Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Boy clowned me yesterday.  Took the family to Amy's Ice Cream after lunch. Line moving kinda slow.  He knows that Mexican Vanilla is my all time favorite flavor and I rarely order something that doesn't involve MV. So while we are standing in line, 3 or so people in front of us and maybe 9 or 10 behind us.

Wife:  Idle chit chat blah blah blah. So what are you going to order Stasis...

Me:  Not really sure.

Boy (loud and deadpan): Probably a Mexican Martini.

Line was laughing their ass off. 

My wife was embarrassed. I gave him a high five. 

• Haha 1

So I read my oldest (18yo) the riot act this weekend.  Caught him lying to me (again).  Wasn't where we thought he was (or where he was supposed to be).  I'm drawing lines in the sand and explaining what his future is going to look like with respect to my support depending upon his decision making going forward.  I ask him if there is anything else he wants to come clean about while we're already clearing the air (so I don't hold it against him down the line).  He meekly replies, "Well, I'm not a virgin."  Uhhh... Not really what I meant, but thanks for sharing.

Congrats to the new and soon to be dads. 

I was about to put this in the stupid wives thread but it’s more an annoyance. My 3 year old bit another kid at school today. I explain that she can’t do that. I ask her if she would like it if someone bit her and she says no. I tell her that she can’t watch cartoons tonight and that if she is good tomorrow she can. Wife gets home and I tell her what happened and that she can’t watch cartoons as punishment. Not 5 damn minutes later does my wife ask her if she wants to watch toy story. What in the actual fuck?  Sorry to blog, but it is annoying as hell. Have to be a unified front. 

On 3/26/2018 at 9:36 AM, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Without my input, my wife invited both pre-K classes to the oldest's birthday party (30 kids + associated parents/siblings) at the house.  Only 4 nos so far. 

On 3/26/2018 at 9:44 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

Thoughts and Prayers. 

uTt9cvP.gif

Edited by vox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Congrats to the new and soon to be dads. 

I was about to put this in the stupid wives thread but it’s more an annoyance. My 3 year old bit another kid at school today. I explain that she can’t do that. I ask her if she would like it if someone bit her and she says no. I tell her that she can’t watch cartoons tonight and that if she is good tomorrow she can. Wife gets home and I tell her what happened and that she can’t watch cartoons as punishment. Not 5 damn minutes later does my wife ask her if she wants to watch toy story. What in the actual fuck?  Sorry to blog, but it is annoying as hell. Have to be a unified front. 

My wife constantly does this with everything. She doesn't get the concept of being a parent. I take away something, she gives it back "because they were bitching."  No shit woman, they are fucking kids, they bitch. If you give in every time you train them the solution is to bitch to get their way. So fucking ragey.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

We moved my son to a new school and put him in a alternative class for kids with emotional issues.  It seems to be working.  He decided to get mad at an older kid and yell at him.  Older kid jumped at my son, something no other child has done before.  My son ran like hell to the teacher.  He has not been yelling at kids since. :)

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My wife constantly does this with everything. She doesn't get the concept of being a parent. I take away something, she gives it back "because they were bitching."  No shit woman, they are fucking kids, they bitch. If you give in every time you train them the solution is to bitch to get their way. So fucking ragey.

This is my sister in law, thankfully not my wife, but her kids behavior influences mine due to how much time they spend together so it still drives me up the wall.

She tells her kids not to do something or that they can't have something and they throw a huge fit.  So she threatens them again with something bad, and they continue throwing a fit.  Finally she just gives in and let's them do or have what they wanted originally, saying something like "they don't listen anyway."  Well, no shit, where do you think they learned not to listen?

Thankfully my wife and I both see this and are probably harder on our son as a result, but we're never getting to that point.  Eventually her sister is either going to have to dig herself out of a big hole of kids not caring what you say, or the kids are going to run all over her for the next 10-15 years.  I wouldn't want to be in her situation, because both options suck. 

5 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

We moved my son to a new school and put him in a alternative class for kids with emotional issues.  It seems to be working.  He decided to get mad at an older kid and yell at him.  Older kid jumped at my son, something no other child has done before.  My son ran like hell to the teacher.  He has not been yelling at kids since. :)

My wife was asking me if I'd heard back from you about this. 

On 3/25/2018 at 6:23 PM, hornian said:

Are kid’s butts (no pedo) allowed on this thread? Got a pretty great pic of my 2.5 year old throwing rocks in the lake in his birthday suit but don’t want either the thread police or the real police showing up. 

QMMcytq.gif

• Like 1

So we are trying to teach our girls Portuguese. So far Gabi (3) understands about 80% of what we say to her. But she replies in English. I guess that is normal. Tonight I asked her to tell me a few words like “orange”, “car”, “belly” in Portuguese. Up until now she wouldn’t understand let alone answer my question but tonight she told me about 5 words in Portuguese. I am pretty stoked. 

12 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Yeah, my wife does this as well. Can't be their friend all the time. Sometimes you gotta beat that ass.  

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My wife is totally undermining when it comes to discipline and setting consistent standards.

But she's got a great ass and figure for pushing close to 40 and 3 kids. 

Rules goddammit...RULES!

12 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

6 hours ago, Modessit said:

My wife was asking me if I'd heard back from you about this. 

Showed it to my wife. She said that when kids who are borderline with emotional behavior issues get put into the class with the kids with serious issues, it's often a wake-up call and their behavior modifies itself pretty quickly. She wouldn't be surprised if he's moved back to mainstream classes after a while of learning to control his outbursts. 

That’s similar to what his Teacher said.  She’s told us it’s different having a kid that is just young vs some of the kids she deals with that have serious psychological issues.  He’s 6.5, too smart and hard headed.  He’s starting to get it though.

Ugh, every time we make plans to go out something happens. Right now the kiddo is running a 101.5 fever. My wife is asleep and doesn't know this yet, and while it shouldn't be something to worry too much about since it isn't that high I'm betting she will cancel plans for our date night the second she hears this.

Ugh, every time we make plans to go out something happens. Right now the kiddo is running a 101.5 fever. My wife is asleep and doesn't know this yet, and while it shouldn't be something to worry too much about since it isn't that high I'm betting she will cancel plans for our date night the second she hears this.

For our five year anniversary in Dec 2016 we went to NYC for three nights, my son (2.5yo at the time) was running a fever the day we left + our daughter was only 5 months old. There was a dark cloud over the entire trip that darkened anything we did, didn’t even get laid. I’d almost rather have stayed home with the kids, drank beer and watched football where I had some control vs being solely at the mercy of updates from the babysitter 1,000 miles away.

I feel ya. Date night is different, but I still regret wasting money on a no-kids trip where neither of us really enjoyed it.

Now I tell our sitters I don’t want to hear about it unless they think they need a doc visit or have questions.

You’re not alone man, first kiddo is sick and she’s still a new mommy...they share a connection we don’t understand and every woman is different in their level of anxiety.

You are on the right idea, you go by their behavior and not the number when it comes to a fever (outside newborns or extraordinary circumstances). 10 months is still quite young though, I’d have been on the fence about a date night at that age and I’m pretty chill about illness with my kids...having been through it all with my two (high fevers, bad CBC/unknown infections, tubes, overnight observations for breathing events, allergy tests, reflux in a newborn, etc).

But overall totally get you, you’re coming out of that newborn stage and want to get a few pieces of your wife back. I’ve got a 18mo and 4yo, I only seem to really get my wife back when we get an overnight sitter + a hotel room...we have the occasional chat about not wanting to pass by this cute/fun stage but looking forward to a future where they’re not quite so 100% hands on.

Good luck hoss.