Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

Not really missing sports right now. And I thought I would. Maybe it's time for America to move on from the old forms of entertainment. It's time for a reset to get our priorities right and change some of the people and things we over value.
I reserve the right to change my mind, come the first Saturday in September.
I don't completely disagree with this.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Not really missing sports right now. And I thought I would. Maybe it's time for America to move on from the old forms of entertainment. It's time for a reset to get our priorities right and change some of the people and things we over value.

I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent.  But politics has been turned up way past 11, and I can't stand that shit.  Give me MORE sports to maybe help this shit go away. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent.  But politics has been turned up way past 11, and I can't stand that shit.  Give me MORE sports to maybe help this shit go away. 

Unfortunately any sport we see this year will be full of politics. So you will get the double whammy.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I miss sports specifically. But I do miss having something on the TV when I'm doing something around the house. Or timing all my Sunday chores so that I can open a beer right at first pitch of a Ranger's game. 

I will say I don't ever watch NASCAR, but both me and my wife sat down and watched the last 30 or so laps once the baby went to sleep. 

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I'm not sure that I miss sports specifically. But I do miss having something on the TV when I'm doing something around the house. Or timing all my Sunday chores so that I can open a beer right at first pitch of a Ranger's game. 

I will say I don't ever watch NASCAR, but both me and my wife sat down and watched the last 30 or so laps once the baby went to sleep. 

I mean, it's great background noise, and I love the social aspect of watching with friends with food/drinks.  But like, I'm not missing it as I would normally be. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:01 PM, luke duke said:

I'm OK with price gouging during emergency situations:

1. It would teach people to prepare for things in advance. The more people who are prepared, the better off everyone is.

2. It prevents hoarding. If toilet paper cost 10x the normal price, I would only buy the smallest package available, if I were in need, and not five 95 roll mega packs from Costco.

3. It ensures that items are available to those who absolutely need/want them, even if its at a premium price. There's people all over my Nextdoor feed begging for hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, etc. because they just had surgery, they're old and scared that won't survive a Coronavirus infection, etc. For an extra $50 they could get some hand sanitizer or N95 masks.

that's an OK take IMO.  Hurricane in S. Florida?   If you can charge 50 bucks a sheet for plywood, perhaps a NY lumberyard would load up a truck and haul plywood down there, thus increasing the supply of much-needed plywood. 

On 6/22/2020 at 5:30 PM, Brothahorn said:

I made it through March just fine without college basketball. That just leaves college football, which had lost a lot of its attraction for me before this summer but has been my favorite sport since I was ten; I dropped the NFL more than 15 years ago, the NBA more than 20, and MLB after the 1994 strike, and I never came back to any of them.

All I really miss about sports is how I felt about them when I was 15, when I didn't really understand anything anyway. There's not really any way to bring that back, barring a massive head wound of some kind. So maybe they're childish things and need to be put away.

Sports message boards too, come to think of it.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:39 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

On 6/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, Js1 said:

I mean, it's great background noise, and I love the social aspect of watching with friends with food/drinks.  But like, I'm not missing it as I would normally be. 

On 6/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

I made it through March just fine without college basketball. That just leaves college football, which had lost a lot of its attraction for me before this summer but has been my favorite sport since I was ten; I dropped the NFL more than 15 years ago, the NBA more than 20, and MLB after the 1994 strike, and I never came back to any of them.

All I really miss about sports is how I felt about them when I was 15, when I didn't really understand anything anyway. There's not really any way to bring that back, barring a massive head wound of some kind. So maybe they're childish things and need to be put away.

Sports message boards too, come to think of it.

I've only ever passively cared about other sports.  I'll watch or go to a few Mavericks or Rangers games a year, but I've never been passionate about it. I will be absolutely depressed if/when CFB doesn't happen at all this year.

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

I don't get the hype for Hamilton.  I may be getting older, but I'm watching these dudes attempting to rap, dancing around in garb from the 1700s....wondering if they're actually serious.

I watched it with my daughter and I told her I didn't think it was entirely historically accurate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:51 PM, LABEVO said:

100% agree

This is the unpopular opinions thread.  Shitting on In-N-Out on this site isn't really unpopular.  

Here is an unpopular opinion that is 100% my own: In-N-Out is better than Whataburger, and it's not even close.  

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

I don't get the hype for Hamilton.  I may be getting older, but I'm watching these dudes attempting to rap, dancing around in garb from the 1700s....wondering if they're actually serious.

I can count on one hand the number of musicals I enjoy, and most of them were written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.  

Hamilton is not one of those musicals.

• Like 1

I can count on one hand the number of musicals I enjoy, and most of them were written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.  

Hamilton is not one of those musicals.

Yep. I can’t stand live theater or musicals. Tried twice to watch Hamilton. Made it 10 minutes the first time and maybe 20 the second time. Maybe it’s the least annoying musical of all time?

This is the unpopular opinions thread.  Shitting on In-N-Out on this site isn't really unpopular.  
Here is an unpopular opinion that is 100% my own: In-N-Out is better than Whataburger, and it's not even close.  

Damn it Tom. You don’t know how well you have it if you can get whataburger whenever you feel like it

I feel you’re taking life for granted

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. I can’t stand live theater or musicals. Tried twice to watch Hamilton. Made it 10 minutes the first time and maybe 20 the second time. Maybe it’s the least annoying musical of all time?

Did you make it to King George's song? I've been humming it all weekend, thoroughly enjoyable. I like the whole thing, but musical theater isn't for everyone, just as I don't really care for most "blockbuster" movies.

12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

nothing about this surprises me

Not sure what you're saying here. It's not the best song, but one of the ones that sticks in your head. There are others that stick with me but that song is crazy catchy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, CooterBrown said:

Hawaiian rolls are fucking gross.  They have the texture of wet bread.   Any dinner roll is far better than any Hawaiian roll.

Sister Schubert for the win. 

Edited by lateshow
  • Like 4

If football goes away, I would miss that. I can easily live without the others. I don't think about baseball at all. Maybe because the Rangers have sucked for years now. I kind of missed the NBA playoffs but hardly even think about the NBA now days. Oh and March Madness. I was looking forward to that.

I associate fall with football. It won't be the same if it isn't there.

And even now, conferences are backing out of non conference games. The season won't be the same at all. College football without the fans and the atmosphere won't be nearly as entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:51 PM, LABEVO said:

100% agree

My thoughts exactly about Whataburger. Cold bun, lukewarm if you are lucky meat that is already bland. Extremely thin pieces of meat, too. The only ones worth a damn are the Favorites. Their regular burgers are terrible. I enjoy In N Out much more. And now that Whataburger sold to a Chicago company, maybe Texans can drop their weird obsession with this fast food joint. But probably not. It's like sacrilegious to have anything but high praise for this almighty fast food spot. I think it is more of a Texan pride thing more than anything else. Only Texans give a damn about opinions on Whataburger.

• Hook 'Em 1