Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  When I say the earliest albums didn't age as well I'm talking specifically about the production.  Nothing wrong with the songs themselves or Twist and Shout, I like them all, but some of the recordings or the mixing or whatever you call it sounds dated to my ears.  I still enjoy the songs, but they sound "old" whereas the later albums almost feel like they could have been recorded much more recently then the 1960s.

Their early albums were recorded on a two track recorder which means they were basically live.

Twist and Shout was recorded in one take at the end of a long recording session in which John could barely even speak. Turns out to be one of the greatest rock and roll vocal recordings inhistory.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s great if you love the Stones but they didn’t introduce the blues to rock music anymore than Rush introduced syncopation (an opinion my brother seems to hold).

I thought Billy Ocean introduced syncopation. 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, burntorangebongos said:

Yes, those albums were great. But I'll have to commend Ztejas for recognizing that Who album with its innovative use of synthesizers and great sound. It propelled hard rock forward and is a definite landmark album. Saying it is better than anything the Stones put out is arguable at best.

This is unpopular opinions. I'm not trying to be super objective or academic. If anything I'm trying to ruffle feathers. I like The Who better than the Stones or Beatles. Sue me. 

19 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This is an unpopular opinion?

I thought there was universal surl hatred of it, but doing a little historical searching, I see that it was only a couple of people on the unpopular food opinions thread, and that was from a couple of years ago. You know how time compresses when you're old...I thought it was a couple of months ago. 

21 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Olives suck.

Maybe you need to try better olives. I didn’t like olives for a long time but that was because I was only familiar with pimento-stuffed green olives from a jar and sliced black olives from a can. I got over my hangup by sampling an olive from the olive bar whenever I went to the grocery. Blue cheese-stuffed olives are great. I know an Italian market that used to carry habanero-stuffed olives that were awesome but I haven’t seen those in awhile. They went great with a Bloody Mary. I’m not a big martini drinker but if I have one, I’m not garnishing it with an onion. That requires an olive or two.

How do you feel about olive oil? That’s a staple I could barely live without.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Csb/ I'm in Greece and offered a black olive w/salt by shopkeep. Had the taste in my mouth all day.

They pollute pizza. Olive oil is wonderful just like salsa, marina but don't want a raw tomato.

Solid humblebrag but I have no idea what the last sentence is trying to convey. 

I guess that in their raw form, I  don't like some things. But derivative products can be great.
Feel same way about alcohol. Have to cover the taste w/mixers.

Strike two!

Olives are awesome, peppered, stuffed with jalapeños, or garlic, or pimento, or onion, on and on and on….yum! Team Bubba Gump on olives.

If you have to use mixers with alcohol, you probably are not drinking top shelf! Pro tip, pay extra for the good stuff, and drink less with the generally increased proof of the top shelf. Less calories that way too.

Or you might be a woman!/s
  • Haha 1

Right, because in your world women don't like the taste of alcohol. Maybe we should ask the female mafia here on Surley. 

Csb/ in-law gives tours of Scottish distilleries. Very interesting and could taste the regional flavorings. Ocean, Forests...  Last scotch I drank.

Edited by Nolacycling

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

Csb/ I'm in Greece and offered a black olive w/salt by shopkeep. Had the taste in my mouth all day.

They pollute pizza. Olive oil is wonderful just like salsa, marina but don't want a raw tomato.

I don’t like raw tomatoes. I wish I did. Life would be easier if I did. That’s my hangup and it’s my problem. I think that’s a weakness on my part but I don’t think I can ever get over it. I’ve fought back against my distaste for olives and learned that some olives are really good. I’ve fought back against my distaste for tomatoes and can cook with them and enjoy them in many dishes, sometimes even exceeding the amount of tomatoes and their juices than the recipe calls for. I’ve never had a problem with tomato sauces as long as they were cooked and seasoned enough to mask their raw tomato flavor. I don’t think I can ever get over my revulsion over the taste of raw tomatoes.

I’ve considered starting a thread on the Food & Travel board about food hangups and how to get over them but never bothered. But I have made some progress in getting over my olive hangup and I’m more tomato-friendly now than I used to be. I’m jealous of Anthony Bourdain because he could eat anything. I wish I could do that. I was practically scolded once by a waitress at a Japanese restaurant when I didn’t eat the head of my jumbo prawn...eyes, antennae, and all. I can suck the head of a crawfish but eating eyeballs is a bridge too far. Again, that’s on me. I know that. I can’t help it. I figure the best I can do is make little incremental steps wherever I can and hope to make some improvement. But I honestly don’t know if it’s possible to ever make myself like raw tomatoes, let alone eyeballs. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Sliced tomato with flaky salt and fresh ground pepper is terrific. Put them in the oven for a little bit and they are good too. Put a little mozzarella, maybe a thin slice of prosciutto before the oven, just fantastic. I'm glad I don't have your tastebuds otherwise I'd miss out on this deliciousness.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sliced tomato with flaky salt and fresh ground pepper is terrific. Put them in the oven for a little bit and they are good too. Put a little mozzarella, maybe a thin slice of prosciutto before the oven, just fantastic. I'm glad I don't have your tastebuds otherwise I'd miss out on this deliciousness.
Put 'em in a salad, put 'em in a stew, make your very own tomato soup.
You can eat 'em with eggs, you can eat 'em with gravy
You can eat 'em with beans, pinto or navy.
Put em on the side, put 'em in the middle, put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

When I was young I could eat raw, sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper. (Jarred olives too.) I’m not exactly sure when things changed. I used to also like tomato soup. My best guess is that there was this one evening when my single mom left me and my older brother and sister to look after ourselves for some reason. We were eating Campbell’s tomato soup and I decided to get some food coloring (my mom was an excellent baker and had food coloring for the frosting she used on cakes) and add it to my soup. That entertained my siblings, they added a little to their own soup, and I, being the youngest and eager for the validation, kept adding more to my soup until it was a cold, bluish-grey disaster. I got some laughs which made me feel good but I never could finish that bowl of soup.

I don’t know if that was a hard threshold or anything. I think I was already more enthusiastic about tending the strawberries and the corn in the garden than the tomatoes at that point. And I think it had been a long time since I’d eaten raw slices of tomato with salt and pepper by then. But somehow that tomato soup incident seemed to be a marker of some sort.

Ive tried. I just can’t do it. I don’t know why. 

7 hours ago, Paco said:

Put em on the side, put 'em in the middle, put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle

Only two things that money can’t buy

And that’s true love

and homegrown tomatoes. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Taylor Dayne would've been bigger than Madonna if she had the right support system.

Madonna either co-wrote or wrote 95% of her own stuff. She was also an accomplished dancer before her music career got rolling. Taylor Dayne had a string of hits off a single album, none of which were written or produced by her. She also danced about as well as Elaine Benes.

9KxN.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Madonna either co-wrote or wrote 95% of her own stuff. She was also an accomplished dancer before her music career got rolling. Taylor Dayne had a string of hits off a single album, none of which were written or produced by her. She also danced about as well as Elaine Benes.

9KxN.gif

Madonna also desperately sought Susan, and Taylor Dayne didn't do shit to help look. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, smuggs said:

9KxN.gif

Taylor looks like she doin some Tae Bo

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2022 at 9:32 PM, Paco said:

you sound like Samwise Gamgee

Edited by 52-80
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:17 AM, smuggs said:

9KxN.gif

I'm gonna take the L here.  Strike 1.

How about Howard Jones is far more talented than Huey Lewis, he just didn't sleep his way to the top?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 9:42 AM, closetohumping said:

I'm gonna take the L here.  Strike 1.

How about Howard Jones is far more talented than Huey Lewis, he just didn't sleep his way to the top?

No one is to blame, really...

Cholula is a better stand by than Tobasco. But the flavored tobascos aren't bad. I've definitely moved on from Cholula in terms of what I keep at home but if I'm eating out it's still acceptable and I still prefer it 10/10 over that disgusting Tobasco crap. 

Luzianna is better than both. As are a lot of other sauces.