Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

it's crazy to think this team started 1-7-1, head coach got fired, starting goalie got hurt, have no production from the top line in the cup, a 4x UDFA scores a hat trick in a game 7, win an elimination game missing 5 skaters with 35 year old Corey Perry scoring 2 goals and the OT winner. helluva ride thus far huh?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I was thinking how just a few years ago our blue line was considers a huge liability. Now they carry this team. And if Johns could ever get healthy they would be a formidable group. A great mix of skill and toughness.

I think the big rig has been great and is under appreciated...

I hated bringing back Oleksiak but he's been a revelation. He can be in my top six any time. Sekera has more than held his own for the most part. I expected the Lightning to punish him like Calgary and Colorado did.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I hated bringing back Oleksiak but he's been a revelation. He can be in my top six any time. Sekera has more than held his own for the most part. I expected the Lightning to punish him like Calgary and Colorado did.

I'm amazed by how much better Sekera has gotten since the middle of the Colorado series.  Also, Hanley has been very solid. I wouldn't call Oleksiak a "revelation," but we definitely got back a much better player than we originally sent away.

Since it’s an off night, I want to bring back up the first goal of game 4 for Tampa. The end of period breakaway from point.  The studio guys just said it was dickinson’s man and he beat him and left it at that. As did @Firemans4Horn here when I questioned it at the time. 

but that implies some sort of man to man defense that an isolation can defeat, as it did. But why in the last minute, were we not forechecking, and not defending our own blue line?  Gave them a clean pass from their goal line to their blue line, then another across the ice to the other blue line. So we weren’t defending the puck, or the neutral ice passing lanes, or our zone. So wtf were the other 4 doing while 18 was chasing point?

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Since it’s an off night, I want to bring back up the first goal of game 4 for Tampa. The end of period breakaway from point.  The studio guys just said it was dickinson’s man and he beat him and left it at that. As did @Firemans4Horn here when I questioned it at the time. 

but that implies some sort of man to man defense that an isolation can defeat, as it did. But why in the last minute, were we not forechecking, and not defending our own blue line?  Gave them a clean pass from their goal line to their blue line, then another across the ice to the other blue line. So we weren’t defending the puck, or the neutral ice passing lanes, or our zone. So wtf were the other 4 doing while 18 was chasing point?

I'll see if I can find it but there was a good shot of the play from high up behind Tampa's goal but I seem to recall something about Lindell pinching in too far. Ideally, he would've been back to assist Dickinson.

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I wouldn't call Oleksiak a "revelation," but we definitely got back a much better player than we originally sent away.

I agree with that. Guess it's a feeling that we had next-to-zero capable blue-liners when we shipped him off and my feeling was if he couldn't find a place in our lineup then, he must've been terrible.

Just heard Julie Dobbs' ticker and Sekera is questionable for tonight. For fuck's sake.

Here's Shapiro's blurb about the Point goal from Game 4:

7. Fifty-nine seconds after Pavelski’s goal, Tampa Bay found the back of the net on what looked like a set play for Point starting in their own zone.

Point, who can absolutely fly, was the only player on the right side of the ice and left with one-on-one coverage by Jason Dickinson, while the rest of the Lightning players all moved to the left side of the ice, drawing both of the Stars defensemen  Esa Lindell and Andrej Sekera  over, leaving more of a runway for Point to escape Dickinson.

This is what it looked like, courtesy of Sportsnet.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-25-at-11.26.41-PM.pn

Not surviving those final 33 seconds of the first period was deflating for Dallas and elating for Tampa Bay.

Dallas taking penalties had a similar impact, which is how Point tied the game at 2-2, this time from a standing position but in equally as impressive fashion bunting the puck out of the air past Anton Khudobin.

23 hours ago, Skipper said:

Anyone else still drained after that Horns and Stars game back to back?  What a crazy Sports Saturday.

I drank so much Friday night watching the Stars that I was barely able to walk across the street to the football game the next day.  I was unfit to play on Saturday night and watched the Stars in my hotel room. I'm finally back to 100% today.  Never get old guys.  Never get old.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Here's Shapiro's blurb about the Point goal from Game 4:

Thanks that overhead is what I needed. So there was some level of forechecking, but there are zero stars in their d zone or in position to defend their d zone. But they are all near Tampa players who are not threats so good job. If you give them the last rush of a period, it should look more like a pk defense. 

19 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I drank so much Friday night watching the Stars that I was barely able to walk across the street to the football game the next day.  I was unfit to play on Saturday night and watched the Stars in my hotel room. I'm finally back to 100% today.  Never get old guys.  Never get old.

al9cdQK.gif

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thanks that overhead is what I needed. So there was some level of forechecking, but there are zero stars in their d zone or in position to defend their d zone. But they are all near Tampa players who are not threats so good job. If you give them the last rush of a period, it should look more like a pk defense. 

Yeah, Cogliano is pretty deep in the zone there for the puck to be that far up ice. I *think* the puck is just about on the stick of Tampa's high forward on the left. (Not sure why the blue circle is highlighting the guy in the center.) Wasn't the next pass into space that Point beat Dickinson to? There's been a lot of hockey played since then.

And, yes, Saturday was a LONG day of tense sports watching between the Horns and Stars. Glad they both broke our way!

4 hours ago, vtaenz said:
4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:
The reffing has been completely different game to game. Just stay consistent ffs.

McCauley though wasn't calling obvious shit right in front of him. Then he would call the softest penalty ever. I don't have a lot of hope with him calling the game.

Someone, in an earlier post, said that Wes McCauley is Canadian for Angel Hernandez.  Best post of the past week, and it's the most accurate.

• Hook 'Em 1