Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

• 4 weeks later...

Wes Anderson is a joke.  It's like he's not even trying to make movies anymore, rather, he's trying to make caricatures of the popular notion of what wes anderson is.  i.e., he insists on himself.

btw i LOVED rushmore and bottle rocket was cool

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Wes Anderson is a joke.  It's like he's not even trying to make movies anymore, rather, he's trying to make caricatures of the popular notion of what wes anderson is.  i.e., he insists on himself.

btw i LOVED rushmore and bottle rocket was cool

If Wes Anderson's fixation with twee affectations were a person, it would be whatever Jeff Goldblum has decided to become over the last 10-20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

One day, before I die, I want to watch a sports event on TV where all I hear are the crowd sounds, the whistles, the stadium announcer, the players yelling the play or calling for the ball, and random stuff from the side lines.

Pro Tip: If you have a surround sound system, unplug the middle bar during sporting events. It's like being in the stadium at home. I get little to no announcers or sideline reporter bullshit and I can hear the crowd noise and band since that's the ambient noise being played through my other speakers instead of the announcers.

It's heaven for a sports fan, and I stumbled upon it accidently when messing with my sound system. Your welcome.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/20/2021 at 9:14 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I could do without Bob Wills’ “call outs” in his music.  

Same. I bet Tommy Duncan hated that mofo sometimes. 😈

He's still the King, don't get your panties in a wad. On a side note, I've been playing Bob Wills for my daughter since she was 4 and she loves the shit out of him at 16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm ok with more bowl games.

I think the college football playoffs should be scrapped, and return to the days of just having bowl games and an AP poll, a coaches poll, a whoever the fuck wants to bother poll.

Get rid of the review, refs call it on the field, play on.

While we're at it, lets get rid of the yellow first down line. And the on screen strike square.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 5:42 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

One day, before I die, I want to watch a sports event on TV where all I hear are the crowd sounds, the whistles, the stadium announcer, the players yelling the play or calling for the ball, and random stuff from the side lines.

NBC did this in the early 80s for a Jets-Dolphins game…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think the college football playoffs should be scrapped, and return to the days of just having bowl games and an AP poll, a coaches poll, a whoever the fuck wants to bother poll.

While we're at it, lets get rid of the yellow first down line. And the on screen strike square.

Wow, this is perfect for this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I can totally see myself not caring at all about college football come 2031. I'm all for athletes being paid for NIL. It's ridiculous that they weren't. But I also feel like that it's going to get really weird. Honestly don't know why there just isn't an NFL D-league.

Add in conference realignment (not a fan of going to SEC) and the last decade of Longhorn football.

Of course, the team will go 10-2 and I'll be right back into it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sounds like someone wants another A&M championship....

I'm with you on all of that except the on-screen strike square.  I like the strike square for college football broadcasts.

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There will be some rules put in place after this first year or two I'm betting.  It is the wild west for sure right now.

By who? The NCAA is virtually powerless and could potentially find itself out of the cfb picture entirely. It isn't like there's a CBA with a PA and owners splitting authority. 

15 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I remember the excitement when you heard a certain bowl committee was in town to watch your team/school play, possible extend a bowl invitation afterwards.  All the tie ins kinda kill it now.  

Agreed.  

I see SMU is playing Virginia in a bowl.  I thought that was an unusual pairing and checked Stassen Head to Head, which returned a "page not found."  Matchups like that are cool.  Then again, the modern bowl era is what made the 2005 and 2006 Rose Bowls so special.  

• 2 weeks later...
Taco Bell is garbage yes.  But a crispy taco supreme from there is about as good as any crispy taco your abuelita can make.
Wrong. However the homemade version of this actual beef, ripe tomatoes and better cheese with taco bell style sauce is freaking legit. Gringo af, but I enjoy as much as legit mesquite smoked fajitas, lingua, pastor etc.

I should start a white boy taco comfort food truck

It’s time for gritty comic book movies to go away.  The subject matter is inherently unserious and it’s tough for me to leave behind the fact that that movie is about a guy who dresses up as an animal and uses ninja/magic to fight themed villains.

If you want to do a deep dive commentary into society and its pathologies and violence then let’s make a mob or other organized crime movie, please. Or a Western. We haven’t had enough of those in a while. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s time for gritty comic book movies to go away.  The subject matter is inherently unserious and it’s tough for me to leave behind the fact that that movie is about a guy who dresses up as an animal and uses ninja/magic to fight themed villains.

If you want to do a deep dive commentary into society and its pathologies and violence then let’s make a mob or other organized crime movie, please. Or a Western. We haven’t had enough of those in a while. 

This is a great take.

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Maybe I’m just too young but a mob movie or western is as unrelatable to me as a gritty comic book movie is to you. Mass shooters, street gangs, cartels is the violence we know.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, Helobious said:

Maybe I’m just too young but a mob movie or western is as unrelatable to me as a gritty comic book movie is to you. Mass shooters, street gangs, cartels is the violence we know.

So by putting clown masks and spider webs on the folks it makes it more real?  

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So by putting clown masks and spider webs on the folks it makes it more real?  

When you’ve grown up watching real people get beheaded on the internet, and looking at dead kids in school shooting crime scene photos, old Italian dudes getting in shootouts and cowboys dueling in the street seems pretty cartoonish as a “gritty exploration of violence”. 

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

When you’ve grown up watching real people get beheaded on the internet, and looking at dead kids in school shooting crime scene photos, old Italian dudes getting in shootouts and cowboys dueling in the street seems pretty cartoonish as a “gritty exploration of violence”. 

When you spend your spare time watching people get beheaded on the internet and looking at dead kids, you need to look at how you spend your spare time.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

When you spend your spare time watching people get beheaded on the internet and looking at dead kids, you need to look at how you spend your spare time.  

It’s not something I do at all anymore but when you’re a teenager on the internet it’s easy to get lost in some rabbit holes. Several murders (Virginia Beach, Cleveland) and that mosque shooting were live-streamed, if you’re on social media you might see some shit without really trying to. 

Yeah, I never seek that shit out...but that's a good point possibly for a more serious thread.  I think I saw one piece of video footage of a real-life murder as a kid.  By the time videos on the internet of shit like that became easier to find in my teens/20's, I never sought them out, and they never found me. 

Now, I have to actively be ready to close a window or shut off the TV because some benign "The following may be disturbing to some viewers." My brain says, "Oh, it's foul language, partial nudity, or a fist-fight.  No biggie, kids are in the other room..."  And then nope, it's more than just "may be disturbing"...it's a cop shooting somebody in the back, a classroom full of dead children, somebody cutting off a head in Syria, some man beating a woman nearly to death on a bus.  I can't watch shit like that, but you just click on a newsstory these days and BAM, there it is...shit that wouldn't have been allowed with 100 yards of a news station years ago....and now it's so commonplace, you get a fucking pop-up menu after you hit close, 'Are you sure you want to close this video of multiple genital mutilations?'  

• 4 weeks later...

That Super Bowl performance? Meh... and I grew up with those songs.

Those songs seem very dated to me. Know how Beatles or Rolling Stones hold up? Those songs don't. As well, it's one thing for an old dude to rock behind a guitar. High-energy rapping when you're 60 and getting heavier just seems... weird. 

I thought Snoop and Kendrick Lamar killed it. Eminem is Eminem.

Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, and Mary J. Blige? It just looked bad to me.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Those songs seem very dated to me. Know how Beatles or Rolling Stones hold up? Those songs don't. As well, it's one thing for an old dude to rock behind a guitar. High-energy rapping when you're 60 and getting heavier just seems... weird. 

They were also really bad at lip syncing.  I realize all Super Bowl halftime performances are probably lip syncs, but at least try to sell it.  Dre standing up and walking away from a piano while it still plays, Eminem pulling the mic away from his mouth while he keeps rapping.  Lots of mess ups.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Right thread to say this… I don’t like the Stones or the Beatles. And there’s old music I do like but they never did it for me.

• Hook 'Em 2