Texas opens as a 10.5 point underdog v Oklahoma

TexasMan

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Pete you stay tuned up 24/7 with the hate.  It knows no bounds.  I'm a fan.  I'll agree Oklahoma probably gets away with some holding.  Here's hoping the refs don't decide the game Saturday, for either side.  Can't wait. 

I don’t want calls or no-calls to dictate the game. I always want a fair game. Officiating is so bad across the board these days. From junior high to the NFL, it sucks. 

Yes, I know we can “throw stats out the window” in this game. However, for the sake of discussion, a few relevant stats:

Total Offense,

Okla., #1 (643.8 ypg); #3 in rush offense; #5 in pass; #2, scoring offense.

Texas, #19 (483.6), #11, scoring offense.

Total Defense, Okla., #46 (346.4 ypg); #64 run defense; #25, scoring defense.

Texas, #104; #126 pass defense; #68 scoring defense (26.6 ppg).

Turnover Margin, Texas, #10 (+1.00/game); Okla., #43 (+.4/game);

Net Punting, Okla., #19 (41.9); Texas, #71 (37.89);

Penalty Yds/Game: Texas, #83 (60.2); Okla., #129, next-to-last (90.4). 

Factoring in teams already played accounts for much of the above. Texas’ two biggest advantages, creating turnovers & an edge in penalties. Okla. can kill drives more frequently, or extend opponents drives. Let’s hope that holds up. 

We are still last in the country in punt returns. 

Edited by Mossyhorn

I feel as the stats are a bit slanted negatively to our defense. Other than the LSU game the defense has been clutch this year. Holding ok st to 17 in the normal run of play and West Va getting 2 TDs and an extra 130 yards in garbage time diminishes the looks of things a bit. Especially the way we have been stuffing the run between the tackles. Slow the run down and make Hurts throw it into some tight windows and not streaking wide open receivers and we have a chance. We will move the ball. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I don’t know why some of you guys have such a hard time admitting that at this point in the season, our defense sucks. We’ve seen good defense around here and this isn’t it. Maybe it improves. Maybe it doesn’t. But right now, it’s bad.

This is The big 12. Having a top 10 defense in this conference is fucking impossible. Welcome to modern college football. Turnovers and Field goals in the red zone is the key. 

When we played a team like UGA and Kansas st that slow it down a bit we magically didn’t give up a lot of points. Crazy...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

This is The big 12. Having a top 10 defense in this conference is fucking impossible. Welcome to modern college football. Turnovers and Field goals in the red zone is the key. 

When we played a team like UGA and Kansas st that slow it down a bit we magically didn’t give up a lot of points. Crazy...

So you're telling me that teams with innovative, strategically fast-paced offenses designed to capitalize on the other team's weaknesses score more points? And the teams that run a traditional, try-and-beat-the-other-guy-even-though-he-knows-what's-coming, slower offenses score less points against a more talented defense? 

Well I never....

I get what you're saying, but offensive football at one point or another in history had to find a way to score more points against an entrenched philosophy of defensive football. To stand up and shout that we've "arrived" at what modern football looks like forevermore is small thinking. 

On 10/6/2019 at 2:17 PM, Casual Encounter said:

Vegas has seen our DL’s lack of penetration and our secondary’s overall lackluster performance this year. They’ve also witnessed Riley’s offense not miss a beat regardless of who is behind center. This shouldn’t be a surprise.

Incel Dline?

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

17 minutes ago, Eggo said:

So you're telling me that teams with innovative, strategically fast-paced offenses designed to capitalize on the other team's weaknesses score more points? And the teams that run a traditional, try-and-beat-the-other-guy-even-though-he-knows-what's-coming, slower offenses score less points against a more talented defense? 

Well I never....

I get what you're saying, but offensive football at one point or another in history had to find a way to score more points against an entrenched philosophy of defensive football. To stand up and shout that we've "arrived" at what modern football looks like forevermore is small thinking. 

Lots of words yet said so little. 

11 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Seems like I said more than your fatalistic "we can't stop them so we should get used to it" bullshit. 

He said something real - even SEC teams (fatball!) don't stop Big XII offenses. What you have to do is bend don't break and try to get turnovers/big negative plays, then outscore them on the other side. Once they get in the red zone and you don't have to defend so much acreage you can get a lot feistier and that's when you can actually stonewall them.

Just like we did against OSU, basically giving up passes to their secondary WRs but not letting Hubbard and Wallace beat us.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He said something real - even SEC teams (fatball!) don't stop Big XII offenses. What you have to do is bend don't break and try to get turnovers/big negative plays, then outscore them on the other side. Once they get in the red zone and you don't have to defend so much acreage you can get a lot feistier and that's when you can actually stonewall them.

Just like we did against OSU, basically giving up passes to their secondary WRs but not letting Hubbard and Wallace beat us.

It's not just a college perspective either. Arguably the top defensive mind in football preaches that points-per-drive and turnovers-per-drive are what really matter. 

The biggest issue is people get entirely too caught up in total yards. It's a worthless metric in the era of "modern college football"/spread offenses. It's all about turnovers and red zone stops. 

https://www.patspropaganda.com/pats-2017-bend-dont-break-defense-stack-historically/

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's not just a college perspective either. Arguably the top defensive mind in football preaches that points-per-drive and turnovers-per-drive are what really matter. 

The biggest issue is people get entirely too caught up in total yards. It's a totally worthless metric in the era of "modern college football"/spread offenses. It's all about turnovers and red zone stops. 

https://www.patspropaganda.com/pats-2017-bend-dont-break-defense-stack-historically/

Strikeouts are fascist, but they are viscerally satisfying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

Yes, I know we can “throw stats out the window” in this game. However, for the sake of discussion, a few relevant stats:

Total Offense,

Okla., #1 (643.8 ypg); #3 in rush offense; #5 in pass; #2, scoring offense.

Texas, #19 (483.6), #11, scoring offense.

Total Defense, Okla., #46 (346.4 ypg); #64 run defense; #25, scoring defense.

Texas, #104; #126 pass defense; #68 scoring defense (26.6 ppg).

Turnover Margin, Texas, #10 (+1.00/game); Okla., #43 (+.4/game);

Net Punting, Okla., #19 (41.9); Texas, #71 (37.89);

Penalty Yds/Game: Texas, #83 (60.2); Okla., #129, next-to-last (90.4). 

Factoring in teams already played accounts for much of the above. Texas’ two biggest advantages, creating turnovers & an edge in penalties. Okla. can kill drives more frequently, or extend opponents drives. Let’s hope that holds up. 

We are still last in the country in punt returns. 

"who gives a shit?" - Harrison Ford - NOMAAA

58 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

What part about causing turnovers ( we lead the nation in INTs) and forcing field goals is not considered a stop to you? 

Okay, I see your point. My point is: make em eat shit. 

Sorry..hate week has me thinking like an ogre. 

13 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t want calls or no-calls to dictate the game. I always want a fair game. Officiating is so bad across the board these days. From junior high to the NFL, it sucks. 

Unfortunately more and more it appears that is sucks by design for an agenda or a monied interest. It's not merely incompetence.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Unfortunately more and more it appears that is sucks by design for an agenda or a monied interest. It's not merely incompetence.

One of the few conspiracy theories I'll raise my hand and admit I believe.  Too much god damn money paid out to the conferences to have post-season representation.  So it's internal.  Conferences are picking their horses and pushing them ahead.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not sure this was posted (and if it was, whatever) - Scipio Tex on how we can win the game on defense: https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/10/9/20907194/how-texas-can-beat-oklahoma-on-defense-longhorns-sooners-dallas-red-river-orlando-riley

but OU didn’t know South Dakota would be down when they scheduled them.

I love Scipio

3 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

You dont need a to 10 defense but having a bottom 100 defense is a different story.  Texas D did take a step back this year, so far. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Expect bad calls because the arrogant UT players will be trying to make the OU guys (*cough* Radley-Hiles *cough*) lose their heads
Spoiler

EGhoFcLXYAUUHlC?format=jpg&name=smallEGhoGREX0AEgIC7?format=jpg&name=360x360EGhoG_nXUAEf9Xz?format=jpg&name=smallEGhoH00XYAEujFm?format=png&name=360x360

Use of an apostrophe when trying to use the plural form of a given word is absolutely a dead giveaway of an OU education.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's almost as if some of our fans never listen to Tom Herman speak.  On pretty much a weekly basis, he talks about how moving the ball gets so much more difficult within the red zone.  Do you think his defensive schematic preferences might be informed a bit by that perspective?  

Play for the turnover and limit explosive plays the bulk of the time, and then get more physical and aggressive when the field contracts.  He knows it works against his offenses, which is why Orlando schemes that way on defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I see why you have a red number next to your name with idiotic posts like this. 

Happy to discuss this in more detail instead of name calling.  I think it's pretty clear that the texas defense has taken a step back this season. Or  am i wrong? Happy to discuss but if you wanna call me names, i guess you can do that too.  Anyway, feel free to respond like an adult and we could maybe even have a real conversation about this topic before it turns into insults and other boring stuff.  I love talking football tho!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Not sure this was posted (and if it was, whatever) - Scipio Tex on how we can win the game on defense: https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/10/9/20907194/how-texas-can-beat-oklahoma-on-defense-longhorns-sooners-dallas-red-river-orlando-riley

i love me some sciptex, but i haven't read this yet and i'm calling bullshit.

9 minutes ago, Eggo said:

My D took a step back with your mom last night. 

My mother is suffering from two different types of cancers because she was just stupid enough to smoke cigarettes for 50 years. That said, thank you for showing her a good time, it's been a while for her. Also you'll need to see a doctor. 

Edited by Glenn Quagmire Pilot