Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Yep.

One son was born in 93.  at the tail end of Millenial years ending around 96, according to Wiki.

Younger son born in 98. , at the beginning of Gen Z.

They are physically in the same generation, but these arbitrary descriptors say they are separate  There's definitely some melding and crossover, depending upon the environment in which someone grew up.

I have first cousins born in the mid to late 70's, so it's the same thing.  They're squarely Gen X according to whomever and I'm squarely a Millenial according to whomever, but we're of the same physical generation.  Hell, I have cousins on the same side of the family that are squarely Gen Z.  So 3 "generations" under one generation of my grandparents' offspring.

I was born in 1981 and graduated high school in 2000. I don't consider myself a millennial.
You're a "cusper" like me, also 1981. There was no major event between Gen X and Millennials like there was for other generations (Vietnam, 9/11), so there are a blurry few years between the generations. I remember watching the whole first season of the Real World, didn't have internet until junior high and didn't have a phone until after college. I also thought of myself as more Gen X, but it's not black and white. If you can remember the Challenger disaster, you're definitely Gen X. If you can't remember time before internet, you're definitely Millenial. We're in between.

Born in 82, graduated in 2000. Nobody lumped people my age into the millennial bracket until about 10 years ago. My wife is 6 years younger than me but there's a pretty big generational gap between us. 

I've seen our small mini generation called Xennials. Also The Oregon Trail generation. Either way we are decidedly separate from millennials. 

Born in 82, graduated in 2000. Nobody lumped people my age into the millennial bracket until about 10 years ago. My wife is 6 years younger than me but there's a pretty big generational gap between us. 

I've seen our small mini generation called Xennials. Also The Oregon Trail generation. Either way we are decidedly separate from millennials. 

Gen Z was the commonly used name prior to millennial. Millennial is the term that finally stuck. And most of the talking about millennials didn't happen until they became commercially important. Guess when that was?

9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm gonna draw the line in the sand with Pokemon vs Super Mario Brothers.  If you grew up with the former, you're a millenial. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I'm gonna draw the line in the sand with Pokemon vs Super Mario Brothers.  If you grew up with the former, you're a millenial. 

By this standard, I'm definitely not a millenial.  I played Super Mario Brothers, and when Pokemon came out, it was something my younger cousins were into (they're about 7-8 years younger than me).  I thought it was for babies.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I'm a millennial and the first Mario game I remember playing was Mario Bros. on the Atari 2800.  I played Super Mario Bros. at Showbiz Pizza on an arcade machine before I ever played it on my NES.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:55 PM, Okie State said:
On 8/15/2020 at 8:02 PM, Druggist said:
As someone who loves breakfast tacos, a good NM breakfast burrito smothered in green is far superior to just about any breakfast taco I can get here in Austin.  If this opinion is unpopular, it shouldn’t be.

One of the best breakfasts I ever had was a green chile breakfast burrito at Tortilla Flats in Santa Fe, NM.

I am vsiting my 80+ parents in ABQ. I just finished a #1 and a #2 breakfast burrito.  #1 is eggs, bacon, hash browns, and green chile. #2 is eggs, hash browns, and carne adovada. Manna from heaven. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I haven't read this whole thread, but here goes:

I hate those clips on ESPN when the special needs kid makes a basket in a game. I mean, good for him and it's a great experience, but there is no way I would have let that kid score in high school. You want to score? You'd better do it from the free throw line, if you can get up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I hate those clips on ESPN when the special needs kid makes a basket in a game. I mean, good for him and it's a great experience, but there is no way I would have let that kid score in high school. You want to score? You'd better do it from the free throw line, if you can get up.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Cheerleaders are only allowed on the court during breaks in play.  Just fluff up your pom-poms and cheer your team to victory. 

• Haha 1

I’m not going to say I hate Dr Pepper because it’s still soda. I’ll drink if offered to me. But I can’t think of a single drink that you could order at a restaurant or fast food place where I would say “I’d rather have DP than this drink.” That even includes shit like grape/strawberry soda or water. I just don’t understand how anyone would ever go out of their way to order a Dr Pepper over a coke or Pepsi (if we’re staying in the same family of dark soda).

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m not going to say I hate Dr Pepper because it’s still soda. I’ll drink if offered to me. But I can’t think of a single drink that you could order at a restaurant or fast food place where I would say “I’d rather have DP than this drink.” That even includes shit like grape/strawberry soda or water. I just don’t understand how anyone would ever go out of their way to order a Dr Pepper over a coke or Pepsi (if we’re staying in the same family of dark soda).

AdolescentLikableGoldfinch-size_restrict

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ll say it.  I hate Dr. Pepper.  Just vile stuff.  

• Like 2

On 8/20/2020 at 3:35 PM, BHMCruiser said:

I would pos emoticon this, but then it wouldn't be an unpopular opinion

Dr Pepper is disgusting to me.  As is almost all soda.  Maybe once a month, I'll have one...mostly the usual Coca Cola or Pepsi.  I just don't see the point of soda, hence the "unpopular opinions" thread.  It's just wasted calories and it's not that good tasting.  If you're gonna drink sugary calories, why not make it alcohol?  I've never come home after a long day at the office or took a break after hours of yardwork, cracked open a soda and though, "Ah yeah, I'm relaxing."  But I sure as shit do that with a beer or cocktail.  I used to sit next to this grown man at DKR who would wear a football jersey and drink soda the whole game and I just thought, "Man, and I thought I acted like a child."  

Dr Pepper is disgusting to me.  As is almost all soda.  Maybe once a month, I'll have one...mostly the usual Coca Cola or Pepsi.  I just don't see the point of soda, hence the "unpopular opinions" thread.  It's just wasted calories and it's not that good tasting.  If you're gonna drink sugary calories, why not make it alcohol?  I've never come home after a long day at the office or took a break after hours of yardwork, cracked open a soda and though, "Ah yeah, I'm relaxing."  But I sure as shit do that with a beer or cocktail.  I used to sit next to this grown man at DKR who would wear a football jersey and drink soda the whole game and I just thought, "Man, and I thought I acted like a child."  
Lmao bro that was probably me.

Fuck you I wanted a damn Coke.

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Lol. Quit drinking and get back to us. It won't be so "disgusting" anymore.

Edited by ztejas
I can't spel

yeah, I do know most people who've quit drinking shift to sodas or Topo Chico or all these new sparkling waters.  I do love a proper unsweet iced tea with lemon.  I'd probably do that and pretend it was whiskey like Dean Martin.  But I don't think people in recovery account that much soda consumption in this nation, I'd say less than 5%.  It's mainly children, adult children, fat children, and fat adult children. 

It pains me to see how much of that shit my sister pumps into my nephew.  It's hard to breach personal choice/personal consequences to him because she's so damn protective of her mothering skills and he's only 12.  But it's buckets of soda and gatorade each day for the kid.  He's involved in athletics but he doesn't need that kinda liquid sugary, caloric intake.  He's way too big for a kid of his age.  Anyway, soda rant over.  Or wait, is it too soon to turn him onto beer or wine so he can pass out before he has a chance to take in so many calories?  

New unpopular opinion.....kids fall sports leagues that are non-school affiliated.  Just fucking shut it down.  two families on our very small street have been exposed already and we're barely into the season and all our kids play outside together almost every day.  Your kids is not getting a scholarship to college, just stop for one fucking semester.  That's it, small sacrifice.  You can still practice at home or in very, very small groups.  Just knock it off, I've seen your kids.  They're not going to the Olympics.  They're not getting a full ride to UT.  Dad is 5'8"...the kid is quick and has a good jump shot, but an indoor basketball league right now?  Junior ain't getting a hoops ride in Div. 1.  Let's take a few months off? 

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I made a pretty hard shift to sparkling water because I put on a covid 19lbs (give or take) but to me, nothing beats a good freshly cracked sprite. That’s the one soda that’s been hard for me to quit. The sparkling water helps, but eventually i cave and get that 20oz. To me, that’s easily the best soda and it isn’t even close.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

I don't eat at In N Out a ton, but in Dallas, their fries are pretty good.  Fried crisp and hard, low or unsalted, so you gotta do something about that.  Must be the franchisee.

Whataburger, on the other hand, is hit or miss, mostly miss.  But I am such a carb fiend that I love them all.  Again, might be a franchisee issue.

Sonic's #4 Jalapeno Cheeseburger is in my burger rotation.  Damn tasty.

17 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I made a pretty hard shift to sparkling water because I put on a covid 19lbs (give or take) but to me, nothing beats a good freshly cracked sprite. That’s the one soda that’s been hard for me to quit. The sparkling water helps, but eventually i cave and get that 20oz. To me, that’s easily the best soda and it isn’t even close.

That's interesting...Sprite was kinda the one soda I would drink regularly in my 20's and it was the soda that kinda convinced me to quit drinking soda.  Plus, my metabolism overall hit a slow crawl around age 30/35.  I really did enjoy it and it still looks refreshing.  I just feel gross after I drink one.  It did not/does not have a good aftertaste. 

I had a Dr Pepper yesterday with my Popeyes. Slammed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I had a Dr Pepper yesterday with my Popeyes. Slammed

Just to be clear, DP is fine. Kinda like with fruit, I don’t really think there’s a soda that i think is flat out nasty. At least none that I’ve tried. It’s just....DP very clearly ranks last out of ALL of the sodas lol

Edited by youdunnf'dup

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Sprite? That’s like one of the worst sodas. It doesn’t even have caffeine. Were you out of Fresca?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, BHMCruiser said:

Sprite? That’s like one of the worst sodas. It doesn’t even have caffeine. Were you out of Fresca?

I don’t think if I’ve ever actually had a Fresca to be honest. Was that in the RC cola family? And I don’t need the caffeine when I’m drinking soda. I’ve had this conversation about sprite with a few people and I’m definitely in the minority. I will say that 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Sprite is the second best after Dr Pepper, then it’s root beer.

Root beer out of a frosty mug or cold bottle. 

Dr. Pepper out of an ice cold can. 

Sprite out of a perfectly calibrated fountain. 

That's the list but there's no order. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Root beer out of a frosty mug or cold bottle. 

Dr. Pepper out of an ice cold can. 

Sprite out of a perfectly calibrated fountain. 

That's the list but there's no order. 

Ice cold Mexican coke in a glass bottle? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1