Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

17 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't believe this can be emphasized enough. The fact that they have our country's name on their uniform does not, for me, change the fact that they are playing pretty much the last sport on Earth I have any interest in watching. The political stuff? I don't give a rat's ass. The equal pay question? Well, I suppose in a vacuum, I'd argue that they ought to be paid equivalent to the amount of revenue they bring in, which is probably more than the men in this sport.

But that just brings me full circle to "why the fuck is ANYBODY watching this sport?" It's a stupid game, and even the most dominant performances and subtle and nuanced philosophical approaches to it are still boring as fuck. And this comes from somebody who thinks a 1-0 baseball game is exciting. I don't care about men's soccer, why would anybody think I'd care about women's soccer?

Soccer is like playing checkers, while American football is more like chess.

Australian Rules football is like crazy ants on meth.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, HouTex said:

Only addressing the equal pay issue, IMO, it makes at least some sense for equal pay in the major tennis tournaments.  I believe there is equal pay for ladies in those tournaments.  Those tournaments are run at the same time and the spectators attending those events usually attend both ladies' and men's matches on the same day.  Of course, if you only look at the TV ratings for the finals and maybe the semis, the men's matches will almost certainly blow away the ladies' matches.  Still, I think tennis folks were wise to equalize the pay in those tournaments.  For soccer?  No way do the women deserve equal pay.

nope, there should not be equal pay for women in any of the tennis tournaments. when the women play as many games as the men, then yes equal pay. men have to win 3 out of 5 sets, women only have to win 2 out of 3 sets. a men's match will tend to last longer than a woman's match. more work, more pay. 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, BHMCruiser said:

I don't give a fuck what people are interested in. That sounds like a recipe to listening to some dildo talk about Ireland or some shit for an hour. I'd much rather find out what they do. If they do something, and they don't like what they do, then you know everything you need to know about them, and don't have to hear about how the Blarney Stone is actually super hard to reach or whatever.

That does sound interesting.  Someday I plan to visit Ireland.

14 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Well, only if you're sitting on your ass and digging the same ditches as the ditch diggers.

It's the same activity, if they want more be paid the same, they need to perform the same amount of time.

I have no problems with an actress getting the same amount as an actor for making a movie

Women models make more than males.  A lot more

7 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Disable vets need to pay toll road fees just like everyone else.

There's nothing about serving your country/becoming disabled that entitles one to get free toll roads. 

I don't understand how tolls and disabled vet status relate. It seems like a trivial benefit for what they've given up. And it sounds like its rife with fraud. I'd be fine, however, exempting disabled vets from income taxes for the rest of their lives. I think its good to provide benefits in recognition of their sacrifice, but  make it meaningful. Hell, I'd support a substantial lifetime income to disabled vets (if that's not already happening, I wouldn't know..

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don't understand how tolls and disabled vet status relate. It seems like a trivial benefit for what they've given up. And it sounds like its rife with fraud. I'd be fine, however, exempting disabled vets from income taxes for the rest of their lives. I think its good to provide benefits in recognition of their sacrifice, but  make it meaningful. Hell, I'd support a substantial lifetime income to disabled vets (if that's not already happening, I wouldn't know..

spacer.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, General Specific said:

Or one could also say that’s why they signed up, you know, for the perks and or benefits, like the rest of us and our jobs/professions!

Yeah, anyone serving in the military has amazing benefits that are getting only increasingly better as the middle class dissipates (and for the record I think it's a fair exchange - let them have a toll road discount ffs). I don't think we need to pander to vets. No one's getting drafted or killing Franz anymore. 

Edited by ztejas

• 1 month later...

With the absolute prevalence of visible tattoos on people now, I know it's unpopular opinion (visible tattoos have gone mainstream and corporate and probably half you guys have them) I guess we are just seeing Gen-Z and Millennial disrupt what was once a pretty radical and extreme exercise. I was at Disney World and like 80% of the patrons had tattoos and I started thinking, once upon a time those with tattoos were the 1% bikers or felons or people with an edge. Now you have Becky from HR and Stan from the mid-size law firm and Larry from church with their interpretation of what is cool ink. I don't see management consultants or IB's with tattoos still, so I guess there are still some areas where it's shamed, but it's gotten so common apparently that for the true edgy people, they have to get hand and face tattoos. Sheesh.

That said, the unpopular opinion here is that for my children I think getting a tattoo is trashy and unbecoming and I wouldn't be very pleased if they decided to get one when they moved out of my house. It's great if others want to do it, but for my children I want them to think differently.

Which of course means they will be getting face tats and scrotum tats and everything else because isn't that how life usually is?

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I don't like anal sex.  Never liked it with different women I've tried with, can't stand it on pr0n.

/insert gay joke.

I don't see you bitching about the men you've tried it with.  (obligatory). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

With the absolute prevalence of visible tattoos on people now, I know it's unpopular opinion (visible tattoos have gone mainstream and corporate and probably half you guys have them) I guess we are just seeing Gen-Z and Millennial disrupt what was once a pretty radical and extreme exercise. I was at Disney World and like 80% of the patrons had tattoos and I started thinking, once upon a time those with tattoos were the 1% bikers or felons or people with an edge. Now you have Becky from HR and Stan from the mid-size law firm and Larry from church with their interpretation of what is cool ink. I don't see management consultants or IB's with tattoos still, so I guess there are still some areas where it's shamed, but it's gotten so common apparently that for the true edgy people, they have to get hand and face tattoos. Sheesh.

That said, the unpopular opinion here is that for my children I think getting a tattoo is trashy and unbecoming and I wouldn't be very pleased if they decided to get one when they moved out of my house. It's great if others want to do it, but for my children I want them to think differently.

Which of course means they will be getting face tats and scrotum tats and everything else because isn't that how life usually is?

C'mon man.  People should be able to do to their bodies as they want.  It's a free country. 

That includes making poor choices.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah, anyone serving in the military has amazing benefits that are getting only increasingly better as the middle class dissipates (and for the record I think it's a fair exchange - let them have a toll road discount ffs). I don't think we need to pander to vets. No one's getting drafted or killing Franz anymore. 

Vets don't want pandering even more than you don't. Trust me.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Got my hand tat two years ago.  It’s my only one.  Was my retirement gift to myself. Still proud of it. 

Didn’t realize I was edgy. Just don’t particularly give a fuck what people think. Personal choice and all that...

• Like 2

Yes, I guess I do. Philosophically speaking, isn't that all parents, though variablized for whatever their thoughts and values are?

I am heavily tattooed and prefer that if my daughters ever get tattooed, that they do it at say 25 rather than 18-19. And that they sit on whatever idea they have for one for 6 months and if they still want it, go for it (and go to the best artist they can find, not the most affordable). But I don’t care one way or the other if they get tattooed. It is their lives and their bodies.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Rougarou said:

While I had a few nights when I was one drunken friend away from getting a tattoo, as I have gotten older I have come to the following realization about tattoo's which is what I share with my kids.

Son, at different times in my youth I thought certain clothes were cool and I really wanted to own and wear them.  Getting a tattoo is like deciding that you are going to wear a bright orange OP T-shirt, with a Gray Members only jacket and red parachute pants... and then committing to wear that outfit every day for the rest of your life.   So think long, hard and sober before you make that commitment.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Tattoos have been around waaaay before your "edgy" bikers or whatever else had them. Same as piercings. People don't get tattoos to look "edgy". It's a form of art they want on your body. If you think tattoos make someone edgy, then you seem pretty sheltered and a weird outlook.

And yes, face tats have been around waaaay before these people you are naming. Thousands of years ago cultured and tribes got tattoos all over their body, including their face and hands and it was the norm. They weren't trying to portray some image or look "hard" and "intimidating".