Mo Bamba

Machinator

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

BigO, I would like to see him pattern his game like Capella assuming his team has a reliable point guard. Once he gets stronger, I agree with you. He can become one of the best in the NBA.

I would to. I don't want him to fall in love with his jump shot and never roll hard off the pick 'n roll like what Ibaka has evolved into. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

56 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

BigO, I would like to see him pattern his game like Capella assuming his team has a reliable point guard. Once he gets stronger, I agree with you. He can become one of the best in the NBA.

He and Capela are different players. Bamba wants to handle the ball, shoot the ball, and spend ample time on the perimeter. The comparisons to low post players like Capela and Gobert are off base.

44 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

He and Capela are different players. Bamba wants to handle the ball, shoot the ball, and spend ample time on the perimeter. The comparisons to low post players like Capela and Gobert are off base.

This isn't college. He will do what the coaches tell him to do. They aren't going to select him for what he can do on the perimeter. Thats nonsense.

Just now, realgreggym said:

This isn't college. He will do what the coaches tell him to do. They aren't going to select him for what he can do on the perimeter. Thats nonsense.

Actually, that’s precisely why he’s so captivating. He seems to be a lock to be Capela’s equal defensively, but it’s the idea that he can be so much more than that with his length and athleticism. As with all of these type of guys, their ceiling depends on how well they can shoot. Mo Bamba turned 20 three weeks ago and has a metric ton of room to grow as a player, and he’s spent his offseason tirelessly working to do just that, including copious amounts of perimeter shooting. That’s always been the plan, and that’s the plan going forward.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i think he sees himself more in the mold of embiid than capela or gobert.

• Like 1

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

Most definitely. They’ve been bonding lately and Embiid has become somewhat of bigger brother/mentor type of guy for him. Not that I’m breaking news here, just repeating what’s been going on. The two have similar capabilities, even though they aren’t the same as athletes.

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Unfortunately Shaka didn't emphasize Mo rolling hard to the basket. I listened to a Dallas Mavericks focused podcast a few weeks ago and they said Mo only had 29 hard rolls off of screens all season, which is an absolute travesty. He'll be utilized differently in the NBA. For one there's more space because of the illegal defense rules and the length of the 3 pt line, but also the pick n hard roll is a big part of the NBA game. With Mo's wingspan this will be an area focus as he develops his shot so he'll look a lot more like Capela despite his desire to roam the outside. As he gains prominence in the league he'll be at risk of becoming an Ibaka or Enes Canter who almost never roll are off screens at this stage in their careers. 

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

He's gonna have to get his weight up. Beyond that. at this point in his career Bamba doesn't seem to have the natural aptitude for post play. He's more like a new age David Robinson who is going to look to turn and face in the post rather than being a technician with his back to the basket on the few post he gets a game. 

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Actually, that’s precisely why he’s so captivating. He seems to be a lock to be Capela’s equal defensively, but it’s the idea that he can be so much more than that with his length and athleticism. As with all of these type of guys, their ceiling depends on how well they can shoot. Mo Bamba turned 20 three weeks ago and has a metric ton of room to grow as a player, and he’s spent his offseason tirelessly working to do just that, including copious amounts of perimeter shooting. That’s always been the plan, and that’s the plan going forward.

No one is saying that he isn't going to grow. I want him near the basket and let the 3 point guys do their thing. If there is a situation where he can take a 3, thats one thing but to make that part of his offense isn't why he's going to be drafted so highly. 

35 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

No one is saying that he isn't going to grow. I want him near the basket and let the 3 point guys do their thing. If there is a situation where he can take a 3, thats one thing but to make that part of his offense isn't why he's going to be drafted so highly. 

Eh. I don't see Bamba ever being a really great post player, post possessions are much less efficient, and offenses are moving away from having a guy in the post every play.  Bamba needs a legitimate 3 point shot, so he can space the floor on offense at times. Otherwise, he'll be a liability and find himself getting taken off the floor, like other bigs in the playoffs. Not saying he needs to stand on the 3 point line every single possession, but that needs to be an aspect of his game. I dont see Bamba ever being the focal point of an offense posting up down low and with more teams focusing on spacing, it's not realistic to have Bamba near the basket on offense all the time.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

48 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Eh. I don't see Bamba ever being a really great post player, post possessions are much less efficient, and offenses are moving away from having a guy in the post every play.  Bamba needs a legitimate 3 point shot, so he can space the floor on offense at times. Otherwise, he'll be a liability and find himself getting taken off the floor, like other bigs in the playoffs. Not saying he needs to stand on the 3 point line every single possession, but that needs to be an aspect of his game. I dont see Bamba ever being the focal point of an offense posting up down low and with more teams focusing on spacing, it's not realistic to have Bamba near the basket on offense all the time.

He has a huge wingspan and can move rather well. Thats why you want to teach him to set a screen and roll to the basket like Harden and Capella. No one in the league can stop him once he gets proficient at that. You're making my point. I don't want him posting low  until he gets stronger. Capella was a big part of the Rockets offense and Bamba can be the same. And lets not forget that there are 2 ends of a court. He can be a monster on defense and thats more important than working on your 3 point shot.

9 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

He has a huge wingspan and can move rather well. Thats why you want to teach him to set a screen and roll to the basket like Harden and Capella. No one in the league can stop him once he gets proficient at that. You're making my point. I don't want him posting low  until he gets stronger. Capella was a big part of the Rockets offense and Bamba can be the same. And lets not forget that there are 2 ends of a court. He can be a monster on defense and thats more important than working on your 3 point shot.

I agree. He will absolutely be a monster in the pick n roll and should be used there a ton, but you're post said you want him near the basket, which is what I was responding to.  He can set PnRs just as easily coming from the corner 3 spot as down low.  Capella was a big part of hte offense and Bamba can serve that role, but Capella would be better off with a 3 point shot, which is why the idea of Bamba developing his shot is so enticing.

Of course Bamba's defense is more important than his 3 point spot. I don't think you could find anyone who would disagree with that, but those aren't mutually exclusive, so I'm not sure what the point is of your last sentence. Bamba can work extensively on his shot and his defense doesn't have to suffer one bit.

Also, I don't think Bamba will ever be that great of a post player. He didn't have good hands at UT. He dropped passes and let guys knock the ball away way too easy, he hasn't shown a great feel with post shots, and his lower body strength will never be a plus attribute. I'm just not seeing post offense as much of his value proposition at any point in his career, save a nice little half hook, or similar shot, he can utilize from time to time when matched up on a small guy.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

57 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I agree. He will absolutely be a monster in the pick n roll and should be used there a ton, but you're post said you want him near the basket, which is what I was responding to.  He can set PnRs just as easily coming from the corner 3 spot as down low.  Capella was a big part of hte offense and Bamba can serve that role, but Capella would be better off with a 3 point shot, which is why the idea of Bamba developing his shot is so enticing.

Of course Bamba's defense is more important than his 3 point spot. I don't think you could find anyone who would disagree with that, but those aren't mutually exclusive, so I'm not sure what the point is of your last sentence. Bamba can work extensively on his shot and his defense doesn't have to suffer one bit.

Also, I don't think Bamba will ever be that great of a post player. He didn't have good hands at UT. He dropped passes and let guys knock the ball away way too easy, he hasn't shown a great feel with post shots, and his lower body strength will never be a plus attribute. I'm just not seeing post offense as much of his value proposition at any point in his career, save a nice little half hook, or similar shot, he can utilize from time to time when matched up on a small guy.

I want him near the basket when a shot goes up not necessarily to post up. He doesn't have the strength to do so. I don't want Capella shooting 3s. I want Harden, Paul, Tucker, Gordon, Anderson, etc  shooting 3s. When he gets stronger, he won't have the same problems as he had in college. 

14 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Anthony Davis, I think..... I guess you could say Embiid modeled his game after AD so it's the same, but it's what I think Bamba wants his career trajectory to look like..... He already has more offensive versatility than Capela.

His media tour the last couple days has worked on me.   I know he won't fall that far but I would be more than happy if he did fall to the Magic   Seems like an extremely smart kid that will work hard and improve and won't cause the franchise trouble off the court.

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

His media tour the last couple days has worked on me.   I know he won't fall that far but I would be more than happy if he did fall to the Magic   Seems like an extremely smart kid that will work hard and improve and won't cause the franchise trouble off the court.

David Aldridge did a mock today and has Bamba falling to 6....... and the Magic taking Sexton.  Chicago took Bamba at 7.  Seems most mocks have Orlando taking a guard.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

David Aldridge did a mock today and has Bamba falling to 6....... and the Magic taking Sexton.  Chicago took Bamba at 7.  Seems most mocks have Orlando taking a guard.

Yeah, I keep seeing that.    Seems silly to trade Peyton and then draft another PG not much different than him.    Draft for positional need is not a good plan for a team as shitty as ORL.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Yeah, I keep seeing that.    Seems silly to trade Peyton and then draft another PG not much different than him.    Draft for positional need is not a good plan for a team as shitty as ORL.

absolutely agree.  none of the teams in top 7 should give 1 fuck about positional need.  just take the best player on your board.

Those are two people who just found out the Magic play in the State of Florida.  

They had a good run back between 2007-2012.  Maybe they'll recapture some of that.

How long are you under contract as a rookie draft pick in the NBA?  Can you leave after 5 years like MLB if you're not traded first ?

i went to an orlando board and half of the people are in love with the pick and the other half are incomprehensibly stupid and uninformed, predicting that Bamba "could be another John Henson or Thon Maker." i dunno what the hell these idiots were expecting at pick 6, but god shines down upon them and have them more than they deserve.

I just looked at the Magic roster, what a mess.  If they sign Gordon to the max (which they should), they are surprisingly close to the luxury tax. Augustin is my fav Longhorn ever but they need a young starting PG. the choices out there arent very appetizing (Schroder, Brandon Knight, who else?)

9 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I just looked at the Magic roster, what a mess.  If they sign Gordon to the max (which they should), they are surprisingly close to the luxury tax. Augustin is my fav Longhorn ever but they need a young starting PG. the choices out there arent very appetizing (Schroder, Brandon Knight, who else?)

You think Aaron Gordon should be a max player or you think they'll no choice but to max him out as another team will in RFA?  We just went over how few teams have cap room, who do you think would max him out?

Not sure they have the salary cap to do it, but I would look to bring in Isaiah Thomas and maybe Avery Bradley.  Kyle Anderson would also be a nice, versatile add.  Ilyasova wouldn't be terrible. 

Looks like they have ~$15M to spend, so that isn't going to go very far.  Avery Bradley would cost $7M+.  Anderson would be similar.  IT would probably be in the $10M+ range.

As an aside, Bismack Biyombo's contract is horrible.  Paying your 6'9 Center who gets 5 and 5 and has never made a 3 in an NBA game $17M a year seems like a recipe for failure.

12 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Not sure they have the salary cap to do it, but I would look to bring in Isaiah Thomas and maybe Avery Bradley.  Kyle Anderson would also be a nice, versatile add.  Ilyasova wouldn't be terrible. 

Looks like they have ~$15M to spend, so that isn't going to go very far.  Avery Bradley would cost $7M+.  Anderson would be similar.  IT would probably be in the $10M+ range.

As an aside, Bismack Biyombo's contract is horrible.  Paying your 6'9 Center who gets 5 and 5 and has never made a 3 in an NBA game $17M a year seems like a recipe for failure.

They're over the cap right now until they figure out what to do with Gordon (his cap hold is 16+m and Vucevic).  They could also work with one of them on a S&T to land a guard but most of their assets are depressed (except their FAs).  Tough to be a shitty team with multiple draft busts and who signed Biyombo to 72 million guaranteed.  They'll probably have to sell low on Vucevic or let Gordon go..... They already gave up on Hezonja who was a top 5 pick.