Richard Jewell

futureman

Eastwood is amazing at quickly filming and releasing movies.  He started filming in late June and the movie is being released in December.  I get that movie studios love the big budget blockbusters but Eastwood doesn’t tie up capital for 2-3 years. Give him some money and your start seeing returns in 6 months.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When the fbi is investigating you as the bomber, people are going to wonder if it’s true.

AKA, the ole guilty until you prove to me that you're innocent cuz AUTHORITAH.  Prosecutors love "people" that hold this belief.  Helps to skip having to deal with all that messy constitutional rights business.

If you ever find yourself agreeing with the "people", you've probably lost the plot.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, Buzzrock said:

No doubt. Brings back memories. I was 24 and went to lots of Olympic events that year. Luckily wasn’t down there for the bombing. Eric Rudolph was a sick fuck.

Not sure how this will turn out, but even as a 10 year old I remember the craziness of this event since my Dad is from Atlanta and was so damn proud when they were awarded the Olympics. It seemed like overnight Jewell was being accused of planting the bomb after being hailed as a hero, I was struggling to wrap my head around why someone would do such a thing.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:22 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Eastwood is amazing at quickly filming and releasing movies.  He started filming in late June and the movie is being released in December.  I get that movie studios love the big budget blockbusters but Eastwood doesn’t tie up capital for 2-3 years. Give him some money and your start seeing returns in 6 months.

rather him slow down and mix in some quality.  of course he’s 90 now, so...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

that was probably the last movie he made that i really enjoyed.  it came out in 2008.

somehow, he's made 8 movies since then (not counting richard jewell).

i thought american sniper was crap, and a buddy of mine was in it.

Didn't realize it was that old.  Yeah wasn't a fan of American Sniper, although I guess he did what he could with the source material.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Didn't realize it was that old.  Yeah wasn't a fan of American Sniper, although I guess he did what he could with the source material.

he needs to pick better source material.

"hey clint, did you hear some guys foiled a terror attack in paris?"

"no, i didn't.  how fast can we have a script ready?"

• Like 1

He hasn't been great lately, but generally Clint picks really good stories and then films them very basic and blandly. It still turns out to be a good watch, but someone else could have probably elevated them to the next level. Thinking mystic river, changeling, million dollar baby, etc. 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, henrygandorf said:

he needs to pick better source material.

"hey clint, did you hear some guys foiled a terror attack in paris?"

"no, i didn't.  how fast can we have a script ready?"

that movie was goddamn trash.  can’t remember being more disappointed sitting in a theater. 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, henrygandorf said:

that was probably the last movie he made that i really enjoyed.  it came out in 2008.

somehow, he's made 8 movies since then (not counting richard jewell).

i thought american sniper was crap, and a buddy of mine was in it.

American sniper was fine, but I have never really had the urge to watch it again. So mediocre, really.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, RPM said:

Apparently nobody did. 

Caught it on opening night.  I'm not a movie critic, I just wanna be entertained.  I was entertained and certainly thought it was worth the price of admission.  Rockwell was solid as was Kathy Bates.  The fat guy was good as well.  I remember a lot of that as it happened, "Mr. President, clear my son's name" and even then thought Jewell was still guilty so to see what he was up against, even fictionalized, was an eye opener for me.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

the issue here is adding a fictional element where an actual historical person (who is now dead) slept with sources for a story

I saw her as more of a composite representation, but I understand the concern. The media was rabid to fry an innocent man was the point.

The media was sued by Jewell and he came away with settlements. 

Olivia Wilde was terrific in the role  - and her character is rehabilitated in the film. 

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I saw her as more of a composite representation, but I understand the concern. The media was rabid to fry an innocent man was the point.

Olivia Wilde was terrific in the role  - and her character is rehabilitated in the film. 

What better way to make that point than by defaming a dead woman. A dead woman whose reporting about Jewell was found to be true by a court of law.

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

If the character is a composite representation, then you don’t name her after a real person. You can use artistic license if you’re writing about historical people but not someone from recent history. You’re going to be called out when you lie about her.

As far as the real story itself, the media went too far but jewel was declared a suspect by the fbi. The media then ran with that in a way much less harshly than anyone on this board or social media would go after him today.  Of course this is why the media now uses the ridiculous term “person of interest” to make it sound less ominous although we all interpret that as suspect.

should be remembered that jewel lost his only defamation lawsuit that went to trial. The others settled to make the case go away.

And it should be remembered the actual bomber confessed to the crime after eluding authorities for years.

While the FBI and the media focused on the wrong person, the actual bomber planted at least three more bombs.

The real bomber is in prison at Florence ADMAX USP and will be imprisoned for the rest of his life. 

At an emotional press conference this week, a now exonerated Richard Jewell spoke of his ordeal as the chief suspect in the Olympic Park bombing. "I couldn’t think straight, I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t eat” he said. Then later he admitted “Alright, I could eat..." - Norm MacDonald

• Like 2

And it should be remembered the actual bomber confessed to the crime after eluding authorities for years.
While the FBI and the media focused on the wrong person, the actual bomber planted at least three more bombs.
The real bomber is in prison at Florence ADMAX USP and will be imprisoned for the rest of his life. 

What does that have to do with Clint Eastwood being a hypocrite piece of shit?

3 hours ago, DanRydell said:

What better way to make that point than by defaming a dead woman. A dead woman whose reporting about Jewell was found to be true by a court of law.

This film is a prime example of what this film is protesting. The sad thing is Clint doesn't see it.

21 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is what happened then any different than what would happen today?  I was 12 in 96, so I don't know the details of how bad the media screwed him over.  Any high profile crime today and the public takes any morsel of information and runs wild with it.

The media screwed him over by reporting that the FBI had Jewel as their #1 suspect which was true.  And as I posted above, jewell lost his only case that went to trial.

once law enforcement has you as their suspect, they’re only focus is finding evidence on you.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie