Kansas City BBQ

Horns1

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Celebration of brisket isn’t Texan bravado. It’s what you do, and you do it best.

The idea that everything else anywhere else is dogshit is.

I legit get a kick out of Texan bravado. It’s obnoxious at first, but becomes endearing over time. Pride has its upsides.

I tried to explain this to you earlier but either I didn’t do a very good job or you aren’t listening.  This conversation has nothing to do with Texas bravado.  As someone who’s lived both places, I can assure you with 100% certainty that the best Texas BBQ (with or without brisket) is far superior to the best Kansas City BBQ...and it’s not even very close.  KC’s best is equal to Texas’ average.  Anyone who thinks otherwise either hasn’t had Texas’ best BBQ or is a Kansas City homer who refuses to take their blinders off.  There are a lot of both types of people.  Clearly you are one of them.

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I tried to explain this to you earlier but either I didn’t do a very good job or you aren’t listening.  This conversation has nothing to do with Texas bravado.  As someone who’s lived both places, I can assure you with 100% certainty that the best Texas BBQ (with or without brisket) is far superior to the best Kansas City BBQ...and it’s not even very close.  KC’s best is equal to Texas’ average.  Anyone who thinks otherwise either hasn’t had Texas’ best BBQ or is a Kansas City homer who refuses to take their blinders off.  There are a lot of both types of people.  Clearly you are one of them.

You explained it clearly.  I just disagree with your take.

I don't really have a dog in this fight.  I'm from neither Kansas City nor Texas.  I have family and friends in both places, and visit both somewhat regularly.  I've had great BBQ in both Texas and Kansas City.  I think Texas is the absolute gold standard for brisket.  Outside of brisket and sausage -(I just don't get that wound up about sausage as BBQ), I would take KC.

Preferring one style to another isn't bravado, but the opinion that the best BBQ in KC is equal to average BBQ in Texas is an opinion that is likely only held by Texans.  That's really my only point. 

Edited by Al_4_ISU

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't really have a dog in this fight.  I'm from neither Kansas City nor Texas.  I have family and friends in both places, and visit both somewhat regularly.  I've had great BBQ in both Texas and Kansas City.  I think Texas is the absolute gold standard for brisket.  Outside of brisket and sausage -(I just don't get that wound up about sausage as BBQ), I would take KC.

Preferring one style to another isn't bravado, but the opinion that the best BBQ in KC is equal to average BBQ in Texas is an opinion that is likely only held by Texans.  That's really my only point. 

Where is the best BBQ place you’ve had in Kansas City?  And the best BBQ place you’ve had in Texas?

Edited by Landomatic

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Where is the best BBQ place you you’ve had in Kansas City?  And the best BBQ place you’ve had in Texas?

I think Q39 is the best BBQ I've had in KC.  Jack Stack is a high quality meal experience as well.

Best BBQ I've had in Texas was a small set up in Austin on the day of an ISU/UT football game.  These folks didn't have a sit down location, they were just catering the tailgate, and they fucking killed it.  Ridiculously good brisket.  I have absolutely no idea what their name was.  I went to a very good place in north DFW metro as well (don't remember name).  I've had bad BBQ in Houston at a place in a strip mall parking lot, and I thought Angelo's in Ft. Worth was real fucking average.

I'll probably never go to Franklin's, because I detest waiting hours for stuff.  From what I can tell, outside of that, there's next to no consensus on what the best Texas BBQ joints are.  I plan to get back to Austin in the next winter or so, with the wife, and would absolutely be open to suggestions for places that will change my infidel mind.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think Q39 is the best BBQ I've had in KC.  Jack Stack is a high quality meal experience as well.

Best BBQ I've had in Texas was a small set up in Austin on the day of an ISU/UT football game.  It was a small group that just catered, and they fucking killed it.  Ridiculously good brisket.  I have absolutely no idea what their name was.  I went to a very good place in north DFW metro as well (don't remember name).  I've had bad BBQ in Houston at a place in a strip mall parking lot, and I thought Angelo's in Ft. Worth was real fucking average.

I'll probably never go to Franklin's, because I detest waiting hours for stuff.  From what I can tell, outside of that, there's next to no consensus on what the best Texas BBQ joints are.  I plan to get back to Austin in the next winter or so, with the wife, and would absolutely be open to suggestions for places that will change my infidel mind.

So you have not had the best BBQ in Texas.  I rest my case.

I've lived in the KC metro for over 9 years now. I miss Texas bbq and it's my favorite, but it's also what I grew up on. Nothing comes close to the brisket or beef ribs. I've eaten at every bbq place in KC and there is good stuff around here. Joe's ribs are some of the best around and the burnt ends in multiple places are outstanding. Places like Gates or Arthur Bryants are equivalent to someplace like Rudy's, imo. Solid but nothing to drive out of your way for. Q39, Joe's and some others are high quality, but it is a unique style. I eat Texas bbq every chance I get and it will always be home, but to say KC doesn't have any good bbq is just wrong. 

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hey I get it, I just don't get that wound up about burnt ends as BBQ, they're fine but not otherworldly or anything, and that's really the only thing the general public proclaims KC does "better" and that's arguably because few places in Texas bother to do them at all.  It's really just a subcategory of brisket and we've already established Texas does brisket better.  Way, way better.

So I'm genuinely interested to know, what are all of these other BBQ options you're preferring in KC, over Texas? Texas brisket is clearly better, and you've admitted you don't care about sausage.  So what else is there, that you prefer in KC over Texas?

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Best BBQ I've had in Texas was a small set up in Austin on the day of an ISU/UT football game.  These folks didn't have a sit down location, they were just catering the tailgate, and they fucking killed it.  Ridiculously good brisket.  I have absolutely no idea what their name was.  I went to a very good place in north DFW metro as well (don't remember name).  I've had bad BBQ in Houston at a place in a strip mall parking lot, and I thought Angelo's in Ft. Worth was real fucking average.

Why are you weirdly asserting there's no "consensus" as if that's some reason to think there's only one good BBQ place in Texas, and it's one that you haven't even bothered to try?  There's no consensus on the best places in KC either, not that it matters.

There doesn't need to be a consensus because there are tons of great places in Texas.  Heck, there are tons of great ones in the Austin area alone, take your pick.  LaBBQ, Brown's, Mickelthwait, Leroy and Lewis,  Terry Black's, Brotherton's, John Mueller Black Box, Louie Mueller in Taylor.  Newcomer Interstellar up near my hood is also quite good.  And that's all just in the Austin area and doesn't include Snow's in Lexington, Black's in Lockhart, Buck's in Galveston, and numerous places in Houston and Dallas that folks say are good though I haven't had the pleasure.

36 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Hey I get it, I just don't get that wound up about burnt ends as BBQ, they're fine but not otherworldly or anything, and that's really the only thing the general public proclaims KC does "better" and that's arguably because few places in Texas bother to do them at all.  It's really just a subcategory of brisket and we've already established Texas does brisket better.  Way, way better.

So I'm genuinely interested to know, what are all of these other BBQ options you're preferring in KC, over Texas? Texas brisket is clearly better, and you've admitted you don't care about sausage.  So what else is there, that you prefer in KC over Texas?

Why are you weirdly asserting there's no "consensus" as if that's some reason to think there's only one good BBQ place in Texas, and it's one that you haven't even bothered to try?  There's no consensus on the best places in KC either, not that it matters.

There doesn't need to be a consensus because there are tons of great places in Texas.  Heck, there are tons of great ones in the Austin area alone, take your pick.  LaBBQ, Brown's, Mickelthwait, Leroy and Lewis,  Terry Black's, Brotherton's, John Mueller Black Box, Louie Mueller in Taylor.  Newcomer Interstellar up near my hood is also quite good.  And that's all just in the Austin area and doesn't include Snow's in Lexington, Black's in Lockhart, Buck's in Galveston, and numerous places in Houston and Dallas that folks say are good though I haven't had the pleasure.

He’s clearly just spouting off about shit he knows nothing about.  He admittedly hasn’t tried Texas’ best BBQ.  Not even close it doesn’t sound like.  Some dude’s tailgate, a “very good place in north DFW metro” (I live in Dallas and that’s not even a thing - what is that, like Denton?  There are no good/great BBQ places in Denton that I’m aware of) some shitty stuff in a Houston strip mall and Angelos in Ft Worth.  But he thinks he’s had Kansas City’s best so that makes him an expert.

As I said earlier, anyone who doesn’t know Kansas City BBQ is inferior to Texas BBQ either A) hasn’t tried Texas’ best BBQ or B) is a Kansas City homer who spent their whole lives hearing the words “KC Masterpiece” and believes that.  I suspect our little cyclone friend is C - all of the above.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I've lived in the KC metro for over 9 years now. I miss Texas bbq and it's my favorite, but it's also what I grew up on. Nothing comes close to the brisket or beef ribs. I've eaten at every bbq place in KC and there is good stuff around here. Joe's ribs are some of the best around and the burnt ends in multiple places are outstanding. Places like Gates or Arthur Bryants are equivalent to someplace like Rudy's, imo. Solid but nothing to drive out of your way for. Q39, Joe's and some others are high quality, but it is a unique style. I eat Texas bbq every chance I get and it will always be home, but to say KC doesn't have any good bbq is just wrong. 

I don’t think anyone’s saying they don’t have anything good.  I’m just saying on the whole, their best is pretty much equal to our average.  I know you know this, but a ton of people consider Gates and Arthur Bryant’s to be some of Kansas City’s best.  Admittedly, I’ve never had Q39 (must have come along after I moved) but I’ve tried Joe’s and it was just slightly better than Rudy’s.  So even if Q39 is other worldly, that gives them 1 truly great place to like 10 in just in Austin alone?  Seem like the whole scene there is pretty much the definition of average as compared to here.

My point on consensus is that it’s impossible for me to give an answer that would make anyone think I’ve had good Texas BBQ. I definitely, but even if I had, you would poopoo my opinion because I’m not from Texas, and THAT is really my entire point in this discussion- Texans are not capable of being objective about BBQ outside of Texas.

Every response to me in this thread is proof positive. The goal posts were shifted to critique my expertise, but I never claimed to be an expert. It’s just an attack on an unpopular opinion. My point is that the belief that Texas buries KC is confined to Texas. No one else thinks that; most Texans do.

The entire thing is completely Quixotic on my part - I might as well be talking politics, but fuck, sometimes fighting with windmills is fun.

6 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

This is the correct answer to the thread’s original question. Go to Q39 and have a good meal/good BBQ. I’ll eat Jack Stack almost every visit to KC with no shame. I’m not a big brisket guy, so my take is probably sacrilege though.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My point on consensus is that it’s impossible for me to give an answer that would make anyone think I’ve had good Texas BBQ. I definitely, but even if I had, you would poopoo my opinion because I’m not from Texas, and THAT is really my entire point in this discussion- Texans are not capable of being objective about BBQ outside of Texas.

Every response to me in this thread is proof positive. The goal posts were shifted to critique my expertise, but I never claimed to be an expert. It’s just an attack on an unpopular opinion. My point is that the belief that Texas buries KC is confined to Texas. No one else thinks that; most Texans do.

The entire thing is completely Quixotic on my part - I might as well be talking politics, but fuck, sometimes fighting with windmills is fun.

People in KC insist their BBQ is better than Texas, are you admonishing them for their arrogance as well?  

And I'm certainly not attacking your expertise, but you're the one that stated that outside of brisket, you'd go with KC BBQ.  You dismissed sausage as something you don't care about at the same time.

I'm similarly dismissing burnt ends as something I don't care about, so aside from that, what are these other BBQ staples you prefer in KC over Texas?  

People in KC insist their BBQ is better than Texas, are you admonishing them for their arrogance as well?  
And I'm certainly not attacking your expertise, but you're the one that stated that outside of brisket, you'd go with KC BBQ.  You dismissed sausage as something you don't care about at the same time.
I'm similarly dismissing burnt ends as something I don't care about, so aside from that, what are these other BBQ staples you prefer in KC over Texas?  

100%. Anyone from KC who would shit on Texas is an idiot. Texas has great BBQ - I just don’t think it’s an exclusive license.

Dismiss burnt ends, but I love them and they factor into my equation. KC has better ribs and pork in my experiences. Texas has better brisket and sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you're not talking about brisket, then well fuck you

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The James Beard Foundation also disagrees with you.  And they're not located in Texas.

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

The James Beard Foundation also disagrees with you.  And they're not located in Texas.

I like Al and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I do think he's appropriating some authority and trying to speak for a group that he does not represent.

When I go to New York, there are plenty of places trying to do Texas-style BBQ.  I've never been to one attempting to do KC style.  I spend a lot of time out in the Bay Area in California and I'm constantly being dragged by the locals to restaurants that proclaim they are Texas-style (one of them was even really, really good), but I've never had someone take me to a KC-style place in California.

Not saying they're not out there, they might be, but it's pretty obvious there are people around the country, outside of the state of Texas, that hold up Texas BBQ well above KC.  Saying "no one else thinks that" is factually incorrect and it's also an appeal to an authority that does not exist.

I like Al and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I do think he's appropriating some authority and trying to speak for a group that he does not represent.
When I go to New York, there are plenty of places trying to do Texas-style BBQ.  I've never been to one attempting to do KC style.  I spend a lot of time out in the Bay Area in California and I'm constantly being dragged by the locals to restaurants that proclaim they are Texas-style (one of them was even really, really good), but I've never had someone take me to a KC-style place in California.
Not saying they're not out there, they might be, but it's pretty obvious there are people around the country, outside of the state of Texas, that hold up Texas BBQ well above KC.  Saying "no one else thinks that" is factually incorrect and it's also an appeal to an authority that does not exist.

I do see a lot of places trying to do Texas style (specifically a brisket emphasis). It’s very hot nationally and for good reason - ITS REALLY GOOD.

Kansas City has really good BBQ too. It might not be as good as the best in Texas, but it’s top end is definitely ahead of the Texas average. Saying the best thing in KC is merely Texas average is homerism/bravado, IMO. But it’s your home and I’m a visitor here, so I don’t expect agreement. I’m not an expert, never claimed I was, and I’m absolutely a fan of Texas BBQ.

And, we’re all arguing opinion as fact. I have no proof of any assertion I’m making, because it doesn’t exist.

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You’re much nicer and more eloquent than me.  I think he’s just talking out his ass about something he knows nothing about.  And keeps doubling down on it rather than just admitting he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  Because it’s more fun and easier for him just to say...dur well Texans are gonna Texan because bravado and stuff.

He’s essentially saying he fucked the best pussy in Kansas and it was a 7.  And he fucked a couple 6s in Texas, therefore Kansas has better pussy.  And nobody outside of Texas thinks Texas has better pussy than Kansas.  All of which, I can sure you, also couldn’t be farther from the truth.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I do see a lot of places trying to do Texas style (specifically a brisket emphasis). It’s very hot nationally and for good reason - ITS REALLY GOOD.

Kansas City has really good BBQ too. It might not be as good as the best in Texas, but it’s top end is definitely ahead of the Texas average. Saying the best thing in KC is merely Texas average is homerism/bravado, IMO. But it’s your home and I’m a visitor here, so I don’t expect agreement. I’m not an expert, never claimed I was, and I’m absolutely a fan of Texas BBQ.

And, we’re all arguing opinion as fact. I have no proof of any assertion I’m making, because it doesn’t exist.

We just happen to have a shitload more data points to back up our “opinion” than you do.  So much so, that it almost becomes fact.

Here, I will restate my position if it helps you...

There might be 1-2 decent BBQ places in Kansas City, but most would be considered very average by Texas standards.  And they have nothing there even close to our best.  And anyone who doesn’t think that has either never had good/great Texas BBQ or is a Kansas City BBQ homer.

There...can we all agree on that?

And by the way, you can’t remove brisket or any other product when making this argument.  That’s like comparing steakhouses and saying, well sure one does ribeye and filet better than the other, but the rest is better somewhere else.  Or like saying, yeah take away those 3 touchdowns and we would have won that game.

We just happen to have a shitload more data points to back up our “opinion” than you do.  So much so, that it almost becomes fact.
Here, I will restate my position if it helps you...
There might be 1-2 decent BBQ places in Kansas City, but most would be considered very average by Texas standards.  And they have nothing there even close to our best.  And anyone who doesn’t think that has either never had good/great Texas BBQ or is a Kansas City BBQ homer.
There...can we all agree on that?
And by the way, you can’t remove brisket or any other product when making this argument.  That’s like comparing steakhouses and saying, well sure one does ribeye and filet better than the other, but the rest is better somewhere else.  Or like saying, yeah take away those 3 touchdowns and we would have won that game.

I would 100% agree that Gates and Bryant’s are average in Texas. I just happen to also think they’re pretty average in KC as well.

Give me your best of Texas list, and I’ll make a point of working through when I visit. Maybe you’ll change my mind. I’m open minded, but the best I’ve had in Kansas City - while not better than Texas, is certainly above the Texas average (average being the mid point between the best and the worst) I’ve experienced.

I’m not an expert, I have fewer Texas data points, I’m speaking completely from my anecdotal experience both on what I’ve had, and how other people view it.

Over the years I've tried almost all the KC places listed in this thread.  For years folks have talked up Gates and Arthur Bryant's, and I found them both to be extremely underwhelming.  I'm not joking or attempting to be rude when I compare those places to cafeteria BBQ in Texas.  The overly sauced, deli-sliced meats are very much like we see in our cafeterias in Texas.  Or, alternatively, what the grandmas put together at a church social.  I thought Joe's was better but the comparison to Rudy's again is appropriate.  Their ribs were the best thing they had and they were very average by Texas standards, it's not a knock because Rudy's ribs are tasty enough as well, but also very average by Texas standards.

I'll readily admit I haven't been to Q39.  I looked it up on the web and it appears to be a lot less like a standard BBQ shack and more of an upscale BBQ experience?  Many of the offerings sounded very tasty.  I'd gladly try it the next time I'm in KC, I suspect I could find something I really liked.

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would 100% agree that Gates and Bryant’s are average in Texas. I just happen to also think they’re pretty average in KC as well.

Give me your best of Texas list, and I’ll make a point of working through when I visit. Maybe you’ll change my mind. I’m open minded, but the best I’ve had in Kansas City - while not better than Texas, is certainly above the Texas average (average being the mid point between the best and the worst) I’ve experienced.

I’m not an expert, I have fewer Texas data points, I’m speaking completely from my anecdotal experience both on what I’ve had, and how other speople view it.

You can check my list a few posts back of my recs for Austin, plus Snow's in Lexington, Black's in Lockhart, and Buck's in Galveston.  I don't know the Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio places so someone else would have to chime in.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Over the years I've tried almost all the KC places listed in this thread.  For years folks have talked up Gates and Arthur Bryant's, and I found them both to be extremely underwhelming.  I'm not joking or attempting to be rude when I compare those places to cafeteria BBQ in Texas.  The overly sauced, deli-sliced meats are very much like we see in our cafeterias in Texas.  Or, alternatively, what the grandmas put together at a church social.  I thought Joe's was better but the comparison to Rudy's again is appropriate.  Their ribs were the best thing they had and they were very average by Texas standards, it's not a knock because Rudy's ribs are tasty enough as well, but also very average by Texas standards.

I'll readily admit I haven't been to Q39.  I looked it up on the web and it appears to be a lot less like a standard BBQ shack and more of an upscale BBQ experience?  Many of the offerings sounded very tasty.  I'd gladly try it the next time I'm in KC, I suspect I could find something I really liked.

This is exactly my experience to a T.  Thought Joes was their best and thought it was Rudy’s level from top to bottom.  Maaaaaybe slightly better, but not much.

38 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You can check my list a few posts back of my recs for Austin, plus Snow's in Lexington, Black's in Lockhart, and Buck's in Galveston.  I don't know the Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio places so someone else would have to chime in.

I can speak to Dallas and easily put Cattleack in the conversation with any of the best in the country.  Pecan Lodge can be a little inconsistent, but it’s better than anything I’ve had in Kansas City on its off days and far far better on it’s good days.  Hutchins in McKinney is definitely better than Joes in KC.  I’ve also heard from people I trust that Panther City in Ft Worth is phenomenal...if we’re doing DFW, though I’ve yet to try it.