Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 8/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Those people were black that were effected by crack and that epidemic was bolstered by the US Government. This epidemic is affecting white folks. So it’s important.

yeah I never heard a word about the crack epidemic in the 80s and early 90s, nary a word I tells ya, it was totally unimportant

I’m 31, a CPA for a small oil and gas company in Houston. Probably the one person you’d never think would have a tattoo. Got one on my inner right bicep about 3 months ago. I got Roman numerals of 316 tattooed to remind myself of how far I’ve gone with weight loss and to remind myself that I can do anything I set my mind to. I’ve lost 125 pounds and I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone thinks.

It can easily be covered up if I need to be in a business meeting because I know old folks in oil and gas can be very first impression oriented. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I’m 31, a CPA for a small oil and gas company in Houston. Probably the one person you’d never think would have a tattoo. Got one on my inner right bicep about 3 months ago. I got Roman numerals of 316 tattooed to remind myself of how far I’ve gone with weight loss and to remind myself that I can do anything I set my mind to. I’ve lost 125 pounds and I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone thinks.

It can easily be covered up if I need to be in a business meeting because I know old folks in oil and gas can be very first impression oriented. 

You’re 31 and you aren’t fat. With those facts alone, I would’ve put the betting odds of you having a visible tattoo at about -100, regardless of what your profession is lol. That’s how common it is, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Congrats on the weight loss, quite impressive. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:17 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m curious to know the average age of the people that have these opinions on tattoos. Seems like 80% or more of the people you meet under the age of 30 are going to have at least one extremely visible tattoo. I don’t have any tattoos, but if you were going to get a tattoo, wouldn’t you want it to be for everyone to see? Especially if it’s a good tattoo. What’s the point of getting a tattoo that only you and your partner would see?

DGAF, as long as they are tasteful/ not obscene.

I do business with people with a shit-ton of ink.  Doesn't matter.  One of my best employees has major ink and gets more all the time.  DGAF.  Just deliver results...

To be fair, my employer has changed its stance through the years. Used to be "no visible tattoos allowed"  now it's "keep it classy," so to speak.  No naked ladies riding dragons and whatnot.

• Like 2

commemoration ink, I get that.  And other than some crazy ass face or hand tattoos, I’ve never cared one way or their other about someone’s ink.  My father shipmates had some crazy ink and stories to boot after four years in Morocco.  

What I’ve never understood about tattoos is why most inked people Think that the artwork makes them  interesting or creative or traveled or accomplished.    If it’s solely for you then Godspeed     But if we’re all honest it seems like some of it is meant to broadcast something to the world  .   And I guess that’s where I get confused    

I’ve always thought that what you say and more importantly what you do that defines you.    And when you do those things well you don’t have to commemorate it with a permanent photograph.    But we are species of shortcuts  And some women look absolutely gorgeous with the proper ink

Edited by Lobo

What I’ve never understood about tattoos is why most inked people Think that the artwork makes them  interesting or creative or traveled or accomplished.

I don’t think this for myself and don’t know anyone that has a serious amount of tattoos that thinks this way. Maybe the former frat boy in middle management that got that sweet dolphin tattoo on his ankle during spring break 1998 in Port A thinks this way?

Makes sense.  I guess I was referring more to the ink that the person can't see.  Like if it's on your back or back of thigh or shoulder or tramp stamp, who is that for then?  If it's still for the person it's on, how much time does that person spend in a room with two mirrors?  Good way to start the day I guess

Makes sense.  I guess I was referring more to the ink that the person can't see.  Like if it's on your back or back of thigh or shoulder or tramp stamp, who is that for then?  If it's still for the person it's on, how much time does that person spend in a room with two mirrors?  Good way to start the day I guess

My living room looks like the end of Conan the Destroyer.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I think we all know who the tramp stamps are for. 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:24 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

The only names you should ever, ever, ever get tattooed on you is your children (or perhaps a parent’s name). Ever.

I was in the Navy with some dumbass that got his girlfriend's name put in a ribbon over a heart tattoo. Of course they broke up. He had the tattoo fixed somewhat, he had her name incorporated into a new banner that said "You And Me". The way they did it wasn't perfect but wasn't bad and forever after he has a tat that he can show a chick without catching flack. "Look babe, right here - 'You And Me'. That's permanent sweetie, just like you and me. Now get me another cold beer"

• Like 1

I think I said this before on the old board, but here goes:

I don't give a shit what you were doing on 9/11. 99.9999% of the country experienced it the same way, by watching it on tv, in no danger whatsoever. The annual FB posts and whatnot are basically just a competition to see who can act the most solemn.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I don't give a shit what you were doing on 9/11. 99.9999% of the country experienced it the same way, by watching it on tv, in no danger whatsoever. The annual FB posts and whatnot are basically just a competition to see who can act the most solemn.

I was alive in on 9/11 so that hits close to home.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:02 PM, Storm the Field said:

I hate to agree with this, but I do. And I don't consider myself too jaded of a person, but this topic gets to me. I also believe that 3,000 dead is a tragedy, but pales in comparison to other acts of war and even everyday life. Our bombings on Japan killed over 200,000 people. Just think about that in your country's history. More than 3,000 people die every day from car accidents, and I consider those to be as horrific as being bombed. Just think about being literally crushed to death by metal and plastic, and many people don't die immediately in car wrecks, they suffer tremendously.  The stats I've seen show that 9 million people starve to death every year, including 3 million children, mostly in third-world countries. I have genuine sympathy and anguish over the thought of people suffering and dying. I hate the idea of elevating 3,000 deaths from 18 years ago as any more significant than the other deaths every day that weigh on my mind. I'm fine with solemn remembrance every year but every year it seems more and more over-the-top, especially the faux patriotism. Just how I feel about it every year.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You hate Take The Money and Run?  

There are those that clap after the first lyrical salvo.  And the rest of us who punch those folks.  But we all kiss and make up when we agree a detective down in Texas does not rhyme with what the facts is.