Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Alright behavior question time:

I have an 8 week old at home and a 1.5 year old son. In the past two weeks my son has suddenly started to become very clingy with my wife and will randomly have total complete meltdowns when she picks up baby to feed/soothe/etc. The absolute only thing that can make him happy is being picked up and held by my wife. Which is obviously impossible when I’m at work.

And when I say meltdown, I’m talking an hour straight of screaming and running around in circles basically.

Any ideas on what to do?

2 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

I have an 8 week old at home and a 1.5 year old son. In the past two weeks my son has suddenly started to become very clingy with my wife and will randomly have total complete meltdowns when she picks up baby to feed/soothe/etc. The absolute only thing that can make him happy is being picked up and held by my wife. Which is obviously impossible when I’m at work.

And when I say meltdown, I’m talking an hour straight of screaming and running around in circles basically.

Any ideas on what to do?

Image result for bourbon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Any ideas on what to do?

Spend more time at work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Any ideas on what to do?

We're in basically the same boat though I'm hoping we're on the tail end of it. Boy number two is now four months and boy one is two years, my wife was on bed rest prior to number two and was on restrictions following a c section. Boy number one was absolutely attached at my hip, everything has been MY DAD! He loves his brother, but is extremely clingy when it comes to me making time or doing even little things with number two. One of the things thought that I've found really helps is helping him take ownership of his brother.  "Can you help me give him a bottle?" Can you hold the wipes while I change him, things like that. We also make it a point for number two to give kisses, really a light head butt, when we're giving final good nights to number one. I just keep reminding him that I am your daddy, but I'm number two's daddy too. It seems to be helping. 

Welp, found out today we have a little girl on the way. Son will be 21 months when she's born. How hard is having 2 under 2 going to be?

Almost identical to us. I’ve got a two month old girl and a 19 month old boy.

It was really easy while I was on paternity leave (six weeks). I took care of boy 95% of the time and my wife took care of newborn girl. We didn’t have new parent jitters which made a world of difference.

As you can see from my post above, things have gotten a lot worse. The boy is losing his mind multiple times a day because he wants my wife to hold him when she is holding/feeding newborn daughter. He can’t speak, so he just screams and runs in circles and breaks all the rules he knows.

Also starting to get newborn “it’s time to fucking sleep” fatigue. It’s whatever for first month or two, but we are getting tired of it. 12 hours of my son going crazy in the day followed by 12 hours of daughter being a mediocre night time sleeper makes it a 24 hour a day process.

I’ll continue to let you know how it’s going. I do think it will be good - my son already cares for baby daughter and wants to include her in things.

• Like 1

We're in basically the same boat though I'm hoping we're on the tail end of it. Boy number two is now four months and boy one is two years, my wife was on bed rest prior to number two and was on restrictions following a c section. Boy number one was absolutely attached at my hip, everything has been MY DAD! He loves his brother, but is extremely clingy when it comes to me making time or doing even little things with number two. One of the things thought that I've found really helps is helping him take ownership of his brother.  "Can you help me give him a bottle?" Can you hold the wipes while I change him, things like that. We also make it a point for number two to give kisses, really a light head butt, when we're giving final good nights to number one. I just keep reminding him that I am your daddy, but I'm number two's daddy too. It seems to be helping. 

Yeah we try doing similar things. Unfortunately his attachment is with my wife (which is new, he’s usually attached to me). And she is stay at home, so while I’m at work, not a lot of options when he loses his mind (usually the baby is also).

Any ideas on what to do?
Well, one thing to do would be to try to transition him into "helper" mode by helping Mama get a diaper, etc. If they feel they aren't being ignored or replaced then they transition better.

But when my daughter was born, my son (27 months) had already been attending daycare for a while so we just kept taking him there during the day when I was at work. That gave mom and baby their time. Daughter started daycare at 3 months and by then they were great buddies. Now at age 3 and 5 they are always playing together.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

It was really easy while I was on paternity leave (six weeks). I took care of boy 95% of the time and my wife took care of newborn girl. We didn’t have new parent jitters which made a world of difference.

As you can see from my post above, things have gotten a lot worse. The boy is losing his mind multiple times a day because he wants my wife to hold him when she is holding/feeding newborn daughter. He can’t speak, so he just screams and runs in circles and breaks all the rules he knows.

Also starting to get newborn “it’s time to fucking sleep” fatigue. It’s whatever for first month or two, but we are getting tired of it. 12 hours of my son going crazy in the day followed by 12 hours of daughter being a mediocre night time sleeper makes it a 24 hour a day process.

I’ll continue to let you know how it’s going. I do think it will be good - my son already cares for baby daughter and wants to include her in things.

Thanks for the input and giving a glimpse into your experience. I'm afraid it's going to be hard to keep it together if the infant isn't a good sleeper. It's already getting fatiguing with my son running around the house. 

Thanks for the input and giving a glimpse into your experience. I'm afraid it's going to be hard to keep it together if the infant isn't a good sleeper. It's already getting fatiguing with my son running around the house. 

That was my biggest worry but our infant slept half decently from like day 2. Miracle. She hasn’t improved a whole lot though... my son was a terrible for sleeper for first four weeks but then was pretty good (until 3 month regression).

How do babies get through the "I just learned to walk and stumble around like a frat boy at 2am on 6th street" phase without all ending up with CTE? My boy is like a damn crash test dummy.

Just wait until they can climb. Then the falls start happening from heights and they always go head first. Awful

9 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

It happens no matter what age the older kid is, I think. Our oldest is almost exactly 3 years older than our newborn, and she has been really acting up lately. Luckily he usually sleeps pretty good at night (6 or 8 hours), but last night I stayed up so the wife could sleep and he didn't go down until almost 6 this morning. Luckily I didn't have to go to work this morning, but that really sucks when you have another kid waking up early.

Also, when the kid acts up and you are both there, it might be good to do a good cop bad cop type thing so you aren't both getting on to the kid for misbehaving. Obviously someone has to discipline them and act stern so they are clear that their behavior is unacceptable,  but they need extra love and attention at the same time because it is tough for them emotionally to go from being the center of the world to feeling ignored. So make sure one parent sits down with them, hugs them, and asks how they feel and everything. Make sure to tell them y'all still love them and that the baby just needs extra attention right now. Also talk about how they will have a new friend to play with soon. Switch it up so the same parent isn't being the bad parent every time.

How do babies get through the "I just learned to walk and stumble around like a frat boy at 2am on 6th street" phase without all ending up with CTE? My boy is like a damn crash test dummy.
Same. Had a fall a few weeks ago slipping forward head first onto wooden ledge where the rails of our stairs go into. Left a nice 2 inch crease on his forehead and a puffy swelling.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:12 PM, Jkwellborn said:

No kidding. My kids have gotten away from that crap. My son likes watch old cartoons or cartoon theme songs.

I would kill for an unaltered/un-edited collection of Wacky Races (old Hanna-Barbera cartoon), but alas, what they released on DVD was fucked up/shortened.

But yeah, my kid loves a lot of those 60s stuff.  Jetsons, etc.

And he wants a Wii U for some Mario games that he's researched and really wants to play (We have a Wii, but nothing newer outside of a PS3), which leads me back to YouTube Kids - I like the aspects of it like him looking up stuff that he's interested in (LEGO, old video games, etc.).  

So yeah, here in 2019, he's liable to take his birthday money and have me find him a Wii U.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, Lobo said:

There’s a YouTube Kids?  Sonofabitch.  I wonder how long until my four year old finds it.  Fucking a man.  I honestly had no idea.  

You're letting your kid mess around with regular YouTube?

A) You're probably screwing up your recommended algorithms

B) You're running the risk of them finding something they shouldn't find (then again YT Kids has that Ryan shit).

12 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Welp, found out today we have a little girl on the way. Son will be 21 months when she's born. How hard is having 2 under 2 going to be?

A 3-year gap sucked for us, because 3 year-olds are far worse than 2 year-olds, and they very much want to be independent, which is not fun when you have a baby around.

Just learn to wipe front-to-back.

And welcome to the "wiping poop out of the vagina" club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Just wait until they are in kindergarten and learning monkey bars (assuming they don't already), my kid was rocking some horrible-looking blisters (along with half his class).

And he loves shorts, but I want him to wear pants, because holy shit the bruises, I'm worried somebody will call CPS.  I've actually seen it in action.- hitting his shins on the steps of various playscape, falling off of shit, taking tumbles off his bike and scooter, etc.

Anybody else want to form a mob with pitch forks and stuff and go tar and feather Blippi? Although I did gain a little respect for him for his skid steer song.

I actually dont mind blippi

Hes been lacking on new videos recently...once every month or two. Might be getting tired of it. But at least he doesnt shout into the camera like kids playing with toy videos

So the 7mo has his 4 chompers. Tonight he decided he didn't wanna go to sleep at the usual time and bit the fuck out of my wife's arm - broke skin and all. He raised up and looked at me so triumphantly. I did my best to poker face the both of them but honestly I was proud. 

She starts going off about "omg he's gonna be a biter! we can't have a biter! those are the worst kids!" ... 

I'm thinking, if he's a biter he's a biter. I'm not about to smack a 7 month old. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to spend the last 30 minutes cleaning up projectile vomit from the top bunk of a bunk bed onto the bed below/floor/toys/dogs in the 4 year olds room.

So I have that going for me. 

Seriously though, I did the clean up and the wife took care of the boy. Don’t know how single parents do it, that was a two person job for sure. 

20 hours ago, hornian said:

Just got to spend the last 30 minutes cleaning up projectile vomit from the top bunk of a bunk bed onto the bed below/floor/toys/dogs in the 4 year olds room.

Seriously though, I did the clean up and the wife took care of the boy. Don’t know how single parents do it, that was a two person job for sure. 

fucking hell. Hope he feels better.

its not a 2 person job, its about a 6 person job

• Like 2

I got the same job about a month ago. Was in the living room when it sounded like someone was pouring water on the floor. Checked and 5-yr-old was standing just inside his door barfing all over the floor. Luckily most if it was on a big rug. Got him into the bathroom, and yelled for the wife to get up. She took care of him while I got towels and started cleaning toys and then rolling up the big rug and dragging it outside to be hosed down in the morning. Lovely smell.

the boy was upset due to his coughing ( he doesn't have the pneumonia his sister did but it's some other bullshit) and thus he pukes. he's a puker when he's upset. Bright green puke all over my chest and back, like a warm frothy Shamrock Shake. I might add this was his second puke on dad in 12 hours. I learned the hard way to not to follow the instructions on the medicine bottle as 8ml is too much in a single dose for him and thus he yacked all over me in the kitchen that morning. 

now the wife's sickness is back she has the same chest infection the kids have and cough all damn night. Short of me not being sick, I can't catch a break. Thankfully I got to shoot some Sporting clays last Thursday and Saturday I have a pheasant hunt, which is nice. 

When did everyone's kids start getting into TV? This might come off as some sort of hipster brag, but it's completely not meant to be. My 13 month old is almost completely disinterested. He'll watch it for maybe 5 minutes at a time. He mostly wants to interact with people, get into every single thing he's not supposed to, and run around the house yelling random syllables. Some of my other friends with kids said their kids started getting into it at about a year. Nothing doing with ours.

We're probably going to be middle of the road in terms of "screen time" when he's older, but right now I wish his little ass would sit down and binge watch 30 minutes of Sesame Street so we can get some chores done and by do chores I mean drink a bourbon and relax on the couch.

Edited by BradInATX

Try Super Simple Songs on Amazon prime video or equivalent. My girls are nearly 2 and are still relatively indifferent to Sesame Street because there's too much talking. Singing and dancing cartoons or puppets or nursery rhymes will captivate them for longer than i care to admit. 

Edited by B00M
  • Like 1

My three year old likes Blippi quite a bit. She loves the episode where he goes to the fire station and shows off a fire truck and ambulance. When my 6 year old was that age, she loved Stuart Little. She would watch that damn show every day.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:50 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Wait til they start watching stupid ass videos on youtube.  Still don't get why my son loves to watch videos of other kids playing with toys.  

My daughter loves this as well. We pretty much banned it. It's the dumbest, most useless thing ever. When they watch shows, we try and make sure there might be a chance that they learn something from it. 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, LurkingHorn said:

We had two under two. At 21 months your son will already be fairly independent. Mine are 17 months apart and it wasn't that bad. 

• Like 1