game 4 or 5, he’ll be back. They didn’t need him tonight. 

He wasn’t on the bench for the first 7:30 of the second period with the game 2-1 or 3-1. If he was physically able, he would’ve been in there.

God you're turning into Satynash on this thread. We whipped their ass in G1. We outplayed them for 40 minutes in game 2. We came out strong tonight and dominated for a significant stretch after being down 2-0.

We need to:

1. Quit committing stupid penalties, whether the refs are calling ticky tack stuff or not.

Win game 4 and it's a Bo3 with game 5 the next night. We could wake up Sunday needing one win for the Cup.

Let's not forget all of the hockey we played to get here. This team has dug and dug and dug and I don't think they're done yet. If we do lose it won't be because of lack of effort. 

And you’re like the “Drew” of this thread.

I hope I’m proven wrong but we appear to have run into a buzzsaw we can’t solve in the Lightning. They crushed us with their forecheck tonight. And we couldn’t get the puck cleanly out of our zone.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nah. Colorado spanked us in at least one game. Bad. 

Looks like it was game 5 I was thinking of. They were up 5-0 after the first period and went on to win 6-3. Game 6 they beat us 4-1, too.

Yeah, but that was mostly Bishop being a sieve.  We played shitty team hockey for about 50 minutes tonight.  

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Stamkos may not be 'back' but it's pretty impressive to pick up a geno in - what? - 2? 3 shifts? In comparison, Seguin had 21 minutes of ice time - more than Oettinger - and came away with a whopping 3 shots. That Tampa locker room is rocking having him back. 

I think Dallas is done. Tampa is the better team.   

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Stamkos may not be 'back' but it's pretty impressive to pick up a geno in - what? - 2? 3 shifts? In comparison, Seguin had 21 minutes of ice time - more than Oettinger - and came away with a whopping 3 shots. That Tampa locker room is rocking having him back. 

I think Dallas is done. Tampa is the better team.   

Unfortunately, I think you're right. The Stars have already gone considerably further than what most thought they would do in the restart, especially with Bishop sidelined. They're outmanned and outgunned against Tampa, even when Seguin is healthy and playing more like himself. Until tonight, they've acquitted themselves well and played gritty, determined hockey in the Finals.

I also agree Stamkos being back in uniform was huge for their psyche. And, yes, he scored. But I think Peters thought he was going to be able to squeeze more minutes out of Stamkos. There's no way he would've played him if he only thought he could get a few shifts and a period out of him. I bet he's done for the rest of the series. He tried. And he scored a goal. If they win, his name is going on the Cup and he scored a goal in the last series. (I know his name is/was going on the Cup regardless whether he played a single second in the Finals or not.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Down 2-1 isn't some massive mountain.  We were down 2-1 in both Series in 2019 and won the next 2 in both.  Same with Calgary this year.   We can grab the momentum back on Friday and carry it over into Saturday.  Tampa is a good team, probably the better team, but they have flat out gotten the breaks so far in this series.   Have to hope that puck luck and the timely (poor) officiating evens out some.

Was listening to Razor this morning and he made the point that in order to win, the Stars have to play their checking game, especially against Tampa. He said the Stars were really missing Faksa and Comeau last night. Also, Lindell has been very poor in this series. He has not looked anything like our best defensive defenseman, which he is supposed to be.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Down 2-1 isn't some massive mountain.  We were down 2-1 in both Series in 2019 and won the next 2 in both.  Same with Calgary this year.   We can grab the momentum back on Friday and carry it over into Saturday.  Tampa is a good team, probably the better team, but they have flat out gotten the breaks so far in this series.   Have to hope that puck luck and the timely (poor) officiating evens out some.

Yeah, I think the back-to-back actually helps us... as long as we win tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

agree with this.  although I don't hold much hope the officiating changes.  we are now known as the team that takes stupid penalties.  but we must win this game.  3-1 down is asking for a miracle.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

agree with this.  although I don't hold much hope the officiating changes.  we are now known as the team that takes stupid penalties.  but we must win this game.  3-1 down is asking for a miracle.

It's weird. They're calling some ticky-tacky shit and then letting shit like Benn getting punched in the back of the head go when it happens right in front of the official. Lightning also seem to dish out an inordinate portion of extra-curricular jostling and face-washing after a whistle.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It's weird. They're calling some ticky-tacky shit and then letting shit like Benn getting punched in the back of the head go when it happens right in front of the official. Lightning also seem to dish out an inordinate portion of extra-curricular jostling and face-washing after a whistle.

For most of the playoffs, I’ve had zero issue with the things they’ve called Dallas for, only the things they’ve let the opponents do with no call. But last night there were two wtf calls against Dallas that hurt. The one on rads was drawn by the Tampa player’s actions and rads has a rep, but the one on kiviranta was just so silly. All he was doing was standing in a spot. 

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

For most of the playoffs, I’ve had zero issue with the things they’ve called Dallas for, only the things they’ve let the opponents do with no call. But last night there were two wtf calls against Dallas that hurt. The one on rads was drawn by the Tampa player’s actions and rads has a rep, but the one on kiviranta was just so silly. All he was doing was standing in a spot. 

I can't stand it when people bitch about the officiating (Zavala), but last night I would have been fine with Zavala joining the thread.  In addition to the two you mentioned, I thought the shittiest call was giving Benn and Tampa's 3rd-line D-man 10 minute misconducts in the third period.  That pretty much fucked away any chance we had to rally on a play that started with the spare punching Benn in the back of the head with the ref looking right at it.  

On 9/23/2020 at 10:10 PM, ztejas said:

We need to:

JUST WIN!!

1272525411.jpeg

Shapiro with an interesting article today with the opinion that IF Bishop is healthy, he should start game 4.   Would be a ballsy move in what is pretty much a must-win game but I kind of like it.  With the massive caveat that it obviously only works if Bishop is ready to go.  I know Bownes took a lot of grief for starting Bishop in the Avs game but the rest of the team was a complete no show and hung him out to dry.   Everyone else has to bring their A game tonight in order to win no matter who is at goal.

Just now, Skipper said:

Shapiro with an interesting article today with the opinion that IF Bishop is healthy, he should start game 4.   Would be a ballsy move in what is pretty much a must-win game but I kind of like it.  With the massive caveat that it obviously only works if Bishop is ready to go.  I know Bownes took a lot of grief for starting Bishop in the Avs game but the rest of the team was a complete no show and hung him out to dry.   Everyone else has to bring their A game tonight in order to win no matter who is at goal.

If Bishop is 90% he needs to go. Khudobin looked like he was running on fumes in G3, and win or lose we will need a rested Khudobin for G5 which will be the most important game in the series. We can't ask Dhob to play a back to back at this point. 

A 3-1 hole would suck but with everything this team has shown tonight doesn't quite feel like a must win. I think we can trust Bish enough to give us a good shot tonight so we can put all of our chips in for Saturday. 

yeah, I caught it.

Bottom line, go fucking score and put the pressure on Tampa Bay, not the Dallas netminder, regardless.

Seguin has like 11 games of sitting on the pot saved up.  We'll take that scoring now, you disappearing motherfucker.

Edited by slorch

56 minutes ago, slorch said:

yeah, I caught it.

Bottom line, go fucking score and put the pressure on Tampa Bay, not the Dallas netminder, regardless.

Seguin has like 11 games of sitting on the pot saved up.  We'll take that scoring now, you disappearing motherfucker.

Seguin has to feel cursed.  He's had some good shots and good looks.  Whiffing on that dribbling puck that bounced on him last game is the epitome of puck luck we haven't had yet.   He hasn't been 100% obviously but I feel like 1 goal will be a massive weight off his shoulders.

41 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Seguin has to feel cursed.  He's had some good shots and good looks.  Whiffing on that dribbling puck that bounced on him last game is the epitome of puck luck we haven't had yet.   He hasn't been 100% obviously but I feel like 1 goal will be a massive weight off his shoulders.

I'm calling my shot. Seguin scores the opener tonight and we win the Cup in 7.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

If Bishop is 90% he needs to go. Khudobin looked like he was running on fumes in G3, and win or lose we will need a rested Khudobin for G5 which will be the most important game in the series. We can't ask Dhob to play a back to back at this point. 

A 3-1 hole would suck but with everything this team has shown tonight doesn't quite feel like a must win. I think we can trust Bish enough to give us a good shot tonight so we can put all of our chips in for Saturday. 

You go balls to wall to win this game. You can not go down 3-1 to Tampa. And don't let him do it on his own. Go out and quit playing sloppy, making stupid penalties (I do get some were bullshit refs calls) and score some goals for him. Go out and get a multi goal lead to ease some stress on his side. You can't think about game 5 before game 4. Win tonight and give him a rest in game 5. It's much better to be down 3-2 going into game 6 than down 3-1 going into 5. Although neither are preferable.

** Nm....Just see Bishop is out for tonight. So it don't make a shit now.