Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 10/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, El Diablo said:

I like the smell of tobacco and don't mind getting the occasional whiff of someone smoking.

It's really not a big deal at all outdoors.  People who freak out at people smoking outside like they're going to get cancer and die if they whiff a little second hand smoke make me laugh.  I wouldn't say I like it, but it doesn't bother me the least in bars either.  

On the other hand, when you're in an elevator or near someone who has that stale ashtray smell baked into their clothes and hair.....that's a turnoff. 

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

On the other hand, when you're in an elevator or near someone who has that stale ashtray smell baked into their clothes and hair.....that's a turnoff. 

I wish that someone would invent an elevator mounted sensor that provides the kind of awkward-but-important social feedback that most people only wish they could give to people with odor problems. 

Make some kind of sensor that can identify the threshold between the "eh, this person clearly smokes cigarettes, but whatever" level of stench, and the "dude, you need to change your fucking habits and your hygiene because whatever you're doing, you still smell like a 1970s bowling alley" and install them in elevators. Provide feedback to stinklords as needed. Hell, if you don't want to hurt people's feelings, then configure it to only provide feedback when alone in the elevator. Or if you really want to get the point across, rig it so that the elevator won't run with a stinklord on board. 

And do the same thing for the swarthy men and insecure women who go overboard on scented lotions, aftershave, cologne, perfume, etc. Fuck those people in the goatass. 

And for anyone who is determined to be wearing Axe Body Spray, the sensor should also be connected to a trapdoor in the elevator so that these people can be discreetly dropped down the shaft and never seen or smelled again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 10:57 PM, NorthLoop said:

When you're flying SW, look for the big fat guy or the 6'7 guy flying alone near the front of the line. Get behind that guy in line (trust me it doesn't matter what your boarding group number is, the gate chick doesn't care). When that guy grabs an aisle seat, grab the window seat with him. If there is one single empty seat on that plane by the time it boards, it will be the one between you two. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid I used to make fun of creed and specifically the song “higher” (just like everyone else, because it was the popular thing to do).  But listening to it again as I’ve gotten older and reading along with the lyrics, it’s a great fucking song. Like, not a good song. A great song. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

When I was a kid I used to make fun of creed and specifically the song “higher” (just like everyone else, because it was the popular thing to do).  But listening to it again as I’ve gotten older and reading along with the lyrics, it’s a great fucking song. Like, not a good song. A great song. 

Jesus titty-fucking christ.
  • Like 2

"Can you take me higher. To a place where linemen ski"
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Whatever said:
On 11/2/2019 at 3:01 PM, youdunnf said:

"Can you take me higher. To a place where linemen ski"

glencampbell.jpg

Edited by lateshow
internet is hard

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Agreed.  W/out the Donger and Farmer Ted, that movie is horribad. 

I had to Google it. Weird, given that I was in high school at the time. So, I asked my wife:  "One movie, from when we were in high school... go!" 

I was thinking "Fast Times" but, no, she says "Sixteen Candles" -- must be a chick thing.

11 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Agreed.  W/out the Donger and Farmer Ted, that movie is horribad. 

Are you serious?  There's only 2 or 3 scenes with the Ryszczyk family, particularly the great John Kapelos as son-in-law-to-be, Rudy Ryszczk.  Those scenes are gold.  As were all the grandparents scenes.  Other than the date rape(s), the movie holds up really well after 35 years.    

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are you serious?  There's only 2 or 3 scenes with the Ryszczyk family, particularly the great John Kapelos as son-in-law-to-be, Rudy Ryszczk.  Those scenes are gold.  As were all the grandparents scenes.  Other than the date rape(s), the movie holds up really well after 35 years.    

Yep. Definitely a chick thing.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Exile on Main Street is very overrated and i don't know why most people think it's the Stones best. The songs all sound the same. 

11 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The Rolling Stones are a meh band, at best, so all of their albums are overrated, in my opinion.

Well both of your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The Rolling Stones are a meh band, at best, so all of their albums are overrated, in my opinion.

I’m tired of pretty much all classic rock from that era.  I don’t have any complaints about the music, but if I never heard another classic rock song from that era again I’d be just fine.  There’s some great songs out there and I’ve enjoyed them thoroughly over the years but haven’t you just heard them enough already?  

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I’m tired of pretty much all classic rock from that era.  I don’t have any complaints about the music, but if I never heard another classic rock song from that era again I’d be just fine.  There’s some great songs out there and I’ve enjoyed them thoroughly over the years but haven’t you just heard them enough already?  

I still listen to a lot of music from that era, I have just never liked the Stones.  Others do, and that's fine, but I've never liked their music.  Well, Satisfaction and Paint It Black work for me, but not much else.

I still listen to a lot of music from that era, I have just never liked the Stones.  Others do, and that's fine, but I've never liked their music.  Well, Satisfaction and Paint It Black work for me, but not much else.

I’m a huge Stones fan, and I would be just fine never hearing either of those songs ever again.

Really, I’ve lost interest in their “bad boy Beatles” phase entirely. Beggars Banquet through Some Girls is where it’s at. The stuff before and after those eras are disposable to me.

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yes, they certainly don't hold up well against Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Shawn Mendes, and Imagine Dragons.  I'm just hoping to go deaf so I don't have to listen to any more KPOP.

Yeah but there’s a pretty big gap between that shit and classic rock and it’s full of music that doesn’t suck. Black Keys, Gary Clark Jr, Cold War Kids, Lumineers,... just to spitball some random names. I’m not saying they’re epic like the old stuff, but at least I haven’t heard them all 1 billion times yet.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

at least I haven’t heard them all 1 billion times yet.  

This is the crux of the issue. 

We need more variety in our classic rock instead of the same list of standards by each artist. There's more to each catalog than just the top hits off of each album. Not every song is a winner, of course, but the well has run dry on many radio favorites. 

As a bad example (because Steve Miller isn't on the same plane as the Rolling Stones in any dimension) I never need to hear anything by The Steve Miller Band that gets regular air time ever again. Ever. I have extracted all enjoyment from Jet Airliner, The Joker, Take the Money and Run, etc., that I ever will. I will never again be pleased when I hear them start up on the radio. But I would love to hear some of his B-sides and "deep cuts" in regular rotation. 

• Like 1

This is the crux of the issue. 
We need more variety in our classic rock instead of the same list of standards by each artist. There's more to each catalog than just the top hits off of each album. Not every song is a winner, of course, but the well has run dry on many radio favorites. 
As a bad example (because Steve Miller isn't on the same plane as the Rolling Stones in any dimension) I never need to hear anything by The Steve Miller Band that gets regular air time ever again. Ever. I have extracted all enjoyment from Jet Airliner, The Joker, Take the Money and Run, etc., that I ever will. I will never again be pleased when I hear them start up on the radio. But I would love to hear some of his B-sides and "deep cuts" in regular rotation. 

There is so much quality classic rock that I could never get tired of it. Something made me think of Uriah Heep the other day and I realized that I hadn’t listened to any of their music in a long time so I broke out The Magician’s Birthday and listened to it. Brought back some real fun memories
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:01 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I like higher a lot. It gets stuck in my head sometimes and I'll jam out to it. I don't think I can stand any other creed songs but higher is just fine.