Mo Bamba

Machinator

he actually got real PT tonight (25 minutes) and scored 19 on 7/12 shooting while also grabbing 8 boards.  i get why they played vucevic such big minutes but it is absolutely ridiculous that before tonight he was averaging 16 minutes per game since the trade deadline.  they spent the #6 pick on him, they might ought to let him play and see what he's got.

41 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

@shadow_operativeYes, Bamba is the worst pick of ‘18 draft considering he was #6. He’s a rather large bust. I never was impressed with his game (at all) but thought someone would be able to develop him in the league. I’m not sure Shaka would have done shit for him. Bamba just isn’t that good. 

Bagley - #2

image.thumb.png.5a65bf8bc680d7aa9e956093df81d8ab.png

Mo - #6

image.thumb.png.b2db8e1b5bd689328bc50cf1e964db0b.png

Carter Jr - #7

image.thumb.png.4bce96f311c6ac21b74181845c9c4dd5.png

Looking at their stats this season, on a constant minutes basis, Bamba compares just fine. He simply isnt getting enough minutes. I'm not calling him a great player, but I think "biggest bust of the draft" is a bit of a stretch.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

what were people saying about julius randle halfway through his 3rd year in the league?

these guys are drafted so fucking young and they need time (and minutes) to develop.  bamba is 22 years old.

Mo has never been as naturally talented or as versatile as Randle, but, your point still stands- people wrote Randle off, and now in his age 26 season he's fucking awesome. and, while Mo might not have as high an upside as JR, on defense and rebounding alone he should have like a fifteen year career or something, so who's to say that he's not kicking ass three years from now.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

In the sense that he’s a total moron. The Association is behind the NFL, but that’s it. 

@shadow_operativeYes, Bamba is the worst pick of ‘18 draft considering he was #6. He’s a rather large bust. I never was impressed with his game (at all) but thought someone would be able to develop him in the league. I’m not sure Shaka would have done shit for him. Bamba just isn’t that good. 

Bagley is easily the worst player in that lottery and might not be on a roster next season. Plus he was taken before Luka.

Bamba has issues but the biggest is a lack of minutes. Big men need game minutes specifically on the offensive end. Most bigs before getting to the league do nothing but catch lobs and have post up sets. The NBA is an entirely different animal for big especially from a screening and movement standpoint. It’s definitely premature to call him a bust. He needs to be much better but he will have an NBA career as a backup center in all likelihood. He’s good enough defensively already to stick around especially as he adds more bulk and can more easily defend the traditional bigs.

Edited by hobbes2702

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

Bagley - #2

image.thumb.png.5a65bf8bc680d7aa9e956093df81d8ab.png

Mo - #6

image.thumb.png.b2db8e1b5bd689328bc50cf1e964db0b.png

Carter Jr - #7

image.thumb.png.4bce96f311c6ac21b74181845c9c4dd5.png

Looking at their stats this season, on a constant minutes basis, Bamba compares just fine. He simply isnt getting enough minutes. I'm not calling him a great player, but I think "biggest bust of the draft" is a bit of a stretch.

When you consider that Bagley was taken with Luka on the board that makes Bagley the biggest bust, imo.  B/c people (at least Sacto- and it wasn't universal that they committed a horrible blunder) thought he was going to be better than Luka.  And I think most people strongly suspected Luka was going to be awesome.  

5 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

Birch was just waived freeing up a lot of minutes. Excited to see what Mo can do with some regular PT.

They traded for Carter as part of the Vucevic deal. He's going to get the majority of the playing time. Bamba should ask to be traded.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

They traded for Carter as part of the Vucevic deal. He's going to get the majority of the playing time. Bamba should ask to be traded.

I’m aware of the trade but Birch was eating a lot of available minutes. Let’s see what Mo does when he consistently gets 20+ minutes off the bench.

• 3 weeks later...

i don't see Bamba as an All Star player, no matter who had drafted him. the gulf between the likes of Jokic, KAT, Embiid, AD and Bamba is huge. that's not even to mention bigs like Gobert, Bam, Christian Wood, Sabonis, Drummond, Julius Randle, Ayton, and more. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't know. If he stays in the East and continues to improve he may have a chance. 

his ball handling is what will have to improve the most if he wants to approach all star levels of play. i don't have a lot of doubt that he will one day be a reliable spot up three point shooter, but essentially every great big in today's game can handle the rock. of all the guys i listed in my last post, only Drummond has no handle. Ayton doesn't handle the ball as well or as often as the other guys listed, but pretty much everyone else on that list can either handle the rock or really pass it, if not both. Mo will have to become more versatile if he wants to be an All Star.

oh yeah- Sabonis, who plays in the East and who has done this since returning from injury:

779BFA9A-744A-4276-94F6-59F023414103.jpeg

wasn't even named an all star this year, but an all star reserve. and i didn't even remember Mo's former teammate Vucevic. haven't mentioned Giannis for that matter either. we are living in the greatest era for NBA big men by a million miles. the talent pool out there is *deep*. 

Edited by shadow_operative

All of that is fair, but he has the potential to be a more disruptive defender than a lot of those guys. If you look at Bamba’s per 36 numbers vs Rudy Gobert at the same age, they are very similar on defense but Bamba is much better offensively. Gobert is a 2-time all star and DPoY. I can see him leading the league in blocks if he gets 35 mpg.

This is what is pretty depressing for me, as someone who wants Mo to be awesome, and wishes bad things upon all aggy:

Same draft, #6 vs #27, really sharp kid vs total knucklehead...

image.thumb.png.dd696efbc005a67b8dda284760d12e3e.png

Honestly never thought these two would be comparable in any way at this level.

Edited by Mittens

Here are some comps to 1st team All-NBA Defense and DPoY players at age 22.  Using per 36 numbers...

image.png.24dbeb9ebff15d462d1ebd7af6a88710.png

image.png.3fd78460a6f2e0571496680e939054fa.png

image.png.c1480561e8992ca2c413e074de9dfe13.png

image.png.b8ca404220400f94f16ed0cfc0fde832.png

image.png.ef1ccc3e28f48828432ae6d929e3be4f.png

My point is that Bamba is still really early in his career for a big guy. And he came into the league particularly skinny and under-developed.  AND he landed in a situation that was just about a worst case for his development.  I'm not willing to write him off just yet.  Dude needs minutes.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm definitely not a bball wiz like you dudes, but I thought Luka was going to be crazy good just from his highlights. But I also thought Bagley would be a decent player too just because he was pretty dominant college players. Maybe Bagley needs to be on a different team to get the most out of him. 

I wasn't even sure how Bamba would fare. He seemed like a risk/reward type player, but from what I've seen (which is very little, mind you) he seems decent. 

On 5/3/2021 at 11:05 PM, shadow_operative said:

and i didn't even remember Mo's former teammate Vucevic. haven't mentioned Giannis for that matter either. we are living in the greatest era for NBA big men by a million miles. the talent pool out there is *deep*. 

The guys today are great, but there was a time when Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem and Ewing were all right around their peaks, not to mention Karl Malone, Barkley, and Shawn Kemp.  That era definitely more than stacks up with what we have now. For sure the game has changed -- it's ridiculous that Embiid, Jokic, AD and Giannis have three point range and have the skills that they do -- but that early to mid 90s era was loaded.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The guys today are great, but there was a time when Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem and Ewing were all right around their peaks, not to mention Karl Malone, Barkley, and Shawn Kemp.  That era definitely more than stacks up with what we have now. For sure the game has changed -- it's ridiculous that Embiid, Jokic, AD and Giannis have three point range and have the skills that they do -- but that early to mid 90s era was loaded.

true that. i guess i'm more speaking to sheer depth of great/super talented big men today. whoever the 10th or 15th best big man is today, he's infinitely more skilled and productive than the 10th or 15th best big man from the early 90's. again, Damontas Sabonis didn't even make the Eastern Conference all star team this year, which is just insane to think about. hell, did Julius Randle make it? i don't think he did either, and he could finish top 5 or 6 in MVP voting this year.

• 2 months later...

Orlando Magic GM just put Bamba "on notice".  And I think it's a contract year for him.  Can't wait to see how things go.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1248-in-the-zone-byte-sized-30599435/episode/magic-gm-john-hammond-84761333/?cmp=web_share&embed=true

The new Orlando head coach (Jamahl Mosley) just got hired a couple days ago and is already working with Mo.

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People are way too quick to call Bamba a bust.  Getting a great player at the #6 pick isn't actually very common.  If he ever makes an All-Star game, he will be one of only 3 players picked 6th in the draft to accomplish that feat in the last 20 years.  

I still think he has a very good shot at landing on some All-Defense teams or possibly even earning DPoY.  

Here are other 6 picks:

• 2019 Jarrett Culver – Minnesota - Meh so far
  • 2018 Mohamed Bamba – Orlando - Meh so far 
  • 2017 Jonathan Isaac - Meh so far
  • 2016 Buddy Hield – New Orleans - Average starter on bad team
  • 2015 Willie Cauley-Stein – Sacramento - Career role player
  • 2014 Marcus Smart – Boston - 2x All-Defense. Solid contributor
  • 2013 Nerlens Noel – New Orleans - Career role player
  • 2012 Damian Lillard – Portland Trail - All NBA, Future HOF
  • 2011 Jan Vesely – Washington - Bust. Out of 3 years
  • 2010 Ekpe Udoh – Golden State - End of bench player
  • 2009 Jonny Flynn – Minnesota - Bust. Out of NBA in 3 years
  • 2008 Danilo Gallinari – New York - Solid starter for many years
  • 2007 Yi Jianlian – Milwaukee - Bust. Out of NBA in 5 years
  • 2006 Brandon Roy – Minnesota - All-NBA
  • 2005 Martell Webster – Portland - Career role player
  • 2004 Josh Childress – Atlanta - Career role player
  • 2003 Chris Kaman – L.A. Clippers - 1x All-Star, solid contributor
  • 2002 Dajuan Wagner – Cleveland - Bust. Out in 4 years
  • 2001 Shane Battier – Memphis - 2x All-Defense. Solid contributor
  • 2000 DerMarr Johnson – Atlanta - Career role player
  • Hook 'Em 3

Also let's look at some other big men at 22 (Bamba last year):  

• Mo Bamba - 8.0 PTS, 5.8 TRB, 1.4 BLK in 15.8 min
  • Rudy Gobert - 8.4 PTS, 9.5 TRB, 2.3 BLK in 26.3 min
  • Tyson Chandler - 8.0 PTS, 9.7 TRB, 1.8 BLK in 27.4 min
  • Ben Wallace - 3.1 PTS, 4.8 TRB, 1.1 BLK in 16.8 min (age 23)
  • Deandre Jordan - 7.1 PTS, 7.2 TRB, 1.8 BLK in 25.6 min
  • Chris Kaman - 9.1 PTS, 6.7 TRB, 1.1 BLK in 25.9 min
  • Marc Gasol - 11.9 PTS, 7.4 TRB, 1.1 BLK in 30.7 min (age 24) 

Mo had comparable stats to all of these guys playing HALF the minutes.  Everyone is going to be shocked at his "development" this year, when the reality is that he just hasn't been getting enough minutes to show what he can do. 

Don't be surprised when he leads the NBA in blocks in the next year or two.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1