Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

Can we take a moment to recognize how much of a passionate, hard skating, hard hitting, scoring, assisting, and defending grinder Benn is? I don't think you can play harder over a 20+ game stretch than what he gave us since the bubble started. What a hockey player. Never want to see him on another team.

And Kiviranta. And Khudobin. And even Seguin despite not finding the net. All of 'em. Worked their asses off.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

these guys never quit.  we had to be completely healthy to win this and we weren't, 25% of our team was the Texas Stars I think.  they had a magical run but Tampa was just better offensively.  wanted a game 7 but they gave it everything they had for sure.

on another note, Seguin is the 7th highest paid player in the NHL? yeesh.

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Props to the NHL for pulling this off without a hitch. Bettman is no longer the worst commish in pro sports thanks to help from Rob Manfred.

Bettman gets a bad rap for sure but I think Goodell has been a way bigger assclown than Bettman since he became NFL commish.

Pretty cool to see Blake Coleman be the first born/bred Texan to win the Stanley Cup. Or so I'm told that he is. Hot wife too.

Having slept on it, it's easier to appreciate what a great run that was.    Those guys lived a pretty miserable existence in the bubble without friends or family for months and brought us all a ton of sports joy in a miserable year.  Playoff hockey is just the best.  The crazy ass Colorado Game 7 probably the highlight for me.  Calgary game 6, Vegas game 5 and Tampa Game 5 up there as well.   So many great moments.

• Like 1

Was a fun ride from a non die hard perspective. So many classic games over the time, especially Game 7 with the Avs. Tampa was just the better team and we were injured and ran out of gas. Fuck the refs for Game 4, though. Shitty way to lose in overtime. But this team never gave up and gritted and grinded their way from being down 2-1 against the Flames in round 1 and less than a minute left from being down 3-1 all the way to game 6 of the Finals. Not to mention, the terrible season start after so much hope going into it. Interim coach. I am not one for rah rah talk after losses, especially in the playoffs but you really can't be angry about this loss. We lost to the better team. Tip of the cap to them.

And now over the last decade, every pro sports team from Dallas has made the championship except the shit ass Cowboys. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Skipper said:

Those guys lived a pretty miserable existence in the bubble without friends or family for months and brought us all a ton of sports joy in a miserable year.  

I know what you're saying and it looks 'miserable' on the outside.....but when you're on a hockey team with great chemistry and making a run at the Cup, your teammates are your friends and family. These guys are going to look back at this years from now and remember it as one of the highlights (and lowlights) of their life.  

When you're on a hockey team with a great group of guys, you carry that the rest of your life. 

As Fred Shero once said 'Win today, we walk together forever.' Even with a loss, these Dallas players will have a bond from here on out. 

This was a great run. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, vtaenz said:

FYI doesn't look like we are going to try to keep Janmark. He really hasn't been the same player since his knee injury from Corey Perry in international play a couple years ago.

Kiviranta can step in and give as much as Janmark with better scoring ability so that's a no brainier. 

What to do with the goalie situation and how to keep Gurianov and Hintz are the big questions. Also probably the biggest is Klingberg. Do you let him walk after next season for nothing or do you trade him for picks/prospects? Going to be difficult to pay both him and Heiskanen top 8-10 mil a year D man money. 

What do we know about him?
Consensus was a late teens to early 20s pick. 2nd leading scorer in QMJHL? CHL? I think. Has high hockey IQ and is expected to develop the next 3 to 5 years. On the plus side, he put up great numbers in his rookie year of major junior hockey which is statistically much more significant than a player that puts up huge numbers their last eligible year.

Was on a 16 game point streak from late October through early December showing consistency. Was putting up some huge numbers heading into February before he was injured. He plays on a not so great team.
He has good hands and pretty good passing.

So there's a lot of promising things there. The negatives are he's not very big or physical. He's improved his skating but it needs to be better. He makes some lazy plays defensively.

13 hours ago, vtaenz said:

FYI doesn't look like we are going to try to keep Janmark. He really hasn't been the same player since his knee injury from Corey Perry in international play a couple years ago.

I think we'll give some good effort get excited, think it might happen, be real close, only to miss in the end

5 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Kiviranta can step in and give as much as Janmark with better scoring ability so that's a no brainier. 

What to do with the goalie situation and how to keep Gurianov and Hintz are the big questions. Also probably the biggest is Klingberg. Do you let him walk after next season for nothing or do you trade him for picks/prospects? Going to be difficult to pay both him and Heiskanen top 8-10 mil a year D man money. 

We have Klingberg for two more seasons. 

From Sean Shapiro twitter:

Jamie Benn played through a shoulder surgery he had right before the stoppage in the NHL playoffs.

Roope Hintz fractured his ankle against Vegas and played through it and then injured his hip against Tampa in the Stanley Cup Final.

Tyler Seguin had knee issues late in season, had a torn labrum in his hip as well. Looking at 4-month time for rehab on the hip surgery.

Stephen Johns just didn't feel comfortable playing anymore according to Nill with his past history. So he was not available to play.

Ben Bishop had knee surgery in late May. He came back in training camp he was on and off with it, got into bubble and in the end didn't have enough time to heal.

John Klingberg injured his shoulder in round robin, he did battle that. Miro Heiskanen had a hip injury against Vegas.

Anton Khudobin had surgery yesterday on his arm. He had numbness in his hands, nerve was moved around in arm and everything should be fine.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 10:01 PM, C-Man said:

Again, I’ll wait to pass judgement when we find out how healthy he was.

From Monkey Doughnut's post: "Tyler Seguin had knee issues late in season, had a torn labrum in his hip as well. Looking at 4-month time for rehab on the hip surgery."

Yeah, I think that might've had some effect on Seguin's production.

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

From Sean Shapiro twitter:

Jamie Benn played through a shoulder surgery he had right before the stoppage in the NHL playoffs.

Roope Hintz fractured his ankle against Vegas and played through it and then injured his hip against Tampa in the Stanley Cup Final.

Tyler Seguin had knee issues late in season, had a torn labrum in his hip as well. Looking at 4-month time for rehab on the hip surgery.

Stephen Johns just didn't feel comfortable playing anymore according to Nill with his past history. So he was not available to play.

Ben Bishop had knee surgery in late May. He came back in training camp he was on and off with it, got into bubble and in the end didn't have enough time to heal.

John Klingberg injured his shoulder in round robin, he did battle that. Miro Heiskanen had a hip injury against Vegas.

Anton Khudobin had surgery yesterday on his arm. He had numbness in his hands, nerve was moved around in arm and everything should be fine.

His article in The Athletic was great today. Worth the price of admission. 

Dobby is testing the free agent waters (team did offer him a contract). Sounds like he gets a nice deal elsewhere stars are prepared for Oettinger to be the backup. 

Cap crunch with Faksa, Gurinov and Hintz RFA’s and not a lot of $$$ room to move. 

A different Athletic article said that Hintz would be an attractive player for another team’s GM to sign to an offer sheet. But due to unwritten rules those rarely happen. 

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Guessing this is the end of the road for Johns. We need some blue-line help. Sounds like Dobby is going to entertain other offers. We need him back -- or another good alternative for when Bishop inevitably gets hurt again.

I'm actually interested to see what Otter can do. I mean, he does boast a 1.000 save% in playoffs after all (joking, of course). But if he is truly the goalie of the future, then put him in as backup this season and see how far we can ride Bish, with Otter in cleanup. I thought keeping Dobby would be a tall task after his last two seasons. Clearly the $2.5M we've been paying isn't going to cut it anymore. He's likely going to nearly double that. I don't think we have justify spending 10%+/- of our cap on goalies when one is likely to only play 1/3 of the season, or less

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm actually interested to see what Otter can do. I mean, he does boast a 1.000 save% in playoffs after all (joking, of course). But if he is truly the goalie of the future, then put him in as backup this season and see how far we can ride Bish, with Otter in cleanup. I thought keeping Dobby would be a tall task after his last two seasons. Clearly the $2.5M we've been paying isn't going to cut it anymore. He's likely going to nearly double that. I don't think we have justify spending 10%+/- of our cap on goalies when one is likely to only play 1/3 of the season, or less

Agreed. If they really think Oettinger is the future. Like it or not, the future is very fucking soon even if they can keep Dobby. I think he's 35 or 36, as is Bishop.