Dallas Stars 2019-2020 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

More on the Montgomery situation from Mac Engel/FWST:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article239005603.html?fbclid=IwAR1FuIcz8Ia9FE74bG3Ldp7bGXIPj7Z4NupQMNot9ohQ3tmSYypyRp6dQ6U

Former Dallas Stars coach Jim Montgomery released a statement, and admitted he has a drinking problem, but this is not the sole reason he was fired from the team on Dec. 10.

According to sources, there was a specific incident that led to the Dallas Stars’ firing of Montgomery, but out of respect for the coach and his family everyone within the organization has remained silent on the particulars.

According to sources familiar with the situation, Montgomery’s after-hours behavior and relationship with alcohol had been a point of concern during his first and only season with the franchise. Montgomery’s admission was not a new development with the franchise.

Sources said Montgomery’s relationship with alcohol was an issue and a contributing factor in the decision to remove him as coach.

Holiday Sale!

Get an annual digital subscription for only $20. Act before it's gone!

VIEW OFFER

Sources said Stars general manager Jim Nill had previously implored his hand-picked coach to change the behavior, and to stop with the excessive public episodes of drinking. The club tried to work with Montgomery on this, and to give him time and space to alter the behavior.

During the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs, Montgomery was known to frequent the popular bar Moxies, which is owned by Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi. The bar is attached to the high-end hotel, The Crescent, which is close to the American Airlines Center.

Now, a coach tossing back a few beers is not exactly a new phenomenon in the NHL. The league, and the sport, have a long history of players and coaches partaking in a few drinks. And “a few beers” in the NHL is measured by cases, not cans.

The problem was more of visibility; the head coach of the Dallas Stars was out frequently, drinking a bit too much, often in the bar owned by the same man who signed his checks.

It was a bad enough look that the GM had to talk to his head coach about it, and essentially issue a warning. The club was aware that Montgomery had struggled with this before.

In 2008, he was arrested for DUI while in Florida, when he was an assistant coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).

The Stars were aware of this arrest when they hired him in May of 2018 from the University of Denver.

In his statement, Montgomery, 50, said, “I let the team’s front office, staff and players down. More importantly, I let my wife and my family down. The team’s decision to end my role forced me to look into the mirror and decide whether I wanted to continue living a damaging lifestyle or get help. I decided to get help.”

Since Nill announced Montgomery’s firing, the team has played well under interim coach Rick Bowness.

The club has won seven of 11 games under Bowness, including the highly successful Winter Classic played before more than 85,000 at the Cotton Bowl on New Year’s Day.

The Stars are currently 24-14-4, and in third place in the NHL’s Central Division.

And here it is in plain text for everyone else. 

Former Dallas Stars coach Jim Montgomery released a statement, and admitted he has a drinking problem, but this is not the sole reason he was fired from the team on Dec. 10.

According to sources, there was a specific incident that led to the Dallas Stars’ firing of Montgomery, but out of respect for the coach and his family everyone within the organization has remained silent on the particulars.

According to sources familiar with the situation, Montgomery’s after-hours behavior and relationship with alcohol had been a point of concern during his first and only season with the franchise. Montgomery’s admission was not a new development with the franchise.

Sources said Montgomery’s relationship with alcohol was an issue and a contributing factor in the decision to remove him as coach.

Sources said Stars general manager Jim Nill had previously implored his hand-picked coach to change the behavior, and to stop with the excessive public episodes of drinking. The club tried to work with Montgomery on this, and to give him time and space to alter the behavior.

During the 2019 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs, Montgomery was known to frequent the popular bar Moxies, which is owned by Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi. The bar is attached to the high-end hotel, The Crescent, which is close to the American Airlines Center.

Now, a coach tossing back a few beers is not exactly a new phenomenon in the NHL. The league, and the sport, have a long history of players and coaches partaking in a few drinks. And “a few beers” in the NHL is measured by cases, not cans.

The problem was more of visibility; the head coach of the Dallas Stars was out frequently, drinking a bit too much, often in the bar owned by the same man who signed his checks.

It was a bad enough look that the GM had to talk to his head coach about it, and essentially issue a warning. The club was aware that Montgomery had struggled with this before.

In 2008, he was arrested for DUI while in Florida, when he was an assistant coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).

The Stars were aware of this arrest when they hired him in May of 2018 from the University of Denver.

In his statement, Montgomery, 50, said, “I let the team’s front office, staff and players down. More importantly, I let my wife and my family down. The team’s decision to end my role forced me to look into the mirror and decide whether I wanted to continue living a damaging lifestyle or get help. I decided to get help.”

Since Nill announced Montgomery’s firing, the team has played well under interim coach Rick Bowness.

The club has won seven of 11 games under Bowness, including the highly successful Winter Classic played before more than 85,000 at the Cotton Bowl on New Year’s Day.

The Stars are currently 24-14-4, and in third place in the NHL’s Central Division.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I owned a Dallas blackhawks logo puck at one time back in the 80s though I don’t think I ever went to a game. 

I've still got a Dallas Blackhawks stick and puck at the house from a game my parents took me to when I was like 3 months old.  Haha.  

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

If hockey fires you because hockey people think you drink too much then got damn you must be a monster alcoholic. Hockey people drink like the Irish after a funeral most days of the year. I don't want to even imagine what too much is for them. 

He probably tried to diddle some waitress at Moxie's in front of everyone and it got back to Gaglardi and he told Nill the fool gots to go. It's uptown Dallas for fucks sake, how fucking stupid do you have to be to constantly drink at the ONE bar out of dozens in the area that's owned by your boss?

If hockey fires you because hockey people think you drink too much then got damn you must be a monster alcoholic. Hockey people drink like the Irish after a funeral most days of the year. I don't want to even imagine what too much is for them. 
He probably tried to diddle some waitress at Moxie's in front of everyone and it got back to Gaglardi and he told Nill the fool gots to go. It's uptown Dallas for fucks sake, how fucking stupid do you have to be to constantly drink at the ONE bar out of dozens in the area that's owned by your boss?
Can confirm.