Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

Lots to catch up on here.

Miller’s Crossing is amazing, a masterpiece. For me, a single scene puts it behind Goodfellas.  The Tommy gun scene.  I can live with a thousand round burst as a stylized choice. But the cartoon death where the guy stays standing up firing into the chandelier is just that— a bit of cartoon action that yanks me out of a moody noir.

Topo Chico is the shit. It just tastes better and the cold glass bottle adds to the experience. 

Barbie is a great movie and if it would of explored more of Ken’s pursuit of identity / the question of what truly is modern masculinity (vs him just trying to just replicate ‘the patriarchy’) it would have been the best movie of 2023. They do kind of touch on it but it’s fleeting.

I enjoy watching it. My young daughters love it. I watch it a lot because of the later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think Doug gottleib has reasonable sports takes

I'm a big fan of Stephen A Smith. I mean, I don't tune in to his ridiculous morning shows but I respect him as a professional and think he's a good dude. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/28/2024 at 4:27 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Topo Chico is the shit. It just tastes better and the cold glass bottle adds to the experience. 

It's the best sparkling water. Either the glass bottle or plastic - it doesn't matter.

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm a big fan of Stephen A Smith. I mean, I don't tune in to his ridiculous morning shows but I respect him as a professional and think he's a good dude. 

You are wrong. He’s a schtick. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:09 AM, closetohumping said:

I think Doug gottleib has reasonable sports takes

Gottlieb is cool, except when OSU needs  basketball coach and he uses his radio show to lobby for the job, dividing the fan base between people who think people who want to coach should go out and fucking coach, and idiots who think he should be given the job because he’s an alum. The latter is much larger and vocal than should ever be expected.

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

Goddamn, this is definitely the right thread.

6 hours ago, nnm said:

You are wrong. He’s a schtick. 

I know he's a shtick. But that's his job. That's what ESPN pays him 8 figures to do.

Kind of a "hate the game not the player" situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I know he's a shtick. But that's his job. That's what ESPN pays him 8 figures to do.

Kind of a "hate the game not the player" situation. 

This is right. Anyone who burns any calories hating SAS (or Skip Bayles) are falling for the obvious three card monte game they are playing. 

Find them entertaining or ignore them, but raging against them means you fell for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...