Mo Bamba

Machinator

After touring private schools for my then 4 year old one of the things that I realized about a lot of those type of intuitions is that beyond just a great curriculum is that they can help instill confidence in kids at a young age. I was struck by how kids as young as 5 carried themselves and at times were partaking or even leading parts of the tour of their respective schools. As long as the kid is earnest and takes advantage of what they have to offer the opportunities are boundless. It's obvious that Bamba took heed of the opportunities he's had. He's attended fairly elite schools since late elementary and is an extremely polished 19 year old as a result.

• 1 month later...

Mark. It. Down-

Two years from now when Mo Bamba is hitting threes and handling the ball on the perimeter a bunch of lukewarm UT hoops fans who barely pay attention to the program when we aren’t great will all come running out of the woodwork asking why we didn’t win more with this guy, or asking why he didn’t play like this at UT. Bamba’s skill set projects very well for the more open NBA game. He’s going to be great.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

Mark. It. Down-
Two years from now when Mo Bamba is hitting threes and handling the ball on the perimeter a bunch of lukewarm UT hoops fans who barely pay attention to the program when we aren’t great will all come running out of the woodwork asking why we didn’t win more with this guy, or asking why he didn’t play like this at UT. Bamba’s skill set projects very well for the more open NBA game. He’s going to be great.
Yep people don't realize how much more space is available in the NBA compared to college. Assuming he doesn't have any injury issues I expect Mo to have top 3 career out of this draft class.

I think hes a better version of Gobert.  Im hopeful he can continue to develop offensively.  I think he has a good feel for the game

I ask myself can he be on the floor with these last 4 teams and i think he can

I want him in Dallas running PnR with DSJ

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I kind of wonder if Boston would try to get into the top five to get Bamba. He would make a great replacement for Horford in a couple of years.

That's a great idea..... and they have the ammo for it.  Not like he couldn't contribute immediately either.  Probably have to trade KI or Gordon, who they may want to move.... which is crazy when you think they just got those guys a year ago.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's a great idea..... and they have the ammo for it.  Not like he couldn't contribute immediately either.  Probably have to trade KI or Gordon, who they may want to move.... which is crazy when you think they just got those guys a year ago.

Where does this come from? I have seen several posters say it? Why does anyone think that Boston would move GH or KI for anyone other than Unibrow?

Edited by hobbes2702

16 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

nah.  capela is getting a max offer sheet from some team and the rockets are going to match it.  i don't really care which team that is.  what i don't want is mo bamba on a team i don't like for 10 years.

I keep hearing Phoenix.

15 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Where does this come from? I have seen several posters say it? Why does anyone think that Boston would move GH or KI for anyone other than Unibrow?

Boston owns the better of the Kings and 76ers pick in 2019. Obviously that will be a high pick from the Kings, probably top 5 at least. Give that and Rozier to move up to top 5, and grab Bamba, Doncic, Ayton, Jackson or Bagley, and you got a pretty damn good player for the future. No reason to move KI or GH for that. The 2019 draft doesn't look to be that great, but you never know how others grade it. Doncic in their system would be insane, but I think he is going #1. Bamba needs time to develop, and you know he would get the best opportunity under the Celtics coaching staff and a great, mobile bigman like Horford. Though Jackson may be more Horford-like between them, since he has a decent jumper and some range. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Boston owns the better of the Kings and 76ers pick in 2019. Obviously that will be a high pick from the Kings, probably top 5 at least. Give that and Rozier to move up to top 5, and grab Bamba, Doncic, Ayton, Jackson or Bagley, and you got a pretty damn good player for the future. No reason to move KI or GH for that. The 2019 draft doesn't look to be that great, but you never know how others grade it. Doncic in their system would be insane, but I think he is going #1. Bamba needs time to develop, and you know he would get the best opportunity under the Celtics coaching staff and a great, mobile bigman like Horford. Though Jackson may be more Horford-like between them, since he has a decent jumper and some range. 

Yea I understand moving Rozier and a pick. I also understand moving brown and a pick. I just don’t see anyway thy even consider moving KI or GH. Those are their two best players and if they move GH after a year they will never get a big signing again.

18 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Cost.  You have about 4/5 assets that could get you to 4 or 5 in the draft.  No offense, but Rozier doesn't get you there especially with the teams at 4 and 5 in Memphis and Dallas.  Both have PGs and actually a lot of guards.  So if you're Boston, who would you rather move?  KI, Hayward, Brown, or Tatum???  After this playoff run..... I'm thinking the first two as the latter two are cost controlled on rookie contracts.  KI, Horford and Brown are up for new extensions close to each other.  Hayward and Tatum the same, so eventually, Boston will have to chose between these assets.  If you want to go get another superstar or get another future asset in the top 5, you'll most likely have to move one of those.....

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Cost.  You have about 4/5 assets that could get you to 4 or 5 in the draft.  No offense, but Rozier doesn't get you there especially with the teams at 4 and 5 in Memphis and Dallas.  Both have PGs and actually a lot of guards.  So if you're Boston, who would you rather move?  KI, Hayward, Brown, or Tatum???  After this playoff run..... I'm thinking the first two as the latter two are cost controlled on rookie contracts.  KI, Horford and Brown are up for new extensions close to each other.  Hayward and Tatum the same, so eventually, Boston will have to chose between these assets.  If you want to go get another superstar or get another future asset in the top 5, you'll most likely have to move one of those.....

Moving KI or GH for a draft pick doesn’t make sense. The only possibility is for a superstar.

38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Moving KI or GH for a draft pick doesn’t make sense. The only possibility is for a superstar.

Probably and I understand the opinion but if they get to the Finals and play a competitive series with Marcus Smart sticking to Steph Curry like glue, then perhaps they look at their pieces and salaries due and feel comfortable in their wings of Brown, Tatum, Smart, and Morris, who plays a 3/stretch 4.  Maybe their inability to really protect the paint stressed with only really Baynes (who is UFA) of value (Monroe is a below the rim player who's value is offense), and feel to take their team to the next level, they would prefer to let their young wings grow, re-sign Smart, extend Morris, and get a true young rim protector.  Now they're faced with decisions because Smart is probably getting 14/15 in the market.  Gordon Hayward is a really good player but it was very debatable he's truly a max contract value player.  They could move him to free up salary to do all of the above and engineer a trade up in the lottery to get a Bamba.... Then you're lineup looks like this:

Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Bamba or Irving, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford.  Bench is:  Morris/Bamba, Smart, Rozer, Yabusele and then some veteran filler. 

There's only so many minutes at that wings now that Brown and Tatum have blossomed this year.  You could probably run out a all wing lineup with KI and Horford but as good as Al is, he's not Draymond and will be 32 and you'd be asking Tatum to defend some PF's.... Now, Dutchrudder and I were just throwing around some ideas and nobody is saying this is going to become a reality but if you're looking at the pieces, the salaries, and contract coming due along with roster construction and how to jump to the next level, then it's an idea that may warrant some merit.  Then again, maybe teams up top don't want Hayward coming off a horrific injury at 31 million so there's that too...

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably and I understand the opinion but if they get to the Finals and play a competitive series with Marcus Smart sticking to James Harden like glue, then perhaps they look at their pieces and salaries due and feel comfortable in their wings of Brown, Tatum, Smart, and Morris, who plays a 3/stretch 4.  Maybe their inability to really protect the paint stressed with only really Baynes (who is UFA) of value (Monroe is a below the rim player who's value is offense), and feel to take their team to the next level, they would prefer to let their young wings grow, re-sign Smart, extend Morris, and get a true young rim protector.  Now they're faced with decisions because Smart is probably getting 14/15 in the market.  Gordon Hayward is a really good player but it was very debatable he's truly a max contract value player.  They could move him to free up salary to do all of the above and engineer a trade up in the lottery to get a Bamba.... Then you're lineup looks like this:

Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Bamba or Irving, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford.  Bench is:  Morris/Bamba, Smart, Rozer, Yabusele and then some veteran filler. 

There's only so many minutes at that wings now that Brown and Tatum have blossomed this year.  You could probably run out a all wing lineup with KI and Horford but as good as Al is, he's not Draymond and will be 32 and you'd be asking Tatum to defend some PF's.... Now, Dutchrudder and I were just throwing around some ideas and nobody is saying this is going to become a reality but if you're looking at the pieces, the salaries, and contract coming due along with roster construction and how to jump to the next level, then it's an idea that may warrant some merit.  Then again, maybe teams up top don't want Hayward coming off a horrific injury at 31 million so there's that too...

went ahead and fixed that for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Mo Bamba will work out for the Suns on Saturday and the Mavericks on Monday.

The Suns seem to be locked into Deandre Ayton at No. 1 overall; however, the Mavs at No. 5 is very much a possibility for Bamba. He averaged 12.9 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game as a freshman at Texas last season. Bamba has showcased an improved jumper in recent workouts and boasts a mammoth 7-foot-10 wingspan.

Haven’t read it yet, but my own assessment is that more and more nba people are not only actually seeing him in person, but getting to know him, and he’s blowing them away. My guess is that his draft stock rising is due way more to seeing and speaking to him than it is anything he did with a basketball. So smart, so confident yet humble, so physical gifyed, and comfortable speaking with old white dudes. These guys are all crushing hard on Mo right now.

edit: actually I did read that already, and it sounds like Mo is in the right track. Give em hell Mo!

Edited by Goo Punch

21 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Haven’t read it yet, but my own assessment is that more and more nba people are not only actually seeing him in person, but getting to know him, and he’s blowing them away. My guess is that his draft stock rising is due way more to seeing and speaking to him than it is anything he did with a basketball. So smart, so confident yet humble, so physical gifyed, and comfortable speaking with old white dudes. These guys are all crushing hard on Mo right now.

edit: actually I did read that already, and it sounds like Mo is in the right track. Give em hell Mo!

Everything you say here applies, but not to who you think it does. The NBA scouts have been watching him for at least 3 years now. They've talked to him and gotten a chance to see him up close. Everything you're saying above actually applies to the NBA media. They're the one's who are suddenly becoming familiar with him and as a result are enthralled by him. It's their impression that is being relayed here. His draft stock is rising in their eyes. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, BigOrange1 said:

...and if he develops a reliable jump shot, he has a very real chance to be the best player out of this draft.

BigO, I would like to see him pattern his game like Capella assuming his team has a reliable point guard. Once he gets stronger, I agree with you. He can become one of the best in the NBA.