Walter E. Long Park $800m Master Plan (Looks Amazing) - City Council on the 17th

atomheartbevo

Part 1: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/Planning_and_Development/WaterELong/WEL_Master_Plan_Digital_Draft-part1-2019-09-13.pdf

Part 2: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/Planning_and_Development/WaterELong/WEL_Master_Plan_Digital_Draft-part2-2019-09-13.pdf

Refresher: https://www.kut.org/post/800-million-makeover-plan-walter-e-long-park-includes-planetarium-ferris-wheel

The master plan calls for investing more than $800 million to completely transform the 3,700-acre park in East Austin. A few of the dozens of amenities laid out in the plan include a marina, an event lawn, a planetarium and a Ferris wheel.

If approved by the city, the first phase would cover about 300 acres at the southern end of the park. Development during this phase is estimated to cost $144 million, with $26 million from private funders, and includes plans for a rowing course and a “floating water sports zone.” 

spacer.png

There's things in there (a fucking Ferris wheel?) that are ridiculous, but the planetarium, camping space, boardwalks along the shore, etc. would definitely be nice upgrades/additions.

Meanwhile, the golf course down the street is closing. But hey, a got damn Ferris wheel!
I'm all for more public greenspace, especially on the East side, but it need not always be "developed."

Bluebonnet? That sucks if it's closing. I need to go play

44 minutes ago, Updawg said:
3 hours ago, old white guy said:
Meanwhile, the golf course down the street is closing. But hey, a got damn Ferris wheel!
I'm all for more public greenspace, especially on the East side, but it need not always be "developed."

Yep. Contract for water with the city expires in January and not getting renewed. 

1 hour ago, Updawg said:
4 hours ago, old white guy said:

Yep! I have some great memories playing that course. I hope they find a way to keep it open. 

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

that area does not have the road infrastructure to support any large facility there.  only 2 ways in and out and each only has one lane each way.  

Austin isn't known for proactively developing infrastructure (especially transportation) to prepare for growth. We like to build splashy big projects and then act surprised when it's a clusterfuck.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I tell ya, golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate

Fun fact: In the early 1800s before parks became a thing after Olmstead, Americans used cemeteries in much the same way we use parks today, but that's neither here nor there in this discussion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Fun fact: In the early 1800s before parks became a thing after Olmstead, Americans used cemeteries in much the same way we use parks today, but that's neither here nor there in this discussion.

I didn't know that; interesting.  One of my favorite things to do when I'm riding my motorcycles out in BFE, is to stop at old, historical cemeteries, though. 

7 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Austin isn't known for proactively developing infrastructure (especially transportation) to prepare for growth. We like to build splashy big projects and then act surprised when it's a clusterfuck.

Like the ongoing highway access construction to ABIA, which opened 21 years ago. 
Progressive Austin ftl.

30 minutes ago, Iceman said:

That's all Austin is...

Yes. Austin is nothing but a giant tent city now, filled with the street-shitting homeless living in Hoover camps. A city that somehow has cash on hand to turn a mud-filled "lake" into a respectable regional destination.

Amarillo, on the other hand, is a virtual paradise for folks like Chad Briscoe who come from Pampa to spend his $5 at United. Sure, their knock-off Market Street version of Central Market/Whole Foods is decent shopping, but it still doesn't compare to the overcrowded HEB I have down the street.

Don't get me wrong -- I love West Texas. But I don't have to make up bullshit to justify where I don't want to live.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

"Austin... it's better that Amarillo?"

Lolz.  At least Amarillo doesn't have to insist upon itself.

No one's insisting upon anything. A muddy pond east of town is going to get fixed up. That's all.

Let us know when Lake Meredith is full again.

4 hours ago, Updawg said:
23 hours ago, chitwood said:
Yep. Contract for water with the city expires in January and not getting renewed. 

Why aren't they renewing it? That's too bad. I need to get out there and play it soon

Well, it's not clear that Bluebonnet Hill ownership/management has lifted a finger to even try to renew it. 

On 10/4/2019 at 7:00 PM, gsoda3 said:

I like it. Turns it into a destination. But am I going to lose my gun club?

Is Austin capable of creating such a destination?  That’s what bugs me.  Most of the “destinations” in Austin, and I use that term loosely, were already around or attached to something else, and grew into what they are organically.    This is on a scale they haven’t tried before.