Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Tattoos have been around waaaay before your "edgy" bikers or whatever else had them. Same as piercings. People don't get tattoos to look "edgy". It's a form of art they want on your body. If you think tattoos make someone edgy, then you seem pretty sheltered and a weird outlook.

And yes, face tats have been around waaaay before these people you are naming. Thousands of years ago cultured and tribes got tattoos all over their body, including their face and hands and it was the norm. They weren't trying to portray some image or look "hard" and "intimidating". 

okay. i stand corrected because I forgot about the National Geographic magazines I used to thumb threw at the dentist office.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Tattoos have been around waaaay before your "edgy" bikers or whatever else had them. Same as piercings. People don't get tattoos to look "edgy". It's a form of art they want on your body. If you think tattoos make someone edgy, then you seem pretty sheltered and a weird outlook.

And yes, face tats have been around waaaay before these people you are naming. Thousands of years ago cultured and tribes got tattoos all over their body, including their face and hands and it was the norm. They weren't trying to portray some image or look "hard" and "intimidating". 

Yes and then Westerners showed up, killed them, and took their land.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That’s exactly what they were trying to do.   It was like war paint to certain tribes. To others it was like wearing their name on their face.  

3 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Tattoos. Yes, you are expressing yourself. Fine. My first impression is.... I pretty much think you’re a selfish twat. However, you can prove otherwise by being awesome to be around by not boring me with stories about your tats.

But still, thats what i think upfront. 

I never really thought of this, but I kind of feel the same way re first impressions. If you have a ton of visible tattoos, my first impression is that you are a poser who wants to be tough, or cool, or edgy. I'll talk with you though and can be convinced you're not what I initially thought. But first impressions matter sometimes. Also, if you are a girl with a tattoo on your foot or an elaborate tramp stamp that you make sure is visible, I will believe that you smoked in high school and banged a whole bunch of dudes. I'll also peg the odds of you having participated in a gang bang or had a train run on you at over 50%. I'm willing to talk with you and be your friend if my first impression is off, but I will still be pretty sure that my train prediction is correct. 

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I don't have any problems, first impression or otherwise, if you have a few understated tattoos, even if there is some visibile. I'm talking about the full sleeve, neck, or full leg tatoo people. 

I’m replying not because I am offended by any of this, because the fact is, if I cared what people thought, I wouldn’t have gotten them. But I guess I am posting to just give a different angle on the topic.

I work for a major oil company, in their headquarters and have two degrees from UT. So right off, I don’t fit the mold I think most people think of when they think of a heavily tattooed person. None of my tattoos are currently visible, even with a short sleeve shirt. However, I would estimate that 35-40% of my body is tattooed (entire back, my chest, ribs from armpits to hips, both thighs, both calves).

But unless I am in shorts, no one knows when they see me. They just see that I am usually the first one in the office and try to do my work to the best of my ability.

Sure, first impressions count and I do have preconceived notions about tattooed people as well. Just like folks who aren’t racist still have prejudices and stereotypes.

I think about how my dad’s attitude over the last 25 years has changed since my first tattoo. I was 18, a senior in high school when I got my first one. He was livid. He is not a big man, but I thought he was going to kill me. And he had a right to be mad, I still lived under his roof and I didn’t ask him. Over time he eased up until one day, several years later, he said to me that he didn’t care about the tattoos at all. He told me that one of his colleagues who had great respect for had some tattoos that until recently my father didn’t know about. He realized that it didn’t make a shit. None whatsoever as to what kind of person he was. Since then he was always like “oh, is that a new one? Looks cool!”

On 8/26/2019 at 2:20 PM, ABSR said:

While I had a few nights when I was one drunken friend away from getting a tattoo, as I have gotten older I have come to the following realization about tattoo's which is what I share with my kids.

Son, at different times in my youth I thought certain clothes were cool and I really wanted to own and wear them.  Getting a tattoo is like deciding that you are going to wear a bright orange OP T-shirt, with a Gray Members only jacket and red parachute pants... and then committing to wear that outfit every day for the rest of your life.   So think long, hard and sober before you make that commitment.

This is exact conversation my kids and I have. “Think long and hard about what you permanently put on your body as tastes and interests change”

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m replying not because I am offended by any of this, because the fact is, if I cared what people thought, I wouldn’t have gotten them. But I guess I am posting to just give a different angle on the topic.

I work for a major oil company, in their headquarters and have two degrees from UT. So right off, I don’t fit the mold I think most people think of when they think of a heavily tattooed person. None of my tattoos are currently visible, even with a short sleeve shirt. However, I would estimate that 35-40% of my body is tattooed (entire back, my chest, ribs from armpits to hips, both thighs, both calves).

But unless I am in shorts, no one knows when they see me. They just see that I am usually the first one in the office and try to do my work to the best of my ability.

Sure, first impressions count and I do have preconceived notions about tattooed people as well. Just like folks who aren’t racist still have prejudices and stereotypes.

I think about how my dad’s attitude over the last 25 years has changed since my first tattoo. I was 18, a senior in high school when I got my first one. He was livid. He is not a big man, but I thought he was going to kill me. And he had a right to be mad, I still lived under his roof and I didn’t ask him. Over time he eased up until one day, several years later, he said to me that he didn’t care about the tattoos at all. He told me that one of his colleagues who had great respect for had some tattoos that until recently my father didn’t know about. He realized that it didn’t make a shit. None whatsoever as to what kind of person he was. Since then he was always like “oh, is that a new one? Looks cool!”

Here's a real unpopular opinion if only for the total hypocrisy.  I know I'm a complete hypocrite,  but I really don't give a shit about men covered in tattoos. You do you.  I'm disappointed when I see an otherwise beautiful woman covered in ink.  It's a double standard, but it is what it is.  I see tattoos as masculine and trashy on women.

• Like 3

I’m curious to know the average age of the people that have these opinions on tattoos. Seems like 80% or more of the people you meet under the age of 30 are going to have at least one extremely visible tattoo. I don’t have any tattoos, but if you were going to get a tattoo, wouldn’t you want it to be for everyone to see? Especially if it’s a good tattoo. What’s the point of getting a tattoo that only you and your partner would see?

I’m curious to know the average age of the people that have these opinions on tattoos. Seems like 80% or more of the people you meet under the age of 30 are going to have at least one extremely visible tattoo. I don’t have any tattoos, but if you were going to get a tattoo, wouldn’t you want it to be for everyone to see? Especially if it’s a good tattoo. What’s the point of getting a tattoo that only you and your partner would see?

I can’t answer this for everyone, but for me, my tattoos are mostly for me, myself and I. I like them. I like the art, the rite of passage and the process. On the weekends when I am in shorts, people can see the ones on my legs. I get a lot of compliments on them. It’s usually kind of weird because they are part of me and I forget they are there. When at the beach or lake, people can see most of my tattoos. But they aren’t for them.

And bodies eventually get old and wrinkled and saggy. 

This one I always find funny. First, when we are 80 and wrinkled and saggy, we are all gonna look like shit regardless if we have tattoos or not. Second, making it that long gives one the ultimate privilege of having the “I don’t give a fuck what you think” attitude.

Personally, when I see old vets with their service branch tattoos that have lost definition, I am always interested to know their story. It’s probably a lot more interesting than some country club guy.

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Do you walk around with your penis hanging out?

On 7/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, 'stache said:

I don't understand how tolls and disabled vet status relate. It seems like a trivial benefit for what they've given up. And it sounds like its rife with fraud. I'd be fine, however, exempting disabled vets from income taxes for the rest of their lives. I think its good to provide benefits in recognition of their sacrifice, but  make it meaningful. Hell, I'd support a substantial lifetime income to disabled vets (if that's not already happening, I wouldn't know..

Yeah, I'm replying to this pretty late, but...

I'm a vet.  I served just shy of 11 years when I decided it was time to hang it up.  When I was getting out, there were quite a few people that asked me how much disability I was going to get.  Holy shit, there's nothing seriously wrong with me.  Yeah, my knees hurt, my back hurts, my hearing is shitty, but nothing for which I see as needing to suckle on the gubmint's teat for the rest of my life. 

Yes, there are legitimately disabled veterans and they need our support.  However, there are also plenty of vets with disabled plates that in no way deserve or need them.  I know them, I am friends with them, but holy shit there are way too many of them getting benefits that they simply don't need.  But it's not popular to share that opinion.

Hell, I know a guy that was a pogue in the Army and he constantly talks about his PTSD.  What I want to ask is, "Holy shit, dude, what happened? Did you run out of coffee working in the TOC?"  He saw nothing more than I did, but you'd think that he was captured by the Taliban or some shit.  Yeah, he's getting disability for it.

May be too CR for this thread, but it’s for sure unpopular so here it goes.

They opioid epidemic is terrible (I lost a friend to an OD 10 years ago), but if you’re addicted to opioids or anything else, it’s largely your own fault. Not a Mexican cartel, not a drug company, it’s yours. I don’t recall the sufferers of the crack epidemic getting this much attention or sympathy. I can’t imagine why...

• Like 2

May be too CR for this thread, but it’s for sure unpopular so here it goes.

They opioid epidemic is terrible (I lost a friend to an OD 10 years ago), but if you’re addicted to opioids or anything else, it’s largely your own fault. Not a Mexican cartel, not a drug company, it’s yours. I don’t recall the sufferers of the crack epidemic getting this much attention or sympathy. I can’t imagine why...

Those people were black that were effected by crack and that epidemic was bolstered by the US Government. This epidemic is affecting white folks. So it’s important.

39 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Those people were black that were effected by crack and that epidemic was bolstered by the US Government. This epidemic is affecting white folks. So it’s important.

I'm I'm sure all the lawyers/DA's suing the drug companies will make sure all of the money goes to helping those effected. 

Yeah, I'm replying to this pretty late, but...
I'm a vet.  I served just shy of 11 years when I decided it was time to hang it up.  When I was getting out, there were quite a few people that asked me how much disability I was going to get.  Holy shit, there's nothing seriously wrong with me.  Yeah, my knees hurt, my back hurts, my hearing is shitty, but nothing for which I see as needing to suckle on the gubmint's teat for the rest of my life. 
Yes, there are legitimately disabled veterans and they need our support.  However, there are also plenty of vets with disabled plates that in no way deserve or need them.  I know them, I am friends with them, but holy shit there are way too many of them getting benefits that they simply don't need.  But it's not popular to share that opinion.
Hell, I know a guy that was a pogue in the Army and he constantly talks about his PTSD.  What I want to ask is, "Holy shit, dude, what happened? Did you run out of coffee working in the TOC?"  He saw nothing more than I did, but you'd think that he was captured by the Taliban or some shit.  Yeah, he's getting disability for it.

I have a college bud that was in administration for the Army and went overseas once. Never saw any combat, blood, bullets or anything. He openly talks about getting disability for his PTSD.

Disability abuse cases are hardly limited to the military.

When you have a society of victims who are taught to  suckle at the teat of...welp.   I'll stop there.

Then again I have a very close friend who was an Army Mortar-man who fought in the 2nd battle of Fallujah( 2004) who still has pretty damned severe PTSD and didn't get disability until about 7-8 years after he got out.  The shit he thought he could handle became stuff he needed help with.  IMHO, that's what the programs are for.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Back to the tattoo topic.  Today it is more rebellious and edgy to not get a tattoo and more trendoidy to get one or nineteen.

I do kind of feel like my short haircut, clean shave, and lack of tattoos and piercings makes me stand out just a little bit in todays world.

And I’m a pretty liberal dude to boot. But I know a couple conservatives with beards, long hair, arm sleeves, etc. They’re big time Christians too. Bizarro world. 

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The Chicken Fried Steak at Mary's in Strawn is terribly overrated.

Chicken fried steak anywhere in the world is terribly overrated. It’s fine. If my grandma cooks it I’m going to eat it. But I don’t see a scenario where I’d ever order it or make it myself. 

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I do kind of feel like my short haircut, clean shave, and lack of tattoos and piercings makes me stand out just a little bit in todays world.

And I’m a pretty liberal dude to boot. But I know a couple conservatives with beards, long hair, arm sleeves, etc. They’re big time Christians too. Bizarro world. 

It's hip to be square.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

While that might unfortunately be a contributing factor, many people have gotten hooked on and ODed on opiates legally. Crack was never and isn't a legal drug, and was never manufactured by multi billion dollar pharmaceutical companies and then handed out by doctors.