Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 11/2/2018 at 11:59 PM, Your Mom said:

Yeah, it's good for a fast food burger.  Better than all it's competition, but that's about it.  It's still fast food. It's usually the best option when I'm out driving around and I appreciate it but it's nothing I'd ever crave or specifically leave the house for.  

Also "fast food" is kind of a misnomer considering it takes six months to get through the drive thru.  

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fast food lines are either lighting fast or painfully slow. There is no middle ground.

Yep.  Either the model of efficiency (CFA) or "omg everyone behind the counter are high AF and have no clue where they are" (JITB)

• Like 2

I’m a Native Texan and loved Whataburger growing up but I also don’t get today’s Texan obsession. I like Sonic burgers too and they are a lot faster. The Whataburgers in Oklahoma require 20 minutes at least in the drive thru. Not worth it. Also, comparing it to In and Out is just stupid. Both make good burgers. Any fast food vs. fast food argument is stupid but that one has gone full retard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’m a Native Texan and loved Whataburger growing up but I also don’t get today’s Texan obsession. I like Sonic burgers too and they are a lot faster. The Whataburgers in Oklahoma require 20 minutes at least in the drive thru. Not worth it. Also, comparing it to In and Out is just stupid. Both make good burgers. Any fast food vs. fast food argument is stupid but that one has gone full retard.

Agreed. Whataburger and In N Out both are good at what they do but these silly arguments between the two is like you said, full retard. At least have an argument about real restaurants, not fast food establishments. It's silly. I see it all around social media when these 2 are brought up. You have people on both sides discussing these places like it's very serious business. 

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At 3:00 am after a night of drinking, there are only two places to go.  One is the nearest Whataburger and the other is Ruchi's el Rincon de Mexico at Sage and Richmond.

Jack Box and Taco Bell as well. Shitty food? Absolutely. Never would eat there sober. But when drunk, shitty food just calls your name. 

Craft Beer movement jumped the shark a long time ago

1-2 decades ago it was great, finding new breweries, finding new beers, trying new styles.  you wanted to sample them all.

now every podunk down and every bar has its own brew with hip graphics and some edgy names and theyre pretty much all crap.  they dont contribute even a marginal gain to the net value of the craft beer world.

personally i could live the rest of my life from the dog fish head lineup alone

• Like 2

Im to the point where most craft beers generally taste the same. If i was holding a paint swatch from 10 companies of all yellow paints... there's a good chance i can find yellows that will look alike. That's what i feel about craft beer.

Of course i also feel pressured to order one with friends who are into this scene, so i hate looking at the beer menu with 25 selections trying to imagine the taste to them all.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Im to the point where most craft beers generally taste the same. If i was holding a paint swatch from 10 companies of all yellow paints... there's a good chance i can find yellows that will look alike. That's what i feel about craft beer.

Of course i also feel pressured to order one with friends who are into this scene, so i hate looking at the beer menu with 25 selections trying to imagine the taste to them all.

Order a Miller Light just to fuck with them.

Why does everything have to taste different in order to enjoy it? I know what styles I like so I'll order the style I'm in the mood for at that time. It's infinitely better than what we used to have where your options were Bud, Miller, Coors at every establishment in town.

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why does everything have to taste different in order to enjoy it? I know what styles I like so I'll order the style I'm in the mood for at that time. It's infinitely better than what we used to have where your options were Bud, Miller, Coors at every establishment in town.

It's better, but you also don't want to be looking at a menu of 25 different selections of a similar product.  Just like I wouldn't want to go to a burger joint and be choosing between 25 plus variations of a cheeseburger.

It's better, but you also don't want to be looking at a menu of 25 different selections of a similar product.  Just like I wouldn't want to go to a burger joint and be choosing between 25 plus variations of a cheeseburger.
I agree there. That's why it's good to know the styles and just pick one.

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies and I have no desire to.

I hate politics and don't believe my vote matters.

I like craft beer AND macro-pop beer.  Same goes with whiskey & vodka.

I have no desire to "travel the World"...I can have a lifetime of adventures inside Texas and be perfectly happy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I like craft beer AND macro-pop beer.  Same goes with whiskey & vodka.

I have no desire to "travel the World"...I can have a lifetime of adventures inside Texas and be perfectly happy.

Whatever.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:59 PM, Your Mom said:

Yeah, it's good for a fast food burger.  Better than all it's competition, but that's about it.  It's still fast food. It's usually the best option when I'm out driving around and I appreciate it but it's nothing I'd ever crave or specifically leave the house for.  

Agree.  "Better than other fast food burgers" (even "way better") doesn't really move the needle for me.  If I lived in Jarrell, or Pampa, or Carthage, or some other bumfuck town I guess I could see how having a Whataburger around might be a big deal.  But living in Austin, I can't think of any legit reason to go to a Whataburger, much less get worked up about it.  To each their own, but it seems to me that if one goes nuts over Whataburger, they might consider getting out and exploring more.   Probably unpopular. 

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Order a Miller Light just to fuck with them.

I do this all the time I find myself in the company self-professed beer snobs.  "I'm looking for a lager, maybe pilsner, not super heavy, not super hoppy, what do you recommend?"  At least half the time they don't know I'm screwing with them.

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

7 hours ago, Okie State said:
7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I agree there. That's why it's good to know the styles and just pick one.

Most craft breweries have a core set of beers that are the basic offerings.  Good basic beers, and yeah very similar to similar styles from other craft breweries.  All miles ahead of domestic pisswater.  And like Okie says, just know your basic style.  Pilsner, lager, APA, IPA, stout, every craft brewery will have a basic offering.  The rest of the menu is for people like me who want to try a little of everything.  It's a legitimate business.

• Like 1

Most craft breweries have a core set of beers that are the basic offerings.  Good basic beers, and yeah very similar to similar styles from other craft breweries.  All miles ahead of domestic pisswater.  And like Okie says, just know your basic style.  Pilsner, lager, APA, IPA, stout, every craft brewery will have a basic offering.  The rest of the menu is for people like me who want to try a little of everything.  It's a legitimate business.
Just to clarify my position, while I actually do prefer an extensive menu, I understand how it would be a turn off for a lot of people. My wife also hates it because I'll spend 15 minutes reading every option and trying to find something I've either never had or never heard of.

9 hours ago, Whatever said:

Star Wars is terrible. I had never seen them until almost 3 years ago. Ran through them in order. They got worse as they went on.

Voting is throwing a bone to the peasants and thinking that it counts. You think they will allow these allowed these elected officials to be voted in by us? It's all pre-determined well before these "elections". Also, the latest trend of getting stickers for voting and posting all over social media makes you look like a retard. Ralph Wiggums style.

• Like 1

Star Wars is terrible. I had never seen them until almost 3 years ago. Ran through them in order. They got worse as they went on.

Voting is throwing a bone to the peasants and thinking that it counts. You think they will allow these allowed these elected officials to be voted in by us? It's all pre-determined well before these "elections". Also, the latest trend of getting stickers for voting and posting all over social media makes you look like a retard. Ralph Wiggums style.

Regarding elections, 100% agree. Stop telling me you voted. IDGAF. It's all rigged. I have voted a few times, but I'm taking a break. I voted in the last Presidential election and went Libertarian. My friends & family on the right told me my Libertarian vote was a vote for her, and my friends and family on the left told me I was voting for him. Fuck all of y'all I'm voting for what i believe in. I'm done. My vote in Collin County doesn't mean shit, and now I won't vote again for a long time.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

This gets me a lot of shit from my friends but I think Star Wars The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie ever made. It ruins the lore of the first 6 films by making Luke Skywalker be the villain.

You're right and your friends are fucking idiots. That movie was stinky shit. And especially disappointing because I thought TFA was pretty fucking rad. 

I would rather try to bring a cadaver to orgasm than bite into a mushroom. I cook with mushrooms, I like the flavor and the smell when they're sauteeing with butter and onion and garlic but their consistency is what I imagine biting into a testicle would be like.

You should try sautéed mushroom and mountain oysters then.

Turkey is way overated and fucking sucks. Therefore I'm doing prime rib and game hens for Thanksgiving. Because I can. And I will. 
I honestly only eat turkey on Thanksgiving and even at times on Easter and Christmas. So max 3 times a year. I agree that it sucks but I'll be deep frying a few of them for next Thursday.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
15 hours ago, pops said:
Turkey is way overated and fucking sucks. Therefore I'm doing prime rib and game hens for Thanksgiving. Because I can. And I will. 

I honestly only eat turkey on Thanksgiving and even at times on Easter and Christmas. So max 3 times a year. I agree that it sucks but I'll be deep frying a few of them for next Thursday.

I eat it on Thanksgiving only.  I've turned Christmas Day and Easter into smoked chicken, ribs, and sausage and nobody complains because my family aren't idiots.