What is that banger everyone is talking about? (big hits and significant songs in pop music)

Celery Man

I can't think of a good name for the thread I'm thinking of, and not sure if this will get legs.  The premise is, there are songs that are big hits and become culturally significant, and there are probably people on here who are interested in hearing them or at least knowing about them but get limited exposure to top 40 radio or to what "the kids are talking about" or whatever.  And a thread where we talk about songs like that would be nice.  Old Town Road is probably a good example, the one that made me think of this (and is, in fact, a banger) is Lizzo's "Truth Hurts".  I only heard of this song and gave it a listen because I saw a thing on Twitter about how the song was released, died a quick death, and then a few years later unexpectedly became a big hit and launched Lizzo's actual career.  And then the past few home games they've piped it into the stadium and panned across the student section singing along and going nuts

I'd love it if people posted other similar songs here when they emerge.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 7:18 PM, Goredho said:

Kids have traditionally been the way parents have stayed abreast of popular music, but my kids just like auto tuned crap set to Minecraft screen captures videos and baby motherfuckin’ shark.

That was my kids for a while.  But now my 12yo daughter listens almost exclusively to 80s music.  I couldn't be more proud.

• Like 1

The other day, my daughter's cheerleading group was dancing to some new song I'd never heard, but damn if they didn't all know the song and dance. 

Me: "was that Old Time Road?" 

Her: "seriously?" 

Me: "what?" 

Her: "that wasn't the song... and it's old TOWN road" (for the record I had the wrong song anyways)

I've never felt so old. I had immediate visions of my dad having the same conversation with me in 1991. 

When we got home I put the new Tool album on and was like "do you know this shit? huh? .. yeah, it's new. Get it together." 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good idea because the kid's are how I stay somewhat current to this stuff too. I said in the Into the Spiderverse thread that my kids watching the movie so much got me liking his Sunflower song (and no offense but I didn't like the song posted above). The Lizzo song is again not for me either.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:36 AM, Bogeywon said:

Big fan of post Malone. Just got into his music about 3 months ago and his new album is really good.

him with ozzy

I tried to listen to Post Malone a few months back and I couldn't make it through a minute of any song.  I just don't get this kind of music at all.  I've always been "old" when it comes to music, but it's accelerating lately.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m a single, straight male & that Lizzo song makes me want to break up with my boyfriend. Certified banger. 

My girlfriend loves this song. I really see nothing wrong with it. It's catchy and definitely not terrible by any means. When I actually went and looked for it, I was surprised this song is actually 2 years old. Someone said it became famous because of a clip on TikTok. And it took off and now that artist is raking in the money.

• 10 months later...