Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

Listen to the podcast. Odds are that if you had written all that down in a journal immediately after the event, and compared that journal to today’s memory, it would have changed in at least some material respects. Memory is a tricky thing. 

Memory is certainly an interesting thing and we all remember incorrectly or reimagine the details.

That day though, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on because I was taking pictures of the Pentagon on fire. I don’t recall exactly what I ordered at the burrito place in Adams Morgan though.

And most people’s memories of what they were doing when they saw it/heard about it are probably wrong. Even with seminal events like 9/11, most of us unintentionally change/embellish the memory in very significant ways as time goes by. For a fascinating walk down the fickleness of human memory, check out Gladwell’s podcast:  http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/24-free-brian-williams

That’s such a great podcast. Memory is an amazing thing.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Interesting. I need to try it. Their zero calorie sweetened lime sparkling water is the best zero calorie soda I have had. It doesn’t have that nasty aftertaste that others have. At least to my taste buds.

The orange is great too.  Actually, I like all of their flavors of zero calorie sparkling water.  Except for Strawberry.  That shit sucks.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Interesting. I need to try it. Their zero calorie sweetened lime sparkling water is the best zero calorie soda I have had. It doesn’t have that nasty aftertaste that others have. At least to my taste buds.

I get the lime, lemon and grapefruit unsweetened sparkling water.  They go great with vodka, or by themselves  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah the HEB Cola Zero is basically Coke Zero but with a sweet aftertaste instead of that chemical aftertaste that you get with all Coke products. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, Covri said:

You know coke products are more popular in Texas and I’d argue that Pepsi products are more popular in the Midwest. And I only eat at KFC occasionally from the above list had no idea those restaurants were Pepsi places. Taco Bell and Pizza Hut I did know, but never got drinks from either when I did go there. That’s a pretty shitty lineup of places to eat lol.

Dude they love them some fucking Pepsi in NYC...although I was pleasantly surprised upon moving there that Dr Pepper is not impossible to find.

Edited by Ignatius

18 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Dude they love them some fucking Pepsi in NYC...although I was pleasantly surprised upon moving there that Dr Pepper is not impossible to find.

Pepsi HQ is in Purchase NY, which is north of NYC in Westchester county, so that is part of the reason.    Hard to find a Coca Cola vending machine in that area. 

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've been struggling to enjoy marijuana. It just makes me dizzy and difficult to talk. I found some edibles that I kind of like, but smoking it has not been enjoyable.

Are you putting any of it in your butt? 

A lot of beginners don't know that you have to do that a few times before smoking will produce the desired effect. 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Diet Coke tastes like shit.  I don't know what they were thinking with that.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Lobo said:

What's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke?  They are both sweetened with aspartame, that shit that causes cancer in rats and overweight women named Karen alike.  The list of ingredients basically looks the same. 

diet coke has the same flavor profile as new coke (or, chronologically, new coke had the same flavor profile as diet coke).  coke zero has the same flavor profile as coke.  i think coke was trying to make diet coke taste like diet pepsi, which came out in the 60s. 

I went through a Diet Coke phase for about 5 years.  Drank a couple a day regularly.  A few years ago I said fuck it and went back to plain old regular Coke.  I'm as healthy now as I was then.  Weigh the same, blood work numbers including blood sugar is the same, body fat is the same...  I'm not saying Coke is healthy, because it certainly isn't, but the difference in healthiness between it and Diet anything isn't enough to warrant drinking that putrid shit.  An active lifestyle and junk food in moderation is working just fine for me.  YMMV.  

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I went through a Diet Coke phase for about 5 years.  Drank a couple a day regularly.  A few years ago I said fuck it and went back to plain old regular Coke.  I'm as healthy now as I was then.  Weigh the same, blood work numbers including blood sugar is the same, body fat is the same...  I'm not saying Coke is healthy, because it certainly isn't, but the difference in healthiness between it and Diet anything isn't enough to warrant drinking that putrid shit.  An active lifestyle and junk food in moderation is working just fine for me.  YMMV.  

yes, 280 empty sugar calories per day aren't going to make or break a moderately active, healthy person.

14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You can't tell me what to do. You're not my...

nevermind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Well one of them has calories and one doesn't. This isn't some conspiracy or something.

I don't know if aspartame is better than sugar or not. Neither are good for you.

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well one of them has calories and one doesn't. This isn't some conspiracy or something.

I don't know if aspartame is better than sugar or not. Neither are good for you.

I'm not saying anything about the caloric count.  I'm saying if you're fat you're still gonna be fat if you switch to DC.  If you're skinny and healthy you're still gonna be skinny and healthy if you drink a Coke sometimes.  There's a difference between the two products but it isn't life changing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm not saying anything about the caloric count.  I'm saying if you're fat you're still gonna be fat if you switch to DC.  If you're skinny and healthy you're still gonna be skinny and healthy if you drink a Coke sometimes.  There's a difference between the two products but it isn't life changing.  

Depends on how much coke you're drinking. 

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

As bad as Herbie and Vernie are, they got nothing on the massive suckitude that we call "NBA announcers".

I'll have to take your word for it.  For me to verify/debunk your statement, I'd have to actuallly watch an NBA game.  I probably haven't done that since at least 2010, and maybe since 2000.  Terrible product.

• Like 1