Band of Brothers

Sbbruin

Theres been  some threads about BoB on this and that other site, and they always turn out to be awesome discussions. Ive seen the series 6 or 7 times now, try to find time to watch it once a year. Definitely one of, if not, my favorite series ever. Incredibly shot. enjoy watching your first time through

I believe it may be my favorite piece of television ever. I have watch many times and shared with my kids. It is a masterpiece. 

Folding in the interviews with real soldiers brings emotion and investment. Just so well done. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Par4 said:

I believe it may be my favorite piece of television ever. I have watch many times and shared with my kids. It is a masterpiece. 

Folding in the interviews with real soldiers brings emotion and investment. Just so well done. 

Listening to these guys tell their stories makes me feel like a sack of shit.  Can’t imagine going through what they went through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Just started watching this.  Can’t believe I haven’t seen it yet, as I’m a huge WWII buff.  Two episodes in.  Digging it.

This is what happens when you start with "Hanover Street" and "Pearl Harbor"  Not every WWII show has to have a romantic element to it.  Some of them are even based on actual events and people.  ;)

If you haven't seen it yet, when you're done with BoB, you may want to check out The Pacific.  Another great show that tells the stories of the Marines in WWII.  Word of advice though; don't expect it to be like BoB, or you'll be disappointed.  Whereas BoB follows the story of a single unit from boot camp, through deployment, the D-Day landings, across France to the end of the war, The Pacific follows the story of three individual Marines and their individual journeys during, and in the immediate aftermath of the war.  It may seem a bit disjointed at first, but by the latter part of the series the individual story lines start to converge and it all makes sense.  Very powerful show, and many, many dusty moments.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

If I remember correctly, there was a landing in the Pacific (Ocean, not movie) that was larger than D-Day, just didn’t receive the acclaim. 

D-Day was larger( the largest in history.)

All deserve mention...

Edited by Iceman

Operation Overlord was the largest seaborne invasion of the entire war. It involved some 5000 ships, 10000 aircraft, and 6 divisions, all numbering about 176000. Okinawa, the largest seaborne invasion of the Pacific War, involved some 60000 men and 1300 ships.

The initial invasion of Okinawa was bloodless, but more casualties, over 35000, were suffered by the Americans on Okinawa over a period of 5 months, compared with the 10000 or so casualties suffered during Overlord. However, D-Day eclipses Okinawa in almost every other aspect, including logistics.

D-Day was most certainly the larger invasion.

what most people dont realize for BoB was that the premier of the 1st & 2nd episodes aired on Sept 9th, 2001.

I mean those first 2 episodes were balls out awesome, and yes, I watched them on Sept 9... but 2 days later when the whole world changed, they really took on a whole new meaning.

then watching on Sept 16th was a total gut punch because at that point we knew we were about to send tens of thousands of soldiers to Afghanistan, and probably lose several thousand of them in the process.

It was really sobering watching the shows in the weeks after Sept 11th. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, RPM said:

There might be some hair splitting involved here. D-Day was a joint Allied operation. The Pacific landings were primarily US, so maybe Okinawa was the largest US landing. 

All the landings were different in their own way.  I think Iwo Jima was the one that took the most lives.  

I concede that D-Day was a bigger overall operation.  It was a staging area for the invasion of a continent and remained a major "seaport" until real seaports could open.  Whereas Okinawa was an attempt to secure a very small island.

But, as far as actual amphibious invasions, Okinawa put more men ashore than D-Day on the day of invasion.  And do not discount the size and might of the 5th Fleet of the U.S. Navy in April 1945.  That was the most powerful naval force in history. 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Yeah, comparing the operations/ sacrifices in both theaters for higher value is like asking if you'd rather get kicked in the nuts or date one of Vic's cholas.

From all accounts, Okinawa was like getting kicked in the nuts by one of Vic's cholas.  

Got a chance to meet Buck Compton a few years ago.  Very nice man.  What pissed me off was this....  He was a the Ft. Lewis PXfor a book signing.  There were maybe 4-5 of us standing around listening to him answer questions.  Every few minutes someone would come up and get a booked signed.  I was there around 30 minutes and really enjoyed. It.  A week later Stone Cold Steve Austin was at the PX.  The line was out the door and around the building.  Those are some misplaced priorities.

From who did Ambrose plagiarize that?

There is that. But he still did more to preserve and promote the cause of the preservation of WWII history than pretty much anybody. It’s tough getting these vets to open up about such a traumatic experience and he did that. He also was a large part of establishing the WWII museum in NOLA.

I concede that D-Day was a bigger overall operation.  It was a staging area for the invasion of a continent and remained a major "seaport" until real seaports could open.  Whereas Okinawa was an attempt to secure a very small island.
But, as far as actual amphibious invasions, Okinawa put more men ashore than D-Day on the day of invasion.  And do not discount the size and might of the 5th Fleet of the U.S. Navy in April 1945.  That was the most powerful naval force in history. 

Hardly ever mentioned is The Battle of Luzon. They landed around 175,000 initially. It’s said to be the largest net causality battle(KIA+injured+disease) of WWII.

Over 17,000 Americans are still buried there, which I believe is more than anywhere but Arlington, VA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

There is that. But he still did more to preserve and promote the cause of the preservation of WWII history than pretty much anybody. It’s tough getting these vets to open up about such a traumatic experience and he did that. He also was a large part of establishing the WWII museum in NOLA.

That museum is awesome

22 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

If I remember correctly, there was a landing in the Pacific (Ocean, not movie) that was larger than D-Day, just didn’t receive the acclaim.

Depends on definition of larger.  However the landing on Saipan was about 2-3 weeks after D-Day. Off the top of my head it probably was smaller in terms of men landing but much larger in terms of ships and men required.  It is very interesting to note that the US was able to support two major invasions on opposite sides of the world in same month

Got a chance to meet Buck Compton a few years ago.  Very nice man.  What pissed me off was this....  He was a the Ft. Lewis PXfor a book signing.  There were maybe 4-5 of us standing around listening to him answer questions.  Every few minutes someone would come up and get a booked signed.  I was there around 30 minutes and really enjoyed. It.  A week later Stone Cold Steve Austin was at the PX.  The line was out the door and around the building.  Those are some misplaced priorities.

Stone cold wouldve stunned nazi ass onhis way to hitler.

Whats actually sad is i think all of the BoB guys are dead due to just old age if not other things. 2001 doesnt seem that long ago but i know weve lost a lot of them since then. I think dick winters died in 2011. Thank god they were able to get some of them on the series

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Whats actually sad is i think all of the BoB guys are dead due to just old age if not other things. 2001 doesnt seem that long ago but i know weve lost a lot of them since then. I think dick winters died in 2011. Thank god they were able to get some of them on the series

This site (which hasnt been updated in 3 years) lists the known survivors.   Malarky, I think, was the last of the men featured prominently  in the series to pass in Sept 2017.   not that any of the rest didnt earn their spots,  a quick google search of the names shows that only 3 or 4 are left, and I think Philip Perugini is the last Toccoa man alive

4 hours ago, Ths71 said:

Hardly ever mentioned is The Battle of Luzon. They landed around 175,000 initially. It’s said to be the largest net causality battle(KIA+injured+disease) of WWII.

Over 17,000 Americans are still buried there, which I believe is more than anywhere but Arlington, VA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point.  Kind of the nature of the Pacific campaign.  One massive amphibious operation after another.  The logistical requirements were less in some respects than D-Day and Sicily and Torch, because the land warfare was different in character.  On the other hand, the real staging areas for the operations were hundreds or thousands of miles away, not tens or hundreds.

The Pacific reflects this in that the units broke up and reassembled for the next invasion and battle instead of staying mostly together as it moved toward Germany as in BoB.

• Like 1

This site (which hasnt been updated in 3 years) lists the known survivors.   Malarky, I think, was the last of the men featured prominently  in the series to pass in Sept 2017.   not that any of the rest didnt earn their spots,  a quick google search of the names shows that only 3 or 4 are left, and I think Philip Perugini is the last Toccoa man alive

Malarky- thats slang for bullshit, right?

Sir yes sir!

One of my favorite lines...good post

I’m about halfway through watching it with my 16 yr old son (I’ve seen it several times). He read the book this year. I think it’s an important thing for us to watch together.

And at the end, the final piece of dialogue with Winters, he’ll see his old man cry. I cry every damned time.

“No. But I served in a company of heroes.”

Every. Damned. Time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I’m about halfway through watching it with my 16 yr old son (I’ve seen it several times). He read the book this year. I think it’s an important thing for us to watch together.
And at the end, the final piece of dialogue with Winters, he’ll see his old man cry. I cry every damned time.
“No. But I served in a company of heroes.”
Every. Damned. Time.

This. Many surviving heroes had a hard time seeing themselves as such because so many of their fellow soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice.

I believe the single greatest take-away from BOB was making ordinary guys like Bill Guarnere, Babe Hefron and Carwood Lipton household names.  Lipton was my favorite character on the series, but he died a month after the original run on HBO.

Post BOB I would check wildbillguarnere.com every so often looking for opportunities to meet and speak with other Easy Company members, but stopped checking when Guarnere died and the website was eventually taken down.  His grandson's website is still up ginoguarnere.com . But, it has only a photo of an elderly Wild Bill and a brief summary of his death.  

BoB is an amazing piece of television. Great book too. My son is 11 and not quite ready for it, I don't think. We will watch it together at some point. "Why We Fight" gets me every damn time. Spears is a bad ass too -- though there are a ton of them in the series.

I only watched The Pacific once when it was first aired. I wasn't nearly as captivated by it. I can say, based on what I know happened in the Pacific, it would've been much more preferable serving in the European theater.

The difference in Pacific and European wars was the enemy. The nazis, as horrible as they were, somewhat held to the rules of war in battle and taking prisoners. The worst they had were the SS, which made up a small portion of their military.

With the Japanese, they gave zero fucks about rules of war. Their entire military was like the SS. They were fanatics acting on the word of God (Hirohito).

• Hook 'Em 1

I got to meet R. V. Burgin (big Marine character in The Pacific) with about 8 other guys to discuss his book, Islands of the Damned a few years back.

I called referred to he and his squad as "soldiers" at one point.

He corrected me, although I think he would have rather killed me.

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

The difference in Pacific and European wars was the enemy. The nazis, as horrible as they were, somewhat held to the rules of war in battle and taking prisoners. The worst they had were the SS, which made up a small portion of their military.

With the Japanese, they gave zero fucks about rules of war. Their entire military was like the SS. They were fanatics acting on the word of God (Hirohito).

Both sides.

Jerries>Japs>Comanche

Edited by tantric superman