This is why everyone should spend 50 bucks and get a dash cam

Quagmire

Further, if I had the immediate forethought, I would put my shit in park and we’d wait for the next one. At a minimum I’m going as slow as I can stand to further irritate you. .5 second is bullshit in any town bigger than Hooks. 

I did that once when I was by myself in my car. Probably not a good idea though.

3 hours ago, markstanco said:
4 hours ago, Hate said:
Always, and I mean always, wait a second or two to go through any intersection after your light turns green in the Greater Houston Metro area. And then, look both ways when crossing said intersection because dumbasses can come from anywhere here.

If you are in front of me at a green and show no signs of going after .5 seconds you will hear my horn.

Will you also gesticulate? It isn't a fun day driving unless the guy behind me starts throwing his hands up in the air as if witnessing an atrocity.

1 hour ago, Texaus said:

This was several years ago. 15 year old kid driving his new truck home from the dealership. Just so happens a cop caught it all on his dashcam. Kid said he mistook accelerator for the brake.
http:// https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/e9zKmQYE9Aqw1MuIjKEZsHNHnrMXcDji2Tgxt1aSWSN

Bullshit.  First off, who the fuck buys their 15yo a brand new truck.  You're fucking stupid.  2nd, zero experience mixed with the ol A pillar invisibility trick.  Been driving for over 35 years and that shit still gets me at least twice a year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hate said:

If you are in the Houston area and don’t wait a second or two before moving through a light you will get t-boned eventually. I’ve never been in another city where red lights are run so frequently and blatantly.

Only major wreck I have ever been in.  Was at a light downtown, took off, caught the red-light-runner out of the corner of my eye and then airbags while doing a 360. No fun.  I would say I am a pretty aggressive driver but I wait and look every time now.  

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Will you also gesticulate? It isn't a fun day driving unless the guy behind me starts throwing his hands up in the air as if witnessing an atrocity.

No I’m actually a calm driver.  I’ve been in a bad wreck before, and I’d like to avoid that ever again.  Plus there’s just too much dumb shit that happens on the roads of Houston to get angry about; I just go with the flow. 

Funny you mention throwing your hands up. Last weekend, the family and I were out running errands.   I’m in the right hand lane at a stoplight, and I need to turn right into the first drive past the intersection.  The woman behind me is LIVID that I am not turning right on red. I mean the audacity that I’m not traveling to the same destination as her. She’s throwing her hands up, huffing and puffing, and then I see her husband trying to explain to her that she’s dumb.  Time passes and I look back, she’s still bitching. So I scooch up enough for her to have hope, then realize she can’t fit between me and the curb. I look again and the husband is laughing. If I didn’t have shit to do, and didn’t think she would have a fucking aneurism, I would have turned right once the light turned green. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Bullshit.  First off, who the fuck buys their 15yo a brand new truck.  You're fucking stupid.  2nd, zero experience mixed with the ol A pillar invisibility trick.  Been driving for over 35 years and that shit still gets me at least twice a year.

It was a used 1/2 ton single cab. His dad was in the passenger seat. I was at a dead stop in middle of median and saw him move over into turn lane and truck lurches forward and veered into me.

It was surreal hearing the police siren immediately after. I had no idea he was back there. Thought maybe guy was running from the cop for a few seconds. Had wife and kids in there coming home from dinner.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Since I'm on the road a lot for my work, I got a dashcam a few years ago.  So far, the most interesting thing I've gotten with it is a fox crossing the road in an urban area & 5 or 6 turkey flying across the road out closer to my place.

Several years ago I happened to drive past a hawk grabbing a baby squirrel (or some other small mammal) off the sidewalk and flying off with it. It was barely visible on the dash cam but was pretty cool nonetheless. I need to see if I can find that video. /csb

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

No I’m actually a calm driver.  I’ve been in a bad wreck before, and I’d like to avoid that ever again.  Plus there’s just too much dumb shit that happens on the roads of Houston to get angry about; I just go with the flow. 

Funny you mention throwing your hands up. Last weekend, the family and I were out running errands.   I’m in the right hand lane at a stoplight, and I need to turn right into the first drive past the intersection.  The woman behind me is LIVID that I am not turning right on red. I mean the audacity that I’m not traveling to the same destination as her. She’s throwing her hands up, huffing and puffing, and then I see her husband trying to explain to her that she’s dumb.  Time passes and I look back, she’s still bitching. So I scooch up enough for her to have hope, then realize she can’t fit between me and the curb. I look again and the husband is laughing. If I didn’t have shit to do, and didn’t think she would have a fucking aneurism, I would have turned right once the light turned green. 

Not you dude-- you and I are on the same wavelength of making Highly Important People's heads explode.

The Russian dashcam compilations are a guilty pleasure.  I love how the audio goes from bad music to an incredicly stupid collision to the driver yelling the Russian equivalent of "GOT DAMMIT THAT COCKSUCKER HIT ME I'LL KILL THE MOTHERFUCKER!"

Edited by Bama Llama
Spelt badly

Only major wreck I have ever been in.  Was at a light downtown, took off, caught the red-light-runner out of the corner of my eye and then airbags while doing a 360. No fun.  I would say I am a pretty aggressive driver but I wait and look every time now.  

I look both ways when going through green lights as well. I’ve seen too many drunk driver stories on the news to not be aware of it. Driving in Houston is different than any other city I’ve even been in.

Maybe I should post this in dumb question amnesty or ask my husband, but I'd like to change my auxiliary plug (cigarette lighter port) from always being on to being on only when the ignition is on so that GPS and possibly dashcam comes on when my truck starts.  I've tried the googles, but I'm not using the right keywords.  Any suggestions on google search?  2010 F150

You could run a hot wire from something that only comes on when the ignition is on.  The radio is probably convenient.  I am not a mechanic, nor an electrician, and I take no responsibility when your radio shorts out.  That’s what I would do though.  Probably want something that runs through a fuse that’s rated the same.  Scan through your manual and see what the various fuses run.  You might even have an aux connection on your fuse panel that’s not in use.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 10:31 PM, retsevlys said:

Maybe I should post this in dumb question amnesty or ask my husband, but I'd like to change my auxiliary plug (cigarette lighter port) from always being on to being on only when the ignition is on so that GPS and possibly dashcam comes on when my truck starts.  I've tried the googles, but I'm not using the right keywords.  Any suggestions on google search?  2010 F150

The only way to do that is run a parasite off the radio power or run a new wire to the fuse box and find a blank space.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

The only way to do that is run a parasite off the radio power or run a new wire to the fuse box and find a blank space.

This is what I'm going to resort to doing, but it's a whole lot harder than it used to be.  They hide these wires like they don't want you to mess with them.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:31 PM, retsevlys said:

Just leave plugged into the port that is always on and buy a jump starter battery for when it inevitably drains your car battery.  I do that least 4-5 times a year with my 2004 F150 when I forget to unplug my fucking Sirius Radio.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

54 minutes ago, retsevlys said:

They hide these wires like they don't want you to mess with them.

Should have seen me trying to add accessory switches to my F350. The circuits are there in the wiring harness, you just have to figure out which of the dozen or so unused wires is the one you need. Was trying to activate the high idle on demand that ambulances have so my a/c would work better parked. Did it, too. Thank you Ford for being lazy and using a single platform across the board.

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Should have seen me trying to add accessory switches to my F350. The circuits are there in the wiring harness, you just have to figure out which of the dozen or so unused wires is the one you need. Was trying to activate the high idle on demand that ambulances have so my a/c would work better parked. Did it, too. Thank you Ford for being lazy and using a single platform across the board.

what the hell did you just say?

7 minutes ago, huge said:

what the hell did you just say?

Ford has a high idle on demand feature for ambulance and emergency vehicles to charge all the electronics/lights/acc they need while sitting still. Ford is lazy. Instead of just installing it on emergency vehicles, they installed it on all F350 and up so they only had to use 1 wiring harness and computer. If you find the circuit, you can activate it by hooking up a switch and have hi idle on demand to make your ac cool better when parked. Comes in handy on 100° days.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:02 AM, markstanco said:
On 10/7/2019 at 7:04 AM, Hate said:
Always, and I mean always, wait a second or two to go through any intersection after your light turns green in the Greater Houston Metro area. And then, look both ways when crossing said intersection because dumbasses can come from anywhere here.

If you are in front of me at a green and show no signs of going after .5 seconds you will hear my horn.

You’re about.3 seconds more generous than the drivers in Chicago. 

• Like 1

I have cheap dash cams in both cars.  What pisses me off the most is they give you like 12 feet of power cable, and suggest running the wire from the outlet to the side, up the windshield then back across.  I just go straight up then I have 8 feet left bundled up.  How long until cars come with usb  ports up near the rear view mirror for these things.

13 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

My 2011 Dodge 3/4 ton has this as standard. Really handy in the wintertime too. 

I bet you every Dodge truck has it, because that's how Dodge builds shit, with logic.  Every Dodge from 1975 to 2000 used the exact same dash assembly around the radio so there was only one dash kit required for every model.  every one.

Chevy?  I'd guess Chevy had over 100 different ones.

11 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I bet you every Dodge truck has it, because that's how Dodge builds shit, with logic.  Every Dodge from 1975 to 2000 used the exact same dash assembly around the radio so there was only one dash kit required for every model.  every one.

Chevy?  I'd guess Chevy had over 100 different ones.

GM has been, and always will be retarded. 

On 10/5/2019 at 6:33 AM, PilotsError said:

You should all have dash cams because police are corrupt, lying sacks of shit. Could be your or someone else's freedom on the line.

About 12 years ago I was coming back from visiting a friend in northern Ohio.  Ice storm hits suddenly, and you can see it building up between the lanes and wherever tires aren't hitting the pavement.  I decide I'm going to pull off and get a hotel for the night at the next exit.  A mile from the exit some rich college bitch in a brand new BMW decides to change lanes in front of me.  She hits that ice built up between the lanes and immediately slows down.  I'm coming right at her, and trying to swerve out of the way does absolutely nothing.  My front fender smashes her rear bumper nice and hard, but it wasn't enjoyable.  I spun around with a 360 and then another 180 so I started going down the highway backwards with oncoming traffic in my face.  Fortunately the collision had skewed my driver side front tire sideways a bit, and it caused me to slowly careen backwards onto the shoulder.  Took a few hours before the highway patrol showed up because of all the other accidents that night.  Her air bag deployed and her car wasn't running right, so I offered to let her sit in my backseat.  I told her a handy would help keep her hands warm, but she declined.  

I thought it was understood that the accident was her fault, and once the police finally showed up that's how the report read.  However, about a month after the accident I got a call from insurance saying she changed her story and was saying I was at fault.  She claimed I just flew up on her and hit her, she never changed lanes.  I never was cited for the accident to my knowledge, as far as I know the insurance company said they were going to fight it in court, but I never heard what the result was.  Bottom line...dash cam would have been pretty damn handy back then.     /CSB

• Like 1

i think more people run red lights due to the annoyance of only 5 cars making the light as opposed to being distracted. Which the former is caused by people refusing to move when the light turns green because the lead car(s) are too busy checking facegram.

We’ve all been behind the lead car that is pausing/refuses to move until you honk at them halfway thru the light cycle. Those bastards really screw up protected left turns.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 2:07 AM, ulukinatme said:

About 12 years ago I was coming back from visiting a friend in northern Ohio.  Ice storm hits suddenly, and you can see it building up between the lanes and wherever tires aren't hitting the pavement.  I decide I'm going to pull off and get a hotel for the night at the next exit.  A mile from the exit some rich college bitch in a brand new BMW decides to change lanes in front of me.  She hits that ice built up between the lanes and immediately slows down.  I'm coming right at her, and trying to swerve out of the way does absolutely nothing.  My front fender smashes her rear bumper nice and hard, but it wasn't enjoyable.  I spun around with a 360 and then another 180 so I started going down the highway backwards with oncoming traffic in my face.  Fortunately the collision had skewed my driver side front tire sideways a bit, and it caused me to slowly careen backwards onto the shoulder.  Took a few hours before the highway patrol showed up because of all the other accidents that night.  Her air bag deployed and her car wasn't running right, so I offered to let her sit in my backseat.  I told her a handy would help keep her hands warm, but she declined.  

I thought it was understood that the accident was her fault, and once the police finally showed up that's how the report read.  However, about a month after the accident I got a call from insurance saying she changed her story and was saying I was at fault.  She claimed I just flew up on her and hit her, she never changed lanes.  I never was cited for the accident to my knowledge, as far as I know the insurance company said they were going to fight it in court, but I never heard what the result was.  Bottom line...dash cam would have been pretty damn handy back then.     /CSB

It's a given that no matter how much the other person is at fault, be it 100%, 1,000% or 1,000,000%, they are going to sleep on it and blame it on you.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, Quagmire said:

Caught this picking my kid up from school . Light was red a good 15 seconds before he ran through it, no way he was paying attention.

Pickup kid and leave and cops there talking to them. Dude that ran light was saying he had the green, then I cut in that I have it on video.

I wish they would treat these idiots distracted by their phones the same way as a dwi, at least the drunk is probably trying to pay attention. Shit pisses me off, school right around corner from that light, easily could have been some kid crossing the street.

Good job Colombo 

A lot of them will automatically save the previous few files and those following the accident as well from a shock sensor. I can wave my hand by my blackvue cam to manual record. I have a 128 gig chip and I think it records about 25 hours, but that is for front and back at the highest definition.

Mine has the shock sensor to save a recording, it also has a lock button that does the same thing. Records in 10 minute segments not sure how many hours total, but it's a lot. Rewrites over anything not saved. Has already paid for itself in the form of a new windshield a rock truck broke.

Mine has the shock sensor to save a recording, it also has a lock button that does the same thing. Records in 10 minute segments not sure how many hours total, but it's a lot. Rewrites over anything not saved. Has already paid for itself in the form of a new windshield a rock truck broke.
Pretty dumb to not own one huh, especially if you drive over 15k a year.