The Gentlemen

PenelopeWitherspoon

• 3 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:54 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

I enjoyed it.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:10 AM, Scraps said:

Same.  I thought it was really entertaining.  

14 hours ago, Scraps said:

Damn the more i think about this movie the more i liked it

I think i need to buy that poster

Pretty much all this.  Hard to figure out what I liked the most.  Hugh Grant being absolutely sleezy was refreshing.  Colin Ferrell might have been my favorite.  All in all a fun flick.

• Like 1

Well, all things considered with the "c"word being used quite extensively, we were both entertained and laughed heartily at this movie.  Saw a few leave early but I suspect it might have been their first time to see a Guy Richie movie and not appreciate the story without being offended by the cockney dialogue.  I was most impressed with Hugh Grant's performance not having seen him in anything in several years.  All in all, Guy Richie is still one of my favorite directors and this effort was worth the price of admission.  Like Snatch, I will likely watch it regularly when it hits cable.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

If I criticize anything is they Jeremy Strong has a really dark side. Not exploiting that was a minor mistake. 

saw it last night.  this was the only thing I didn’t like and seemed like a pretty egregious casting error.  after seeing him play a somewhat alpha deep-voiced asshole in the big short I couldn’t deal with his character in this movie.  it was just... odd. 

I really want to go see this and I have a question for those of y’all who have.

Are the different UK accents hard to understand?

When I watch British or Irish shows on Netflix or HBO or whatever I have to use closed captioning to catch half of the dialogue.

If the characters are speaking refined BBC English, I’m usually good but when they start in with Mancunian and Geordie and Liverpudlian accents, I’m lost as fuck.

If the accents in this movie are thick I’m gonna wait till it’s streaming so I can use closed captioning.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, futureman said:

saw it last night.  this was the only thing I didn’t like and seemed like a pretty egregious casting error.  after seeing him play a somewhat alpha deep-voiced asshole in the big short I couldn’t deal with his character in this movie.  it was just... odd. 

No kidding about this guy. I rewatched the Big Short a week before the Gentleman and I got a little confused by this character.  
Odd indeed, good observation.  

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

When I watch British or Irish shows on Netflix or HBO or whatever I have to use closed captioning to catch half of the dialogue.

If the characters are speaking refined BBC English, I’m usually good but when they start in with Mancunian and Geordie and Liverpudlian accents, I’m lost as fuck.

If the accents in this movie are thick I’m gonna wait till it’s streaming so I can use closed captioning.

You might want to wait. I understood fine, but then again the only one i ever had an issue with was the Pikey accent. Thankfully the DVD came with a Pikey only captions 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 3:15 PM, Bama Chick said:

Interesting point, one that most men I would imagine, might never raise because they'll just rewatch the movie over and pick up bits they missed.....as long as its really worth watching again.  I've noticed most women throughout my life really don't care much about rewatching movies, so this totally makes sense to me.

• 2 months later...

Snatch is one of my favorite movies...obviously. 

The Gentlemen was weak. The material was weak. The story was fine, but there was no depth. Grant, Farrell, Dockery did the best they could with what they were given. I think most characters were lacking depth. The humor wasn’t there. Feels like Ritchie mailed it in. 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, BERT said:

Kinda was wondering how MM would do in a British gangster film, but he pulled it off quite nicely. 

He did great.  I imagine him getting involved went something like this:

Casting director: "Hey, Matt.  Look we're doing a British gangster movie and we want you to be a lead!  What do you think?"

MM:  "That's cool.  Just give my character an American backstory since I can only do this one accent.  Alright, alright, alright...."

• 7 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 5:19 PM, BERT said:

All you had to say was Guy Richie and i was in. Love his films 

Me too. Check Mathew Vaughn movies, especially Layer Cake. He was a producer on a lot of Richie's films and a director on Layer Cake, Kick-Ass, and bunch of others. Very similar style and I like most everything he does.

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 8:43 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Don’t know, don’t care, he’s terrible in everything he’s in. He almost ruined the movie. 

I don’t know that I’ve seen him in anything else but he was an odd choice here. I don’t know if I’d say he “almost ruined” it but he doesn’t make me want to watch it again (and I otherwise would). Farrell was great as was Dockery.  McConaughey and Hunnam were fine. I actually could have used less Hugh Grant. 

And echo the comment above on Layer Cake. If you haven’t seen that, you should