Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 12/4/2019 at 8:43 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I hate croutons in my salad. If they come in a packet on the side, I either throw them away immediately, or even eat them individually, separate from the salad. But once I put the dressing or the vinaigrette on my salad, the last thing i want is a soggy crouton with one of my bites.

Not only do I like croutons on a salad, I also crush up one or two packs of crackers and put those on a salad as well.  

I don't find the Army-Navy game "deeply moving" or whatever hyperbolic cliches are often used to describe it. I think it's a neat tradition and an interesting rivalry. I'll watch it if I"m near a TV. But it doesn't "move" me that they are service academies. They are just two historic NCAA rivals, and I find all historic rivalrly games interesting. 

Edited by 'stache

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't find the Army-Navy game "deeply moving" or whatever hyperbolic cliches are often used to describe it. I think it's a neat tradition and an interesting rivalry. I'll watch it if I"m near a TV. But it doesn't "move" me that they are service academies. They are just two historic NCAA rivals, and I find all historic rivalrly games interesting. 

I didn't either until I went to one.  TV misses a metric crap-ton of what makes the game great, such as the prisoner exchange, the spirit videos, and the interaction between the two student bodies on their end of the field.

What the future holds for the students is absolutely a differentiating factor, however. It's not just the same ole, same ole; when it comes to rivalries.

I don't see your opinion as 'unpopular.' It's not like you're slamming it as boring/ meaningless like the poster in the Army-Navy thread.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 2:05 PM, 'stache said:

Being a Naval Academy grad and having attended several of these games, I can definitely see where you’re coming from. It’s special to me, because it’s my alma mater. It’s “moving” to me, because it’s my commissioning source. It’s the fiery birthplace to over a third of all Naval and Marine Corps officers. It’s more than just a game, because the players all go pro in the warrior profession. But I don’t think every outsider needs to force these ideals upon themselves. And I can certainly agree that it’s not the highest quality of football, from an entertainment perspective. If you ever do get the chance to witness it in person, you’ll see that it is a very special experience for the Mids/Cadets and all alumni.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 7:44 PM, Thetexashammer said:

I enjoy litening to Petros Papadakis.

I think he's fine as well. Don't get the hate. 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

everything about Baby Yoda is obnoxious and annoying

I concur, and to keep things topical, I really don't care for the Mandalorian. Just meh TV. 

Being a Naval Academy grad and having attended several of these games, I can definitely see where you’re coming from. It’s special to me, because it’s my alma mater. It’s “moving” to me, because it’s my commissioning source. It’s the fiery birthplace to over a third of all Naval and Marine Corps officers. It’s more than just a game, because the players all go pro in the warrior profession. But I don’t think every outsider needs to force these ideals upon themselves. And I can certainly agree that it’s not the highest quality of football, from an entertainment perspective. If you ever do get the chance to witness it in person, you’ll see that it is a very special experience for the Mids/Cadets and all alumni.
This is how I feel about it. I get the meaning of the game for many. But I have no ties to the military at all. And the quality of play just is not that appealing. The pageantry is what makes the game as big as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Love the guy, but I just have a feeling Leach will flop at Miss State. Won’t make it 4 full seasons.

I don’t get the Leach love. Sure he won 8-9 games a year on average at tech with the cast off in state talent that UT/OU and A&M didn’t want. It’s not that difficult to win 8-9 games in the Big 12 as a Texas school if you have half a brain and don’t lose to Kansas  

He’s never won anything of utter importance and constantly gets his dick kicked by whoever his main rival is or pees down his leg in big games (2008 Texas notwithstanding). 

But he says funny things in press conferences!!1!1

So hire Dave Chapelle to do your press conferences and a different coach who wins conference titles and beats his rival. 

This may not be unpopular (and it sure as shit won't be if more people would try it), but the card game Uno is much more fun when played with open hands. We started playing this way just to help Doomlet learn the game, and our family much prefers it. There's a lot more strategy involved, a lot more alliances and backstabbing (though table talk is discouraged), and the games last a lot longer with more reversals of fortune and "last ditch desperation card drawn to thwart someone from going out" fireworks. 

Try it sometime. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 7:43 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I hate croutons in my salad. If they come in a packet on the side, I either throw them away immediately, or even eat them individually, separate from the salad. But once I put the dressing or the vinaigrette on my salad, the last thing i want is a soggy crouton with one of my bites.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:21 AM, Underdog said:

If I want more crunch or don't have croutons, I'll add sunflower seeds to my salad. 

I add sliced almonds instead of croutons. If I don't have sliced on hand, I just crush whole almonds and toss those in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This may not be unpopular (and it sure as shit won't be if more people would try it), but the card game Uno is much more fun when played with open hands. We started playing this way just to help Doomlet learn the game, and our family much prefers it. There's a lot more strategy involved, a lot more alliances and backstabbing (though table talk is discouraged), and the games last a lot longer with more reversals of fortune and "last ditch desperation card drawn to thwart someone from going out" fireworks. 

Try it sometime. 

We used to play "Fast Uno," where you don't have to wait your turn to play a card. If someone plays a red 3, you can play a blue 3 even if it's not your turn, provided you can lay the card before the player whose turn it is can act. Anyone can play a playable card at any time if they can play it first, even playing multiple cards in a row. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Jerry Seinfeld should kiss Larry David's feet for help giving his career because Seinfeld's comedy is meh, he's not a great comedic actor and was the third best character on his own show (after Kramer and George). 

If it weren't for Seinfeld's comedy, which he developed over years on the nightclub circuit, you never would've heard the name Larry David. I watched Jerry Seinfeld evolve over the years appearing on Carson. I saw him mature into a polished act. AntennaTV airs full episode reruns of Carson every night at 11e/10c. You could watch for yourself.

They were a brilliantly successful partnership and were of like minds. To suggest that poor little Jerry would've been nothing without Larry is moronic and I'm sure Larry David would agree. 

And yeah, everyone knows he can't act. They even made jokes about it on the show. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We used to play "Fast Uno," where you don't have to wait your turn to play a card. If someone plays a red 3, you can play a blue 3 even if it's not your turn, provided you can lay the card before the player whose turn it is can act. Anyone can play a playable card at any time if they can play it first, even playing multiple cards in a row. 

I'll keep this in mind for when I need to provoke the boy into a tantrum! 

4 hours ago, strangulation! said:

tamales are not that great.

Someone had to say it, man. They’re fine. Every year the same person comes through our office selling their homemade tamales. “Best tamales you’ll ever try”. They’re always really popular in the office. I’ve tried them. They’re fine. And I love Mexican food. Arguably my favorite type of food. But I don’t get why tamales are so universally loved.

1 hour ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Jerry Seinfeld should kiss Larry David's feet for help giving his career because Seinfeld's comedy is meh, he's not a great comedic actor and was the third best character on his own show (after Kramer and George). 

I love Larry David's show and character, and 100% opposite for Seinfeld.  How does that even work?

On 1/10/2020 at 1:56 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

If it weren't for Seinfeld's comedy, which he developed over years on the nightclub circuit, you never would've heard the name Larry David. I watched Jerry Seinfeld evolve over the years appearing on Carson. I saw him mature into a polished act. AntennaTV airs full episode reruns of Carson every night at 11e/10c. You could watch for yourself.

They were a brilliantly successful partnership and were of like minds. To suggest that poor little Jerry would've been nothing without Larry is moronic and I'm sure Larry David would agree. 

And yeah, everyone knows he can't act. They even made jokes about it on the show. 

You're forgetting Larry David's integral role as man with cape, because as you can imagine, it was a good cape day. 

Also, a newsstand vendor.  The aforementioned attorney.  A b-movie actor.  And of course, the owner of a marquee MLB franchise.  

I realize for most of you "The Big Bang Theory" is the height of not only comedy, but your entire existence.  But you will bow down before the man in the cap damn you!