Texas opens as a 10.5 point underdog v Oklahoma

TexasMan

51 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, Dallas OU Grad Sooner fan is a totally different person than the unwashed fat as fuck carny show masses that descend on our great city this weekend.   I'm amazed every year people that ugly go out in public.

Walking out of that stadium every year is like a Roseanne casting call. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, Dallas OU Grad Sooner fan is a totally different person than the unwashed fat as fuck carny show masses that descend on our great city this weekend.   I'm amazed every year people that ugly go out in public.

• Like 1

First 3 quarters: if i'm therm i tell TO to use a magic eight ball or some other random number generator that decides when he rushes 3 / drops 8 OR rushes 4 plays man and spies.  Make it totally random.  Literally ignore the score in the game or whatever Riley is doing.   Do it from the same formation every single down with the exception of short yardage or anything greater than 3rd and 20.  In my opinion blitzing is useless.  If we try to bring pressure they will just hold and not get called for it, and our secondary gets exposed to boot.

This game requires Sun Tzu / Art of War mensa type shit.  Now, we can't field punts, or manage clock at the end of halves and games, but one thing therm can do is manage a macro-strategic level.  He certainly knows how to turtle on a lead.

The number one goal should be to keep the defense off the field for as long as possible the first 3 quarters.  Keep everything in front of us and make them matriculate. We can and should match them to within a score over 3 quarters.  THEN and only then, turn TO loose and let him gamble, and let the dice fall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

In my opinion blitzing is useless.  If we try to bring pressure they will just hold and not get called for it, and our secondary gets exposed to boot.

This is my take, too. Keep everything in front of you, but make it all scrambled. Hurts only makes mistakes when the "obvious" reads turn out to be wrong. You can get him to run the wrong way, into the pressure, but if you try to bring the house, you'll more than likely get burned.

The few bad plays he had against KU, he mis-read pre-snap, and came close to panic. KU couldn't take advantage: Texas has to.

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Hurts is nowhere near the scrambler Murray is, but he's far more reliable, sturdy, and IMO a better manager and "big game" kind of guy. Murray's more talented, but I'd take Hurts any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'd rather be playing against Murray -- the odds of rattling him weren't all that great, but they were better than the odds of rattling Hurts. 

Agree.

Murray is the quickest, most elusive we have seen. We never seemed to get solid shots on him. No one did. 

Their line was better last year and that helped.  That line isn't the same this year.  I think we get to Hurts. When we do we have to hit him. Pressure and tackling is the key. 

One thought, Hurts doesnt have the Bama line hes used too against good opponents and the OU hasn't played a front like Texas. If Kansas can presure him...

I think this is the key to the game. 1. Get to him 2. How he handles the pressure.

We need Orlando to earn it on Saturday. 

Hurts is bigger and stronger, but

spacer.png

Hook'em 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

I think this is the key to the game. 1. Get to him 2. How he handles the pressure.

Orlando has done it to OU before. When his UH defense put the hurt on the Sooners, they got pressure all game long with 3 + 1, and the 1 came from a different angle every single down, all game long. And that OU line was better than this one.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Fucking autocorrect.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

First 3 quarters: if i'm therm i tell TO to use a magic eight ball or some other random number generator that decides when he rushes 3 / drops 8 OR rushes 4 plays man and spies.  Make it totally random.  Literally ignore the score in the game or whatever Riley is doing.   Do it from the same formation every single down with the exception of short yardage or anything greater than 3rd and 20.  In my opinion blitzing is useless.  If we try to bring pressure they will just hold and not get called for it, and our secondary gets exposed to boot.

This game requires Sun Tzu / Art of War mensa type shit.  Now, we can't field punts, or manage clock at the end of halves and games, but one thing therm can do is manage a macro-strategic level.  He certainly knows how to turtle on a lead.

The number one goal should be to keep the defense off the field for as long as possible the first 3 quarters.  Keep everything in front of us and make them matriculate. We can and should match them to within a score over 3 quarters.  THEN and only then, turn TO loose and let him gamble, and let the dice fall.

i dunno man. i get that idea in general but i think you just are somewhat contradicting yourself here by saying A) keep defense off the field and B) make them march down the field. they matriculate, and we are exhausted and frustrated, and they score anyway

but i think you need some 6 and even 7 man blitzes randomly too (not just 4 and 5 man rushes). i mean if they score, they score. at least its fast. you need to always be hitting the QB in the mouth and making him nervous. the goddamn LSU game was just painful to sit through as we half assed a blitz here and there got nowhere. they at the end we actually did an all out blitz and got burned. i think you need more random heavy blitzes to create negative plays. OU is going to execute on you. if you wait for them to F up you may be waiting a while and you will just tire that way. i say flip it on its head. you want your offense on the field so F it - hit the QB no matter what and just roll with the risk

Edited by staboner

3 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

3 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

You can say that again.

15 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

LOL JFC.

Stevenson: 29 car, 315y, 5 TD
Sermon: 45 car, 345y, 4 TD
Brooks: 25 car, 206y, TD

Total is 99 car for 866, looks like 8.6y a carry.

OU is averaging 7.9 yards per carry, #1 in the nation. #2 is Georgia at 6.8. (Texas is #42 at 4.6 ypc).

You. Have. Played. Nobody.

• Like 3

College Football Nerds Video:  Injuries and poor past 2019 statistical performances of Texas Defense have both guys predicting blOU wins by 11pts or more and slightly covering the spread.

Lots of good statistical data discussed for folks who enjoy nitty gritty technical data.  

Edited by LTtxfan

To help fire folks up... Nintendo Lovers - Enjoy 🤘

The Eyes of Texas

https://m.soundcloud.com/cuppy-cup/the-eyes-of-texas-8-bit-nintendo-school-song

Texas Fight

https://m.soundcloud.com/cuppy-cup/8-bit-nintendo-texas-fight-longhorns?in=cuppy-cup/sets/college-fight-songs-8-bit

Beat the He'll out of OU !!! 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Orlando has done it to OU before. When his UH defense put the hurt on the Sooners, they got pressure all game long with 3 + 1, and the 1 came from a different angle every single down, all game long. And that OU line was better than this one.

That UH Dline was probably better as well.

8 hours ago, BigSwingingD said:

Agree.

Murray is the quickest, most elusive we have seen. We never seemed to get solid shots on him. No one did. 

Their line was better last year and that helped.  That line isn't the same this year.  I think we get to Hurts. When we do we have to hit him. Pressure and tackling is the key. 

One thought, Hurts doesnt have the Bama line hes used too against good opponents and the OU hasn't played a front like Texas. If Kansas can presure him...

Hurts is bigger and stronger, but

spacer.png

Hook'em 

I've always loved this. Mostly, because Tyson's longtime trainer and friend, Cus D'Amato, knew that physicality was only a small part of the equation. Usually, both fighters were physically trained. It was unlikely that one man was going to be so superior in his training and ability that he would win the fight on those attributes alone.

A fight like this ends up being a mental one.

If Texas has an edge, it's that they know what's coming. LSU hit them hard. They had to get up off the canvas, put their marbles back in the jar, and compete. oSu showed them they can't let mistakes derail the mission. WVU made them play under a hostile crowd with raw players. Texas has been tested. They know the process works, and that when it gets ugly, trust your training and play the game.

How does OU react when pressed? When "the usual stuff" isn't working, what does Plan B look like?

If there is any reason that OU should be nervous, it should be from this comment from Sam after the Big 12 Championship Game: 

Goes without saying but this dude bleeds orange and will quite literally lay his body on the line to get us to the W. Oklahoma will not face a more determined player all year. Hurts is quite literally the opposite, he is some transfer implant that doesn't even know what this game is about. When the going gets tough, advantage Texas. 
  • Like 4

Normally, I'm all for treating any game like any other game.  Or say, "Its not about them its about us" blah, blah. That works most of the time especially when you have the edge in talent or are clearly the better team.  We have had more years than they have had, in this series, where we were just better.  This is not one of those years. 

We are evenly matched.  So, let this game get as emotional as we can.  Throw out the coach speak and allow, hell fan to flame the adrenaline.  This weekend is not an "In the Air Tonight" type of weekend.  This weekend is an AC/DC "Thunderstruck" type of weekend.  Texas SMASH those fuckers.   Grip it and rip it!  Hit somebody!  Then hit that BITCH again for good measure!!  

tenor.gif?itemid=13835803

• Like 7

Men, what we want to do is kill their will. You will find a way. Just put your tattoo all over 'em. The collisions are going to be fierce and the intensity is going to be severe because we're going to make it that way.

Fred Akers didn't know how to put together an offense, but he sure as hell knew how to string together the right words at the right time.

Texas is going to win this game. We are better on offense and defense than last year. They are not as good offensively and are marginally better on defense. Our Dline is significantly better while their offensive line is significantly worse. Our offensive line is much better while their Dline is only slightly better. Our skill is better across the board than last year while their skill is down slightly across the board. Texas wins.

I want Ossai rushing the passer on every single down. Dropping him into space when he is by far your best coming off the edge is idiocy. Rush 4 with Ossai off the edge and drop 7 into various versions of man/zone combinations. I dont care how TO disguises who will be the other 3 rushing the passer but 1 of those should always be Ossai. 

11 hours ago, staboner said:

i dunno man. i get that idea in general but i think you just are somewhat contradicting yourself here by saying A) keep defense off the field and B) make them march down the field. they matriculate, and we are exhausted and frustrated, and they score anyway

re: keep defense off the field, i'm talking about the offense helping.... no hurry up, wise clock management, wise use of timeouts, wise use of challenges, maximum situational awareness to burn as much clock as possible by holding the ball for as long as possible.

and with the defense, wise use of personnel matching to burn time; i've seen us leave personnel unchanged when we are legally allowed to switch which burns another 10 seconds.  if we are playing random 8 back or rush 4 play man & spy, and therefore keeping everything in front of us, then the personnel switching will keep us fresh as well as not have the impact it might if we were contesting the box.  when they make a 20-yard catch, WALK downfield to the line of scrimmage.  if they want to snap the ball when we are not set make the refs flag it.  what's the big12 rule on this?  exploit every loophole available to burn clock while conceding everything outside of fieldgoal range, which with their kicking situation could be as close as the 25.

i understand this will be ridiculed by the media but we have nothing to lose with 1 loss already on the ledger.

shorten the game.  like march halfcourt hoops it is a valid viable strategy that works.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

re: keep defense off the field, i'm talking about the offense helping.... no hurry up, wise clock management, wise use of timeouts, wise use of challenges, maximum situational awareness to burn as much clock as possible by holding the ball for as long as possible.

and with the defense, wise use of personnel matching to burn time; i've seen us leave personnel unchanged when we are legally allowed to switch which burns another 10 seconds.  if we are playing random 8 back or rush 4 play man & spy, and therefore keeping everything in front of us, then the personnel switching will keep us fresh as well as not have the impact it might if we were contesting the box.  when they make a 20-yard catch, WALK downfield to the line of scrimmage.  if they want to snap the ball when we are not set make the refs flag it.  what's the big12 rule on this?  exploit every loophole available to burn clock while conceding everything outside of fieldgoal range, which with their kicking situation could be as close as the 25.

i understand this will be ridiculed by the media but we have nothing to lose with 1 loss already on the ledger.

shorten the game.  like march halfcourt hoops it is a valid viable strategy that works.

The cooler weather will probably make our defense cramp up because they're not used to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ran across this today while researching the archives.  For you connected folks, it would be nice if the Horn's did a little light reading this week.

Spoiler

fuck fredo akers

17 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Texas is going to win this game. We are better on offense and defense than last year. They are not as good offensively and are marginally better on defense. Our Dline is significantly better while their offensive line is significantly worse. Our offensive line is much better while their Dline is only slightly better. Our skill is better across the board than last year while their skill is down slightly across the board. Texas wins.

I want Ossai rushing the passer on every single down. Dropping him into space when he is by far your best coming off the edge is idiocy. Rush 4 with Ossai off the edge and drop 7 into various versions of man/zone combinations. I dont care how TO disguises who will be the other 3 rushing the passer but 1 of those should always be Ossai. 

Our defense isn't better than last year. It's about the same. It will hopefully be better by the end of the season, but we're definitely not better right now. But, you do make a good point that we are much better on the DL this year and tehy are significantly worse on the OL, so I like the matchup better for our defense this year. 

Our offense has to convert drives better than it has been against OSU and WVU, and I think we will because we'll use Sam as a designed runner way more this game. 

10 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

pzv5j7l.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

We are better on offense and defense than last year. They are not as good offensively and are marginally better on defense.

From AdjustedStats.com, Texas D has gone from #27 and #34 in defensive yards and point allowed per possession to #45 and #82. Defensive ypp from #22 to #79. The level of mental maneuvering to think the 2019 Texas D is better than the 2018 Texas D is beyond my ability to fathom. Texas O is better this year for sure. 

OU O yards per possession and play 2018:  54, 9.1

OU O yards per possesion and play 2019: 55, 9.7

OU O points per possession 2018: 4.52

OU O points per possession 2019: 4.49

All 6 numbers are #1 nationally. And you can't bring up schedule, that's the point of the adjusted stats. So both teams are better offensively this year (or possssibly OU is the same), Texas is worse on D this year, OU is better on D this year.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

I hope Riley hears of this and makes sure our players know.

I remember folk thinking the same thing back in Mack's not-so-hey-day, when OU, K-State, etc. would call Texas soft.  "We'll show them!"  Yeah. We showed 'em how soft we were.

Strap up. A Tom Herman team may not always play smart, but they will always play hard.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our defense isn't better than last year. It's about the same. It will hopefully be better by the end of the season, but we're definitely not better right now. But, you do make a good point that we are much better on the DL this year and tehy are significantly worse on the OL, so I like the matchup better for our defense this year. 

Our offense has to convert drives better than it has been against OSU and WVU, and I think we will because we'll use Sam as a designed runner way more this game. 

I think our defense is better than last year. We have better personnel across the board except Gary J. But due to injuries, we havent had the chance to get everyone in sync and tighten it up as much as all of us would like. i think we are getting most of our injured guys back this week. i think the D is about to take another step forward.

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I remember folk thinking the same thing back in Mack's not-so-hey-day, when OU, K-State, etc. would call Texas soft.  "We'll show them!"  Yeah. We showed 'em how soft we were.

Strap up. A Tom Herman team may not always play smart, but they will always play hard.

The idea of "bulletin board material" is pretty weak for almost any game, but it's especially lame for TX-OU.  There's not one thing an opposing player can say, that will make you prepare any better, or practice any harder, or exert any more during the game itself, than you already were.  It's TX-OU, and that's all it takes to demand the maximum from every player on that field.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

College Football Nerds Video:  Injuries and poor past 2019 statistical performances of Texas Defense have both guys predicting blOU wins by 11pts or more and slightly covering the spread.

Lots of good statistical data discussed for folks who enjoy nitty gritty technical data.  

Was interested until they started using S+P rankings in their breakdown. 

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

The level of mental maneuvering to think the 2019 Texas D is better than the 2018 Texas D is beyond my ability to fathom.

It really has to do with the idea that stats are static, whereas actual quality is a dynamic characteristic. They may not have played better so far, as measured by the only available metrics, but they are becoming something other than what they started the year being.

Of course, there's no way to measure something like that until the events one is trying to predict are already over, so you're just left with internet bravado, boistering, and raisons de boire.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

From AdjustedStats.com, Texas D has gone from #27 and #34 in defensive yards and point allowed per possession to #45 and #82. Defensive ypp from #22 to #79. The level of mental maneuvering to think the 2019 Texas D is better than the 2018 Texas D is beyond my ability to fathom. Texas O is better this year for sure. 

OU O yards per possession and play 2018:  54, 9.1

OU O yards per possesion and play 2019: 55, 9.7

OU O points per possession 2018: 4.52

OU O points per possession 2019: 4.49

All 6 numbers are #1 nationally. And you can't bring up schedule, that's the point of the adjusted stats. So both teams are better offensively this year (or possssibly OU is the same), Texas is worse on D this year, OU is better on D this year.

I think injuries play a big part in the stats looking worse for the Texas D along with some youth at corner. But I like this group of players better than last. They are more talented and will yield a better defense over the course of this season.

As for OU, i dont care what the stats show, OU is not better on offense with Hurt instead of Kyler, no Marquise Brown, and this year's offensive line vs last year's. OU is still a very talented team on offense but not the same lethal force they were last year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I think our defense is better than last year. We have better personnel across the board except Gary J. But due to injuries, we havent had the chance to get everyone in sync and tighten it up as much as all of us would like. i think we are getting most of our injured guys back this week. i think the D is about to take another step forward.

I generally agree on personnel, but in addition to Gary Johnson I don't think Jamison and Cook are currently better as true sophomores than Boyd and Davis were last year. They have more talent and may eventually get there, but need more experience.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I generally agree on personnel, but in addition to Gary Johnson I don't think Jamison and Cook are currently better as true sophomores than Boyd and Davis were last year. They have more talent and may eventually get there, but need more experience.  

i think that's fair. i was including Green as well, even though he is hurt right now.

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They seem to think that, among other things, Rhamondre Stevenson is going to run all over Foster (well, they mean Foster even though they're talking about Sterns)

Hide contents

EGcwaCqW4AImXLd?format=png&name=360x360

JetDoc is so original. Coming from that toothless fanbase, I am not surprised. Come up with your own shit, sisterfucker.