Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And all that said, there are some musicals that I like. I wouldn't pay to go see Wicked or Les Mis but I would never turn down a ticket. But for each of those there are probably 10 others I'd make up an excuse for to get out of. 

Huge difference between "Yeah, that sounds cool, I'll go" and "OMFG!!! You have GOT TO SEE THIS SHOW. IT. IS. AMAZING!!!!".

Saw Hamilton.  It seemed to me like the vast majority of folks were just waiting for the first song to end so they could leap to their feet to give a standing ovation.  Say what you will, I actually thought it was pretty good and entertaining and I got my money's worth.  But at no time did I ever think it deserved a standing ovation.

Coffee sucks and people who can't get through the day without having their coffee in the morning can suck my dick.

Its annoying seeing these pussy bitches walking in with their big ass yeti cup full of coffee and drinking it all fucking day. Starbucks people are the worst. Buying a $5 drink multiple times a day? Just off yourself cunt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Coffee sucks and people who can't get through the day without having their coffee in the morning can suck my dick.

Its annoying seeing these pussy bitches walking in with their big ass yeti cup full of coffee and drinking it all fucking day. Starbucks people are the worst. Buying a $5 drink multiple times a day? Just off yourself cunt.

Yeah, you can fuck off lol. I’m worthless without coffee if I have to do anything productive at, or before 9am. But with that being said, it started from working the 6:00am to 3:00pm shift right out of college when I was working for our company’s call center. They provided free/unlimited coffee, and I got addicted real quick. 

And Starbucks is trash. Dunkin is great, and they have this place in AZ (and I’m assuming the rest of the west coast) called Dutch Bros that’s really good. Other than that, I’ll rarely pay for coffee. Even if it’s bitter, I just need that first cup to get me out of zombie mode. And for the satisfying morning shit, of course. 

Coffee smells like burnt dog hair and should be relegated to the break room only. Anyone drinking that shit in an office setting should be subjected to having their closest co-worker douse themselves in shitty perfume or cologne and make them smell it all day. It's the same level of inconsideration. 

• Like 1

You coffee haters are quite judgmental. I drink about 3-4 12oz cups a week. I can't drink it after 10am but I certainly don't talk shit about people who drink it all day. Who gives a shit? It's not my bag but some of you seem very aggy about stupid shit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Water. Sometimes nothing.

Coworker of mine has a cup of coffee, big red, pepsi, and a red bull at her desk that she drinks throughout the day. Oh and for lunch she brings in mountain dew from taco bell. Just blows my mind.

Kidney stones for that chick, man...

14 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Water. Sometimes nothing.

Coworker of mine has a cup of coffee, big red, pepsi, and a red bull at her desk that she drinks throughout the day. Oh and for lunch she brings in mountain dew from taco bell. Just blows my mind.

So a great big fat person?

11 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

this probably isn't super unpopular around here, but the existence of the play Hamilton and the enthusiasm people show for it (especially that "it's coming to Texas!") irritates me

and I say that as someone who owns more than one NPR t-shirt

On the occasions when I have to walk through the throngs of shitheads congregating outside the theater where Hamilton is playing in Chicago, I always try to fart in the crowd. 

I'm always disappointed in myself when the opportunity arises and I can't manage to muster one. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Whatever said:

You coffee haters are quite judgmental. I drink about 3-4 12oz cups a week. I can't drink it after 10am but I certainly don't talk shit about people who drink it all day. Who gives a shit? It's not my bag but some of you seem very aggy about stupid shit.

It's like you've never been to surly before. 

16 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Saw Hamilton.  It seemed to me like the vast majority of folks were just waiting for the first song to end so they could leap to their feet to give a standing ovation.  Say what you will, I actually thought it was pretty good and entertaining and I got my money's worth.  But at no time did I ever think it deserved a standing ovation.

This.   Good to really good, but not life changing or "OMG SOOOOO AMAZING!!!!"   

I enjoyed it and my family did too.  It also made me want to learn more about Hamilton and the history that it was covering as there were aspects that I was not aware of prior to the show.

You’re definitely in the right thread. I feel like the smell of fresh coffee in the morning is one of the more underrated smells. I love it.

One of the all-time great smell combos is that real-deal diner/cafe smell...fresh brewed coffee and frying bacon. Even when I was young and didn’t drink coffee, I thought that scent combo was magical.
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One of the all-time great smell combos is that real-deal diner/cafe smell...fresh brewed coffee and frying bacon. Even when I was young and didn’t drink coffee, I thought that scent combo was magical.

Freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked bread. 

Another is when habaneros are drying in the dehydrator and garlic is roasting in the oven. 

One of the things I enjoy the most about working at home is that whenever I take a break, I can tootle around in the garden for a bit. There's something I really enjoy, that I know for a fact is unpopular -- I love getting a steaming hot cup of coffee and heading outside during the hottest part of the day. Don't know why, but it just works for me, every bit as much as drinking a hot cup of coffee on a cold winter morning. Blazing sun, blazing hot coffee. It works.

14 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah, you can fuck off lol. I’m worthless without coffee if I have to do anything productive at, or before 9am. But with that being said, it started from working the 6:00am to 3:00pm shift right out of college when I was working for our company’s call center. They provided free/unlimited coffee, and I got addicted real quick. 

And Starbucks is trash. Dunkin is great, and they have this place in AZ (and I’m assuming the rest of the west coast) called Dutch Bros that’s really good. Other than that, I’ll rarely pay for coffee. Even if it’s bitter, I just need that first cup to get me out of zombie mode. And for the satisfying morning shit, of course. 

Dunkin coffee is overrated as fuck. I remember when it became available in stores and in k-cup everyone got all excited. Even in the northeast straight from the store it's just regular ass fast food restaurant coffee. And I get it's popular to shit on Starbucks, but it's not bad at all. It's a million times better than any fast food  joint, but way below a local shop. I'll have it if its in the hotel, or if its a small town with no local shop. And anyone who is complaining about the smell of coffee in general is probably a serial killer. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, 'stache said:

Dunkin coffee is overrated as fuck. I remember when it became available in stores and in k-cup everyone got all excited. Even in the northeast straight from the store it's just regular ass fast food restaurant coffee. And I get it's popular to shit on Starbucks, but it's not bad at all. It's a million times better than any fast food  joint, but way below a local shop. I'll have it if its in the hotel, or if its a small town with no local shop. And anyone who is complaining about the smell of coffee in general is probably a serial killer. 

Agree that Dunkin's store bought/K cup coffee is meh, at best.  But, damn if I don't fucking love their coffee from the donut shop tap.  Starbuck's is ass, my dude. 

Unless you’re a pro-athlete, a fighter pilot, an astronaut, a ninja, etc. I promise you your job is not remotely interesting or noteworthy. It’s an absolute beating to feign interest & listen to some analyst or salesperson tell you about their job at a social event. A damn shame that its become a go-to conversation starter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Unless you’re a pro-athlete, a fighter pilot, an astronaut, a ninja, etc. I promise you your job is not remotely interesting or noteworthy. It’s an absolute beating to feign interest & listen to some analyst or salesperson tell you about their job at a social event. A damn shame that its become a go-to conversation starter.

Every conversation starter. 

"So...what do you do?"

From now on my answer will be Professional ninja fighter pilot currently training for NASA.

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Exactly. Whenever I met new people in whatever capacity, I never ever ask them what they do for a living. I don't give a shit. Even if you are making serious money doing your job, I promise you it isn't interesting to others. People just ask that question out of habit and move on right after you tell them what you do.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

LOL.  Best friend is on the SWAT team out in Alabama.  Go out there all the time, spend time on the range.  The CQB house.  Etc.  Last year that asshat sends me a video link from the local news station of a standoff at some crappy house.  Suspected wanted fugitive.  As they're talking there are two blasts and flashes.  News anchor ducks and camera swings over.  Breach charges:  one set on the back of the house (distraction) and another in the front (entry point).  Turns out house was empty.  But still....

Me:  yeah, yeah...oh, yeah, well F you.  I'm building a model to illustrate the burden in costs when considering taking delivery service in house vs. outsourcing.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Best friend is on the SWAT team out in Alabama.  Go out there all the time, spend time on the range.  The CQB house.  Etc.  Last year that asshat sends me a video link from the local news station of a standoff at some crappy house. 

Well that narrows it down to .... everywhere.

• Like 3

We were in line at the Pirates of the Carib ride at DW one night and my wife struck up a conversation with the family right behind us.  Dad (Aggy) spent the next 30+ minutes telling me about his job at Blue Bell (before they started killing people).   I think the only thing I said all night was my name.  After that, he wouldn't shut up.   I wanted to end his life by the time we jumped on the ride.

• Like 1

When did that become a thing? Every conversation starts with this shit

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

I'd rather talk about what someone does for a living than what happened on TV last night or whatever.  or worse, their political views or religion.

Never realized it triggered folks that someone else might be employed...LOLz.  on this board, that contention, makes total sense.

I can't talk about my kids either, cause i did that all wrong too.  

i guess we're just left with the new Dora The Explorer movie.   Grand times these are...

Edited by slorch

I'd rather talk about what someone does for a living than what happened on TV last night or whatever.  or worse, their political views or religion.

Never realized it triggered folks that someone else might be employed...LOLz.  on this board, that contention, makes total sense.

I can't talk about my kids either, cause i did that all wrong too.  

i guess we're just left with the new Dora The Explorer movie.   Grand times these are...

Absolutely this. Sometimes people do interesting things for a living and you'd never know unless you asked. Also, even seemingly mundane jobs can be interesting if the person has a true passion for it.

I disagree with being interested in what people do. Most people don't like what they do. I'd rather ask what they are interested in. There will, of course, be the rare happy person who actually has a job they enjoy, and that's great, but the majority of your conversations will be much happier if you don't frame it that way.

Or, as the Buddhists would say, "Don't just do something, sit there!"

• Like 1