Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Just found out my company is rolling out a new 4 weeks of parental leave policy, to be taken in at least one week increments before the child is one year old. Still counts for kids born before the new policy. So I basically get 7 weeks of vacation next year. Just might spend a month in Mexico.

11 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Just found out my company is rolling out a new 4 weeks of parental leave policy, to be taken in at least one week increments before the child is one year old. Still counts for kids born before the new policy. So I basically get 7 weeks of vacation next year. Just might spend a month in Mexico.

Ours did the same thing for 2020. 4 weeks plus your regular vacations.  Never thought I’d see it happen.  

If it improves parenting and commitment, it’s well worth it. Eagerly awaiting societal impact studies 2 decades from now.  If it’s 4 weeks of extra X-box and golf, then it’s bullshit.

Last thing I wanted to do during those times was sit around the fucking house. If the kid had a big appointment or something, I found a way to make it happen; and with our little one they were numerous, to say the least. Otherwise, my ass was at work taking all of the extra work/ assignments I could get( 100% commish was badass then)

Hope it pays off in the long run, for all of us.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

Mine spends a lot of money training new employees and I think is having a more difficult time retaining new employees than in the past due to millennials coming into the work force with the understanding that you look out for yourself because your employer is only looking out for itself as well. Combine that with large scale retirement of a whole generation of boomers and the experience they take with them, and it's clear that they have to retain employees for longer than a few years.

15 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Mine spends a lot of money training new employees and I think is having a more difficult time retaining new employees than in the past due to millennials coming into the work force with the understanding that you look out for yourself because your employer is only looking out for itself as well. Combine that with large scale retirement of a whole generation of boomers and the experience they take with them, and it's clear that they have to retain employees for longer than a few years.

It's almost always an employee retention effort. I bet you're in an industry where it's a seller's talent market or where losing an employee has a high revenue impact. They've figured out the cost of providing those four weeks vs. the cost savings in reduced turnover and determined that it's plus or close enough to plus where "employee engagement" can make up the difference. This is what I do for a living - it's a lot of fun. Almost every single time the numbers justify giving the employees stuff, whether it's pay increases, benefits or part-time to full-time conversion, or perks like this.

I'm guessing you're in tech, healthcare, or some sort of professional/b2b sales.

I'd love to have this but my boss is a dick. The drawbacks of being self-employed I suppose.

Edited by BradInATX

I'm in the chemicals industry. A chemical plant is pretty complex, so experienced engineers and operators are essential to keep things running and running safely.
Ah yeah. Makes sense. I saw similar at a nuke plant I worked with. They can't replace you easily because X and millennials aren't going into those fields.

Started to make a new thread, but it probably belongs here. A friend of mine has a son that's a rapidly rising star in BMX racing. Been getting all kinds of accolades.

@henrygandorf you could write a great script with this story.

Local story

BMX-Feature-Web.jpg

Long before he was competing in BMX races, Bowie resident Toby Dunn knew his son had a thing for his bike.
“Jaden’s first bicycle he actually wore the tires off,” Dunn said. “Not from sliding the back tire. I mean he wore out a set of tires he rode it so much.”
Jaden cannot remember life without him riding his bike,
“I just started riding street with some friends and just grew to love bicycles,” Jaden said.
That passion for riding has paid off as Jaden won the Texas State Championship in BMX racing for the 13-year-old intermediate division on Sept. 8. That was followed by the tougher Gold Cup in Austin on Sept. 15., where he finished second overall. This was in less than a year of competing on the national circuit.
Dunn was more familiar with motorcycle races himself, but when Jaden brought up BMX racing as something he might want to do, Dunn and Jaden’s mother Amy sent him to a BMX camp called Rebel Run in Houston after racing in a few local contests.
“When we picked him up, they said the only problem they had with him was they could not keep him off the bike,” Dunn said.
With a new bike for Christmas, Jaden started seriously competing on the national circuit for the first time after basketball season ended. With a newfound dedication and using everything he learned at Rebel Run, Jaden has racked up at least 16 first place finishes.
While Dunn and Amy fully support Jaden in this endeavor, it has been Jaden who has taken charge of his training and diet so he can go as far as he can. He has kept an A-B average while taking three advanced classes.
The teen lives with Amy in Weatherford where he goes to school, but sees Dunn often.
One of their projects is trying to set up a mini course in the back yard. While it is something Dunn is familiar with in motorcycle racing, it is a lot of work and is just in the starting stages right now.
While Jaden has some local sponsors, including Dunn’s place of work Lipscomb, they hope to attract some national sponsors in year two to help offset the bike maintenance and travel costs.
Two big races are still on the horizon for Jaden: the Lone Star National in Houston on Oct. 25-27 and the Grand Nationals in Tulsa, OK. on Nov. 28-Dec. 1.

He came in 2nd in Houston.

https://www.facebook.com/toby.dunn.3551/videos/144476136897755/

Edited by RPM

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Started to make a new thread, but it probably belongs here. A friend of mine has a son that's a rapidly rising star in BMX racing. Been getting all kinds of accolades.

@henrygandorf you could write a great script with this story.

Local story

BMX-Feature-Web.jpg

Long before he was competing in BMX races, Bowie resident Toby Dunn knew his son had a thing for his bike.
“Jaden’s first bicycle he actually wore the tires off,” Dunn said. “Not from sliding the back tire. I mean he wore out a set of tires he rode it so much.”
Jaden cannot remember life without him riding his bike,
“I just started riding street with some friends and just grew to love bicycles,” Jaden said.
That passion for riding has paid off as Jaden won the Texas State Championship in BMX racing for the 13-year-old intermediate division on Sept. 8. That was followed by the tougher Gold Cup in Austin on Sept. 15., where he finished second overall. This was in less than a year of competing on the national circuit.
Dunn was more familiar with motorcycle races himself, but when Jaden brought up BMX racing as something he might want to do, Dunn and Jaden’s mother Amy sent him to a BMX camp called Rebel Run in Houston after racing in a few local contests.
“When we picked him up, they said the only problem they had with him was they could not keep him off the bike,” Dunn said.
With a new bike for Christmas, Jaden started seriously competing on the national circuit for the first time after basketball season ended. With a newfound dedication and using everything he learned at Rebel Run, Jaden has racked up at least 16 first place finishes.
While Dunn and Amy fully support Jaden in this endeavor, it has been Jaden who has taken charge of his training and diet so he can go as far as he can. He has kept an A-B average while taking three advanced classes.
The teen lives with Amy in Weatherford where he goes to school, but sees Dunn often.
One of their projects is trying to set up a mini course in the back yard. While it is something Dunn is familiar with in motorcycle racing, it is a lot of work and is just in the starting stages right now.
While Jaden has some local sponsors, including Dunn’s place of work Lipscomb, they hope to attract some national sponsors in year two to help offset the bike maintenance and travel costs.
Two big races are still on the horizon for Jaden: the Lone Star National in Houston on Oct. 25-27 and the Grand Nationals in Tulsa, OK. on Nov. 28-Dec. 1.

He came in 2nd in Houston.

https://www.facebook.com/toby.dunn.3551/videos/144476136897755/

Good stuff. If he keeps at it and moves into motocross type stuff, though, keep an eye out. One of my cousins was into doing stunts and stuff and was trying out a new ramp when he landed short. Nobody realized the handlebars caught him in the throat and he was walking around fine afterwards until he wasn't   his throat swelled up until it cut his airways off and he passed away. So let the kid do as much of that stiff as he wants, but read up on how to perform an emergency tracheotomy for the worse case scenario.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:53 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Good stuff. If he keeps at it and moves into motocross type stuff, though, keep an eye out. One of my cousins was into doing stunts and stuff and was trying out a new ramp when he landed short. Nobody realized the handlebars caught him in the throat and he was walking around fine afterwards until he wasn't   his throat swelled up until it cut his airways off and he passed away. So let the kid do as much of that stiff as he wants, but read up on how to perform an emergency tracheotomy for the worse case scenario.

Jesus christ, that took a turn.

• Like 1

Open to all the prayers, good thoughts and positive vibes.  Heading to the hospital at 4:45 tomorrow morning for the birth of our first born (it's a boy via a scheduled C-section).  I don't think I have ever been so anxious/nervous in my life.   

Looking forward to contributing/learning from this thread shortly.  

• Like 4

Son had another febrile seizure on Tuesday. Just turned 6 last week. Thought we were done with this shit as his last one was 1.5 years ago. Dr says he's still barely in the window. I'll be glad when we don't have to worry about this every time he starts running a fever.

That was always a massive fear of mine, but we were pretty fortunate to not have either kid have one. My nephew has had a couple though

Open to all the prayers, good thoughts and positive vibes.  Heading to the hospital at 4:45 tomorrow morning for the birth of our first born (it's a boy via a scheduled C-section).  I don't think I have ever been so anxious/nervous in my life.   
Looking forward to contributing/learning from this thread shortly.  
Good luck to her and baby!!

• 1 month later...

My 1 year old has this habit where if she's upset about something she throws her head/torso back as violently as she can.

Tonight, she did it on the couch, and the back of her head connected solidly with the bridge of my nose. 

I kid you not, I think a f'ing 20 lb 1-year old broke my nose. Not bad, it didn't bleed that much, and it's just a little swollen now and maybe a little crooked according to my wife, but I'm pretty sure it's broken. I'll probably go see an ENT next week once the swelling goes down to see if it needs to be reset or just let it heal. 

I'm never going to let her live that one down, though. It's going in my speech at her wedding as a word of warning to her future spouse. 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 9:19 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

3yo: I want a Minnie Mouse hairbrush.

MrsNAAL: maybe you van get one for Christmas.

3yo: No! For Texas!

Yes, my 3yo has decided that Texas is a holiday where you get presents. I told her Texas isn't until March and that Christmas comes first.

I cannot see where she is wrong...LOlz.

Kids are so awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So my little girl(just turned 4) has been struggling to make it to the toilet in time. Her accidents are normally very light and then she catches it and goes to the bathroom but these are now commonly occurring. She was potty trained and was doing great since before 3 but started doing Pre K last Fall and it’s been much worse now. I’m thinking changes with her now being in wcgool plus now having a new baby in the family are making this worse so looking for advice on what to do. When we talk to her the answers are that “she didn’t know” and not really telling us why. Any tips on how to help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2020 at 9:44 PM, hornian said:

My 1 year old has this habit where if she's upset about something she throws her head/torso back as violently as she can.

Tonight, she did it on the couch, and the back of her head connected solidly with the bridge of my nose. 

I kid you not, I think a f'ing 20 lb 1-year old broke my nose. Not bad, it didn't bleed that much, and it's just a little swollen now and maybe a little crooked according to my wife, but I'm pretty sure it's broken. I'll probably go see an ENT next week once the swelling goes down to see if it needs to be reset or just let it heal. 

I'm never going to let her live that one down, though. It's going in my speech at her wedding as a word of warning to her future spouse. 

Yeah, this happened to us all the time, and still does occasionally. Kiddo just turned 2. It doesn't help he's just a massive child for his age, much bigger and heavier than his 3 year old cousin. He can do some serious damage. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

So my little girl(just turned 4) has been struggling to make it to the toilet in time. Her accidents are normally very light and then she catches it and goes to the bathroom but these are now commonly occurring. She was potty trained and was doing great since before 3 but started doing Pre K last Fall and it’s been much worse now. I’m thinking changes with her now being in wcgool plus now having a new baby in the family are making this worse so looking for advice on what to do. When we talk to her the answers are that “she didn’t know” and not really telling us why. Any tips on how to help would be appreciated.

Might seem trivial, or "How the fuck would that matter?"  but with our boys, thematic underwear was a godsend.  Oldest one got his Batman undies and accidents were a thing of the past. Younger one was into Spongebob and Spiderman.  He had some struggles similar to what you're describing into his 3's and 4's.  After he got the underwear it stopped.  Not sure if it was pride in having their favorite characters on their ass( no pedo) or if it just drove awareness.  End result is that it worked.  Sometimes the why really didn't matter.

• Like 1

No idea if shes fuckin with you or not...my 4.5 yr old wasnt "fully" trained until like 3.5 but we did potty prizes every time she told us she had to go and went successfully which im sure you've done

We've been super lazy on night time training but we'll worry about that a later date lol

No idea if shes fuckin with you or not...my 4.5 yr old wasnt "fully" trained until like 3.5 but we did potty prizes every time she told us she had to go and went successfully which im sure you've done

We've been super lazy on night time training but we'll worry about that a later date lol

She has been fully night trained for a long time... has no problem getting up in the middle
of the night to go. As we speak it’s been a week since any accidents so I almost think it’s an attention thing.

Oh and we have loads of Anna and Elsa undies in this house.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:18 AM, Modessit said:
On 11/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, Jkwellborn said:

That was always a massive fear of mine, but we were pretty fortunate to not have either kid have one. My nephew has had a couple though

I'm just glad my daughter hasn't had the issue.

Well, I had a run in with the febrile seizures 2 weeks ago with the youngest (19 months). Never had any with the oldest.

I feel kind of pissed that no one brought it up when the 1st one happened. I get it bc she didn’t present with a fever by the time the paramedics showed up. Urgent care confirmed an ear infection, but didn’t say anything about fever management bc she has such a low one when she was at the urgent care (~100?)

Next day shit spiked to 103 and ambulance came again and took her straight To the hospital.

Poor kid. Mom and nannie were a wreck. I for some reason kept really cool but I generally do in these situations.

I haven’t gotten any bills yet... 

Medical bills are a sport that I hate to play, but refuse to lose at. It’s both absurdly funny and infuriating when I see the sticker price ... even after the negotiated insurance rate.

6 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

She has been fully night trained for a long time... has no problem getting up in the middle
of the night to go. As we speak it’s been a week since any accidents so I almost think it’s an attention thing.

Oh and we have loads of Anna and Elsa undies in this house.

Yeah I'm going with an attention thing.  You say there's a baby and she is probably looking for some of the attention that the baby is getting.  If she's gone a week without it happening then maybe she is past it.  Still try to give her extra individual attention.

Well, I had a run in with the febrile seizures 2 weeks ago with the youngest (19 months). Never had any with the oldest.

I feel kind of pissed that no one brought it up when the 1st one happened. I get it bc she didn’t present with a fever by the time the paramedics showed up. Urgent care confirmed an ear infection, but didn’t say anything about fever management bc she has such a low one when she was at the urgent care (~100?)
Next day shit spiked to 103 and ambulance came again and took her straight To the hospital.
Poor kid. Mom and nannie were a wreck. I for some reason kept really cool but I generally do in these situations.
I haven’t gotten any bills yet... 
Medical bills are a sport that I hate to play, but refuse to lose at. It’s both absurdly funny and infuriating when I see the sticker price ... even after the negotiated insurance rate.
Yes, fever management is a big deal. At the very first sign of any temp rise we start hitting him with alternating Motrin and Tylenol every 2-3 hrs for at least 24 hrs. My wife sleeps with him just in case he has one but I'm not sure he's ever had one while asleep. His last one was last month while in the bathtub. I'm pretty sure that one was my wife's fault. Son had a high fever for a few days and was shivering. Wife thought she'd put him in a warm bath to "warm him up" (I thought she was giving him a cooling bath) and he had the seizure there. She screamed for me and I went to pull him out onto the floor. The seizure ended about 10 seconds after he was out of the water.

My son is 6 now. He's supposed to be growing out of it. In that time I think he's had 10 or 11 seizures total with sometimes 1.5 yrs going between them. Our doc says that if it goes on much longer they'll want to do another neurology check. The last one (at age 3) came back normal.

My twins turned 2 a month ago. Last night they were hopping together and counting each hop. They count to ten but one of them always skips four. Is it because she hits her head on shit all the time? Should we return her? Maybe she can get by without four...

My twins turned 2 a month ago. Last night they were hopping together and counting each hop. They count to ten but one of them always skips four. Is it because she hits her head on shit all the time? Should we return her? Maybe she can get by without four...
My 1.5 yr old went from super easy to a terror over Christmas vacation. We need to stick together guys

On 1/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 1/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, B00M said:

My 1.5 yr old went from super easy to a terror over Christmas vacation. We need to stick together guys

Little girl became much more difficult to manage at about 2.5. Stuggled to get through the 3's with lots of attitude and very little listening. Now she is 4 and I really hoped things would start clicking for her but dayum she is strong willed.

late show ugh GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

8 hours ago, next2naus said:

my 2.5 YO daughter climbs out of her crib like a ninja. silent assassin. her twin brother has not made the move to flip himself over the crib rail, but he will big kids beads have been ordered. 

Get some sleep man. You syntax is showing. 

11mo has been going to bed at about 8pm every night for months.. we jammie him up, he gets the boob, then passes out. The last few weeks he's decided that after the boob he's gonna be possessed by the devil. Like full on crazy noises and that "I'm gonna murder you in your sleep" look. I find it hilarious but it wears his mom out and she has to be up at 5am. His middle name is Franklin. We call him Frank the Tank when this happens. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Like 2

my 2.5 YO daughter climbs out of her crib like a ninja. silent assassin. her twin brother has not made the move to flip himself over the crib rail, but he will big kids beads have been ordered. 

Time to convert it to a toddler bed once they can get out on their own. Surprisingly they usually stay in bed until they're ready to get up in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...