Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuckers who don’t know the difference between Louisiana style hot sauces (Crystal is my choice) and Mexican style hot sauces (Valentina or Tapatio) piss me off.

For most things they're interchangable afaic.  Especially if you're into vinegary shit like Tapatio. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuckers who don’t know the difference between Louisiana style hot sauces (Crystal is my choice) and Mexican style hot sauces (Valentina or Tapatio) piss me off.

Tabasco Chipotle is the answer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CoTex said:

Cholula brings nothing to the table and is only marginally better than any random run of the mill Louisiana hot sauce.

It tastes okay but it’s not hot at all. It’s better than nothing but I’ve never owned a bottle. If you think it’s a good hot sauce then you’re sort of a lightweight. It’s a tasty pepper sauce. It’s not hot. And I disagree that it’s better than other Louisiana hot sauces, like Louisiana brand hot sauce, or Crystal, or habanero Tabasco (which is hotter than those others, isn’t as hot as I’d like it to be, but tastes great and has some zing).

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why the fuck do you need 2 showers a day? 

Depends on the day/humidity in Swapland

• If I'm outside during the day and sweating, I will 100% shower in the afternoon.  But if I go out and do stuff in the evening, I'll also shower again before bed.
  • If I was out late and skipped my shower before bed, I may shower the next morning, but then shower again later that night before bed. 
Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Depends on the day/humidity in Swapland

• If I'm outside during the day and sweating, I will 100% shower in the afternoon.  But if I go out and do stuff in the evening, I'll also shower again before bed.
  • If I was out late and skipped my shower before bed, I may shower the next morning, but then shower again later that night before bed. 

I get that. Under certain circumstances, sure, 2 showers is fine. For those reasons you listed. I have always been a night time shower person. I have to be clean getting into bed. I work from home so I don't care to take one in the morning.

But in normal circumstances, 2 showers are not needed on a consistent basis.

I have also read schools of thought that we shower too much and strip our bodies or their natural oils it has to fight odor. I know in some cultures, they only shower a few times a week. Hell back in my grandpa's days growing up in the country, he only got one bath a week. Not sure which school of thought is correct when it comes to showers/bathing.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I get that. Under certain circumstances, sure, 2 showers is fine. For those reasons you listed. I have always been a night time shower person. I have to be clean getting into bed. I work from home so I don't care to take one in the morning.

But in normal circumstances, 2 showers are not needed on a consistent basis.

I have also read schools of thought that we shower too much and strip our bodies or their natural oils it has to fight odor. I know in some cultures, they only shower a few times a week. Hell back in my grandpa's days growing up in the country, he only got one bath a week. Not sure which school of thought is correct when it comes to showers/bathing.

Agree.  If you live in a mild climate, don't do anything but sit at a desk/couch all day, and aren't overweight then you probably can get by not everyday bathing.  I've never heard about it stripping odor fighting oils.  It absolutely does dry the ever living shit out of your skin/hair though.  People used to not shower/bathe daily because it wasn't easily accessible on a daily basis not because they were afraid of stripping odor fighting oils.  There is no doubt that 100 years ago that everyone stank despite having all these odor fighting oils on their body.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Agree.  If you live in a mild climate, don't do anything but sit at a desk/couch all day, and aren't overweight then you probably can get by not everyday bathing.  I've never heard about it stripping odor fighting oils.  It absolutely does dry the ever living shit out of your skin/hair though.  People used to not shower/bathe daily because it wasn't easily accessible on a daily basis not because they were afraid of stripping odor fighting oils.  There is no doubt that 100 years ago that everyone stank despite having all these odor fighting oils on their body.

I think I am thinking of stripping the natural oils in your hair when you wash it with shampoo/conditioner too much. And yes, the drying out of the skin when it is washed too much.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

It tastes okay but it’s not hot at all. It’s better than nothing but I’ve never owned a bottle. If you think it’s a good hot sauce then you’re sort of a lightweight. It’s a tasty pepper sauce. It’s not hot. And I disagree that it’s better than other Louisiana hot sauces, like Louisiana brand hot sauce, or Crystal, or habanero Tabasco (which is hotter than those others, isn’t as hot as I’d like it to be, but tastes great and has some zing).

Yep.  Cholula is just ok.  I was mega pissed off the other day when I went to a local gas station that actually cranks out some damn fine fried chicken.  Asked for hot sauce...Got Cholula.  Had to eat the chicken without extra deliciousness because Cholula sure as shit doesn't go on fried bird.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve never seen Top Gun and don’t care to see it or the sequel. The whole premise sounds dumb and cheesy. I get most of the references by now and still don’t care. All the hype and positive reviews just makes me care even less. I expect I’ll live my whole life without it, just can’t get myself to care enough to waste those hours.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’ve never seen Top Gun and don’t care to see it or the sequel. The whole premise sounds dumb and cheesy. I get most of the references by now and still don’t care. All the hype and positive reviews just makes me care even less. I expect I’ll live my whole life without it, just can’t get myself to care enough to waste those hours.

I saw Top Gun in the theater, twice, when it first came out. I thought it was AWESOME. But then over the years, seeing it on the small screen, it lost its luster. The blue screen shots of pilots in their cockpits looked kind of cheesy. And the whole story got to be pretty cheesy.

None of the previews I’ve seen for Top Gun 2 look like something I’d want to see. I’m not buying an aging Tom Cruise in that role. And the hype and promotion is so over the top. In my experience that’s a way that Hollywood tries to promote a bad movie. I’m sure there are some cool shots of fighter jets flying around. I’m also sure the story is totally formulaic and predictable. If I went to see it, it would mainly be to see Jennifer Connelly who is still hot.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Nugenix can’t even bottle up all of the testosterone in this scene... 

image.gif.a5584e6b6b2f0a91507e054af6220781.gif

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I saw Top Gun in the theater, twice, when it first came out. I thought it was AWESOME. But then over the years, seeing it on the small screen, it lost its luster. The blue screen shots of pilots in their cockpits looked kind of cheesy. And the whole story got to be pretty cheesy.

None of the previews I’ve seen for Top Gun 2 look like something I’d want to see. I’m not buying an aging Tom Cruise in that role. And the hype and promotion is so over the top. In my experience that’s a way that Hollywood tries to promote a bad movie. I’m sure there are some cool shots of fighter jets flying around. I’m also sure the story is totally formulaic and predictable. If I went to see it, it would mainly be to see Jennifer Connelly who is still hot.

Do we not all just turn it on when drunk, crank the 9.2.4 and skip to the plane scenes?

*no skipping of opening credits. 

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Ok comrade. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

(Me too)

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

I didn’t know we had a “commie Russians fanboi” thread.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

It's an overrated movie here but I actually want to rewatch it and maybe go see the new one. 

Top Gun is interesting because it's basically a veiled expression of homosexuality in a time where that wasn't a regular thing in movies and TV (despite like... Prince being a thing. Although I don't think Prince was gay). 

I don't think it's a great movie but it's certainly an interesting and culturally important one. There are a lot of movies like that and I tend to enjoy them more than they might be received critically (robocop probably a good example from around the same time).

Also I doubt your opinion is that unpopular, although it's unpopular on this board. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, StruggleBus said:

If you don't shower twice a day you're a dirty piece of shit and/or fat/lazy

I used to do that, stopped during Covid.

I felt it was drying my skin out but I loved the "wake up" in the morning and cleaning off the day's dirt/sweat at night.  Now I just shower at night.

Wife said I was either the cleanest person in the world or the dirtiest.

On 5/16/2022 at 3:23 PM, 'stache said:

Tattoo obsessions are just a way for boring people to feel edgy and cool. 

That's fact.  The more bizarre or manipulate a person's clothing or body mods are, the more likely they are to have the personality of a mailbox.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:16 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I get really dry skin in the winter. As long as I'm not sweating alot, I usually on shower ever other day then.

Of course, living in Texas, that's basically like 6 weeks. During the worst parts of the summer, I could totally see taking two showers a day pretty often. 

The way stache feels about Top Gun is also the way I feel about Top Gun. And Star Wars. And Indiana Jones. And Rocky. 

Whoa, slow down toughy. Name some movies you love so we can have a frame of reference. Honestly, I can understand (although I don’t agree) with all of those but Indiana Jones.

On 5/29/2022 at 10:01 AM, 'stache said:

Quoted just to post this gif2AF19513-E03D-4074-B785-929B0C4E40A1.gif.30ac51e7b38bf3d54800e691c2804437.gif.22da781774bbbe94ce1f3ae34ac4af7d.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Whoa, slow down toughy. Name some movies you love so we can have a frame of reference. Honestly, I can understand (although I don’t agree) with all of those but Indiana Jones.

Ha. I liked boxing as a kid but even then the action sequences in Rocky looked absurd to me. I think I maybe saw the first Star Wars because I remember liking R2D2 when I was maybe 6. The treasure hunter genre didn't do much for me, either. I liked B2 the future 1 and Ghostbusters 1 a lot in that era. I liked action movies in the cop or martial arts genres because I was too stupid to realize that Frank Dux winning the Kumite or that a 6'6 Putin propagandist Jewish guy with a ponytail practicing aikido were also absurdly fake things. 

Ha. I liked boxing as a kid but even then the action sequences in Rocky looked absurd to me. I think I maybe saw the first Star Wars because I remember liking R2D2 when I was maybe 6. The treasure hunter genre didn't do much for me, either. I liked B2 the future 1 and Ghostbusters 1 a lot in that era. I liked action movies in the cop or martial arts genres because I was too stupid to realize that Frank Dux winning the Kumite or that a 6'6 Putin propagandist Jewish guy with a ponytail practicing aikido were also absurdly fake things. 

How did you type all those words without mentioning the movies you actually like?
  • Hook 'Em 1