Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

Van Halen pre-dated hair metal. Hair metal didn’t really become a thing until the around 82 or 83 with bands like Def Leppard, Scoprions, and Judas Priest becoming more mainstream. Now the aforementioned bands have their roots in heavy metal and the 70’s, but they didn’t become mainstream until 82 or 83 thanks to MTV. They gave rise to the abortions that would become groups like Poison and Warrant...truly hair metal bands with zero substance.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Van Halen pre-dated hair metal. Hair metal didn’t really become a thing until the around 82 or 83 with bands like Def Leppard, Scoprions, and Judas Priest becoming more mainstream. Now the aforementioned bands have their roots in heavy metal and the 70’s, but they didn’t become mainstream until 82 or 83 thanks to MTV. They gave rise to the abortions that would become groups like Poison and Warrant...truly hair metal bands with zero substance.

Good stuff. VH (1978) might actually be a good delineation between glam and heavily blues inspired metal and the more pop-leaning hair metal. 

But even in the 80s and early 90s VH was probably too hard to be called "hair metal". But idk, I would never call GnR hair metal and some people do.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I pos repped you to offset someone’s neg only because this is the unpopular opinion thread and yours is dead on appropriate for that... Annnnnd... you have zero taste in music and no awareness of 70’s music if you think that pic you posted looks any more wimpy than every single other rock band from the same era.  VH kicked ass through 3 decades.  

Yeah, hair metal is descended from VH, pretty directly, but they were an edgier, more metallic version of a lot of 70s prog/glam rock bands.

Consider:  Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, etc.  All very hairy, most not very metallic.

Edited by TwiceHorn

The idea of toilet paper is fucking disgusting, and everyone should be using either a bidet or at the very least some type of baby wipe or something. 

Imagine if you got shit smeared on your arm for some reason. Let’s say you were wrestling with your dog in the yard. Imagine just taking a paper towel and wiping it off until it looked like it was gone. No soap, no water, just wipe it off and go about your day. Nobody would do that. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The idea of toilet paper is fucking disgusting, and everyone should be using either a bidet or at the very least some type of baby wipe or something. 

Imagine if you got shit smeared on your arm for some reason. Let’s say you were wrestling with your dog in the yard. Imagine just taking a paper towel and wiping it off until it looked like it was gone. No soap, no water, just wipe it off and go about your day. Nobody would do that. 

Bidet thread is that way ———->

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, hair metal is descended from VH, pretty directly, but they were an edgier, more metallic version of a lot of 70s prog/glam rock bands.

Consider:  Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, etc.  All very hairy, most not very metallic.

Journey is kind of it's own thing. And Styx might sound similar to some hair metal I guess but they predate it and are more of a Queen rip than anything.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Journey is kind of it's own thing. And Styx might sound similar to some hair metal I guess but they predate it and are more of a Queen rip than anything.

I wasn't saying that those bands were hair metal.  I was juxtaposing them with VH, as contemporaries.  They all had that kind of pre-hair-metal look despite being not at all metal.

VH derived their "look" from most bands of the era.  The sound was something else entirely.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wasn't saying that those bands were hair metal.  I was juxtaposing them with VH, as contemporaries.  They all had that kind of pre-hair-metal look despite being not at all metal.

VH derived their "look" from most bands of the era.  The sound was something else entirely.

I wasn't saying you were. I was reinforcing your argument, really.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They might if the sole purpose of their arm was to have shit come out of it

The sole purpose? You don’t eat ass?! 

lol I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me but I prefer my shit be all the way gone. Probably just me though. I can’t speak for everyone. It’s one thing if it comes out clean. If you’re dealing with a sloppy shit, I really feel like you need more than TP if the option is there 

Van Halen transcends genre.  They weren't hair metal, which I hate 80% of including the rest of rock/metal bands from that era.  Van Halen was just an exceptionally talented and fun rock and roll band.  Maybe it's not for you, but you have to appreciate what they did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, Tom said:

Van Halen transcends genre.  They weren't hair metal, which I hate 80% of including the rest of rock/metal bands from that era.  Van Halen was just an exceptionally talented and fun rock and roll band.  Maybe it's not for you, but you have to appreciate what they did.

People who say Zeppelin is better than Van Halen probably consider Applebees fine dining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN65NDNAzuU

And video probably NSFW, but yeah this song.

Edited by Cement
  • Fuck You 2

On 10/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't give a fuck how you clean your ass, but don't flush those motherfucking wipes down the toilet.  They clog pipes and cause hell with pumps.  Anyone who flushes anything other than piss, shit, puke, or toilet paper is an okie level moron or tick turd.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't give a fuck how you clean your ass, but don't flush those motherfucking wipes down the toilet.  They clog pipes and cause hell with pumps.  Anyone who flushes anything other than piss, shit, puke, or toilet paper is an okie level moron or tick turd.

Because it bears repeating, dammit!

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I have a bidet. One of the most underrated purchases I’ve ever made. 

But before that Ive always bought “dude wipes”. Certified flushable by the INDA GD4 international flushability standard, which is apparently a thing. On the package it says flushable though. Long story short, my asshole is so fucking clean lol

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Listen to this man. For real. This is rock solid truth.

I have a bidet. One of the most underrated purchases I’ve ever made. 

But before that Ive always bought “dude wipes”. Certified flushable by the INDA GD4 international flushability standard, which is apparently a thing. On the package it says flushable though. Long story short, my asshole is so fucking clean lol

If ever there’s been two user names more appropriate.... just don’t cross the streams!
  • Haha 2

On 10/4/2020 at 9:29 PM, Helobious said:

Long jump makes perfect sense as an athletic competition. Who can jump the furthest. Triple jump is pretty stupid however, as is pole vaulting.

Pole vaulting makes sense in the context of ancient simulations of combat, such as spear throwing, hammer throwing, running and jumping, and trumpet playing (an ancient Olympic event that was a contest of volume — one of the champions slept on bearskin and could scatter a crowd when he played two trumpets at once). Using a pole/spear to quickly climb walls or traverse obstacles seems like a pretty useful skill in the ancient world.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, gurt said:

Olympic swimming is stupid.  Why have 4 different ways of doing the same thing?  It should be whoever does that distance the fastest, by whichever stroke you can do fastest.  We don't have the backwards running 100m, the skipping on one leg 100m.  Why do we have the stupid ass backstroke?  

and when I think about it, I’m pretty sure I could be a world class swim coach with maybe a few weeks of study and training, max.  I mean, how hard is it to tell people, “move your arms and legs faster”?   and, apparently even complete morons like that Swam4Texas dude can be taught to do it at a competitive level.  

On 10/10/2020 at 10:03 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well, they need to start updating those events to skills that are useful in the modern world like lane merging. Eight competitors start out driving around the track in separate lanes and then all lanes merge into one. The first one through wins.

In the 96 Olympic trials I finished 1st, 4th, and 9th in jerking off.

Eddie's passing is a loss to rock n' roll, and to the childhood/young adulthoods of many of us on here.  Van Halen will always be a legendary hard rock band that belongs in the upper echelon of music.  That's a fact.  Not an opinion.  Period.  Full stop.  

Led Zeppelin is another echelon apart from that one.  They have a handful of similarities but Zeppelin is another plane.  It doesn't take anything away from Eddie's death or the greatness of Van Halen.  I mean, Kurt Cobain died.  Doesn't mean it has anything to do with the legendary status of the Clash.  It's just two separate things.  

Anyway, back to unpopular opinions---I can't put my finger on it but something is less good about What-a-Burger burgers lately.  Last few I've had are average to below average.  I don't get it.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Eddie's passing is a loss to rock n' roll, and to the childhood/young adulthoods of many of us on here.  Van Halen will always be a legendary hard rock band that belongs in the upper echelon of music.  That's a fact.  Not an opinion.  Period.  Full stop.  

Led Zeppelin is another echelon apart from that one.  They have a handful of similarities but Zeppelin is another plane.  It doesn't take anything away from Eddie's death or the greatness of Van Halen.  I mean, Kurt Cobain died.  Doesn't mean it has anything to do with the legendary status of the Clash.  It's just two separate things.  

Anyway, back to unpopular opinions---I can't put my finger on it but something is less good about What-a-Burger burgers lately.  Last few I've had are average to below average.  I don't get it.  

I think it's hard to compare them because Van Halen wouldn't have been able to do what they did without Zeppelin coming along before that. It's like saying Willie Nelson is better than Bob Wills or Hank Williams. 

Good point.  Which is why  I would never put the two of them in the Same sentence as was done upthread.  But to be fair, these types of deaths bring out the era/genre comparison debates.  

We’d better get used to those awkward comparisons, because the next decade or so is gonna take out even more of our favorites from way back when.  Fuck!

On 10/9/2020 at 4:59 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Do you recommend...wiping your butt with a wipe...and then putting the poop wipe in a trashcan to fester?

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Agree.  Mostly, it's been the temperature.  The burgers are usually room temp and I haven't had a cheese burger w/ melted cheese in over a year.   I usually eat around 3-4 burgers/month and WB has been taken out of the rotation, for now. 

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Do you recommend...wiping your butt with a wipe...and then putting the poop wipe in a trashcan to fester?

That is exactly what they are designed for.  They do not break apart and degrade like toilet paper, and don't belong anywhere near plumbing.  Take the trash out every once in a while. 

On 10/10/2020 at 12:36 AM, Mole said:

Pole vaulting makes sense in the context of ancient simulations of combat, such as spear throwing, hammer throwing, running and jumping, and trumpet playing (an ancient Olympic event that was a contest of volume — one of the champions slept on bearskin and could scatter a crowd when he played two trumpets at once). Using a pole/spear to quickly climb walls or traverse obstacles seems like a pretty useful skill in the ancient world.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

I've been thinking the same thing . I didn't know whether it was just different locations or what but it seems that regardless of location lately they all are missing a beat. Didn't they sell out to Yankees or something here a while back?

They sold out to a Chicago PE group (well, majority control anyway).  Obviously the new management was gonna change some shit up to justify their check.  But I assume deserts or breakfast or something.  But I think they went straight for the patties.  90% sure the bun and cheese are the same.  Mustard, chopped lettuce, tomato...all seem the same.  But the patty itself is like more "watery" and just kind void of flavor like a concession stand burger. 

I had one at Manchaca/290, one on the North Drag, and third one was out in Lakeway.  Spaced out about once every 3-4 weeks.  And each one was as I described.  Fries were the same at least.  I dunno.  Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this, thought I had Covid-19 for a minute.  So it's not one particular store or one batch of shitty meat that they had that week, this is getting to be a problem.  I'll take this to Food & Travel, see if we're all going crazy or what.  

17 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

That is exactly what they are designed for.  They do not break apart and degrade like toilet paper, and don't belong anywhere near plumbing.  Take the trash out every once in a while. 

So just to be clear, the dude wipes packaging says it’s Certified flushable by the INDA GD4 international flushability standard. I can flush these, right? Or was I just fucking up my apartments plumbing for years with these wipes?

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So just to be clear, the dude wipes packaging says it’s Certified flushable by the INDA GD4 international flushability standard. I can flush these, right? Or was I just fucking up my apartments plumbing for years with these wipes?

The packaging says flushable, but it just means that it will go down your toilet, not that they will break up and pass through the system safely like toilet paper will.  Most wipes are unwoven plastic or less refined wood fiber.  When they mix with other wipes, hair, mop strings, grease, and other items that don't break up easily, they form large balls of debris that clog pipes, pumps, and other equipment.  We just had to manually remove a 75 pound ball of wipes and grease from a screen at one of my plants.  We have also had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to replace pumps that worked well for years, but clog up with the "flushable" wipes.  We had to replace them with chopper pumps designed to cut them up and pass them through.  The problem with that is that now much of the chopped wipes pass through the screens and accumulates in our aeration basin.  They are a great evil to wastewater personnel.  I would ban them, if I could.

• Like 1