Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Middle seat on the airplane does not get both arm rests.

I want the window seat. I want to have a few drinks before takeoff then lean my head on a pillow against the window/fuselage and sleep through most of the flight. I get to control the window shade. Middle seat is welcome to the arm rest. 

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I want the window seat. I want to have a few drinks before takeoff then lean my head on a pillow against the window/fuselage and sleep through most of the flight. I get to control the window shade. Middle seat is welcome to the arm rest. 

I'm an aisle seat guy. If middle seat takes both arm rests then I have to shift my weight to the aisle arm rest. Very uncomfortable and gets me hit in the face a lot 

21 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm an aisle seat guy. If middle seat takes both arm rests then I have to shift my weight to the aisle arm rest. Very uncomfortable and gets me hit in the face a lot 

So that's how it is. You're an aisle seat guy so you think the aisle seat deserves two arm rests. Something tells me you probably think you deserve both arm rests wherever you sit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So that's how it is. You're an aisle seat guy so you think the aisle seat deserves two arm rests. Something tells me you probably think you deserve both arm rests wherever you sit. 

All I want is a place to put my elbow. I don't need the entire arm rest to do that. Is it too much to ask that you share a small portion of the arm rest? I don't think that's unreasonable

30 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

All I want is a place to put my elbow. I don't need the entire arm rest to do that. Is it too much to ask that you share a small portion of the arm rest? I don't think that's unreasonable

I suspect the real problem is that your face is apparently too fat to fit into an aisle seat without recurring trauma. 

• Like 2

When you're flying SW, look for the big fat guy or the 6'7 guy flying alone near the front of the line. Get behind that guy in line (trust me it doesn't matter what your boarding group number is, the gate chick doesn't care). When that guy grabs an aisle seat, grab the window seat with him. If there is one single empty seat on that plane by the time it boards, it will be the one between you two. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Fuck Michigan, but that crew was the worst I've seen in a while.

That's part of what I'm saying. That crew, the officiating in that game? It didn't even stand out to me. It was just run of the mill "what the fuck?" officiating, the kind you see in about a quarter of the games nowadays.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:57 PM, NorthLoop said:

When you're flying SW, look for the big fat guy or the 6'7 guy flying alone near the front of the line. Get behind that guy in line (trust me it doesn't matter what your boarding group number is, the gate chick doesn't care). When that guy grabs an aisle seat, grab the window seat with him. If there is one single empty seat on that plane by the time it boards, it will be the one between you two. 

Terrible game theory! You are rolling the dice, big time, with that maneuver. You are betting the chance that you MIGHT be more comfortable against the CERTAINTY that you will be unbelievably uncomfortable if the flight is full, or if people are stupid (and you never win if you bet on the average person to do something not stupid). 

Your approach is facially attractive (unlike your mom), but in actually is likely to result in extreme discomfort (like your mom). 

The real way to play this out is to stand next to a hot, petite girl and sit next to her. At a minimum you will be comfortable and then go from there.

• Like 2

I guess Prohibition taught you nothing?

I mean weed is definitely safer than booze, but illegal alcohol is a horrible idea that has proven unworkable and far worse for society than legal alcohol.

It taught me plenty. I was merely speaking from an unpopular opinion stance (and health). I think most everything should be legal.
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, El Diablo said:

I like the smell of tobacco and don't mind getting the occasional whiff of someone smoking.

My wife hates, hates, hates tobacco. I used to smoke a pipe (twenty years ago now), and it drove her nuts. However, there's one exception.

She loves it when we're out somewhere and she smells Marlboro cigarettes. Reminds her of the bowling alley in Snyder, Texas, from when she was a kid. Only time her family had any sort of fun (the original "No dancin' in Anson" kind of family) was eating out at the bowling alley, where all the West Texas oil hands and cowboys would drink the only beer allowed in town, and smoke Marlboro cigarettes while doing it.

Weirdest damned thing, really, but it buys me a few minutes peace any time I feel like eating in a real roadside dive.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:58 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I guess Prohibition taught you nothing?

I mean weed is definitely safer than booze, but illegal alcohol is a horrible idea that has proven unworkable and far worse for society than legal alcohol.

Well, it did bring us NASCAR.  But, I hate NASCAR so there’s that.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

My wife hates, hates, hates tobacco. I used to smoke a pipe (twenty years ago now), and it drove her nuts. However, there's one exception.

She loves it when we're out somewhere and she smells Marlboro cigarettes. Reminds her of the bowling alley in Snyder, Texas, from when she was a kid. Only time her family had any sort of fun (the original "No dancin' in Anson" kind of family) was eating out at the bowling alley, where all the West Texas oil hands and cowboys would drink the only beer allowed in town, and smoke Marlboro cigarettes while doing it.

Weirdest damned thing, really, but it buys me a few minutes peace any time I feel like eating in a real roadside dive.

You need to take a trip to a tobacco warehouse during harvest season. Probably a bit late in the year already but watching an auction, the smell of fresh cured leaf on a cool fall morning - it's a different sort of experience. Sight, sound AND smell.

• Like 1

Just now, Atxracer said:

Well, it did bring us NASCAR.  But, I hate NASCAR so there’s that.  

I'm curious whether illegal booze was actually any worse for society than the legal kind has been. Both have their extreme deleterious effects, it's just that the illegal kind has a sexier downside.

Of course, the reality is, oxygen is corrosive, sex can cause cancer, and if you're too happy, you're liable to get locked up, so it's as foolish as ever to go looking for Utopia.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

You need to take a trip to a tobacco warehouse during harvest season. Probably a bit late in the year already but watching an auction, the smell of fresh cured leaf on a cool fall morning - it's a different sort of experience. Sight, sound AND smell.

I'm in the right part of the country for it. That and NASCAR both -- it's kinda funny, I just recently went to Mt. Ayr (it's a homestead founded in the late 18th / early 19th centuries), and the grounds look like something right out of a Jane Austen novel -- real date night kinda stuff, especially walking right down the path to the Eno River, through some picnic grounds that would make the English nobility jealous... but you've gotta get your timing right, because if you go at the wrong time, well, the very first ever NASCAR track is just a few blocks away on the other side of the river, and can kind of ruin the mood.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm in the right part of the country for it. That and NASCAR both -- it's kinda funny, I just recently went to Mt. Ayr (it's a homestead founded in the late 18th / early 19th centuries), and the grounds look like something right out of a Jane Austen novel -- real date night kinda stuff, especially walking right down the path to the Eno River, through some picnic grounds that would make the English nobility jealous... but you've gotta get your timing right, because if you go at the wrong time, well, the very first ever NASCAR track is just a few blocks away on the other side of the river, and can kind of ruin the mood.

I once got ticketed for fishing without a license on the Eno. 'Twas springtime and this Texan lads thoughts turned to spawning. Bass that is. I'd been crossing the river everyday and had all I could stand of the temptation. Went to an Ace Hardware store and bought a cheap Zebco combo and a spinner bait. Parked on the side of the road and hiked a little ways in. Wasn't 15 minutes and smoky the bear came slipping out of the woods on me. I think the Texas tags on the car probably caught his attention. It's a beautiful, picturesque part of the world. The northern and western parts of the state are chock full of little gems, hidden on the back roads. Speaking of gems, also a great state if you're into rocks and minerals. IIRC there was a gold nugget found on either the New or Eno years back that was pretty good sized. I knew guys who did a little panning.

• Like 1