Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 1/10/2020 at 3:20 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 1/10/2020 at 12:50 AM, Helobious said:
Love the guy, but I just have a feeling Leach will flop at Miss State. Won’t make it 4 full seasons.

Leach in the deep South in Mississippi is going to be hilarious. Especially coming from Washington State. About as polar opposite as you can get.

He coached about 5 years in Valdosta, GA.  I think he has a handle on the deep South.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Someone had to say it, man. They’re fine. Every year the same person comes through our office selling their homemade tamales. “Best tamales you’ll ever try”. They’re always really popular in the office. I’ve tried them. They’re fine. And I love Mexican food. Arguably my favorite type of food. But I don’t get why tamales are so universally loved.

Mostly because they're good.

Some of the reason is probably because they're one of those foods that almost no one makes themselves. It's always someone's grandmother and she only makes them around the holidays or when rent is due. So the scarcity of the homemade ones also helps too.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:19 AM, Js1 said:

I don’t get the Leach love. Sure he won 8-9 games a year on average at tech with the cast off in state talent that UT/OU and A&M didn’t want. It’s not that difficult to win 8-9 games in the Big 12 as a Texas school if you have half a brain and don’t lose to Kansas  

He’s never won anything of utter importance and constantly gets his dick kicked by whoever his main rival is or pees down his leg in big games (2008 Texas notwithstanding). 

But he says funny things in press conferences!!1!1

So hire Dave Chapelle to do your press conferences and a different coach who wins conference titles and beats his rival. 

Who are the coaches they should go after instead?  The ones who win titles at all these 2nd and 3rd tier schools like Tech, Washington State, and MSU? A guy like Leach is the best they could ever get and expect to retain for a while.   You might luck into a Matt Rhule kind of guy but he won’t stay any longer than he has too.  

On 1/13/2020 at 7:55 PM, luke duke said:

I never hold the elevator for anyone (unless its a smoking hot chick) and you're an asshole if you expect anyone to hold one for you.

Prior to the Alamo Bowl last month, I was holding the hotel elevator door open so a young mom with two toddlers and a stroller with an infant could get on. Three high school football players (wearing their All-American sweatshirts) cut in front of her to pile in. All of a sudden a loud voice from out of my sight said, “get off guys, and let the lady on”. Coach was pretty embarrassed at the lack of basic manners.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If someone does the human blockade thingy in a public roadway and fucks up traffic for everyone else, it should be legal to plow them over.

Your freedom ends where mine begins, so GTFo of the way.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

I like some jazz, but don't know what Branch/genre it is.   Think background music for Taxi Driver.  What type of jazz is that?

Try "Kind of Blue" Miles Davis. Let me know if that is what you mean and I can suggest more.

• Like 1

I'm OK with price gouging during emergency situations:

1. It would teach people to prepare for things in advance. The more people who are prepared, the better off everyone is.

2. It prevents hoarding. If toilet paper cost 10x the normal price, I would only buy the smallest package available, if I were in need, and not five 95 roll mega packs from Costco.

3. It ensures that items are available to those who absolutely need/want them, even if its at a premium price. There's people all over my Nextdoor feed begging for hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, etc. because they just had surgery, they're old and scared that won't survive a Coronavirus infection, etc. For an extra $50 they could get some hand sanitizer or N95 masks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Well there's also a difference between "gouging" and ""supply vs demand".

10x price increase?  GTFO. 

But if retailers want to raise the price 150 or 200%? Sure, that's just good old fashioned capitalism.

If its needed for health or emergency i agree.  Otherwise if its an item or service of choice or merely meets a want i'm for charging what someone is willing to pay.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 8:01 PM, luke duke said:

I'm OK with price gouging during emergency situations:

1. It would teach people to prepare for things in advance. The more people who are prepared, the better off everyone is.

2. It prevents hoarding. If toilet paper cost 10x the normal price, I would only buy the smallest package available, if I were in need, and not five 95 roll mega packs from Costco.

3. It ensures that items are available to those who absolutely need/want them, even if its at a premium price. There's people all over my Nextdoor feed begging for hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, etc. because they just had surgery, they're old and scared that won't survive a Coronavirus infection, etc. For an extra $50 they could get some hand sanitizer or N95 masks.

Doesn’t it encourage hoarding, like those POS’s that bought thousands and thousands of bottles of sanitizer to sell for a higher price? 

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I think nurses need to shut the fuck up and stop posting shit on social media. Just do your fucking job and stop complaining.

I know a ton of people that work in the medical field and I haven’t seen or heard of a single one “complain.” They were taking this situation a lot more seriously than the public dating back to late February, but I wouldn’t say any of them were outright complaining. 

We’ve been spoiled. Something like this was always a possibility. It sucks to say, but when you decided to go to nursing school, you signed up for this. Maybe you didn’t anticipate it, but you had to know something like this was in the range of outcomes for your profession. But I do genuinely feel bad for them. Washing your hands, wearing a mask, and “social distancing” to the best of your ability can only go so far when your hospital is flooded with covid-19 patients. 

• Like 1

I know a ton of people that work in the medical field and I haven’t seen or heard of a single one “complain.” They were taking this situation a lot more seriously than the public dating back to late February, but I wouldn’t say any of them were outright complaining. 
We’ve been spoiled. Something like this was always a possibility. It sucks to say, but when you decided to go to nursing school, you signed up for this. Maybe you didn’t anticipate it, but you had to know something like this was in the range of outcomes for your profession. But I do genuinely feel bad for them. Washing your hands, wearing a mask, and “social distancing” to the best of your ability can only go so far when your hospital is flooded with covid-19 patients. 

More directed at jersey...
They signed up to care for patients while being provided proper protection and equipment, not to act like live battlefield triage. In the hotspots, The stress has undoubtedly wrecked their immune systems further compromising their well being.

I’m not exactly mr. ‘bless our nurses/troops’ as I agree with the you signed up for it, but what is being done to our medical professionals on the frontlines of this is borderline criminal.
  • Like 2

Don't necessarily believe it, but it is a theory/stream of consciousness that has crossed my mind....anybody else?

The Corona Virus is earths way of fighting back. The earth is a living breathing thing and our ability to exponentially increase our population, deplete every resource, and essentially kill this planet demands earth to fight back. It releases a virus and darwinism essentially takes place. Only the fittest survive and long term this is actually beneficial for our society as humans as we reset and remind ourselves what is important.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, TexanTraveling said:

Don't necessarily believe it, but it is a theory/stream of consciousness that has crossed my mind....anybody else?

The Corona Virus is earths way of fighting back. The earth is a living breathing thing and our ability to exponentially increase our population, deplete every resource, and essentially kill this planet demands earth to fight back. It releases a virus and darwinism essentially takes place. Only the fittest survive and long term this is actually beneficial for our society as humans as we reset and remind ourselves what is important.

Thoughts?

I just think someone ate a raw bat.