Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:
I remember when you had to literally kill someone on the ice in a OT FInals game.  what a bunch of pussies.  gave em the cup on a horseshit penalty.

I don't want to hear anyone tell me how tough and rugged the NHL is. It's nothing but biased calls and flopping.

given where NHL used to be the flopping I see is damn near NBA levels.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Take your pick.

Dallas not scoring on their power play opportunities.
Segs not scoring goals.
Poor officiating.
TERRIBLE puck control.
BEYOND TERRIBLE zone exits.
Injuries. 

If you're going to write out all of the things we did to lose you should write out why Tampa would have lost this game assuming the refs weren't absolute horseshit. 

We're supposed to play perfect hockey for 60 minutes every game? Fuck out of here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Tampa are the more talented team. The refs don’t need to give them 4-6 soft penalties every game as well. 

I don't think they're that much more talented as you think. They are however in a FAR SUPERIOR puck control system that let's them play down hill. Meanwhile we're playing some ancient kind of dump and chase, kind of chip it out, kind of bullshit style. Tampa just gets the puck in the offensive zone quickly and then they go to work generating shots. We really cannot use this tired excuse. Tampa has pretty much been playing almost every other night. We had a small break coming into the game but we shouldn't be more tired than Tampa. The only way that happens is if you're chasing in your zone for the entire game every night. Then yeah, it gets really tiring.

5 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

I don't think they're that much more talented as you think. They are however in a FAR SUPERIOR puck control system that let's them play down hill. Meanwhile we're playing some ancient kind of dump and chase, kind of chip it out, kind of bullshit style. Tampa just gets the puck in the offensive zone quickly and then they go to work generating shots. We really cannot use this tired excuse. Tampa has pretty much been playing almost every other night. We had a small break coming into the game but we shouldn't be more tired than Tampa. The only way that happens is if you're chasing in your zone for the entire game every night. Then yeah, it gets really tiring.

Their top line has outscored our top line 82-46 these playoffs, they’ve had a top regular season record in the East for 2 years in a row, their goalie won the Veizna last year, Hedman won a Norris recently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, wood said:

I turned it off in disgust. What did they say...?

That was a normal hockey play but the ref was behind so blah blah blah when he flopped he got the call.

They have been doing this all series and getting calls it's like watching an all-Harden team create contact or grab a stick and fall down the whole series. It works I give them credit, the officials reward this pathetic behaviour.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

Had to record the game and watch, finally caught up. Dallas will not be given a chance to win this series, it's being gifted to Tampa. Refs were just waiting for any reason to give a pp to Tampa, if it wasn't Benn it would have been some other bullshit call against someone else

They only needed 5 games to get their two Saturday hockey night in Canada games for the series. Games 6 and 7 are just longer bubble expenses, which are to be avoided. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Their top line has outscored our top line 82-46 these playoffs, they’ve had a top regular season record in the East for 2 years in a row, their goalie won the Veizna last year, Hedman won a Norris recently. 

Yeah take good players and put them in a good system and you get great results. Our players are not terrible, but a team playing in this system can lose 7 games straight and also win 7+ games in a row. Usually good teams can play their system and not be that cold for that long.

Also, like I've said numerous times on this thread throughout the season, dump and chase is shit (except in beer league in which case it's a fucking god send), puck control is the way to go.

Edited by vtaenz
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I doubt it happens but these guys deserve getting to a game 7.  they battle and never give up IMO.

Yeah they've came back some insane games but three in a row with the refs on their side isn't gonna happen. Plus next game is fucking tomorrow so this one was a back breaker.

1 minute ago, vtaenz said:

Yeah take good players and put them in a good system and you get great results. Our players are not terrible, but a team playing in this system can lose 7 games straight and also win 7+ games in a row. Usually good teams can play their system and not be that cold for that long.

Also, like I've said numerous times on this thread throughout the season, dump and chase is shit, puck control is the way to go.

Yeah dump and chase is total shit when you aren't hustling and lazily trying to work it to the boards from your own zone without a real plan.

Like the Klinger goal, he just fucking did it himself

Yeah they've came back some insane games but three in a row with the refs on their side isn't gonna happen. Plus next game is fucking tomorrow so this one was a back breaker.
Yeah it's one thing to come back in a single game. But to come back 3-1 in a series is a whole other deal. And if the refs keep this up, there's no way we even win another game, much less 3 in a row.

And yet they needed a phantom call to close this one out, but go ahead, keep giving them a rim job
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think there is any fix as much as it is just trash officiating by guys who have been conditioned to favor offense above all else.  As somebody who really started watching hockey in the 90s that penalty being called in that moment in that setting, at that spot on the ice just simply does not jibe with what I learned playoff much less Stanley Cup Final hockey, regardless of OT, to be in my formative years.  The NHL needs to stop chasing the NBA and their bullshit and carve out their own fucking identify.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Also, like I've said numerous times on this thread throughout the season, dump and chase is shit (except in beer league in which case it's a fucking god send), puck control is the way to go.

We have not played dump and chase for 60 minutes a night every game in the playoffs to get here. Yes we could have a better offensive system in place and control the puck better but you're seriously underselling what these guys have done to get here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Um, all that you just said points to them being extremely talented. They’re ridiculously good. We scrap and fight and grip. Our best offensive players would probably be third-line players on Tampa. We are really banged up and getting worse by the day. Seguin is hurt (I hope). Our backup goalie is starting to look like a backup goalie.

I never thought we should — or would — win this series but we should’ve won tonight. They had insane puck luck and got a little boost from the officials. Fucking sucks.

Man, I love our role guys. We need an alpha male up top and would be nice for Bish to get healthy.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

We have not played dump and chase for 60 minutes a night every game in the playoffs to get here. Yes we could have a better offensive system in place and control the puck better but you're seriously underselling what these guys have done to get here.

agree...my biggest gripe is we are seriously deficient in speed. and if the NHL is going to go NBA then we need to get more speed.

The Bruins actually had more points this year but your point is valid. The Lightning have been the best team in the NHL over the last two seasons.

agree...my biggest gripe is we are seriously deficient in speed. and if the NHL is going to go NBA then we need to get more speed.

We have speed guys but we’re more of a grind-it-out team at the moment. We lack high-level offensive skill, guys that can create and drive play. We don’t have a MacKinnon, Kucherov, McDavid or Matthews. Our “top” offensive guys are Benn (NHL power forwards break down earlier it seems) and Seguin, who is clearly hurt but has never been the go-to guy on a Cup-caliber team. Pavelski has finally put it together for us in the playoffs but he’s never been a guy that drives play. Our best players are defensemen (Miro, Klinger and Lindell — normally) and a top-flight goalie in Bishop, which is a little crazy considering how poor we were defensively when Ruff was here.

So do you think we go Bishop tomorrow? Dobby has looked rather leaky the last few games. I haven’t heard much about whether Vasilevskiy will do the back-to-back but they’re playing with house money at this point. Can’t imagine they’ll go anywhere else in a potential Cup clincher.

Everything about that game was absolute bullshit.   As was the first period of the last game where we got behind.  The officiating this series has been an absolute fucking disgrace.   Not only was that last call absolute horseshit but there was at least 5 missed on us throughout the game far more egregious than the soccer player flop shit we got called for. Fuck these refs. Fuck the NHL.  And fuck Twitter (for banning me for 12 hours after I told Cameron McGruder to Fucking Kill Himself)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Not to mention I'm sitting on a Stars +1500 ticket I bought in Vegas in February that pays out $2400. Had half forgotten about it.  Fuck.   Let's win tomorrow and get to Monday.

And if Bishop is fucking healthy you absolutely have to play him.  Dobby is tired and frankly lost his magic.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't think there is any fix as much as it is just trash officiating by guys who have been conditioned to favor offense above all else.  As somebody who really started watching hockey in the 90s that penalty being called in that moment in that setting, at that spot on the ice just simply does not jibe with what I learned playoff much less Stanley Cup Final hockey, regardless of OT, to be in my formative years.  The NHL needs to stop chasing the NBA and their bullshit and carve out their own fucking identify.

And that right there is exactly what so many sports leagues just cannot understand these days...grow a fucking pair of balls and stand out from the crowd of pandering sports & entertainment entities.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
20 minutes ago, ztejas said:
They're probably going to do that anyway. 

Fuck you, we're winning tomorrow.

I'd love to see it but tonight felt defeating. I don't know what we can do that we didn't do tonight. Our guys played their fucking hearts out for 60 minutes again and it wasn't good enough. 

Maybe they find something somewhere that I didn't think they had but this shit just feels over. I know it's not over yet but I have no fucking idea how we're going to win 3 in a row with the game being called the way it is. 

8 hours ago, wood said:

I turned it off in disgust. What did they say...?

they said it would "not be good bob" if the game was decided during that power play, as they implied in hushed tones that the "tripping" call was total utter bullshit, when in fact it was as Bowness said in the post presser 2 guys going for a loose puck, their guy hooking our guy, our guy trying to fight through the stick, no legs, feet, skates touching period end of fix.

end of line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I just guaran-damn-tee you that the Boston Bruins will never lose a Stanley Cup Finals game in overtime because of a short-handed goal scored as a result of a penalty that never happened. That is not something that Boston fans will ever have to deal with.  Ever. 

Wait.  They allowed a shorty on power play precipitated by a questionable call, and that is similar to this?

"The refs fucked us by putting us a man up..."