Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

I'd say, "Let's go get a drink." 

That assumes alcohol at my house.

“Coke” is carbonated sodawater usually from a drive thru, possibly random fountain.
“Sweet/shake” is a malt, shake, float, blizzard, soft serve, etc. Possibly dine in during the before times, but likely from a fast food place.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Covri said:

Texans assume coke products plus Dr Pepper and look confused when Pepsi products are offered.

I don't think Texans should be confused when Pepsi products are offered. Applebee's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, Golden Corral, iHOP, Buffalo Wild Wings, Quiznos, and Furr's.  That's a whole lotta shitty restaurants that serve Pepsi products to a whole lotta Texans.  Millions in fact.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I don't think Texans should be confused when Pepsi products are offered. Applebee's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, Golden Corral, iHOP, Buffalo Wild Wings, Quiznos, and Furr's.  That's a whole lotta shitty restaurants that serve Pepsi products to a whole lotta Texans.  Millions in fact.  

You know coke products are more popular in Texas and I’d argue that Pepsi products are more popular in the Midwest. And I only eat at KFC occasionally from the above list had no idea those restaurants were Pepsi places. Taco Bell and Pizza Hut I did know, but never got drinks from either when I did go there. That’s a pretty shitty lineup of places to eat lol.

I don’t think if I’ve ever actually had a Fresca to be honest. Was that in the RC cola family? And I don’t need the caffeine when I’m drinking soda. I’ve had this conversation about sprite with a few people and I’m definitely in the minority. I will say that 

5ae3893319dcebac1bd9c45e73f7496f.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, Lobo said:

I ate at a Quiznos once.  Down there among the worst sandwiches i've ever eaten and overpaid to boot.  Are they still in business?  Same with Applebee's, i didn't think there could be a poor man's Chili's.  Chili's is a poor man's [insert crappy restaurant].

Edited by RollLeft

Yeah, Quizno's business model seems to be, "What if we made the same shitty food as Subway, but charged twice as much for it because we toasted it in a $39 toaster oven at the end?" 

I do have a point of contention though, Chili's and Applebee's are not poor man's restaurants.  I guess it's their marketing scam, but those places are not cheap.  Nobody looks down on them because they're cheap, we look down on them because they're horrible.  A salad or split appetizer, one of their gourmet burgers, and 2 beers will cost about $35 with tip.  That's not cheap, at all.  That's overpriced crap.  So I guess my unpopular opinion is that Chili's and Applebee's are not cheap.  It's a delusion they created in the minds of the public to make people think they are a cheap alternative to eating-out, and they're not.  

On 9/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, Lobo said:

And Texans know that those restaurants have shitty F'ing "Coke" products.  :) 

10 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I ate at a Quiznos once.  Down there among the worst sandwiches i've ever eaten and overpaid to boot.  Are they still in business?  Same with Applebee's, i didn't think there could be a poor man's Chili's.  Chili's is a poor man's [insert crappy restaurant].

I read once that Quizno's was essentially a scam.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, Storm the Field said:

This is the worst day of the year on social media. Jingoism as performance art coupled with heaping scoops of "how can I turn this national tragedy 20 years ago into something that focuses on me?"

Every fucking year people re-hash the same tired stories of where they were and what they were doing when it happened. No one fucking cares you were at the office or in school when this happened. Every single person on the planet was doing something when this happened. Get over yourself.

• Like 2

Not me, I was sitting in a blank room eating crackers like Mulaney.  

Unpopular, and maybe this is just childhood nostalgia talking...but RC Cola was better than Coke or Pepsi. I think it was cheaper too but there was something about any icy blue can of RC Cola.  And you didn't see it in restaurants, just from the grocery store for stuff like picnics, fishing, or after baseball practice.  If ever saw some for sale today, I'd buy them.  I think Dr Pepper bought them out a few years back, and I know it's an unpopular opinion on here to say Dr Pepper is fucking gross.  Tastes like somebody poured paprika into an expired root beer and let it sit in the sun for an hour.  

Edited by Lobo

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not me, I was sitting in a blank room eating crackers like Mulaney.  

Unpopular, and maybe this is just childhood nostalgia talking...but RC Cola was better than Coke or Pepsi. I think it was cheaper too but there was something about any icy blue can of RC Cola.  And you didn't see it in restaurants, just from the grocery store for stuff like picnics, fishing, or after baseball practice.  If ever saw some for sale today, I'd buy them.  I think Dr Pepper bought them out a few years back, and I know it's an unpopular opinion on here to say Dr Pepper is fucking gross.  Tastes like somebody poured paprika into an expired root beer and let it sit in the sun for an hour.  

My grandma kept RC Cola around, and I always preferred it as a kid.  I haven't had one in probably 25 years, and have preferred Coke since sometime in my teens, but maybe I should grab one for nostalgia's sake.

• Hook 'Em 1

I see that HEB sells them by the 12-pack.  That's way more than I need.  But I like it out of the can, not the 2-liter.  I'll toast one with you and then use the other 11 to make cocktails.  

Arra Cee is pretty good.  It's a little less sweet in the sugared version than either Coke or Pepsi. In that sense, it's a more "adult" cola than the other two.

Until Coke Zero came along, Diet Pepsi was the best sugar-free cola out there.  Diet Coke tastes like shit.  I don't know what they were thinking with that.

I don't really consider Coke and Pepsi to be one or the other.  Coke::Pepsi as Sprite::Root Beer.  They're just different drinks.  And RC is a different one still, although I would submit it is more similar to Pepsi than Coke.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Arra Cee is pretty good.  It's a little less sweet in the sugared version than either Coke or Pepsi. In that sense, it's a more "adult" cola than the other two.

Until Coke Zero came along, Diet Pepsi was the best sugar-free cola out there.  Diet Coke tastes like shit.  I don't know what they were thinking with that.

I don't really consider Coke and Pepsi to be one or the other.  Coke::Pepsi as Sprite::Root Beer.  They're just different drinks.  And RC is a different one still, although I would submit it is more similar to Pepsi than Coke.

There's so many "healthy" variants to coke I can't keep track of what's what but they all seem to taste shit

I recall hearing that diet coke is based on the New Coke formula while Coke Zero is based on Coke Classic (aka just Coke).

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I recall hearing that diet coke is based on the New Coke formula while Coke Zero is based on Coke Classic (aka just Coke).

Could well be, I think Diet Coke and "New Coke" came out about the same time.  Diet drinks always taste kind of bitter and astringent, but DC takes it to a whole nother level.  Tab was my favorite diet cola for a while, but I think Coke Zero supplanted it.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Coke Zero is much better than Diet Coke.

But for some reason my wife prefers Diet Coke and buys it instead.  

I know a few people like that. Almost or maybe all women.

My cousin, who were Coke fiends when they were young (nothing else would do, my grandparents kept Pepsi, so it became a thing), declare that Diet Coke tastes like it has dishwashing soap in it.  I can't disagree.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I loved RC Cola growing up. No idea the last time I had one. Don't think I have had one as an adult. And yes, Dr Pepper is disgusting. I always enjoyed Mr. Pibb much more than Dr. Pepper

Drink up!/hell or high water

Edited by TwiceHorn

What's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke?  They are both sweetened with aspartame, that shit that causes cancer in rats and overweight women named Karen alike.  The list of ingredients basically looks the same. 

Just now, Lobo said:

What's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke?  They are both sweetened with aspartame, that shit that causes cancer in rats and overweight women named Karen alike.  The list of ingredients basically looks the same. 

Coke Zero is a reasonable facsimile of Coke.

Diet Coke is carbonated piss with Palmolive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Diet Coke is carbonated piss with Palmolive.

Mmmmmmm........that sounds good, I'll have that.  /LloydChristmas

But seriously, what's the difference they pitch to the public?  Is one full-tilt flavor for the sportsman in your life and the other a refreshing treat for the pre-menopausal women in your life, meaning you?  

Edited by Lobo

Wasn't that stuff from like the 50's?  My dad used to talk about it.  It's been gone for damn near a half century, no?  

Jolt was still going strong until I was outta undergrad.  I think it even made a comeback a few years ago during the energy drink craze.  

I think Diet Rite is gone for good, but at least they were around in the last few decades.  I dunno, there's such a huge market now for niche colas and sparkling waters and all that.  It's damn impressive in a way since it's never been easier to just drink water, coffee, and alcohol like God intended.  But to each his own.  You do see a lot of beverage brands being resurrected whether it's in the soda world, juice, beer, etc.  But you don't really see the reboot when it comes to liquor/hard spirits.  We should get together on Surly and re-launch a brand.  

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Every fucking year people re-hash the same tired stories of where they were and what they were doing when it happened. No one fucking cares you were at the office or in school when this happened. Every single person on the planet was doing something when this happened. Get over yourself.

And most people’s memories of what they were doing when they saw it/heard about it are probably wrong. Even with seminal events like 9/11, most of us unintentionally change/embellish the memory in very significant ways as time goes by. For a fascinating walk down the fickleness of human memory, check out Gladwell’s podcast:  http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/24-free-brian-williams

• Like 1

And most people’s memories of what they were doing when they saw it/heard about it are probably wrong. Even with seminal events like 9/11, most of us unintentionally change/embellish the memory in very significant ways as time goes by. For a fascinating walk down the fickleness of human memory, check out Gladwell’s podcast:  http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/24-free-brian-williams
Odd. I remember that day vividly. Building a house off West Mary in Austin. I remember the exact job radio the info came down on. Going home early to process. Then seeing the images. Nothing I can think of that would be wrong.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Born to Run said:
15 hours ago, nnm said:

Odd. I remember that day vividly. Building a house off West Mary in Austin. I remember the exact job radio the info came down on. Going home early to process. Then seeing the images. Nothing I can think of that would be wrong.

Listen to the podcast. Odds are that if you had written all that down in a journal immediately after the event, and compared that journal to today’s memory, it would have changed in at least some material respects. Memory is a tricky thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

Listen to the podcast. Odds are that if you had written all that down in a journal immediately after the event, and compared that journal to today’s memory, it would have changed in at least some material respects. Memory is a tricky thing. 

Wait. Are you telling me that I wan't the captain of the football team and banged all the cheerleaders?

angry key and peele GIF

• Haha 1

Mmmmmmm........that sounds good, I'll have that.  /LloydChristmas
But seriously, what's the difference they pitch to the public?  Is one full-tilt flavor for the sportsman in your life and the other a refreshing treat for the pre-menopausal women in your life, meaning you?  

I don’t know what the difference is but they taste remarkably different

40 minutes ago, nnm said:

Depends on what "material respects" means.  Most of our days are not so eventful that we would get them "materially" wrong.  In my case on 9/11, I was a young partner in my firm and I was about to leave for downtown Houston when the first plane hit.  The news reports were vague at  first--they didn't want to (or couldn't) say it was a terrorist attack yet.  I left my home thinking to myself that it was a small plane that hit the first tower.  On the way to work I listened to the radio and heard the report of the second tower being hit.  I knew it was terrorism at that point like most everyone else.  At work I heard that one of the towers collapsed.  Then I heard the second one collapsed.  I gave my secretary a dictation tape and left the office and went to church to pray.  Most of the folks at work left early.  Shockingly, there were only a few people in church.  When I got home my wife had gotten our young kids out of school and we watched the news for the rest of the day.  Nothing there to get "materially" wrong.  But sure, like most lawyers, I've read about people's memory and how it can change and be affected by trauma.  I get the point.  

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wasn't that stuff from like the 50's?  My dad used to talk about it.  It's been gone for damn near a half century, no?  

Jolt was still going strong until I was outta undergrad.  I think it even made a comeback a few years ago during the energy drink craze.  

I think Diet Rite is gone for good, but at least they were around in the last few decades.  I dunno, there's such a huge market now for niche colas and sparkling waters and all that.  It's damn impressive in a way since it's never been easier to just drink water, coffee, and alcohol like God intended.  But to each his own.  You do see a lot of beverage brands being resurrected whether it's in the soda world, juice, beer, etc.  But you don't really see the reboot when it comes to liquor/hard spirits.  We should get together on Surly and re-launch a brand.  

Nope. My father-in-law still drinks them.