Cosmi should starts

Kdub

On 10/6/2019 at 11:43 AM, Hozz said:

That was a genius level play design.  I have watched football for forty years and I don't recall seeing anyone ever do that...leak the left tackle from his normal formation to the flat to catch a backwards pass from across the field.  Crazy shit.  Cosmi looked great executing and finishing the play.  I hope they work him into some tackle eligible goal line packages.

That was some straight up Rugby Shit right there in honor of the Rugby Union (15s) World Cup going on right now. 

Big uglies running the ball and pushing it in for a "try".

7 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

like this ?

Great throw by the OT !!

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Were those OL falling on a fumble in the endzone? Does that count as a rushing TD? If it is because they lined up an OL in the backfield in some kind of jumbo package, then that doesn't count as an OL rushing TD. He wouldn't be an OL, but a running back.

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

Were those OL falling on a fumble in the endzone? Does that count as a rushing TD? If it is because they lined up an OL in the backfield in some kind of jumbo package, then that doesn't count as an OL rushing TD. He wouldn't be an OL, but a running back.

Similarly, tackle eligible should not count as an OL reception.  Cuz he's an end.  Just watched the replay.  When watching live, I assumed he was eligible but it turns out he was not the end.  Live, I was wondering it why it was a lateral, lot less risky if it's a forward pass, but yeah gotta lateral or handoff to an ineligible receiver.

As an aside, I've always liked how Herman runs a lot of unbalanced lines where the tackles are eligible and a "receiver" is not.  Causes lots of confusion on the defense as to who to cover.  And we'll send ineligible receivers downfield on passes behind the LOS.  I've been waiting for an eligible tackle to catch a ball.  Still waiting I guess.

• 1 month later...

Vote if you want to...

After carefully reviewing the many submissions we got across college football this season, we’ve prepared the final list of candidates for the 2019 Piesman Trophy. As a reminder, the requirements for this award are very simple - it’s designed to honor the greatest play in which a lineman does an un-lineman like thing, at any level of college football.

6. Samuel Cosmi, Texas

So does beating a defender around the corner and holding on to the ball while you get walloped as you score.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cross-posting from the off-season thread. Nice article about Cosmi in the Houston Chronicle yesterday. He's looking ripped. Couple of tweets embedded where you can see him working out side-by-side with former high school teammate Kenyon Green.

Link to the article

Spoiler
TEXAS SPORTS NATION // COLLEGE

UT’s Sam Cosmi a big lineman with a big future

Photo of Aaron Wilson
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle June 7, 2020 Updated: June 7, 2020 8:53 p.m.
UT’s Sam Cosmi lived every offensive lineman’s dream against West Virginia last season, scoring a touchdown off a lateral from QB Sam Ehlinger in the Longhorns’ 42-31 road victory.
UT’s Sam Cosmi lived every offensive lineman’s dream against West Virginia last season, scoring a touchdown off a lateral from QB Sam Ehlinger in the Longhorns’ 42-31 road victory.
Photo: Nick Wagner, MBO / Associated Press

Shoving a heavy sled across the artificial turf as if it were an overmatched 250-pound defensive player, University of Texas left offensive tackle Sam Cosmi maintains a low center of gravity and a serious look on his face.

Whether it’s leaping onto a box to build explosiveness during a full-body workout with veteran trainer and former NFL running back Derrick Blaylock at Armed Sports Performance or lifting weights, Cosmi is all-in all the time.

The son of Romanian immigrants, the towering Cosmi is a former Atascosita standout who plays the game with a nasty streak. Controlled aggression and a determined approach define the game of a gifted blocking anchor widely regarded as a future NFL first-round draft pick.

At 6-7, 310 pounds, Cosmi combines size, strength, mobility, intelligence and a strong knowledge of the game imparted by Longhorns offensive line coach Herb Hand and Atasocista offensive line coach Todd Moses.

Whether it was Cosmi stonewalling Jacksonville Jaguars first-round pass rusher and former LSU standout K’Lavon Chaisson when he was at North Shore or bulldozing into the end zone on a touchdown pass from quarterback Sam Ehlinger last season against West Virginia, the Humble native plays football with an edge.

“I’ve always had the mentality when it comes to someone across from me, you might be more talented or gifted or whatever, but I just go back to my fundamentals and technique; I just know I’m not going to be pushed around,” Cosmi said. “I’m going to push other guys around. I don’t like being tossed around, so I’m not going to let that happen. He might get me one play, but the next five, six plays, it’s going to be a dogfight.”

That’s how it has been for Cosmi ever since he began playing football after initially playing soccer as a kid. The son of Rodica and Comel Cosmi has made toughness his calling card from the time he was learning the game in his formative years.

That was taught by his parents, along with a strong faith.

“I think one of the biggest things my family instilled in me is working hard for everything and just having my faith in God,” Cosmi said. “One thing I have going toward the future: I’m very at peace with knowing that God has a path for me in everywhere I go. One other thing my parents taught me is never be a quitter. Everything I do, do as hard as you can and don’t quit.”

Texas offensive tackle Sam Cosmi and Texas A&M offensive lineman Kenyon Green, two former Atascosita standouts, training at Armed Sports Performance with former NFL running back and veteran trainer Derrick Blaylock at Armed Sports Performance in Atascosita.
Texas offensive tackle Sam Cosmi and Texas A&M offensive lineman Kenyon Green, two former Atascosita standouts, training at Armed Sports Performance with former NFL running back and veteran trainer Derrick Blaylock at Armed Sports Performance in Atascosita.
Photo: Aaron Wilson

Growing up, Cosmi played everywhere from fullback and running back to defensive line, safety and linebacker. By his sophomore year, he had outgrown all skill positions to become a full-time offensive lineman, and he’d go on to be a two-time all-district selection.

“I played pretty much everything growing up,” Cosmi said. “As I got bigger, that’s when I was grounded to be an offensive lineman. Those days were really fun. Growing up as a kid, I think coming into high school having a strict spot and developing my craft, that really helped out going into college as well.”

A redshirt junior this season, Cosmi briefly explored entering the NFL draft. Named second-team All-Big 12 last season as a sophomore after switching to left tackle and starting every game, Cosmi, like Ehlinger, submitted his name to the NFL College Advisory committee.

But Cosmi already knew he was coming back to school. The former freshman All-American feels like he has unfinished business in Austin.

“I just threw my name out there. I knew I was coming back,” Cosmi said. “I just wanted to see where I was. I know as a player I had a lot to learn with coach Hand. He’s taught me so much, and I still have a lot to learn from him.

“Going back with my boys, playing another year with them and seeing where we’re at and the potential we have, I’m really excited about that.”

Cosmi is highly respected by NFL scouts and general managers. Said one GM of Cosmi: “That guy is a stud. He has everything that you’re looking for.”

Cosmi graded out highly last season after shifting from right tackle to left tackle as the replacement for Calvin Anderson.

“Cosmi is a phenomenal athlete,” ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. “He has great feet and can also bowl over edge defenders in the run game. If he puts all of his talent together, he could be a top-10 pick.”

Cosmi has two more years of college eligibility but could declare for the NFL after next season depending on how everything goes this fall.

Cosmi studies several top NFL offensive linemen, including the Philadelphia Eagles’ Lane Johnson and the Dallas Cowboys’ Tyron Smith, along with former Cleveland Browns All-Pro left tackle Joe Thomas.

“There’s a lot of offensive linemen I look toward and try to imitate,” Cosmi said. “I see certain moves, especially when I’m watching NFL tape. There’s a lot of cool things I see that I say, ‘I can better my game.’ I’m enjoying watching these older guys and NFL pros.”

The Longhorns finished last season ranked 14th nationally in total offense (465.8 yards per game) and 17th in scoring offense (35.2 points per game). Cosmi is one of three returning starters across the offensive line, joining Derek Kerstetter and Junior Angilau.

Although the Longhorns didn’t get to have spring football due to the coronavirus pandemic, Cosmi is upbeat about their prospects heading into the season.

“I think when it comes to having that strong leadership, especially the offense, it’s been really good,” Cosmi said. “We’ve been on the same page when it comes to a lot of things. We’re going to be like one big, well-oiled machine going into this season.”

Photo: Aaron Wilson

Cosmi originally committed to the University of Houston when Tom Herman was coaching the Cougars. When Herman was hired by Texas, Cosmi followed him to Austin. It’s a decision he’s glad about.

“Coach Herman wants what’s best for the players. He’s always been a players-first program,” Cosmi said. “I respect him a lot for that. Coach Herman is one of the most intelligent guys when it comes to football. When you talk to him and pick apart his brain, I knew he was going to be a great coach. Coming into college, I put so much faith in going to UT and coach Herman.”

Training under the direction of Longhorns strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight and supplementing his workouts with Blaylock and former high school teammate Kenyon Green, a Texas A&M starting offensive lineman and All-Southeastern Conference freshman selection, Cosmi is constantly striving to improve. That includes flipping a 750-pound tire in his family’s backyard and eating five to six times a day to keep his nutrition on point.

Cosmi wants to weigh a solid 315 to 320 pounds after entering college somewhat undersized at roughly 260 pounds.

“I’ve just been focusing a lot on different aspects of training, the workouts Yancy has been giving me, and trying to build a little extra on that with Derrick,” Cosmi said. “That’s been really good. My core strength, I feel like that’s really good for an offensive lineman to have. And working on my mobility as well. The strength part comes with lifting weights. Flexibility, just being able to be flexible enough to put your body through certain things.”

Blaylock played for the Kansas City Chiefs with running back Priest Holmes and ran behind a formidable offensive line that included Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Brian Waters. Cosmi fits that kind of mold as far as potential.

“He’s very athletic, fast, strong, explosive, and just pushes people around on the field,” Blaylock said. “By him being smart, that’s going to take him a long way. You have a lot of guys with the athletic ability, but are they smart? Just talking to him, he’s smart. He studies. He’s just an all-around great player, great athlete.”

“The way he’s built — tall, slender but heavy — he’s strong. He has the perfect size, the perfect build and mindset and attitude. He will definitely be a great NFL player.”

An honorable-mention Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year selection, Cosmi has started 26 of 27 career games in college. He developed into a second-team all-state selection with what he was taught by Moses and his other high school coaches.

“I really enjoyed my high school days. I built some really good connections with guys I still have to this day,” Cosmi said. “Coach Moses, I still talk to him all the time, go to his house and hang out with him. He always knew how to get under my skin to where I could flip that switch on game day. I really appreciate everything I took away from high school and the people that helped me get here. I couldn’t have done it by myself.”

aaron.wilson@chron.com

twitter.com/aaronwilson_nfl

The OL gots some talent, looks as if.

Between Beck, Meh, and Warehime last year, it's a goddam miracle Hand was able to bring the OL as far along as he did. I believe they're gonna be a whole hell of a lot better this year, and I believe that Yurcich will work much better with Hand and they'll build an offense that will be far less predictable. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/2020-preseason-all-american-team-sporting-news/y4mqwb4u9a4b1dyvumhrxzniy

Sporting News recently released its preseason All-American teams where Cosmi appeared among the second-team offense. There was only first and second teams mentioned, therefore he was the only Longhorn included