This is why everyone should spend 50 bucks and get a dash cam

Quagmire

Caught this picking my kid up from school . Light was red a good 15 seconds before he ran through it, no way he was paying attention.

Pickup kid and leave and cops there talking to them. Dude that ran light was saying he had the green, then I cut in that I have it on video.

I wish they would treat these idiots distracted by their phones the same way as a dwi, at least the drunk is probably trying to pay attention. Shit pisses me off, school right around corner from that light, easily could have been some kid crossing the street.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve watched it four times. What am I missing?

Took me 3 or 5 times to see anything, white car in the left lane at the start of the video blows through the red light, spins out and crashes into a pole. You can barely see it, but it is why the cars were stopped in the intersection.
The light was clearly red.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Took me 3 or 5 times to see anything, white car in the left lane at the start of the video blows through the red light, spins out and crashes into a pole. You can barely see it, but it is why the cars were stopped in the intersection.

I still can't figure out how he managed to get through the intersection, but then run off the road and hit a pole.

54 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I love my dash cam. 

This happened within couple of days of when I got my first one a few years ago. Had I not been paying attention it might have been really bad for the mom who was in such a hurry to get to the donut shop that morning. 

Those kind of turn lanes drive me crazy, drivers just don’t know how to deal with it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you have an accident that's your fault the first thing you do is grab the dash cam and stash it

This ^^^^

If you have an accident - any accident at all - take it and hide it and never mention you had one until after you've seen the tape and know whether you are at fault.

I've had people tell me it's a bad idea to have one at all for this reason, but if you are a careful driver and think it's more likely to be someone else's fault if you have an accident, they are valuable tools, which is why the Russians all have them: for evidence.

My current model also has GPS and speed measurement built into it. Not valid for evidence yet in most states, but still might prove helpful if you think he got the wrong car or whatever. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I love my dash cam. 

This happened within couple of days of when I got my first one a few years ago. Had I not been paying attention it might have been really bad for the mom who was in such a hurry to get to the donut shop that morning. 

Looking at the font, I am guessing we have (had) the same camera.  I just got the Blackvue 650 front and back camera since my other one crapped out.

Here is an older video I think I posted on a thread last year, pretty close call as well.

• Like 3

He hit the silver suv, that’s why he went out of control into the wall

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This ^^^^

If you have an accident - any accident at all - take it and hide it and never mention you had one until after you've seen the tape and know whether you are at fault.

I've had people tell me it's a bad idea to have one at all for this reason, but if you are a careful driver and think it's more likely to be someone else's fault if you have an accident, they are valuable tools, which is why the Russians all have them: for evidence.

My current model also has GPS and speed measurement built into it. Not valid for evidence yet in most states, but still might prove helpful if you think he got the wrong car or whatever. 

good option here too

https://www.cobra.com/products/cobra-road-scout?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqG_oqCD5QIVdB-tBh1XSg9WEAQYASABEgKPtvD_BwE#

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This ^^^^

Yeah I've had a dash cam for 3-4 years now.  Came in really handy once when some guy cut out in front of me, causing me to swerve into oncoming traffic and then hit the median coming back.  I knew for sure he had cut out and caused the accident but I still stashed my cam until I could see the video myself.  Sometimes your memory plays tricks on you, especially in high stress moments like that.  I thought for sure I was in the left lane of a two lane road, but the video shows me in the right lane.

Still clearly the other guys fault, had a witness report and the cop assigned fault on the scene without seeing the video or even knowing I had a cam.  Filed a claim with the other guys insurance company and they started giving me the typical insurance company run around "we gotta talk to our client, 30 days by law until we approve the claim blah blah blah."  Sent the video  and that same day they said "uh, yeah we'll approve the claim."

• Like 1

I had never thought about it before, but I may go get one now.

There was only one two-right-turn-lanes street in College Station, but they have them all over the place, including designated U-turn lanes, here in the Raleigh area, and every time I pull up to one, I see a half dozen drivers doing crazy, reckless shit that so far hasn't done any damage, but I know it's just a matter of time.

14 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

OP is the least interesting dash cam video I’ve ever watched.

Don't let the great Russian ones ruin your expectations and make you limp everywhere else. Thats just what they want. 

Thats how a hardcore commie works you know

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Looking at the font, I am guessing we have (had) the same camera.  I just got the Blackvue 650 front and back camera since my other one crapped out.

Here is an older video I think I posted on a thread last year, pretty close call as well.

Pos-repped for a first rate "God Almighty!"  It is an increasingly rare exclamation, and you delivered it with superb disgust and derision.  Well done!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

You should all have dash cams because police are corrupt, lying sacks of shit. Could be your or someone else's freedom on the line.

Absolutely. If a cop shows up to court, which isn't always a given, but if he does, the burden of proof in a traffic court situation is ALWAYS on the accused. The cop can literally show up and say whatever he wants to say and accuse you, true or not, and if you don't have evidence to contradict him, he will always win by virtue of his simply being a cop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Absolutely. If a cop shows up to court, which isn't always a given, but if he does, the burden of proof in a traffic court situation is ALWAYS on the accused. The cop can literally show up and say whatever he wants to say and accuse you, true or not, and if you don't have evidence to contradict him, he will always win by virtue of his simply being a cop. 

Yep. 

CSB time. Fought a ticket in Temple years ago. I'm white, early 20's, 5.0 mustang. Leaving a red light cop is in HEB parking lot (they were closed) . Writes me for excessive acceleration and exhibition of speed. 

This was February and one of the rare times we got some winter weather, so the streets were sanded. Wheel spin leaving the light was from sand. 

The cop and his partner lie there asses off. They are so bold as to say there was no sand on the streets and they don't remember any snow/ice. Cop then doubles down and says I was racing another car. There wasn't another car. And no mention of it on the ticket or anything. A laywer buddy of mine ripped that cop and the new city attorney a new one. 

Jury remembered exactly that we did have snow/ice and that streets where sanded. Jury came back in 5 min with not guilty. 

TLDR--Cops are indeed liars. Fuck cops. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Since I'm on the road a lot for my work, I got a dashcam a few years ago.  So far, the most interesting thing I've gotten with it is a fox crossing the road in an urban area & 5 or 6 turkey flying across the road out closer to my place.

I keep hitting refresh and videos still not showing up. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

I know nothing about cams, but can they be turned inward during a stop? Or would you need a second cam for when you get pulled over?

if you want that kinda action, you gotta pay extra Cotton.

shorter answer, there are cams that look both forward and backward at the same time, but they legit cost a lot more than the forward facing ones. 

• Like 1

I know nothing about cams, but can they be turned inward during a stop? Or would you need a second cam for when you get pulled over?

Mine pivots on a 360° ball, so all you need to do is spin it to the driver's window (& hope you have it lined up accurately).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Always, and I mean always, wait a second or two to go through any intersection after your light turns green in the Greater Houston Metro area. And then, look both ways when crossing said intersection because dumbasses can come from anywhere here.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I love my dash cam. 

Hello neighbor.  Someone did something stupid in front of us last Saturday, but not that egregious, trying to get to Wesco. I’ve been there; not worth wrecking over imo. 

Always, and I mean always, wait a second or two to go through any intersection after your light turns green in the Greater Houston Metro area. And then, look both ways when crossing said intersection because dumbasses can come from anywhere here.
If you are in front of me at a green and show no signs of going after .5 seconds you will hear my horn.

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Hate said:

If you are in front of me at a green and show no signs of going after .5 seconds you will hear my horn.

I wait at least 1 second to look at see before I pull out. I’m not getting T-boned to save a second, or anyone else for that matter.  

Further, if I had the immediate forethought, I would put my shit in park and we’d wait for the next one. At a minimum I’m going as slow as I can stand to further irritate you. .5 second is bullshit in any town bigger than Hooks. 

If you are in the Houston area and don’t wait a second or two before moving through a light you will get t-boned eventually. I’ve never been in another city where red lights are run so frequently and blatantly.
  • Like 1