Texas opens as a 10.5 point underdog v Oklahoma

TexasMan

10 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Happy to discuss this in more detail instead of name calling.  I think it's pretty clear that the texas defense has taken a step back this season. Or  am i wrong? Happy to discuss but if you wanna call me names, i guess you can do that too.  Anyway, feel free to respond like an adult and we could maybe even have a real conversation about this topic before it turns into insults and other boring stuff.  I love talking football tho!

I didn’t call you any names. Lulz. 

There’s nothing to discuss because we don’t have a bottom 100 defense.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didn’t call you any names. Lulz. 

There’s nothing to discuss because we don’t have a bottom 100 defense.

Well, depends on what we are talking about. Theyre 104th in yards given up per game (441 ypg).  110th in yards per play (6.14)  Now, in terms of points per game given up, that's much, much better, at 68th.    Perhaps you are only looking at points given up per game? They are right where they were last year in scoring, but are still giving up more yards.  I suspect if OU's tackles dont play like crap that they will be able to put up about 500 yards saturday.

• Fuck You 4

14 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

My mother is suffering from two different types of cancers because she was just stupid enough to smoke cigarettes for 50 years. That said, thank you for showing her a good time, it's been a while for her. Also you'll need to see a doctor. 

It hadn’t been long at all, trust me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Well, depends on what we are talking about. Theyre 104th in yards given up per game (441 ypg).  110th in yards per play (6.14)  Now, in terms of points per game given up, that's much, much better, at 68th.    Perhaps you are only looking at points given up per game? They are right where they were last year in scoring, but are still giving up more yards.  I suspect if OU's tackles dont play like crap that they will be able to put up about 500 yards saturday.

Looking at raw yardage numbers is no way to assess a defense. FEI, SP+, Adjusted stats and probably any other advanced metric you can find has us well inside the top 100.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Looking at raw yardage numbers is no way to assess a defense. FEI, SP+, Adjusted stats and probably any other advanced metric you can find has us well inside the top 100.

The yards you give up is an indicator of how soft the defense is though.  It will be exploited by an actual elite offense who can convert for points.   It's not always a good look if you have to get into the minutiae of adjusted stats to make the numbers look respectable.   Either way the point was to indicate that the texas defense is not as good this year, it's not just me saying it. I can't see them holding OU's offense under 500 yards and 40 points.  Injuries will unfortunately be a factor saturday.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

11 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

The yards you give up is an indicator of how soft the defense is though.  It will be exploited by an actual elite offense who can convert for points.   It's not always a good look if you have to get into the minutiae of adjusted stats to make the numbers look respectable.   Either way the point was to indicate that the texas defense is not as good this year, it's not just me saying it. I can't see them holding OU's offense under 500 yards and 40 points.  Injuries will unfortunately be a factor saturday.

Lulz. See my first post.

Filtering out garbage time and adjusting for strength of opponent is not “getting into the minutia.” 

our defense wasn’t great last year and it isn’t great this year, but neither was anywhere near bottom 100.

Edited by Burt Macklin

43 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

My mother is suffering from two different types of cancers because she was just stupid enough to smoke cigarettes for 50 years. That said, thank you for showing her a good time, it's been a while for her. Also you'll need to see a doctor. 

Are you under the impression that cancer is contagious?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

I got into your mom's minutiae

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

The yards you give up is an indicator of how soft the defense is though.

No, actually points per possession is that indicator. If you give up 90 yards per drive, but on average only 1 point, you will rank dead last in raw numbers, but pretty definitely you'll go undefeated, assuming your offense has a pulse. Context is everything. For example, you being a bitch-ass on the internet is not proof that you're a bad person; it's just an indicator that you're probably not very happy.

9 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

Small sample size and likely better competition, on average, in neutral site games but those are pretty significant drop offs. 

Yeah because that 52-6 opener against USC as a freshman and 24-7 opener against a 7-6 FSU is "better competition" 

Edited by Eggo

11 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Yeah because that 52-6 opener against USC as a freshman and 24-7 opener against a 7-6 FSU is "better competition" 

My wife is a Bama grad, so I watched a lot of Jalen's Bama games with her. I distinctly remember how much better he was at home. With a quieter crowd, he was able to receive audible calls at the line of scrimmage from Lane Kiffin on the sideline more easily than he could when he was in front of a hostile crowd.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i love me some sciptex, but i haven't read this yet and i'm calling bullshit.

I love his writing in general, but I can't read his or anyone else's writeups of what they think we should do in games.  Ultimately, that doesn't matter.  What matters is what our coaches are going to do.  If these writeups would project what they think WILL happen, and not what SHOULD happen I'd be interested.  Otherwise it does nothing to prepare me for what I'm going to see.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i love me some sciptex, but i haven't read this yet and i'm calling bullshit.

okay, having read it i owe scippy an apology.....  it was a wall of text about playing them straight up and trying to get to the quarterback, until the prestige at the end, which is subscription-worthy:

+++

That game plan has a real chance of hurting OU’s offense before it even gets started and forcing Hurts into throws and decisions he hasn’t had to make all year. It’s imperative to teach the outside pressure guys to come at a proper angle and blitz with containment - not just fly by Hurts and leave the entire side of the field open.

Oklahoma is one of the most penalized teams in the country (129th out of 130). OL holding and personal fouls are a large reason why. The Oklahoma OL holds constantly. This is a feature, not a bug. OU understands that they have a big play offense and that their makeshift OL is more massive than skilled, so getting away with five holds to every one called is an exchange they’ll take every time as it’s going to result in net points and yards over the course of a game. How the officials choose to deal with this will be significant in the game outcome, but there’s also a tremendous onus placed on Texas defenders.

Defensive linemen and linebackers consent to being held by stopping their feet and failing to create the obvious separation that highlights the hold, thus effectively forcing a referee to acknowledge it. The Texas rush philosophy - in combination with containment imperatives - should reflect this.

Texas won’t earn holding calls without attempting to expose OU’s edge blocking. Because they are OU’s worst offenders. Because they will be dealing with speed. Because it’s not their natural position. Because it’s a huge stage and the most important game of the year. Because it’s the easiest holding to detect.

Does Texas have the fundamentals to execute this plan flawlessly? I don’t think Texas has the fundamentals on defense to execute any game plan flawlessly. Tackling and angles have been poor and unit cohesion has lacked. That’s reality. But sometimes simple, aggressive and fast is the cure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

This is rock fucking stupid. So you're speaking fluent Oklahoman. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. See my first post.

Filtering out garbage time and adjusting for strength of opponent is not “getting into the minutia.” 

our defense wasn’t great last year and it isn’t great this year, but neither was anywhere near bottom 100.

You realize there are only 128 teams right

Bottom 100 means anyone outside of the top 28

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

I feel as the stats are a bit slanted negatively to our defense. Other than the LSU game the defense has been clutch this year. Holding ok st to 17 in the normal run of play and West Va getting 2 TDs and an extra 130 yards in garbage time diminishes the looks of things a bit. Especially the way we have been stuffing the run between the tackles. Slow the run down and make Hurts throw it into some tight windows and not streaking wide open receivers and we have a chance. We will move the ball. 

This. Fans need to play attention to the first 3 quarters against OSU and WVA and not the yards or final score from garbage time.

2 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Happy to discuss this in more detail instead of name calling.  I think it's pretty clear that the texas defense has taken a step back this season. Or  am i wrong? Happy to discuss but if you wanna call me names, i guess you can do that too.  Anyway, feel free to respond like an adult and we could maybe even have a real conversation about this topic before it turns into insults and other boring stuff.

Sensitive-Posters.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Happy to discuss this in more detail instead of name calling.  I think it's pretty clear that the texas defense has taken a step back this season. Or  am i wrong? Happy to discuss but if you wanna call me names, i guess you can do that too.  Anyway, feel free to respond like an adult and we could maybe even have a real conversation about this topic before it turns into insults and other boring stuff.  I love talking football tho!

You just know this guy has called his millennial kids/coworkers triggered snowflakes with a straight face.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, actually points per possession is that indicator. If you give up 90 yards per drive, but on average only 1 point, you will rank dead last in raw numbers, but pretty definitely you'll go undefeated, assuming your offense has a pulse. Context is everything. For example, you being a bitch-ass on the internet is not proof that you're a bad person; it's just an indicator that you're probably not very happy.

The truth be told, I am actually quite the incredible person. I was born deaf, yet I can hear. I taught myself how to fly when I was five years old, I killed my first man when I was seven, and I was a published Author by my 13th birthday. By the time I was 30 I had already served 12 years in prison, into this day haven’t lost a single game of chess in the United States Penal institutions.

Beside from that, points and yards given Up are very accurate indicators as to where a defense is.
  • Fuck You 11

1 minute ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

The truth be told, I am actually quite the incredible person. I was born deaf, yet I can hear. I taught myself how to fly when I was five years old, I killed my first man when I was seven, and I was a published Author by my 13th birthday. By the time I was 30 I had already served 12 years in prison, into this day haven’t lost a single game of chess in the United States Penal institutions.

Beside from that, points and yards given Up are very accurate indicators as to where a defense is.

Dude shut the fuck up 

Lulz. See my first post.

For example, Clemson was the best team in the country last year pretty much there is no doubt there really is no argument there. Mostly because of that ridiculous defense. We don’t need advanced stats to see that, they were top five in points allowed & yards allowed per game- no adjustment needed. There is no advanced metrics needed to make their numbers look good. They just look good because they were that damn good. If you have to use advanced metrics to loop the numbers around to make them look good, well, that’s just not nearly as cool. I figured being a Matthew McConaughey fan you would understand cool.
  • Fuck You 6

7 minutes ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

The truth be told, I am actually quite the incredible person.

You and the bearded lady. Congratulations. 

Meanwhile,  quit wasting bandwidth with takes that are not merely stupid, but are also lacking entertainment value.

Being wrong is forgivable; it's a universal hobby. Being an insipid bore, however, is a damnable nuisance.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

You and the bearded lady. Congratulations. 

Meanwhile,  quit wasting bandwidth with takes that are not merely stupid, but are also lacking entertainment value.

Being wrong is forgivable; it's a universal hobby. Being an insipid bore, however, is a damnable nuisance.

Luckily I am quite the incredible person 

• Fuck You 4